• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since xbox has dev mode which allows user to use non-official xbox programs like emulators, what's stopping someone from making custom edge browser or some other browser that bypasses this block?
In theory nothing other than the fact that it would be way more work than is really justified to stream all of 3 games

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.

ejzx66758td51.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Do games run well at all through the browser on the Xbox? I feel like last time he brought up something similar it technically worked but ran like shit

Also highly doubt this is a deliberate removal, it's not like this is a highly touted feature. More likely a compatibility issue.

Last edited:

Deleted member 95442

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2021
Is that a big deal? I mean if you are streaming it anyway just stream it on an old laptop and hook it up with TV. The Xbox controller works well with Windows anyway.

It may be a bit inconvenient but hardly a big issue I would assume.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
That cheating post is so telling. War never changes.

Let's be honest though, the vast majority of people that are going to go to this much trouble to play Death Stranding on Xbox are just just doing it so they can be like "har har look at me playing a Sony game on Xbox" just like I'm sure what Tom Warren was trying to do when he found this out.

Just stream the game on all the other supported devices, problem solved. There is no inherent benefit to streaming Death Stranding on Xbox.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Kinda side tangent: GeForce Now works on Xbox Edge now? I tried this like a week or two ago and it said Edge wasn't a supported browser since it wasn't literally Chrome.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I don't think any MS or other Sony games are available through GeForce now, so Death Stranding not working makes sense.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
I would have been surprised if it actually worked. I am sure the agreement between 505 and Sony restricts the platforms the game can show up on.

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
If you play Sony games on PC or Xbox via streaming, you cheated not only the game, but yourself. You didn't grow. You didn't improve. You took a shortcut and gained nothing. You experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that you don't know the difference.
Perfect summary of the silly post from earlier lol.

Chossen

Nov 26, 2017
Let's be honest though, the vast majority of people that are going to go to this much trouble to play Death Stranding on Xbox are just just doing it so they can be like "har har look at me playing a Sony game on Xbox" just like I'm sure what Tom Warren was trying to do when he found this out.

Just stream the game on all the other supported devices, problem solved. There is no inherent benefit to streaming Death Stranding on Xbox.

Basically that's the thing.

Apr 12, 2021

Shouldn't he know better though? This is a complete non-issue and has nothing to do with Sony restricting something specifically on Xbox devices, but something he could've confirmed with a little digging is now being used as 'SONY IS ANTI-CONSUMER' bait and people are eating it up, based on his twitter responses.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
No, it's not. Sony didn't promise you a GeForce version of the game when you bought it, and they most certainly didn't promise you to be able to play it on Xbox.

Streaming or native, Sony like every other first party doesn't want their exclusives to be played on other consoles. If you think this's anti consumer, then every exclusive is anti consumer by definition.

GeForce Now is basically a remote desktop service. They provide rented hardware and you get to install games that you already own. I don't see how Sony can have any legal power over someone's preferred PC hardware.

I actually wish Nvidia had taken this to court back when publishers started demanding their games be blacklisted. What is the legal justification for banning certain software? Nvidia isn't profiting from the sale, and it is up to the user to install the things they want to play. Nvidia just rents people the hardware over the internet. Would it be different if they shipped the user a physical PC instead of a remote connection? It's ridiculous.

Almyn

Oct 26, 2017
N-Ireland
Is Sekiro back yet? I bought it to play on geforce now when I was without an Xbox or ps4 and then it got removed because of Activision or something, During the time when geforce now went to a subscription payment. I don't want to pay ÂŁ60 for the Xbox Series S version when I own it on Steam. Especially as the Series S version isn't even 60fps

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
GeForce Now is basically a remote desktop service. They provide rented hardware and you get to install games that you already own. I don't see how Sony can have any legal power over someone's preferred PC hardware.

I actually wish Nvidia had taken this to court back when publishers started demanding their games be blacklisted. What is the legal justification for banning certain software? Nvidia isn't profiting from the sale, and it is up to the user to install the things they want to play. Nvidia just rents people the hardware over the internet. Would it be different if they shipped the user a physical PC instead of a remote connection? It's ridiculous.

The justification is that no one legally owns the game besides the publisher and even end-users purchasing the game on Steam etc are still bound by the terms of the licensing agreement. If publishers don't want a third party streaming their software for a monthly fee, then it's not happening.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Any legal justification in either direction doesn't realistically matter because Nvidia has no interest in seriously damaging their relations with major business partners for a tiny fraction of their overall business. Publishers are more than capable of banning the use of remote desktops through their licensing agreements if they want to. Short of legislation that specifically enshrines consumers' right to use remote desktops publishers will always have the upper hand.

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Can other browsers be used on dev mode?
If so, geforce now can be used on that browser?

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Sheesh that is petty. I mean someone bought your game and you're gonna say "nope" because of their browser user agent? lol

bob1001

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 7, 2020
Considering Days Gone and Horizon aren't on Geforce Now I'm guessing this wasn't Sony since their position is clearly to just not allow their games on the service at all (which is also Microsoft's position).

I'm guessing 505 or Nvidia was cool with putting the game on there, but since Sony still own the rights to the IP they'd rather not push their buttons and risk Sony wanting to remove the game from Gefore Now so they blocked it.

Kazuma Kiryu

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Disparaging journalism, trolling, drive-by posting; prior related infractions
Shouldn't he know better though? This is a complete non-issue and has nothing to do with Sony restricting something specifically on Xbox devices, but something he could've confirmed with a little digging is now being used as 'SONY IS ANTI-CONSUMER' bait and people are eating it up, based on his twitter responses.

Tom Warren? Know better? Oh man, some of you really believe in gaming "journalists" I see.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

What a bunch of complete nonsense. Most people who own a Series S or X would want to play the game from the comfort of their couch, and don't give a fuck about any of that bullshit.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Why are people talking about games that they "own" in this thread but then discussing games that they've just bought a license to play?