• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Just checked with my editor in chief, I am allowed to translate my entire Dutch review of Death Stranding to English for the review topic on Resetera come november 1st. End of message, don't want to break any embargo. See you november 1st!

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I know I know, no fun allowed, but just reaffirming that there isn't any hint in my previous (or this) post. I don't want to lose my job.

Just being a good marketing chap for our website while also scoring some cheap resetera points ;)

In other words, all in good fun.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
So, review and video review with nothing past chapter 3 on Nov 1.
On nov 7 reviewers are allowed to go more in depth.
There's a third embargo, days after release, when reviewers can discuss late game stuff.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I know I know, no fun allowed, but just reaffirming that there isn't any hint in my previous (or this) post. I don't want to lose my job.

Just being a good marketing chap for our website while also scoring some cheap resetera points ;)

3/10 goddamn :o. Don't worry fam, I can read between the lines. :)

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if people in this thread are trolling or actually losing their minds.

All_Right_Then%2C_Keep_Your_Secrets.jpg

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
There's a third embargo, days after release, when reviewers can discuss late game stuff.
Wow, so is it possible that reviews are gonna come out "unfinished" on Nov 1st, and talk only about the first part of the game, and they won't be able to note before they can talk about the totality of the game after release?

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Wow, so is it possible that reviews are gonna come out "unfinished" on Nov 1st, and talk only about the first part of the game, and they won't be able to note before they can talk about the totality of the game after release?
You can share your impressions on the full game on November 1 (in fact, the NDA very explicitly says you must complete the game before you review it); you just can't share direct spoilers or footage from beyond Chapter 3.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
You can share your impressions on the full game on November 1 (in fact, the NDA very explicitly says you must complete the game before you review it); you just can't share direct spoilers or footage from beyond Chapter 3.
But how can a review talk about their impressions of the full game on Nov 1st if they can't talk about ch 4 and beyond untill the game is out or later? Like can they say "I can't talk about what comes after ch 3, but it is good/bad, I'll tell more on Nov 8" on Nov 1st? Or they can't even mention it?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you are talking about few bugs that shouldn't change the score of a good game .gears 5 had bugs for me that I couldn't progress in campaign (robot wouldn't go on the right place for the story to continue ) but I didn't think it should have been scored lowered as I knew they would iron it out .

Yeah gears 5 was actually pretty darn bad for bugs at launch. I agree.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
But how can a review talk about their impressions of the full game on Nov 1st if they can't talk about ch 4 and beyond untill the game is out or later? Like can they say "I can't talk about what comes after ch 3, but it is good/bad, I'll tell more on Nov 8" on Nov 1st? Or they can't even mention it?
Seems like you can mention stuff but just no direct spoilers regarding beyond chapter 3?

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Like, "You will enjoy where the story ends up going, and how thematically cogent it is" or "while Death Stranding poses some provocative questions, it never actually does much with them, leading to setup with no payoff". In both those cases, I shared an impression without sharing a specific. This is allowed.

On the other hand, something like "by the end of the story, Bridges is revealed to be Solid Snake's long lost third cousin" is a direct spoiler, since it explicitly shares a story detail. This is not allowed.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can totally say whether or not the content is good, but you can't SHOW the content itself or talk about specific details about the plot (spoilers, character motivations, etc) after Ch. 3.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They can't show it in videos but can talk about the experience of it

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Like, "You will enjoy where the story ends up going, and how thematically cogent it is" or "while Death Stranding poses some provocative questions, it never actually does much with them, leading to setup with no payoff". In both those cases, I shared an impression without sharing a specific. This is allowed.

On the other hand, something like "by the end of the story, Bridges is revealed to be Solid Snake's long lost third cousin" is a direct spoiler, since it explicitly shares a story detail. This is not allowed.
Ok yeah, so reviews from Nov 1st will be definitive since they will have to have finished the game, but details will have to wait for after ch4. Interesting, I'm sure some smart ones will try to make some winks or foreshadowing in their Nov 1st review then :)

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Ok yeah, so reviews from Nov 1st will be definitive since they will have to have finished the game, but details will have to wait for after ch4. Interesting, I'm sure some smart ones will try to make some winks or foreshadowing in their Nov 1st review then :)
Yes. Reviewers are explicitly supposed to finish the game before they review it, so any reviews you see will very clearly be based on impressions of the full thing. Specifics of the full thing will have to wait till later (November 7 is the day you can talk about the full thing, I think).

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Of course you can,above chapter 3 probably has stuff they don't want spoiled,they can for example says about the game progression and pace,gameplay,but not spoiler exactly what happens after chapter 3 or new mechanics or tools,like God of War 2018.I will not read any review,but I will be in the review thread reading the quotes and reactions,and I am glad they are trying to secure the reviews don't spoil the entire game which a lot of them do with screenshots and comments.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
All the hoopla surrounding this game sounds like it's gonna review quite well. From everything I've seen about this game I have no interest in it but all this hype is making me reconsider.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Of course you can,above chapter 3 probably has stuff they don't want spoiled,they can for example says about the game progression and pace,gameplay,but not spoiler exactly what happens after chapter 3 or new mechanics or tools,like God of War 2018.I will not read any review,but I will be in the review thread reading the quotes and reactions,and I am glad they are trying to secure the reviews don't spoil the entire game which a lot of them do with screenshots and comments.
Yeah this is pretty cool, reviews from nov 1st will have a lot of teasing lol

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
So what's the difference between Nov. 7's more indepth and late game stuff after game releases?

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
So we can expect some crazy twists to gameplay etc after chapter 3?
Not necessarily. Embargoes often pick cut off points arbitrarily. As one example, Persona 5's review embargo forbade anything from beyond 7/7 from being shared. This would imply that the story takes a turn beyond 7/7, and it... doesn't. It was just one random date.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Not necessarily. Embargoes often pick cut off points arbitrarily. As one example, Persona 5's review embargo forbade anything from beyond 7/7 from being shared. This would imply that the story takes a turn beyond 7/7, and it... doesn't. It was just one random date.
Sure but here it really seems there is something more, between the talk of that pivotal point which makes anybody cry, the absolute silence on anything Hades etc. I'd be really surprised if it ends up that chap 3 ending is not something surprising and that changes stuff regarding how the game is played

Becomes a racer after chapter 3, Kojima is a mad lad
I still cling on to my hope that the endgame is a Sim City like where your littreraly rebuild cities, roads etc. Mayor Sam ! ^^

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Sure but here it really seems there is something more, between the talk of that pivotal point which makes anybody cry, the absolute silence on anything Hades etc. I'd be really surprised if it ends up that chap 3 ending is not something surprising and that changes stuff regarding how the game is played
I'm not saying there isn't anything in the later game that's pivotal. I'm saying that this may not be the specific inflection point where the story takes a turn. That's it.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not saying there isn't anything in the later game that's pivotal. I'm saying that this may not be the specific inflection point where the story takes a turn. That's it.
Yeah I know you said that, but from what we know and have seen of the mission structures and the game (from the first part), it really seems that the 10 hours mark coincides with 3 chapters done, and seems to be also around where there is that point of the game that made anyone playing it cry. I don't know, seems to me like it does not seem like a random choice in this case

Edit : OR it's yet another Kojima troll, and then ending of Ch 3 has nothing special, but the first scene of Ch 4 is where it's at ^^

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ

Good guy post...

you must be a good guy :-)

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually good. It will stop some reviewers from spoiling too much.
Had hope that this was about Death Stranding, a game he "couldn't stop playing".

You are reading too much into this.
If I had two games I had to play before their embargos lift I would focus on the one that lifts like 10 days earlier so I can have as much information as possible to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.