Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Why are ppl surprised that PlayStation Access, one of the official YouTube channels for PlayStation UK, put out a positive video about the latest PS4 exclusive?

I do think that it's funny video in a sense that I have never seen someone be this excited and hyped about game that combined walking sim, fetch quests and encumbrance.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are ppl surprised that PlayStation Access, one of the official YouTube channels for PlayStation UK, put out a positive video about the latest PS4 exclusive?

Nobody is surprised, but it's a great video that encapsulates many of the reasons why the vast majority of reviews are so positive about the game.

I do think that it's funny video in a sense that I have never seen someone be this excited and hyped about game that combined walking sim, fetch quests and encumbrance.

Have you actually read any of the 44 different 90 and above reviews of the game? I'm talking the actual content of the reviews. Many are actually considerably more glowing, excited and hyped about the game than he is in the video, so the fact that you've never seen anyone else as excited about the game makes it seem as though you've only been reading or paying attention to the minority of negative impressions.

Oct 27, 2017
Neil Druckmann tweeted a friendly congratulatory message the other day, in which he says "...I love the feeling of exploration it creates -- the closest a game has felt to real hiking..." And the Dark1x/Digital Foundry video has some interesting notes on the traversal systems in the game, starting at the 9min6sec mark:
...This is combined with a robust animation system designed to simulate weight and movement across rocky surfaces. As you run, Sam will plant his feet according to the terrain type and incline. When hiking up or down a steep hill, for instance, he shifts his weight into the slope realistically. Gear bounces around on his back while additional animations such as [this] are integrated directly into his movement cycle...
This ties directly into the traversal system which I feel is handled in an interesting way. You see, in most open-world games you spend a lot of time moving from point A to point B, but doing so requires little effort from the part of the player. It's usually just a matter of holding forward towards a waypoint. In Death Stranding, however, the terrain itself is a challenge, and extra cargo only serves to increase that challenge. There's actual momentum here: when you're weighed down you can't just stop on a dime, especially on a steep hill...
It's this management of speed, balance, momentum and positioning that makes the act of hiking across the world more complex and engaging than usual, and the animation plays a huge role in selling this. There are plenty of other foes you'll encounter along the way, and each of them is as well animated and interesting to observe as Sam. Basically, when it comes to character animation and rendering, Death Stranding is a showpiece title, and importantly it remains responsive during all of this with low input latency on movement, so any delay you do encounter is tied directly to the weight limits or momentum...

So out of curiosity, for folks reading the thread, are there any excerpts from reviews (written or video) that you think are particularly noteworthy/useful/insightful, on the subject of the traversal systems in Death Stranding? Either descriptions/analyses of how the systems work, or impressions/opinions on how the systems feel in practice. Positive or negative, would be curious to see.

Financial Post Review: "...You wouldn't think a person could have much fun spending scores of hours (this is a very, very long game) simulating the life of a delivery man, but Kojima has made it oddly and undeniably compelling. The mechanics at play in controlling Sam's centre of gravity by stacking stuff on his back and limbs based on size and weight are addictive. And shifting his weight by using the triggers to lean left and right — or simply grabbing his pack's shoulder straps for a boost to stability — feels intuitive and right..."
Newsweek Review: "...One of the most hyped game releases in recent memory, Death Stranding defines itself by eerie imagery of dead whales, baby-powered devices and 'Beached Things' crossing over into our world. But whatever bizarre directions Death Stranding takes, buried at its center is a graceful, inventive and surprisingly simple gameplay experience. […] Much more harrowing is delivering a fragile package over rough terrain, forcing you to a tense crawl, like the trucks delivering sensitive explosives over bumpy mountain roads in 1953 movie The Wages of Fear. […] This makes Death Stranding the best video game about hiking ever made. Finding new mountain passes, dropping ladders across gaps for other players, rappelling down sheer cliffs or recovering your balance right before Sam faceplants at the bottom of a chaotic run down a fellfield—this is Death Stranding at its most satisfying. But describing specific gameplay instances doesn't convey the overall sensation of traversing Death Stranding's substantial open-world map: a combination of rhythm, tactile landscape, rewarding vistas and awe before nature. […] The controls also reflect just how close Death Stranding draws you into its environment and into Sam's body, like the pinch of QWOP in the way R2 and L2 are dedicated to grasping the left and right straps of your backpack to recenter Sam's gravity. Every other interface is equally well-refined and loaded with contextually powerful information, like the functions of the cryptic, spinning odradek scanner, which become [second nature] with experience..."

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
"Much more harrowing is delivering a fragile package over rough terrain, forcing you to a tense crawl, like the trucks delivering sensitive explosives over bumpy mountain roads in 1953 movie The Wages of Fear. […] This makes Death Stranding the best video game about hiking ever made."

I love these movies.

71nsAhMvvcL._SX342_.jpg

1*0FmkthJ5-IyqwnyjqC9JyA.jpeg
martian-IN.jpg

ARCTIC_UK_ONE_SHEET-600x873.jpg

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
"Much more harrowing is delivering a fragile package over rough terrain, forcing you to a tense crawl, like the trucks delivering sensitive explosives over bumpy mountain roads in 1953 movie The Wages of Fear. […] This makes Death Stranding the best video game about hiking ever made."

I love these movies.

71nsAhMvvcL._SX342_.jpg

1*0FmkthJ5-IyqwnyjqC9JyA.jpeg
martian-IN.jpg

ARCTIC_UK_ONE_SHEET-600x873.jpg
Well I know which ones I'm watching this week. 👍

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Did you even watch the video or decide it was a great idea to call it content bias as a knee jerk reflex?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It will be insane if this game makes walking simulators mainstream and something few other AAA studios will pop out over next few years.
Sounds appealing to me but I think it would become as hated as the QTE after it was popularized by Yu Suzuki. You know… how can something that isn't gratifying violence, be worthwhile?

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It will be insane if this game makes walking simulators mainstream and something few other AAA studios will pop out over next few years.
I've seen some takes that this game will influence traversal in future open world games, changing it from filler to engaging gameplay on its own. Remains to be seen if it'll happen.

Another take I've seen (which may also have been Tim Rogers, not sure) is that this game is Kojima closing out this decade of gameplay trends in a neat little package, combining walking as a central mechanic from walking simulators, with the crafting and survival of Minecraft and the online shared world features of Souls

LoneWolfHunter

Banned for abusing Giftbot
Banned
Aug 27, 2019
It's meaningless. In the Giant Bomb Quick Look, Brad was able to give 474 likes to an item in under 15 seconds. That whole system sounds completely broken.
I don't see how that makes it meaningless. From what I understood you don't gain anything with the likes, so it's not something that's exploitable, and if someone decided to give your structure extra likes, that certainly means something...

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how that makes it meaningless. From what I understood you don't gain anything with the likes, so it's not something that's exploitable, and if someone decided to give your structure extra likes, that certainly means something...
I've seen multiple reviews state that it's actually currency that is used to purchase and upgrade items, you don't only get likes from other players but as a reward for completing missons from NPCs. The further the player has progressed in the game the more likes at once he can give to a structure. But to say any random number makes it exploitable is weird. It's a currency in a videogame which means it was somebody's job to balance those numbers and make it work into the progression of the game.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
i think as it is often with games: time will tell

how will this game be seen in 6months, in 2 years, in 5 years, in a decade? i think time is very important when it comes to games. for example no one thought that Demon´s Souls would end as a cult classic a decade later.

things are often distorted in the hype, therefore time is the unit which tells us the truth about many games

I think peoples reaction when actually playing the game is far more important than the supposed verdict of history.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I think peoples reaction when actually playing the game is far more important than the supposed verdict of history.

Quite. Time also distances people from the experience, meaning other factors come into play. Hindsight is infinitely more helpful than stupid hype, but it's not perfect.

Dusker

Jul 6, 2018
As someone with 200+ hours logged in Elite Dangerous doing nothing but hauling cargo and exploring the emptiness of space for the sole purpose of seeing amazing vistas, it sounds like DS has been made for me. Just a few more days!

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird if I'm looking forward to the (hopefully) meditative quality of the traversal in this game? The idea of delivering packages just seems kind of relaxing to me.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

People don't just like the video because its really positive about the game, they like it because it breaks down a lot of the elements, big and small, that make the game special and unique.

People are fucking stoked for the Microsoft Flight Simulator and its adherence to the reality of flying a plane. Farming Simulator is a million plus seller about doing farmwork without the veneer of a AAA powerhouse budget and graphics. Even fantastical games like Elite Dangerous can focus on "mundane" activities like shipping cargo from one place to another for a lot of people. I'm not sure why folks are surprised or confused that their is an audience for games that go in depth on the more everyday actions we take and gamify them when there are tons of games out there with ardent fanbases already doing that in some form or another.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ign review really did hurt the reception the reaction to the game would have been so much different

It's a big sticking point for many casual players or those on the fence yes.

If that score came from some newspaper no one would really bat an eye.

Even a 7/10 wouldn't have caused as much drama.

Weirdly the review itself feels a lot more complimentary than some of the higher scoring reviews.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
The ign review really did hurt the reception the reaction to the game would have been so much different
Yep. IGN is such a massive outlet that even if the game has gotten the most perfect scores of anything released this year it was always going to skew the discourse surrounding this game. A lot of people did not like it from the get go and even if it had gotten a +90 on meta they still would not have liked it, but IGN was the validation they needed.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Edge magazine would probably give even lower score based on comments, but sadly or fortunately the person won't finish it and won't give it a final score, so not gonna impact metacritic

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
It really is strange to read some of these reviews that are extremely lukewarm or raise many, many concerns about the gameplay of the game, and then a 9/10 pops up at the end and it leaves you wondering how that score appeared.

Moneyhats!1! /s

No but seriously, that threw me off too. All I could think of was how ruthless the score would be if this was an indie or an average developer.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Is it weird if I'm looking forward to the (hopefully) meditative quality of the traversal in this game? The idea of delivering packages just seems kind of relaxing to me.

I play games before bed to relax and wind down. The idea of this game alone sounds perfect to me. I spent most of my time in BOTW just... walking. Got around to finishing the game eventually. You're not alone in your sentiment.

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. IGN is such a massive outlet that even if the game has gotten the most perfect scores of anything released this year it was always going to skew the discourse surrounding this game. A lot of people did not like it from the get go and even if it had gotten a +90 on meta they still would not have liked it, but IGN was the validation they needed.

As sarcastic as you are it's really not too hard to believe how big of an outlet IGN is and there influence on mainstream reviews

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing mention that review guidelines say that you have to had finished playthrough in order to review the game.

How they would check on such thing who knows.

I remember seeing the tweets from the Edge guy saying the review won't be in the next issue, but I assumed it would be in the issue after that.

Either way I feel if Edge do score the game that'll lower the meta further.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
People are fucking stoked for the Microsoft Flight Simulator and its adherence to the reality of flying a plane. Farming Simulator is a million plus seller about doing farmwork without the veneer of a AAA powerhouse budget and graphics. Even fantastical games like Elite Dangerous can focus on "mundane" activities like shipping cargo from one place to another for a lot of people. I'm not sure why folks are surprised or confused that their is an audience for games that go in depth on the more everyday actions we take and gamify them when there are tons of games out there with ardent fanbases already doing that in some form or another.

The difference is fan reaction. Nobody invests these games with the mythos of Kojima. Of course, none of these games also feature the typically overblown, thematically heavy stories, and I reckon it's that combination ('mundane' gameplay and Kojima's style) that causes the fuss - positive and negative. Ditto the 'AAA' label which imo is such an unhelpful, distorting influence.