• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It's very weird. Era is always asking for new IPs and unique concepts. We always have to hear about complaints about devs doing sequels to great games. How they should be doing new IPs and "it's a waste of talent".

And we finally get a new IP & unique concept that fits the bill and people are going to skip it for "reasons" without even touching, trying or playing the game.
People don't need logic for bad takes. Just yesterday this forum was shitting on Redfall because it's not an Arkane-style immersive sim, but Deathloop seems to basically be a spiritual successor to the Dishonored series, and yet people still aren't happy.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
This is 100% on that level. It's a LOT like Dishonored.

This is 100% Dishonored with a time loop. Shocked at how much like Dishonored 3 it feels actually. If you love Dishonored you'll love this I think.

Well, this is heartening to hear lol.
Like I said I'm buying it anyways but that's exciting that it has that Dishonored feel. There isn't much else like it out there that I've ever found.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's very weird. Era is always asking for new IPs and unique concepts. We always have to hear about complaints about devs doing sequels to great games. How they should be doing new IPs and "it's a waste of talent".

And we finally get a new IP & unique concept that fits the bill and people are going to skip it for "reasons" without even touching, trying or playing the game.
Era being hypocritical? It can't be

Jake2byFour

Oct 28, 2017
The player is mindlessly running around shooting the AI, so it is hard to judge what is the objective is.

ivalice

Banned
Sep 3, 2021
User banned (3 days): hostility, trolling, account in junior phase

For all the self-righteous grandstanding, in spite of the elitist (not to mention classist) account creation requirements, this place is really no better than your average YouTube comments section.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Some of the comments here are downright embarrassing. No wonder devs don't interact with "fans".

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised by the graphics. It looks much better than what the trailers have shown.

I'm also not bothered by the AI since it's more of a puzzle game than a shooter. It reminds me a bit of how Hitman operates.
Really? Because from everything I've seen of Deathloop there's a lot of shooting going on. Like a lot. I rarely, if ever, shoot in Hitman.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
People complaining about seeing too much footage of this game as if any of it isn't completely optional marketing material are so damn odd.

It's not difficult not to watch trailers. I do it all the time. I'm not watching a trailer right now and I feel pretty good about it.
I, too simply mute the stream and close my eyes during the Deathloop section of a 40 minute showcase.

People who complain about Deathloop footage obviously don't voluntarily watch more trailers of it. People complain about it constantly showing up in State of Plays and the recent big showcase. How is that hard to understand?

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
For all the self-righteous grandstanding, in spite of the elitist (not to mention classist) account creation requirements, this place is really no better than your average YouTube comments section.
Metacommentary on what Era "is" is more tired than new deathloop trailers. It's the internet, with [redacted] moderation.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I'm surprised by the graphics. It looks much better than what the trailers have shown.

I'm also not bothered by the AI since it's more of a puzzle game than a shooter. It reminds me a bit of how Hitman operates.
The impressions that I get from people who have beaten it is pretty much a straight up FPS. The trailers are not reflective of the actual game.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I still have yet to see anything that makes me want to buy the game. The graphics look pretty good. The AI looks awful (if that's how the game is supposed to be played). I have zero interest in repeating the same task over and over gain. Maybe my opinion will change later, but right now it's definitely a no.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The impressions that I get from people who have beaten it is pretty much a straight up FPS. The trailers are not reflective of the actual game.

If people played the game as a FPS no shit it's a straight up FPS, just like Dishonored if you use nothing but guns.

But, no the game is not a straight up FPS unless you want to play it as one.

The trailers are not reflective of the actual game.

Absolutely false.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
The enemies aren't meant to be super hard. The hard part is finding a way to kill all 8 visionaries in one loop. So if anything, the AI being dumbed down for that difficulty is definitely for the better.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
If people played the game as a FPS no shit it's a straight up FPS, just like Dishonored if you use nothing but guns.

But, no the game is not a straight up FPS unless you want to play it as one.

Absolutely false.
Have you played it? I literally just quote from two people who have played and beaten it and those were their exact words

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I thought the point of the game was to solve a big puzzle, going on different routes, and trying out different actions in different orders... AI does seem a bit dumb but in the gameplay scheme of things, they're secondary no?

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I'm excited for this game because it feels like Arkane came with a premise that won't allow me to quick save and quick load my way through a perfect run, but rather make it a bit more Roguelike, like they did in Mooncrash for Prey.

I feel I never tried the combat system in Dishonored fully as the reaction to being discovered was to load up a save and try again. I think that won't be possible in Deathloop!

hog

Mar 9, 2021
Re: the FPS thing - I would say that like Dishonored you can choose between combat and stealth. But while the design of Dishonored pushed you towards playing it as a straight stealth game, this game encourages you to play it as an FPS with occasional stealth where useful.

Ultimately the player has choice, but the game's design pushes you that way for a bunch of reasons. It is however a much better FPS than the gameplay footage in the OP might make you think.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People seem to be willing this to be bad.

I wasn't fond of it on the first reveal but each new trailer sells me more on the concept, I think looking at from normal FPS eyes does it no favours but hands on and decent reviews should hopefully show it better.

There isn't a FPS on the planet that doesn't look like that when you run about like a headless chicken upsetting AI routines and picking fodder in corridors.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
This gameplay just shows that your average gamer is never going to play the game in a creative way instead of "shooting their way" and i'm not surprised if Arkane is going to drastically change their approach on future games.

Arkane wants people to think in their games and not follow the "easiest path" but the audience it's just not there, we saw it with Dishonored 2, Prey and i suspect Deathloop is not going to be a hit either way, which is pretty disappointing.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Reading impressions, I think I get the game now, it sounds like essentially a puzzle game masked as a shooter. Or I guess a sorta First Person Hitman where you are expected to not just blast your way through but figure out the developer intended solutions to assassinating all targets by gathering information first.

Matzpxl

Jun 4, 2019
Brasília, Brazil
It's fucking great. The artstyle and character interactions are the highest points in the game for me. Gameplay wise feels a lot like Dishonored (which is not surprising lol since a lot of powers here are also in Dishonored) but I can compare it to Hitman in a way that you have a lot more freedom to 'setup' assassinations and learn your target's path and behavior. And yeah, AI is dumb as bricks but I don't feel it is a problem.

Colt and Julianna's VA are just *chef's kiss*

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Reading impressions, I think I get the game now, it sounds like essentially a puzzle game masked as a shooter.

If you like Arkane games it's pretty great, yes, it's a big puzzle and really fun to play. The guns might not have Id gunplay or Respawn, but they are much much better compared to Prey and Dishonored weaponry.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't play how I expected, but I see it now. I never made the connection that this was from the people who made Dishonored, but it makes sense now.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
There are no difficulty options.

The AI is dumb as bricks but it's not really the point. They're more set dressing/basic obstacles for the larger world 'puzzle'. Hard to explain but it's really not a concern when you're playing and trying to get through it.
Still ! Jesus, that moment when he throws a grenade and they all jump head first on the control panels and wait for the explosion... It's something.

myth

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 15, 2021
That person has to be playing on an easy mode, right? The AI looks so bad, it looks intentional.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really loving Colt's dialogue and energy. This seems like if Dishonored didn't take itself so seriously and was more about puzzles.

myth (sorry I don't know how to edit in quotes lol). It actually IS intentional. Since it would be super frustrating if the day you're looping in would end if you died (you have like 4 levels you can explore a day - each at a different time of day), they made the AI a little weaker, the other thing is that the player-invader can do some fun things with the AI, so they need to be like that. Personally, without playin the game, I can't attest to if they grow stronger with you, but I hope they do or they patch in some difficulty options. But yeah lol you're absolutely right, it is intentional.