• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AstralSphere

Feb 10, 2021
Yeah. I haven't managed to load in to a game as the invader yet (pre-release so limited people playing) but that mode seems cool as fuck.

There's proper progression as the invader. You unlock new stuff, new weapons to start with, new costumes etc. There's legitimate reasons to play it as the invader. There seems to be story and stuff behind doing it. Loving everything I see of the invader mode. It has equal size billing on the main menu for what it's worth.

How intrusive is that part of the game to the other player?

Only thing that has really put me off as I didn't like the invasion element of the Souls games. But I could see myself enjoying it a lot here depending on how it is implemented.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Reminder that the psn preorder for this is still discounted at $53.99 USD.

Light-Cloud

Apr 3, 2021
The trailers made it seem like it would be more interesting than just a standard FPS but this doesn't look like anything special at all. I thought it was going to be more similar to Dishonored but it looks more like COD. Not my thing at all.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I haven't managed to load in to a game as the invader yet (pre-release so limited people playing) but that mode seems cool as fuck.

There's proper progression as the invader. You unlock new stuff, new weapons to start with, new costumes etc. There's legitimate reasons to play it as the invader. There seems to be story and stuff behind doing it. Loving everything I see of the invader mode.

The reason I'd ever buy this instead of waiting for Xbox, is for the invasion. It's a cool mechanic and one of the reasons why I bought Doom Eternal (but we know how that turned out).

But that sounds great. I just wish the influx of all trailers showed a proper PvP from Juliannas perspective. Like am I tripping or have we never received a gameplay trailer like that? Lol.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How intrusive is that part of the game to the other player?

Only thing that has really put me off as I didn't like the invasion element of the Souls games. But I could see myself enjoying it a lot here depending on how it is implemented.

You can play offline if you want. But (I think?) it happens regardless. Either NPC or real player.

I got invaded twice at this point. First time is story/tutorial stuff. Definitely AI.

Second time I think was a real player? I got a trophy for killing them. They were just suddenly there, trying to attack me. There was no 'INVADED BY A PLAYER!!' stuff. They even have abilities that let them blend in as other characters and drop traps and stuff. It's not like a Souls fight.

Worth pointing out that you can't pause if you're playing online (the default). I didn't realise, hit start to go and deal with my baby and when I came back I was dead, killed by one of the idiot AI.

Smemma

Jul 10, 2020
The trailers made it seem like it would be more interesting than just a standard FPS but this doesn't look like anything special at all. I thought it was going to be more similar to Dishonored but it looks more like COD. Not my thing at all.
I've been playing it since yesterday and it's nothing like CoD - sure, you can play it like a shooter, but really it's designed to be played like Dishonored / Prey. Same as how in those games and things like Hitman you could go guns / swords blazing but it wasn't really the point

I think they've made shooting more of an option as a get out of jail card, due to the consequences of dying.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You can play offline if you want. But (I think?) it happens regardless. Either NPC or real player.

I got invaded twice at this point. First time is story/tutorial stuff. Definitely AI.

Second time I think was a real player? I got a trophy for killing them. They were just suddenly there, trying to attack me. There was no 'INVADED BY A PLAYER!!' stuff. They even have abilities that let them blend in as other characters and drop traps and stuff. It's not like a Souls fight.

Worth pointing out that you can't pause if you're playing online (the default). I didn't realise, hit start to go and deal with my baby and when I came back I was dead, killed by one of the idiot AI.

How did it actually feel to engage with the second player? Did it feel spongy at all?

Oct 26, 2017
What is up with the negativity surrounding this game every time it is mentioned in Era? People here yell at the clouds at every chance they get for publishers to give chances to more unique games such as this. Then you look at this thread and wonder, what the hell?

It's clearly a PS4/Xbox One game that was moved to PS5/PC exclusively after Sony investment which obviously annoys some people that do not have a PS5 or gaming PC.

It's also a rogue-lite which is a genre that has gotten a ton of games recently.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How did it actually feel to engage with the second player? Did it feel spongy at all?

Felt just like fighting any other enemy in the game. Wasn't spongy. They were really defensive though and kept running off once I'd hit them. Which makes me think it was a real player.

And I got the trophy.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Game has my interest piqued for sure, especially the Hitman comparisons. On the fence about grabbing it at launch, but definitely will snag it at some point.

Is the general feeling that you could 100% stealth it, or is it a required mix of both stealth and gunplay?

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like an inside job to me. Your baby was very obviously on the take. Classic distraction play.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
PVP Invasions are a major turn on for me.
Will grab on PC sooner rather than later

Light-Cloud

Apr 3, 2021
I've been playing it since yesterday and it's nothing like CoD - sure, you can play it like a shooter, but really it's designed to be played like Dishonored / Prey. Same as how in those games and things like Hitman you could go guns / swords blazing but it wasn't really the point

I think they've made shooting more of an option as a get out of jail card, due to the consequences of dying.

That's good to know, thank you. I guess this gameplay just isn't all that representative of how the game is meant to be played. I'm way more interested if it plays like Dishonored, I'll keep an eye out for more gameplay video's of people playing it.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
If you are going into this looking for an FPS I think you are going to be massively disappointed. It does give you the option of running in shooting (basically what the person in that video is doing), but it makes it very clear in the dialogue and the environmental text that you should try to avoid combat and find ways to go around enemies. It outright says if you just run in shooting things won't go well. Ammo also feels a bit scarce in the amount you can carry at once.

The levels are well designed and have alternative routes that let you go around the enemies, so that you can get to the objective purely doing stealth kills.

Its very much a Dishonoured game that happens to have guns and lets you shoot your way out if you get in trouble.

The reason I'm having a good time with it is that there are multiple routes through the maps that make it feel quite open in how you approach them, and the writing and overarching systems. It also feels more forgiving than dishonoured, where I found myself constantly reloading saves because the stealth went bad.

As an example of what is interesting about the game (early game spoilers):

I died in the afternoon trying to kill one of the visionaries to unlock a permanent upgrade, and when the loop reset the game popped up a hint saying "hey, you could try that again but its difficult so perhaps you should try doing some other stuff in the morning first, like taking out this other visionary to take their powers, then coming back and trying it again in the afternoon, or exploring somewhere else in the morning to collect more powerful upgrades, but its up to you, do whatever you want". It also pointed out that depending on what you do at one time of day, the events at a later time will be affected, but only for that loop. You have hitman style leads on some of the other visionaries, and hints about what people will be doing at certain times of day that you've picked up from things going in the environment.

This kind of open ended approach to how you spend each loop and how the loop reacts to what you do is the reason to be hyped about the game, not the shooting or stealth.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah very much this

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I died in the afternoon trying to kill one of the visionaries to unlock a permanent upgrade, and when the loop reset the game popped up a hint saying "hey, you could try that again but its difficult so perhaps you should try doing some other stuff in the morning first, like taking out this other visionary to take their powers, then coming back and trying it again in the afternoon, or exploring somewhere else in the morning to collect more powerful upgrades, but its up to you, do whatever you want". It also pointed out that depending on what you do at one time of day, the events at a later time will be affected, but only for that loop. You have hitman style leads on some of the other visionaries, and hints about what people will be doing at certain times of day that you've picked up from things going in the environment.

This kind of open ended approach to how you spend each loop and how the loop reacts to what you do is the reason to be hyped about the game, not the shooting or stealth.
Who did you try taking out first? Sounds like a fun challenge.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If you are going into this looking for an FPS I think you are going to be massively disappointed.
[/SPOILER]

I think the problem then is that arkane has marketed the game in a terrible way. Every trailer and gameplay showing (of which we have seen too many to count at this point) has shown the game as an action game. Not a stealth one. It makes sense people's expectations might sway towards that of shooting being the way to play...which would have been fine if the AI wasn't dumb as bricks.

I dunno. It's just made me feel like all the footage has been heavily choreographed bollocks and actually playing it just feels like a bit of a mess.

Oct 25, 2017
If you are going into this looking for an FPS I think you are going to be massively disappointed. It does give you the option of running in shooting (basically what the person in that video is doing), but it makes it very clear in the dialogue and the environmental text that you should try to avoid combat and find ways to go around enemies. It outright says if you just run in shooting things won't go well. Ammo also feels a bit scarce in the amount you can carry at once.

The levels are well designed and have alternative routes that let you go around the enemies, so that you can get to the objective purely doing stealth kills.

Its very much a Dishonoured game that happens to have guns and lets you shoot your way out if you get in trouble.

The reason I'm having a good time with it is that there are multiple routes through the maps that make it feel quite open in how you approach them, and the writing and overarching systems. It also feels more forgiving than dishonoured, where I found myself constantly reloading saves because the stealth went bad.

This s a great informative post , cheers for that

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say I was surprised by the amount of negativity surrounding this game (not just here, but everywhere), but, let's see:

1) Black main characters, one of them is a woman
2) Developed by a studio recently purchased and turned exclusive by Microsoft
3) Many redundant trailers that showcase pretty much the same thing over and over again
4) People still somehow don't know what the game actually is about

No wonder people are so mad. It's the perfect anti-Gamer cocktail.

I'm personally super excited to play it, it looks like something right up my alley.
It really does seem like it is primed to be a game people are super shitty about, eh?

Neo_ladeen

Jul 26, 2020
It's clearly a PS4/Xbox One game that was moved to PS5/PC exclusively after Sony investment which obviously annoys some people that do not have a PS5 or gaming PC.

It's also a rogue-lite which is a genre that has gotten a ton of games recently.
I can understand your first point, but this game clearly plays nothing like a rogue-lite.

Gameplay

hog

Mar 9, 2021

15 minutes of gameplay on PS5. I might not play intelligently but I'm having a lot of fun. And I think it gives a better idea of the game than the footage in OP.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017

okay, you sold me on the game (I love Dishonored games, but hate single-player shooters)

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
you can unlock outfits too?

Whats the point if its first person tho? :D Multiplayer i guess?

Jan 10, 2018
Really? Because from everything I've seen of Deathloop there's a lot of shooting going on. Like a lot. I rarely, if ever, shoot in Hitman.

Well your primary goal is to assassinate specific targets in a strategic manner in order to break the loop. There seems to be a lot of influence in regards to how NPC's move around the world and create opportunities and various dynamic scenarios. In Hitman you spend a lot of time observing and planning and I feel that this is a big part of Deathloop as well. Judging by trailers of course.

The impressions that I get from people who have beaten it is pretty much a straight up FPS. The trailers are not reflective of the actual game.

Did they manage to break the loop by just going Rambo? Sounds a bit alarming if true.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
AI looks stupid in that first video. I still don't really know what the gameplay loop(lol) is supposed to be other than hunting down some people with a time limit or something

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
AI looks stupid in that first video. I still don't really know what the gameplay loop(lol) is supposed to be other than hunting down some people with a time limit or something

It's kind of like a meta puzzle in how you choose to take out different targets and in what order, I believe. This isn't a typical guns blazing Call of Duty-esque FPS campaign, the AI "trash mobs" are a deterrent but the challenge lies in the situations and how you resolve them while also being hunted down by Julianna.

It looks like the kind of game where it would be incredibly frustrating if the regular enemies were any smarter/tactical. They're just there to distract you IMO.

Arkane didn't make a typical FPS game here and that's a good thing, I trust them to have balanced the game right and that may look different from what we expect from traditional FPS games.