• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
PS5 Ray-Tracing Mode: Dynamic 2160p at 30FPS with Ray-Traced shadows. (2160p ~ 1440p) 1800p Average
PS5 Ray-Tracing Mode: Dynamic 2160p at 30FPS with Ray-Traced shadows. (2160p ~ 1440p) 1800p Average
PS5 Performance Mode: Dynamic 2160p at 60FPS without Ray-Tracing. (2160p ~ 1368p) 1440p Average
PS5 Quality Mode: Dynamic 2160p at variable 60FPS without Ray-Tracing (2160p ~ 1800p) Average of 1800p
The PC version reduces its resolution by up to about 20% with AMD FSR with all settings in Ultra on an RTX 3080.
Both versions have the September 12 release patch installed.
PS5 uses temporal reconstruction rendering to scale the resolution. I don't know if it's AMD FSR, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Ray-tracing is applied in the shadows generated by natural lighting and part of the ambient occlusion. However, the main character does not cast a shadow.
PS5 features some noisy shadows in Ray-Tracing mode. Especially in small closed places.
In some areas, when ray-tracing is activated, the lighting direction is also modified to favor and get more out of this option. This results some scenarios with quite interesting differences.
Reflections on PC have higher resolution, however their overall quality leaves something to be desired on both platforms.
The overall textures are of the same quality on both platforms and modes. Some have a quality really worthy of the Nextgen.
The PS5 quality mode features superior anisotropic filtering over Performance / Ray-Tracing mode (similar to the PC version).
The PC version has a slightly higher draw distance.
Ray-tracing mode on PS5 has stuttering issues. The quality mode ranges from 60 ~ 40fps.
Definitely, the most recommended way to enjoy Deathloop on PS5 is Performance. 60FPS is non-negotiable in this game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Having played all the modes on PS5, you'd be mad to play this on anything other than the default Performance mode (~1440p/60).

The Quality mode (targeting 60fps with drops) is really unstable. Judders when you look across the skyline. Raytracing mode is 30fps.

Easy choice for console players.

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
VRR support can't come soon enough.

EDIT: Wow ray-traced shadows look gorgeous on PC. Absolutely awful in some parts on PS5 though.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
I'm playing on performance mode on PS5 and it's great, I'll stick to this one.
Waiting for DF for a proper comparison tho, this channel it's not always that reliable

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Had no idea it was 60fps on PS5 i can't wait to play it

Also can't wait for the DF in-depth video.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
So a mix of high and ultra settings for 1440p/60FPS without Ray Tracing on my RTX 2070S and Ryzen 3800 should be no problem, right?

Any word on Denuvo fucking up things. I can live with some lower settings, but stuff like micro-stuttering is unbearable for me.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The lack of DLSS sucks because if it was there it would be the definitive edition of the game even with lower end GPUs. But we are stuck with a shitty filter technique.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Having played all the modes on PS5, you'd be mad to play this on anything other than the default Performance mode (~1440p/60).

The Quality mode (targeting 60fps with drops) is really unstable. Judders when you look across the skyline. Raytracing mode is 30fps.

Is the raytracing mode a stable 30fps? Because I'd much rather have higher resolution and raytracing than 60fps.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Static scenes look so much better with RT enabled but when you start moving, everything gets really grainy. I just don't understand what that kind of option is for... It looks terrible. Maybe future proofing for the PS5 Pro or something?

Protome

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I was actually kinda shocked how unstable the Quality mode was. I assumed it'd be like "60fps but drops in really extreme situations" or something, but no, even just walking down an empty street the framerate is noticeably jumping all over the place.

Performance is the way to go.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
the comparison of the cliff(?) early in the video is weird. why are there like zero shadows in the non rt mode? even without rt, there should be something, right?

s y

Nov 8, 2017
If they could shore up those artifacts I'd play on the RT mode.

I was surprised at how much a difference it makes to the lighting.

I do wish they couldve gotten 60fps + RT shadows like COD Cold War.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
RT mode looks like a huge improvement in some areas. Shame about the noise, though.

sagi

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2021
No FOV slider is pretty bad for a 2021 game ... guess I am getting it on PC :)

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
So a mix of high and ultra settings for 1440p/60FPS without Ray Tracing on my RTX 2070S and Ryzen 3800 should be no problem, right?

Any word on Denuvo fucking up things. I can live with some lower settings, but stuff like micro-stuttering is unbearable for me.

Reviews from PC YouTubers I follow say the PC version is on the same ballpark as Dishonored 2 - absolute garbage. Ggman had worse results with a 3080Ti than with a PS5.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
"60FPS is non-negotiable in this game"

Man, I'm going to play on the Performance mode because that's my preference, but I'm so tired of these takes. Plenty of folks are going to leave it on the defaults or (apparently Performance is default!) choose RT and have a great time. What is non-negotiable to me is that people should choose what they want and we shouldn't engender an environment where people criticize others because they're okay with playing a game another way.

EDIT: Just to add a note to this, I am not claiming this person is criticizing people, I'm expressing that this type of "perfect specs or bust" talk is a big part of why groups like PCMR feel so legitimized.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Reviews from PC YouTubers I follow say the PC version is on the same ballpark as Dishonored 2 - absolute garbage. Ggman had worse results with a 3080Ti than with a PS5.
Ah well, why was I even thinking about buying anything Day 1 in 2021? I will wait for more impressions then. I have way too much to play anyway.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
I'm not sure what the point of that quality mode is without VRR. The others look really solid.

Man, I'm going to play on the Performance mode because that's my preference, but I'm so tired of these takes. Plenty of folks are going to leave it on the defaults or choose RT and have a great time. What is non-negotiable to me is that people should choose what they want and we shouldn't engender an environment where people criticize others because they're okay with playing a game another way.

If Deathloop is anything like previous Arkane games on console, I wouldn't play it at 30fps. Both Dishonored 1/2 and Prey played like ass. The input lag is awful. A simple FPS boost makes those games far more playable.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Man, I'm going to play on the Performance mode because that's my preference, but I'm so tired of these takes. Plenty of folks are going to leave it on the defaults or choose RT and have a great time. What is non-negotiable to me is that people should choose what they want and we shouldn't engender an environment where people criticize others because they're okay with playing a game another way.
They're just giving their opinion, that's all. It doesn't seem like a criticism towards anyone. It's a fast moving game. Performance mode is the default in this game btw.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017

That isn't what they're saying though.

They're saying if you want an optimal performance then the 60fps mode is essential.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Ah well, why was I even thinking about buying anything Day 1 in 2021? I will wait for more impressions then. I have way too much to play anyway.

He mentioned that not even lowering the resolution to 1080p seemed to help. Something is amiss here.

Then again Dishonored 2 stuttered like crazy unless you could hit fixed 60 or 120.

LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Reallly need to get a TV but buying a house is stopping me until I move.. really want to a buy 4k tv with hdr just so games can pop like deathloop and ff7remake the wait to buy that new tv hurts more with every ps5 and xbox game release

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Good point. TBH, it'd be great if more console titles had the option to unlock the framerate. That way we wouldn't have to rely on developers/platform holders releasing patches to have higher framerates on newer hardware.
I think it's safe to assume that most upcoming titles will have a performance option. We are off to a good start already.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"quality" mode looks like the most pointless thing in the world

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Ah man, I was just about to throw our video into the review thread! I've not got access to the PC version, but did some brief analysis on the PS5 version. Tested all 3 modes out.

TL:DW - Performance = solid 60, Fidelity = 45-60, aims for higher res, RT = solid 30.

I'm intrigued by the fallout from this as I remember it being marketed as 4k60 with RT on PS5 a while ago :-/

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's some nice elements that come with the RT mode. But the shadows refreshing just look fugly as hell.