• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Always kind of a head scratcher when you look at the end product of most Arkane games compared to the hardware required to run them well.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Really? Seems like one needs to go nitpicking in side by side comparisons to spot a difference. Biggest difference is correct soft shadows with RT on, but it's not a deal breaker to go RT off mode for 60FPS smoothness and lower input lag.
It is also adding shadows where there previously were none, so that's a big difference to me.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
On PC with my 2070 and mediocre CPU I'll try to aim for 1440p/Medium settings/60 FPS, fingers crossed.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Always kind of a head scratcher when you look at the end product of most Arkane games compared to the hardware required to run them well.
The weirdest thing is when it's running on an engine based on idTech which is extremely performant on Doom and Doom Eternal. They should ask id for some pointers :P

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
On the front of the PC port, PCGamer says they got 53fps on Ultra at 4K using a 3080. So that doesn't seem that bad?

Push the resolution up to 4K though, and it isn't quite as flawless. On a GeForce RTX 3080 you're only looking at 53fps using the Ultra settings. The good news is there are plenty of settings to play with to make sure you get the most out of your hardware.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
They're just giving their opinion, that's all. It doesn't seem like a criticism towards anyone. It's a fast moving game. Performance mode is the default in this game btw.
Sorry, to be clear I was saying that their comment (and stuff like that) helps engender an environment where people say that sort of stuff. Didn't know default was performance so my b for assuming that!

That isn't what they're saying though.

They're saying if you want an optimal performance then the 60fps mode is essential.
I just don't see how 60FPS is "non-negotiable" (their words, not mine). We've all played games at less and plenty of people will play this at 30FPS. It's not like a big issue or anything, I just think it's a weird things to say and that it sounds like something you'd hear from a PCMR weirdo.

If Deathloop is anything like previous Arkane games on console, I wouldn't play it at 30fps. Both Dishonored 1/2 and Prey played like ass. The input lag is awful. A simple FPS boost makes those games far more playable.
I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't play it the way you like it, but I certainly played through Prey at 30FPS on PS4 and it was one of my favourite games of the year. I just don't agree with the sentiment that 60FPS is "non-negotiable". Not a huge deal but it just struck me as an odd thing to say. That being said I totally agree about the bad input lag on Prey, haha.

Oct 27, 2017
The Quality mode being a locked 4K with a variable FPS actually makes sense for when PS5 gets its VRR update. I can see a lot of games this gen having a mode like that.

FS2020 is the only other console game I can think of that liberally takes advantage of VRR.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
If Deathloop is anything like previous Arkane games on console, I wouldn't play it at 30fps. Both Dishonored 1/2 and Prey played like ass. The input lag is awful. A simple FPS boost makes those games far more playable.

That's what I was thinking. Playing Death of the Outsider with FPS boost on my Series S was a revelation after how heavy and sluggish Dishonored 2 felt at 30fps.

Does this game run on the same engine as the Dishonored games (a modified version of idTech. I think it's called Void engine)?

Oct 28, 2017
Nvidia Reflex is definitely a great addition to the game. With RT on, you can thrash your GPU to 99% and not get the awful render latency increase. GSync can then mitigate the dips in frame rate.

More devs need to look to implementing Reflex in high load SP games.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
Sorry, to be clear I was saying that their comment (and stuff like that) helps engender an environment where people say that sort of stuff. Didn't know default was performance so my b for assuming that!

I just don't see how 60FPS is "non-negotiable" (their words, not mine). We've all played games at less and plenty of people will play this at 30FPS. It's not like a big issue or anything, I just think it's a weird things to say and that it sounds like something you'd hear from a PCMR weirdo.

I'm definitely not saying you shouldn't play it the way you like it, but I certainly played through Prey at 30FPS on PS4 and it was one of my favourite games of the year. I just don't agree with the sentiment that 60FPS is "non-negotiable". Not a huge deal but it just struck me as an odd thing to say. That being said I totally agree about the bad input lag on Prey, haha.
I finished all the Dishonored titles several times on console despite the low framerate, but sometimes it was an exercise in frustration due to the laggy controls. With Prey the experience was far worse; I had to stop a few hours in. I ended up finishing it on PC years later and absolutely loved it. I hope Arkane improved their Void engine for Deathloop in terms of input latency, because it is way too high for those titles at 30fps. It'd be great if DF or a similar tech analysis outfit did an input latency analysis for DL.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Normal Performance mode on console (@ ~1440p/60) sounds pretty ideal, at least for my taste. Realistically, this is something I should play on my RTX 2070.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
1440p/60fps.

I remember right before these consoles launched and this was such a hot topic after the showcases in the summer.

Like some of us said last year...this seems like a good sweet spot for games this gen.

Yes
And I wholly disagree with Tubers or previewers who say the PC version is bad. It is good.

Also this video just gets some stuff plain wrong, a bit annoying.
Glad you said something about this video.

Honestly....I dont think they are a good source for analysis. I usually avoid threads when they are the source.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
Very annoying they went with FSR for this. This is Void Engine, which I believe is based on iD Tech 6 (which is what Wolfenstein Youngblood ran on and had DLSS)

I know that was a sponsored title, but surely there wasn't too many barriers to include it. And given that it's an Nvidia Reflex game I'm struggling to understand why it's not there

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Yes
And I wholly disagree with Tubers or previewers who say the PC version is bad. It is good.

Also this video just gets some stuff plain wrong, a bit annoying.

Please make some noise about the missing FOV slider on PS5. Resident Evil Village was nearly unplayable for me due to motion sickness. Thank you! 🤓

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I finished all the Dishonored titles several times on console despite the low framerate, but sometimes it was an exercise in frustration due to the laggy controls. With Prey the experience was far worse; I had to stop a few hours in. I ended up finishing it on PC years later and absolutely loved it. I hope Arkane improved their Void engine for Deathloop in terms of input latency, because it is way too high for those titles at 30fps. It'd be great if DF or a similar tech analysis outfit did an input latency analysis for DL.
Sure, that's fair! I understand what you're saying but I'm not too bothered by low framerates myself. Again, my only quibble is the all-or-nothing nature of the sentiment. For what it's worth I also really hope the input latency is improved for Deathloop. That's a bigger deal to me than the frame rate, haha.

stersauce

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
san jose, ca
1440p/60fps.

I remember right before these consoles launched and this was such a hot topic after the showcases in the summer.

Like some of us said last year...this seems like a good sweet spot for games this gen.

Glad you said something about this video.

Honestly....I dont think they are a good source for analysis. I usually avoid threads when they are the source.
yeah, i kind of wish sony would natively support 1440p

it's interesting that their quality mode wasn't capped at 30fps

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I agree their wording could've been a lot better.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, I agree their wording could've been a lot better.
I don't think there's any problem with tech analysis channels expressing their preferences. In the previous sentence he recommends the Performance mode and he then merely states that a constant "60fps is non-negotiable in this game". He doesn't strike me as a 60fps-or-death type of person based on previous videos.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Dammit. Why does RT mode have to look so much better in a game that doesn't use DLSS? That TAA ghosting and RT noise is bad.
Seems like there's no reason to use quality mode on PS5 until it supports VRR.

Reviews from PC YouTubers I follow say the PC version is on the same ballpark as Dishonored 2 - absolute garbage. Ggman had worse results with a 3080Ti than with a PS5.
Well that's concerning - though I suspect it's a case of "maxed out runs worse than PS5" because those settings go beyond what the PS5 is doing.
My main concern is whether or not it requires a 60/120 FPS lock to run smoothly, as Dishonored 2 did, or if it can be smooth at any frame rate if you have a VRR display.

Wikipedia says it's based off id tech 6.
There were interviews prior to release that said it was based on idTech 5, so I think Wikipedia is wrong.
It's been many years since then, however - so I wouldn't assume it still has the same issues.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida

Just to throw my hat in the ring, but I certainly wouldn't be buying the game (or in this case, would be returning my copy) if I found out that 30 fps was the only option for this game. Shooters at 30 fps, these days, ARE non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned, especially in first person. When I was younger and hadless options, it was fine because I was just happy to be involved, but these days It's not worth my time. I remember skipping Prey entirely because not only am I not the biggest Immersive Sim fan, playing the PS4 demo felt like buttcheeks. I played it again when it launched with FPS Boost and I got way farther in it there than I ever would have suffering through the original console release.

Oct 28, 2017
Dammit. Why does RT mode have to look so much better in a game that doesn't use DLSS? That TAA ghosting and RT noise is bad.
Seems like there's no reason to use quality mode on PS5 until it supports VRR.

Well that's concerning - though I suspect it's a case of "maxed out runs worse than PS5" because those settings go beyond what the PS5 is doing.
My main concern is whether or not it requires a 60/120 FPS lock to run smoothly, as Dishonored 2 did, or if it can be smooth at any frame rate if you have a VRR display.

There were interviews prior to release that said it was based on idTech 5, so I think Wikipedia is wrong.
It's been many years since then, however - so I wouldn't assume it still has the same issues.

I'm running a 3070 currently. It's dropping well below 60 at 1440p.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

Ya this...the game looks good but not enough to warrant those recommended requirements on the PC side of things. My CPU is below rec (i7-8700 @ 3.2 GHz) but my GPU (2070 Super) should be good.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The noise on PS5 is really annoying. This is the first time I saw such problem on any RT game on consoles. I hope this gets fixed soon.

Last edited:

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It is 100% this - it is EASY to beat the PS5 in this game on PC. Settings and performance wise on reasonable hardware. If you have a 2070 Super or above - you can get a most excellent high res 60 fps experience.
I'm running a 3070 currently. It's dropping well below 60 at 1440p.
Uh, are you running the highest settings with RT at the highest RT setting for AO?

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand how folks can prefer 30fps w/ RT over 60fps, but I'm glad the options exist to satisfy everyone.

Waxwing

Jan 25, 2018
Hoping to see some benchmarks for below-min reqs hardware. This game is the first I care about that is really set to kick my rig's ass at 1080. I'm kicking myself for just replacing my fried GTX 780 with an RX 570 (for $120) in 2019. Should've just spent the extra ~$100 or so for a 1650 Super...the GPU price inflation is insane right now- it's a minimum of $400 to do better than my 570 and I have to imagine lots of pc gamers are stuck in the same boat.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Just to throw my hat in the ring, but I certainly wouldn't be buying the game (or in this case, would be returning my copy) if I found out that 30 fps was the only option for this game. Shooters at 30 fps, these days, ARE non-negotiable as far as I'm concerned, especially in first person. When I was younger and hadless options, it was fine because I was just happy to be involved, but these days It's not worth my time. I remember skipping Prey entirely because not only am I not the biggest Immersive Sim fan, playing the PS4 demo felt like buttcheeks. I played it again when it launched with FPS Boost and I got way farther in it there than I ever would have suffering through the original console release.
Sure, that's fair! Play what you prefer, no doubt! I just think it's an odd thing to say in a game where most options aren't a solid 60FPS because, well, it's clearly negotiable!