RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Thanks for all of the work making all of this stupid easy to pull off.
It's my thing.

I see a lot of these projects' developers and fans be like "it's not hard to just do it yourself" and be really dismissive of casual users. I don't know if it's always just that they can't understand things from their perspective or if they're secretly wanting to drive people to their Discord servers, but it's pretty disappointing to see regardless of the reason why.

I think in the case of most of the developers it's purely just a tunnel-vision thing where they're just wanting to focus on the one thing and I can get that. Hell, if I were to work on my own project like this and decomp something, I'd probably have two separate repositories, one for the game and one for a launcher, just to keep the codebases completely separate and organized.

It's the community that bugs me more when they say stuff like that and dismiss other people making tools. They see people come in all the time and ask questions or have problems with something, but just brush it off. They are the ones I feel are more likely to be just doing it to keep up community engagement.

I kind of get it for say a Linux environment since most Linux users are probably comfortable enough with it to be able to run all the necessary commands from terminal in which case the process is a cakewalk in most cases, but even that outlook could change in the coming years with the advent of the Steam Deck and its Arch Linux base...a base that's not even capable of building software by default.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Double post, but I thought it might be worth it in this case...
Super Metroid now has a PC port. Same repo as Link to the Past. Note that it's an early version. I haven't tested it myself yet.

github.com

GitHub - snesrev/sm: early version

early version. Contribute to snesrev/sm development by creating an account on GitHub.
The build process of the repository has stabilized to the point where I am now comfortable releasing the fork of my Zelda 3 Launcher.
github.com

Release v1.0 Release - Initial Release · RadzPrower/Super-Metroid-Launcher

Yet another Windows GUI utility for managing the building and compiling of a snesrev project. This time Super Metroid is the game of the day. No real need to go into release details as it's all new...
I had a working launcher finished shortly after the repo went live since it's largely the same process as with Zelda 3, but the build process itself was not stable with the method I need to use to avoid extra installations on the user's part. The executable would build but would only actually run once every dozen or so attempts...and this is with the exact same file that it would randomly work with no changes or replacement of the executable.

So, while the launcher ran just fine, the end product was dodgy and I knew that would ultimately be a problem and many would assume it was something I could fix. To that end, I held off until they fixed the build process and the end result was stable.

I should still warn anyone who uses the launcher that, while the launcher is v1.0 and what I'd consider a full-featured and stable release, the game itself is still in development and that means that if you build at the wrong time, there's always a chance the developer is in the middle of a change that fundamentally breaks something. So, just keep that in mind as you use the tool...it's just to facilitate managing the game and I cannot control what may be happening with the game itself in most cases (maybe there's a setting that's not being set correctly for instance...I could fix that).

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's my thing.

I see a lot of these projects' developers and fans be like "it's not hard to just do it yourself" and be really dismissive of casual users. I don't know if it's always just that they can't understand things from their perspective or if they're secretly wanting to drive people to their Discord servers, but it's pretty disappointing to see regardless of the reason why.

I think in the case of most of the developers it's purely just a tunnel-vision thing where they're just wanting to focus on the one thing and I can get that. Hell, if I were to work on my own project like this and decomp something, I'd probably have two separate repositories, one for the game and one for a launcher, just to keep the codebases completely separate and organized.

It's the community that bugs me more when they say stuff like that and dismiss other people making tools. They see people come in all the time and ask questions or have problems with something, but just brush it off. They are the ones I feel are more likely to be just doing it to keep up community engagement.

I kind of get it for say a Linux environment since most Linux users are probably comfortable enough with it to be able to run all the necessary commands from terminal in which case the process is a cakewalk in most cases, but even that outlook could change in the coming years with the advent of the Steam Deck and its Arch Linux base...a base that's not even capable of building software by default.
Agreed 100%.

The times I ran into issues with doing recompiling for whatever project, I never had to go out and ask for help specifically, but I did run off and hit Google to see if anyone else got an answer after having a similar problem, and the level of digging you need to get into because people aren't explicitly clear out of vagueness because they forget not everyone is on their level or dismissiveness because people aren't close enough to their level is annoying for these very reasons.\

I get being frustrated with getting the same question over and over because people don't like to read, but sometimes, these things are like trying to figure out which screw goes where when building a shelf, it's not always clear.

And thanks for the fast work with Metroid!

Now to eagerly await for someone to mod the decomp with the Metroid 1 romhack.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Now to eagerly await for someone to mod the decomp with the Metroid 1 romhack.
An apparent quirk with either this decomp or Super Metroid itself, a number of hacks are oddly compatible I believe. To use them you'd still need to mod some points in the code to to turn off the hash checks for the expected US ROM, but it seems like an odd quirk.

I independently check the hashes myself since I want to be able to throw the proper messages and such to the user so that they know the hash they need (new addition) or just let them immediately pick a different ROM if they selected the wrong one by mistake. Since I check the hashes, Super Metroid Launcher (SML) would not allow for that functionality by default.

As the community continues to explore that quirk, I may add a list of acceptable hashes for known hacks that are compatible.

OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Double post, but I thought it might be worth it in this case...

The build process of the repository has stabilized to the point where I am now comfortable releasing the fork of my Zelda 3 Launcher.
github.com

Release v1.0 Release - Initial Release · RadzPrower/Super-Metroid-Launcher

Yet another Windows GUI utility for managing the building and compiling of a snesrev project. This time Super Metroid is the game of the day. No real need to go into release details as it's all new...
I had a working launcher finished shortly after the repo went live since it's largely the same process as with Zelda 3, but the build process itself was not stable with the method I need to use to avoid extra installations on the user's part. The executable would build but would only actually run once every dozen or so attempts...and this is with the exact same file that it would randomly work with no changes or replacement of the executable.

So, while the launcher ran just fine, the end product was dodgy and I knew that would ultimately be a problem and many would assume it was something I could fix. To that end, I held off until they fixed the build process and the end result was stable.

I should still warn anyone who uses the launcher that, while the launcher is v1.0 and what I'd consider a full-featured and stable release, the game itself is still in development and that means that if you build at the wrong time, there's always a chance the developer is in the middle of a change that fundamentally breaks something. So, just keep that in mind as you use the tool...it's just to facilitate managing the game and I cannot control what may be happening with the game itself in most cases (maybe there's a setting that's not being set correctly for instance...I could fix that).

This is amazing, thanks you for your work! I will add it to the OT.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Zelda 3 Launcher v1.3 Released

The main addition is support for the main repo's new functionality to utilize different official localizations and some fan translations as well. You will however need those specific ROMs to pull the script and unique fonts from.
github.com

Release v1.3.6.0 Release - CPU Usage Runaway Fix · RadzPrower/Zelda-3-Launcher

Made a change to closing settings window behavior so that it is consistent between the cancel button and the close (X) button. (#37) Fixed runaway CPU usage while zelda3.exe was running due to it w...

Forgive me for being dumb, but… this is for Windows, right? It won't run on a Steam Deck?

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
Forgive me for being dumb, but… this is for Windows, right? It won't run on a Steam Deck?
Run it on windows, move it to Steam Deck. Lot easier than trying to compile on Arch for me personally
You can compile on Windows, but I imagine if you take the folder, slap it on the Deck, add it as a non-Steam game, and then select a version of Proton, it'd probably do something.

It's worth a shot.
There's been mixed results with copying the result over to the Deck. I personally always build my Deck apps on ArchWSL and move it over, but others have had serviceable performance with simply moving the Windows version over and using Proton.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks all! I don't have a proper Windows PC but I'll try it in Parallels and see what happens.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Paper Mario 99.96% complete. I'd say fully decompiled in the next two weeks or so. Maybe even done this week

Paper Mario 64 decomp has been completed.
OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Well, here it is:

Screenshot-2023-04-19-20-56-39-163-com-discord.jpg

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Very impressive work.
As far as I'm aware it's not shiftable yet so there is still a lot of work to go (not to mention reversing PAL, JP, and writing documentation) but I would expect a PC port within the next year or so, given how these things go.

edit- actually, now that I think about it the Ship of Harkinian guys have been quietly working on libultraship in the background, which as far as I'm aware is specifically intended to make SoH-style ports for other N64 games....
This may happen faster than I expected.

Last edited:

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
That's awesome! Nice to see these projects go - are N64 Projects able to build off each other? They don't have to start at 0 with every game after Mario 64 port paved the way, right?

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Question, do you need the exact copy of the game that has been decompiled? I have the rom for my 3DS copy of Ocarina of Time, but do I need the N64 copy to grab the necessary files? Dumping 3DS roms is pretty easy, but I don't have the ability to dump N64 carts.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Question, do you need the exact copy of the game that has been decompiled? I have the rom for my 3DS copy of Ocarina of Time, but do I need the N64 copy to grab the necessary files? Dumping 3DS roms is pretty easy, but I don't have the ability to dump N64 carts.
you need the exact copy of the game, unless specificed you can use from other sources. iirc, for OoT, you can use multiple regions and the GC Master Quest one?

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
That's awesome! Nice to see these projects go - are N64 Projects able to build off each other? They don't have to start at 0 with every game after Mario 64 port paved the way, right?
Probably not until there's a LOT more documentation written showing common functions and coding patterns to be on the lookout for, but for games that are very similar (OOT and MQ, for example) there is some non-zero amount of overlap that can be used.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like Banjo Kazooie at 98.6% followed by Minish Cap at 98.5%.
MM is still a ways off and is only around 75%.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ah bummer, but I appreciate the info!

If you have a Wii or Wii U you can easily get your hands on your own legally bought N64 ROM of a lot of classics. At least if you bought these games before the shops go down.

Probably not until there's a LOT more documentation written showing common functions and coding patterns to be on the lookout for, but for games that are very similar (OOT and MQ, for example) there is some non-zero amount of overlap that can be used.

I see, thanks.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
BK has been stuck at that percentage for over a month, it's getting me antsy!
Paper Mario was stuck for the longest time on three or so functions which nobody knew how to deal with and then two of them got decomped and a couple days later a random anonymous person from the Metal Gear Solid decomp community casually finished the final function.

It'll happen.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
If you have a Wii or Wii U you can easily get your hands on your own legally bought N64 ROM of a lot of classics. At least if you bought these games before the shops go down.

I see, thanks.

Dumbly I sold my Wii with eshop content a while ago. I bought a new one recently to dump roms, but it has no eshop roms, and my Wii U also has no eshop content. Kind of sad the Wii didn't have an account based store, and it was system based.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Dumbly I sold my Wii with eshop content a while ago. I bought a new one recently to dump roms, but it has no eshop roms, and my Wii U also has no eshop content. Kind of sad the Wii didn't have an account based store, and it was system based.

I remember that it was possible to contact Nintendo and have them restore your console based on their receipts from what you bought. Like a one time thing - Buuut I'm not sure if that was Wii or Wii U and no idea if they are still doing it.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If there's any CTR fans out there, the CTR decomp project is currently putting their work thus-far out for testing and are seeking feedback.

They're distributing their work in the form of patches for the USA version of the CTR rom - you can get the latest patch in the test-drive channel of their Discord server. Once you've got the patch and your game rom, you can use this website to patch your rom.

From there, just play the game in your emulator of choice and post any bugs you find in the test-drive channel. Further info and updates will appear on Darkaiser's YouTube channel.

mableguy

Jan 5, 2022
If there's any CTR fans out there, the CTR decomp project is currently putting their work thus-far out for testing and are seeking feedback.

They're distributing their work in the form of patches for the USA version of the CTR rom - you can get the latest patch in the test-drive channel of their Discord server. Once you've got the patch and your game rom, you can use this website to patch your rom.

From there, just play the game in your emulator of choice and post any bugs you find in the test-drive channel. Further info and updates will appear on Darkaiser's YouTube channel.
Wow, didn't know this one existed. Amazing game, I would play a PC version forever.

Georgeishon

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2018
Are this games only being ported to PC? I'll love to see a crazy port like I dunno, Paper Mario 64 on a PSP.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Are this games only being ported to PC? I'll love to see a crazy port like I dunno, Paper Mario 64 on a PSP.
It depends both on the game and on the community being willing to make such a port happen.
Most games that are getting ported to platforms other than PC are getting Switch ports but other platforms are possible, assuming that they can run the game in question.

Progress Update #2 - May 2023
OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Progress Update:
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask from 75,3% to 77,06%
- Mario Kart 64 from 54,5% to 60,2%
- Goldeneye 007 from 51,6% to 61,4%
- Banjo Kazooie from 97,8% to 98.69%
- Banjo Kazooie Grunty's Revenge from 22,6% to 28,34%
- Sonic Advance 2 from 36,5% to 57,2%
- The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap at 98,5% to 98,7%
- Pikmin 2 from 28,82% to 29,18%
- Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver from 56% to 59%
- Diddy Kong Racing ?? to 51.99%
- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones from ?? to 67,75%
- Metroid - Zero Mission from ?? to 94.41%
- The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess from 32,8% to 34.53%
- Xenoblade Chronicles from ?? to 5,3%
- Super Mario Galaxy from 10,2% to 10,68%

Last edited:

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the update, OP.
Won't surprise me if SoH's devs have been watching MM's progress to release a port soon after it hits 100%.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Super Mario All-Stars (specifically the SMB1 SFC file so far) has started booting. From the same people working on Super Mario World.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

I see, thanks.

I thought the Wii VC/Wii U VC ROMs were slightly modified (often for things like anti-epilepsy measures) and therefore don't match checksums for these sorts of things?