XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
That is assuming someone / some team decides to start porting it the minute it becomes decompiled.

I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure nobody is porting Paper Mario 64 and it's been done for months. And some of the Pokémon games have been decompiled for years and nobody has done a port for them.

Right, that's a shame. I'd like to hope that Star Fox 64 has a bit more pull than Paper Mario 64 but you never know.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
That is assuming someone / some team decides to start porting it the minute it becomes decompiled.

I could be wrong, I'm pretty sure nobody is porting Paper Mario 64 and it's been done for months. And some of the Pokémon games have been decompiled for years and nobody has done a port for them.
I'm honestly surprised that the Pokemon games don't have PC ports.
My only guess as to why is that they're so easy to accurately emulate and because you can just use Pokemon Showdown if all you want is battling/metagame.
There are a ton of romhacks using the pret disassemblies as bases and I've heard rumors of an Emerald PC port but I've never seen it.

Nov 14, 2017
I'm honestly surprised that the Pokemon games don't have PC ports.
My only guess as to why is that they're so easy to accurately emulate and because you can just use Pokemon Showdown if all you want is battling/metagame.
There are a ton of romhacks using the pret disassemblies as bases and I've heard rumors of an Emerald PC port but I've never seen it.
I read a while back that a BDSP decompilation is being worked on due to it being made in Unity, so a PC port for that is plausible. Map injection is already possible with just emulation, so a full PC port could possibly allow for whole fangames being built inside BDSP itself.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
From what I've gathered, it'll continue to have those characteristic PS1 visual artifacts until the later stages when they'll replace the original renderer with a new one. Anyone in the know, correct me if I'm wrong.
I've asked about this on their discord and got no response, I'm really curious as well about how it works.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Castlevania 64 has been apparently decompiled

github.com

GitHub - blazkowolf/cv64: Decompilation of Castlevania for the Nintendo 64

Decompilation of Castlevania for the Nintendo 64. Contribute to blazkowolf/cv64 development by creating an account on GitHub.

Awesome, always found CV64 to be quite a bit an interesting game in the series, too bad this decompilation doesn't seem to be for Legacy of Darkness

Last edited:

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
60FPS is now fully playable, combined with Widescreen. This took 2 years, 3 videos, 600+ changes to the source code, and over 1000 hours of testing by 10+ testers!

This is the most logically-complex mod ever built into CTR, and the largest QA testing effort, out of all the mods in this entire channel.

[links in video description]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkeiIj2R4c

Mar 12, 2024
Jan 29, 2018
There was apparently a stream a couple of weeks ago showing off the game to the public for the first time, but they made clear there is no ETA and it will be a while yet before release.

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Nice, I wasn't aware they had shown anything. It sure does look like Majora's Mask.

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
I don't mean to be dumb but... how is this possible? It feels unintuitive to me that decomp -> building a launcher takes an understandably long time but this is virtually instant?
It's real. The Superman 64 decomp also took two days from start to finish. I almost couldn't believe it either until I had it running on my on PC.

To be clear, the recomp itself takes a matter of seconds to make, but it usually takes a few days to get a "working" port, and this is where having a decomp speeds things up a lot.

Getting to the level of polish MM has, with great quality interpolation and other enhancements, is a much longer process, but a lot of that is on Dario's RT64 side rather than Wiseguy's recomp tool.

I don't know what it is about seeing lowpoly games with (good quality) HD textures plus the enhanced lighting but I absolutely adore the look of it and now I really wanna replay both OoT and MM like that (though it's a shame Nerrel's textures are for MM only).
Thanks, I'm working on some OoT textures (you can see them at 4:41). The main holdup is that I have no idea whether to do the 3D version in Citra or the PC port

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's real. The Superman 64 decomp also took two days from start to finish. I almost couldn't believe it either until I had it running on my on PC.

Hi from someone who reviewed Rocket: Robot on Wheels in the '90s. I wish I still had my bright-red N64 cartridge for that one. Can't wait to play that one in recomped mode someday. Great video, thanks for putting that together.

Nerrel

Oct 31, 2017
Also Wiseguy now has his much more technical breakdown of how the tool works on his github if anyone wants to know more about how this is possible. I don't understand a damned word of it: https://github.com/Mr-Wiseguy/N64Recomp

The recompiler works by accepting a list of symbols and metadata alongside the binary with the goal of splitting the input binary into functions that are each individually recompiled into a C function, named according to the metadata.

Instructions are processed one-by-one and corresponding C code is emitted as each one gets processed. This translation is very literal in order to keep complexity low. For example, the instruction addiu $r4, $r4, 0x20, which adds 0x20 to the 32-bit value in the low bytes of register $r4 and stores the sign extended 64-bit result in $r4, gets recompiled into ctx->r4 = ADD32(ctx->r4, 0X20); The jal (jump-and-link) instruction is recompiled directly into a function call, and j or b instructions (unconditional jumps and branches) that can be identified as tail-call optimizations are also recompiled into function calls as well. Branch delay slots are handled by duplicating instructions as necessary. There are other specific behaviors for certain instructions, such as the recompiler attempting to turn a jr instruction into a switch-case statement if it can tell that it's being used with a jump table. The recompiler has mostly been tested on binaries built with old MIPS compilers (e.g. mips gcc 2.7.2 and IDO) as well as modern clang targeting mips. Modern mips gcc may trip up the recompiler due to certain optimizations it can do, but those cases can probably be avoided by setting specific compilation flags.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
the recomp is great

RT64 for Zelda Ocarina seems amazing but it has been hinted at for years so looking forward to it actually releasing

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
i cant believe nobody thought of doing something like this before. Is there anything stopping from someone doing something like this for other consoles? Its legit genius

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are there options for integer scaling from 240p for the Majora's Mask and Ocarina ports?

OrvilleGateau

Feb 18, 2024
Thanks, I'm working on some OoT textures (you can see them at 4:41). The main holdup is that I have no idea whether to do the 3D version in Citra or the PC port

Oh wow I didn't know you were around here lol. Personally I'd probably go with the PC port but I do see why you'd wanna do 3D as well (though it's a shame Citra isn't as easily available now that they took it down). Come to think of it, weren't you working on a MM3D pack a while back too?

Either way I'd be stoked for either one you choose to work on.

Costa

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWwUuWRgsM

Recompilation. I figured this would be relevant to anyone interested in the decompilation projects.

This is some black magic! I thought a huge blocker to decompiling older games for AOT native ports was due to many games making use of self-modifying code. I guess its not as big of a deal for N64? Though it was mentioned that games with custom microcode would cause issues.

Still an amazing feat! Can't wait to see what comes to the launcher!

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWwUuWRgsM

Recompilation. I figured this would be relevant to anyone interested in the decompilation projects.

1536762844-jurassic-park.gif

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://youtu.be/GIp7C2ro2T8

I gotta finish the Sealed Palace romhack I was playing while I was waiting for 2Ship to drop (highly recommended btw)

Gave the current build of the recomp a whirl and it works straight away. Only missing features I could possibly want are right stick camera control and d-pad ocarina. Incredible stuff for a 1.0.

Last edited:

russbus64

May 1, 2018
This is amazing. Given all the crap I've heard about the PC version of Rogue Squadron, I want this for that ASAP.

And Star Fox!
They did mention games that utilize microcode would present issues. Indiana Jones was pictured, but Rogue Squadron is another notable one. Maybe that game is more understood?

I'll be the one waiting for the Mission Impossible port.

OP
OP
Winnie

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
From the Harbour Masters 64 discord:

RgJqkGG.png

It seem that the Majora's Mask PC Port from them is coming in 3 days? I still need to update OT with the recomp news.