• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Despite deciding to cancel the 2019 release of Metro Exodus on Steam, Deep Silver are continuing to use the Steam community page to market the game.

Xbg7l2d.png

https://steamcommunity.com/games/412020/announcements/detail/1728722175258235230

Seems pretty backward thinking to continue to use a platform to market a game when you have decided to cancel the planned release on it.

The game will still hit Steam eventually, but not until 2020.

I wonder if Epic will ever implement functionality into Epic Store that allows publishers to share new trailers with customers. Currently there is no such functionality, and it looks like store pages are mostly static.

I wonder if Valve will update their developers/publisher agreement to prevent this kind of abuse.

Edit: Note the trailer features the Epic Store logo and says "2.15.19".
CkXUw4Q.png

Update: This post has been deleted.

Last edited:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
i mean yeah?

isn't the game still available day one to those who pre-ordered on steam? if i pre-ordered i'd like to be updated on this information.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Gabe should send mail and tell deep silver that they are an ass and they wont be working with them again.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam release is not cancelled. It's a timed exclusive for the Epic Store. It will eventually release on Steam.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
ban them from steam forever, remove all previous games from sale, no one abuses steam/gaben like this and gets away with it

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, on the other hand if i bought the game on steam and am getting it launch day i would feel not so great if they abandoned all updates and trailers for dlc that ill be able to purchase.

Since there is money invested in it now i feel they are obligated to serve those customers the same as elsewhere. Its a shitty situation that was caused by moving to epic store.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's for dozens of people who managed to snag a pre order on steam. LoL.

Because some of us have the game pre ordered on steam and would like to have a hub for the game. Not that I expect much of said hub, it's just full of people constantly posting ASCII middle finger emotes. Still taking the game related pages away would be strange.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
That's gross.
It's like Burger King stealing a Big Mac from McDonald's, forbidding McDonald's from selling Big Macs, and then standing inside McDonald's and saying "hey come to Burger King if you want a Big Mac!"

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Steam - your favourite ad platform!

I find it amusing that Valve are open enough to let this happen (or lazy enough - though that is less likely considering their usual stances), whereas nearly any other store would stamp down pretty hard on promotions effectively for a completely different service

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's like running into a McDonalds and yelling "No one does Chicken like KFC"

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
First person who posts photo of ad for McDonald's in Burger King restaurant gets 10$ game on Steam from me :D

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
After Operencia used steam to beta their game and now this i think Valve is about to change some rules.

OmegaX

Oct 28, 2017
Why wouldn't they? The game will be released to Steam eventually.
This is my opinion, too. They didn't cancel the Steam release otherwise they wouldn't be able to do this because their forum would have been deleted.
It's up to Valve to change their contracts so that publishers can't cancel a release after promoting the game on Steam first.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be amusing going forward to see how much more this happens/what Valve does about it. Think that other recent announced "exclusive" change game "Operencia" has a similar thing where their beta was done on steam.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly don't have too big of an issue of them posting the new material, people like me who preordered the steam version could be excited to see more about the game.

The big problem however is them peddling the EGS logo in that trailer and they deserve some scrutiny for doing that.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume it's automated in some way, or for the people who pre-ordered game and will receive the Steam version.

Still a bit silly, but probably better than the alternative of having the news feed be dead for a year for people who own the Steam version.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Going to be amusing going forward to see how much more this happens/what Valve does about it. Think that other recent announced "exclusive" change game "Operencia" has a similar thing where their beta was done on steam.

watch everyone excusing this will attack valve if they change their policies to prevent developers and publishers from abusing the Steam store for free marketing.