Cooking

Oct 27, 2017
This pushed me to finally refund my steam purchase. It's really hard for me to give a shit about a game published by these people. Sorry 4A. What a slap in the face

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fines aren't necessary I think, Valve should just remove Steam pages and forums of games that went exclusive to another storefront. There is really no need to have Steam pages running for Metro or Ashen for entire year. Valve could re-enable these pages a month before release date.

That sounds a bitter individual would do rather that how a company should act.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a bad look & misleading to put up a trailer advertising a 2.15.19 release date on a platform that won't be able to sell the game again until 2.15.20? It's not like it's actually evil, just kind of a dick move.
But you can't buy or even preorder the game so who cares? It's not a dick more even, at most it's a little sloppy.

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018

But why should Valve give a competing store an avenue to advertise on Steam?

Valve should make the community hub for games that jumped over to Epic like this invisible except for those who managed to preorder the game on Steam. Keeping the Steam pages public is giving free advertisement for a game exclusively available on a competing store which is stupid.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Fines aren't necessary I think, Valve should just remove Steam pages and forums of games that went exclusive to another storefront. There is really no need to have Steam pages running for Metro or Ashen for entire year. Valve could re-enable these pages a month before release date.
Pretty sure other stores just cut off the ends of trailers to not show the logos for the other storefronts if theirs is not present.

Delisting the pages seems...harsh.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
But you can't buy or even preorder the game so who cares? It's not a dick more even, at most it's a little sloppy.

That's the point. It would be frustrating to see a notification about this game being available for sale, go to attempt to purchase it, only to find out it's not available on the platform of your choice (maybe you have steam wallet fund or something, idk). I imagine for some consumers that could be a little confusing.

The "dick move" parts comes in if I'm putting myself in Valve's shoes. From a consumer stand-point it's just confusing.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Valve should make the community hub for games that jumped over to Epic like this invisible except for those who managed to preorder the game on Steam. Keeping the Steam pages public is giving free advertisement for a game exclusively available on a competing store which is stupid.

The game is still coming for steam and such a bitter reaction, that has no real value for them and may generate a backlash from devs for nothing else that satisfy their pride.

The value of community announcements as ads is minimum, Valve should focus on keeping good relationships with devs and publishers.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the point. It would be frustrating to see a notification about this game being available for sale, go to attempt to purchase it, only to find out it's not available on the platform of your choice (maybe you have steam wallet fund or something, idk). I imagine for some consumers that could be a little confusing.

The "dick move" parts comes in if I'm putting myself in Valve's shoes. From a consumer stand-point it's just confusing.
Oh for sure, I think it kind of screws Valve and it's def confusing.

But the strong language people are using here to condemn it... I just don't think it's that confusing, and I'm not particularly concerned about a company as big as Valve.

smuguire

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure other stores just cut off the ends of trailers to not show the logos for the other storefronts if theirs is not present.

Find me the steam page for the Wolfenstein 2009 game, or Telltale's Walking Dead games. They're gone, because they're not for sale on Steam. They have been doing this forever. If you can't buy the game on Steam, why would there be a Store page?

That said, they still have the Walking Dead Final Season page up on Steam, which is an Epic exclusive now. I wonder if they'll keep it up until the game is finished and delivered to those who purchased on Steam.

Deleted member 3058

Oct 25, 2017
Find me the steam page for the Wolfenstein 2009 game, or Telltale's Walking Dead games. They're gone, because they're not for sale on Steam. They have been doing this forever. If you can't buy the game on Steam, why would there be a Store page?
Ahh, sorry wasn't aware of that. Both of those are cases where the original publisher of the steam listing no longer has the rights to the continued sales of the product, though.. aren't they (or no longer exists as an operating company)?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not sure what's bitter or harsh about that. Seems like completely fair thing to do. Why should Valve pay for server upkeep when people are using Steam's forums to discuss games that are being sold on competing storefront. Steam's forums are even used for technical support for games that are being sold exclusively on EGS.

Also, why publishers should be allowed to promote their game on Steam during one year exclusivity period? We all know that majority of sales happen in the first weeks, all the buzz surrounding these games will be gone in 2020. Don't pretend like publishers are readying up for Steam release in 2020 by promoting their games now, we all know what they are doing.

All of this is just abuse of Steam and Valve's good will.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Steam picking up the slack for EGS yet again.

Anyway, they should keep the listing up since it's coming to Steam in a year. Removing marketing materials and not featuring the game on the front page until close to release date should be enough.

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Valve having the page still benefits Valve since it actually give them mind share of customers for future sales.
And Steam page advertising releases on competing store isn't a big deal.
People who found the page are either using Steam to browse the store or people who wants to buy Metro Exodus, in which case they would've found EGS anyway.