Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Immigration reform is going to require an act of Congress. It's worth asking what Biden would be willing to compromise and what sort of actual reform we'd actually see after it's been butchered to hell. Much like the ACA.
Rolling back Trump stuff won't require an act of Congress. And restoring dreamers won't either, though it'd be much better if it was enshrined in law.

Speaking of which, for all the bluster of "just expand the ACA/restore what's taken away" we forget that the Supreme Court with a conservative majority has agreed to hear arguments on whether or not the law was constitutional. It's entirely possible that regardless of whatever action Biden would take it's not going to matter in the long run because the ACA will be struck down in its entirety and we're back to square one all over again with nothing but Biden's promise of a vague public option that he consistently compares to Medicare, a social program he's consistently throughout his 40 years in Washington has advocated for budget cuts or freezes. So I can't say there's much faith from me at least that he'd do anything of any lasting effect on that issue short of somehow the Supreme Court rules in favor of the ACA which frankly Ian highly unlikely.
The argument for the ACA being unconstitutional is that there's no longer a tax which is why it was originally ruled constitutional. Restore the tax and the case no longer exists.

Also, if you think a democratic Senate and House would vote for medicare and social security cuts that would murder them in their home seats... Well, it won't happen. On top of that, at absolute minimum we'd see Pelosi's prescription drug bill put up which would drastically reduce prescription drug prices.

Assuming we get the Senate and House. In case where we don't, pretty much everything is doomed no matter the President anyway.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
What are the chances Biden picks a progressive VP to help satiate the left of the party? Not from the US but this outcome has left me hurt too because I felt Bernie was the kind of person who could show the rest of the world what a progressive agenda could accomplish.
Pretty decent. Being a woman and/or a PoC wouldn't hurt either.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
What's with all the people waiting in line in California? Ballots were mailed out to all registered voters weeks ago, and you could mail it postmarked on election day and it still counts. Postage was even free (my mom was so happy).

It seems like the only people who should've been going down to vote in person are people who:

Made a mistake on their ballot
Changed their mind after filling out their ballot, but didn't mail it in
Lost their ballot
Didn't get one in the mail
Wanted to change their registered political party

Sure, there's going to be a number of people that fit into one of those categories, but 3+ hour lines? This isn't Texas.

is the new computer system. My sister in law said at her polling place only 3 computers were working and 9 were down. My parents were upset because itwas difficult to use

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
What are the chances Biden picks a progressive VP to help satiate the left of the party? Not from the US but this outcome has left me hurt too because I felt Bernie was the kind of person who could show the rest of the world what a progressive agenda could accomplish.

Slim to none. That asshole's going to pick Kamala or Abrams which are both as moderate as they come.

Feb 16, 2018
What's with all the people waiting in line in California? Ballots were mailed out to all registered voters weeks ago, and you could mail it postmarked on election day and it still counts. Postage was even free (my mom was so happy).

only the registered democrats got the mail-in ballots with the option to vote for the presidential primary
most of everyone else had to go in-person, including people who might usually vote democrat but weren't actually registered for that party

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Immigration reform is going to require an act of Congress. It's worth asking what Biden would be willing to compromise and what sort of actual reform we'd actually see after it's been butchered to hell. Much like the ACA.

Speaking of which, for all the bluster of "just expand the ACA/restore what's taken away" we forget that the Supreme Court with a conservative majority has agreed to hear arguments on whether or not the law was constitutional. It's entirely possible that regardless of whatever action Biden would take it's not going to matter in the long run because the ACA will be struck down in its entirety and we're back to square one all over again with nothing but Biden's promise of a vague public option that he consistently compares to Medicare, a social program he's consistently throughout his 40 years in Washington has advocated for budget cuts or freezes. So I can't say there's much faith from me at least that he'd do anything of any lasting effect on that issue short of somehow the Supreme Court rules in favor of the ACA which frankly Ian highly unlikely.

The Supreme Court is not going to make a decision on the ACA case until June 2021 (Roberts knows that Trump would lose the election if they declared the ACA illegal). Biden will tell the DOJ to drop the case, which he absolutely can do.

As for immigration, there's a shitload that can be done via executive order, as Trump has proven.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have to go to work/college and then wait in line 3 hours to vote, young people, who hardly is active in voting is going to be there.

Dec 31, 2017
Oof rough night. Race isn't over but it Biden is the one attracting new voters, he'll be the one. I just hope he is pulled a bit more to the left; he's policies are currently lackluster, especially with regards to education.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ideally the VP candidate would be someone who can deliver Wisconsin. Think Biden has a good shot of getting Pennsylvania and Michigan to flip in a general election, but that still leaves Wisconsin.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
YAAS!!! Bernie LOST! Now I can live out my moderate dream. No real change. NOTHING! Moderates will rule forever baby!! You will never beat us :P

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
The Supreme Court is not going to make a decision on the ACA case until June 2021 (Roberts knows that Trump would lose the election if they declared the ACA illegal). Biden will tell the DOJ to drop the case, which he absolutely can do.

As for immigration, there's a shitload that can be done via executive order, as Trump has proven.

Does biden really care about those things tho

Bidens campaign has seemed to be 'Atleast I'm not trump'.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Yeah, but that's not going to happen if we don't care enough to vote and if we don't care enough to vote I doubt we are going to hit the streets and protest or revolt. It's an endless cycle and it's so frustrating.

Kinda hard to vote when you're working two jobs to cover your student loan debt and to heaven forbid you get sick. The youth vote can't come out because the system is designed to be as inconvenient as possible.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We're fucked because Democrats are cowards who want to pander and negotiate instead of taking lead like the Republicans have. Maybe once the aging populace that continues to push these people in as well as those in congress will die off before climate change kills us all so maybe something will change. But I doubt it. Gotta return to the normalcy where people are rationing insulin and latinos are quietly deported in record numbers this time while our planet burns because lol who's stopping fracking?
Those "cowards" just outnumbered us at the polls by an absurd amount.

We are not going to win any election without them.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda hard to vote when you're working two jobs to cover your student loan debt and to heaven forbid you get sick. The youth vote can't come out because the system is designed to be as inconvenient as possible.
Texas has early voting for 2 weeks. No excuses for youth not turning out other than laziness. The sudden rush to the polls at the last second is always the most ridiculous thing.

Rosé Fighter

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 23, 2019
He's literally stated what I outlined as his 100-day plan. So, yes. Top priorities for him.

ok

if he gets elected

we'll see what he does in 100 days. Outside of creepily touching women and girls. As a Latino, Biden screams 'THINGS CAN'T BE BETTER'. I'll be damned if I take what is most likely a white male telling me what's what.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Well, I hate Trump but I really don't see Biden beating him.
On to another 4 year of orange dingus in the white house I geuss.

Stay winning America.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I don't see how November won't be a lay-up for any dem candidate who isn't a Clinton. Trump won 2016 by an extremely thin margin against one of the most unlikable politicians in the country and I doubt he did anything to grow his voting bloc these past four years.

Convince me I'm wrong.
Clinton won the popular vote by nearly three million votes and still lost. Trump and the GOP have had four years to further prepare to gerrymander, suppress, and disenfranchise Democratic voters. He has free reign to employ and invite foreign interference to help him win the election. He and foreign actors will capitalize on Sanders failing to win the nomination to sow division in the Democratic party by exploiting the division between the progressive left wing of the party and party leadership/moderates. The moderate/centrist wing of the party and party leadership are already seen by the left as doing everything they can to prevent Sanders from winning. Biden is the most milktoast, uninspiring, centrist candidate since like Al Gore. The unprecedented youth turnout (sarcasm) during the primaries will be even more pathetic with old, senile, grandpa Biden leading the charge. Latino support will vanish given Biden's record on immigration and deportations. That's all before the GOP's propaganda machine and Biden's love of gaffes and unforced errors make him toxic to half the electorate. Long story short, if the only thing standing between Trump and the potential of a full-on right wing dictatorship is Joe f---ing Biden, then I'm not exactly confident. The sooner you come to terms with the likelihood of a Trump second term, the less painful it will be if/when he wins in November. I don't have much hope. Why should I?

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I see what you mean (and I agree) but let's not pretend that there werent lines drawn that certain people tonight arent fucking giddy in their loins to cross
Yeah, I don't disagree at all. I generally prefer folks not to antagonize the people who you'll want to vote eventually. It never turns out well.

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Trump just has to let Joe hang himself. Easy victory. Joe can't finish a thought or put two sentences together. Joe's shitty trade policies could sink Peters in MI as well. Trump will surely be talking it up. Joe could make a defense if he could put the words together. "NAFTA was a different time. Look. Trade is important that's why we invest in education so people aren't dumb enough to vote for me and my trade policies. The answer is simple."

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

All the pipelines

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a real truth that happens around the world: most people are conservative, specially older generations. There's no way around it.

phaeta

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I understand that joes doing so well with southern blacks because he was Obama's VP. I'm guessing when we say it no one can call us racist. I just wanted to know if there's something else I was missing, and yeah I'm in PA so the only southern Dems I talk to are in their early 20 and were Bernie supporters.
My mother, as a child, had to drink from the "colored" water fountains and sit upstairs in theaters. This was North Carolina, in the '50s, during real Jim Crow. Her grandmother, who lived in North and South Carolina, and New York City, saw a history that spanned from the invention of flight to the election of Barack Obama. Her grandmother was born a slave.

It's rather easy to dismiss the experiences of older black voters against a backdrop of a desire for revolution and radical change. However, I think you might learn something by sitting with any of them for a day and listening. Perhaps you'll learn something. Or not, who knows?

Deleted member 82

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's Biden? Are you fucking kidding me?

Throwing everything and the kitchen sink behind one candidate and nothing behind the other will tend to have that effect. Manufactured consent.

Might I point out that no such shenanigans could happen if every state voted on the same day. Or at least the results came out on the same day, with no polls in between. Like a normal democratic country.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
ESN8UuuWkAEhF98.jpg

Disgusting!

Status
Not open for further replies.