NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
Its more then what the PS4 launched with so I'll survive. We are all used to the battle of hard drive space by now unfortunately.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

hitme

Oct 26, 2017
Which franchise had the biggest overall install size (single player+MP+DLC) during current gen that was NOT CoD and GTAV?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Fucking 105GB holy shit, that SSD gonna go sanic fast. Xbox Series S is going to hold like 2 games with sizes like that, compared to 4 games for the Series X and PS5.
Xbox Series S will need less space due to using lower assets. Microsoft says about 30% less than Xbox Series X games average.
Weren't games meant to get smaller with SSD?
Yes, no duplicated assets needed. But we are now getting more games with 4K assets. Developers save space and space increases at the same time.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know how much usable space the Series S has yet? I wonder if there'll be anything this gen that literally can't be played on a Series S because it's too big for the hard drive :P

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
How big is Spidey on PS4?
8vPS0Nd.jpg

So much for smaller file sizes due to the SSD...damn. I actually believed that shit.
Nobody told you games were going to be smaller than current gen. I'd bet you were told games won't get much bigger compared to current gen. And that's exactly what we are seeing considering the increase in asset quality.

Digital Foundry quotes Mark Cerny.
"Telemetry is vital in spotting issues with such a system, for example, telemetry showed that the city database jumped in size by a gigabyte overnight. It turned out the cause was 1.6MB of trash bags - that's not a particularly large asset - but the trash bags happened to be included in 600 city blocks," explains Mark Cerny. "The Insomniac rule is that any asset used more than four hundred times is resident in RAM, so the trash bags were moved there, though clearly there's a limit to how many assets can reside in RAM."

It's another example of how the SSD could prove transformative to next-gen titles. The install size of a game will be more optimal because duplication isn't needed; those trash bags only need to exist once on the SSD - not hundreds or thousands of times - and would never need to be resident in RAM. They will load with latency and transfer speeds that are a couple of orders of magnitude faster, meaning a 'just in time' approach to data delivery with less caching.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
i think Spider-Man is like barely bigger on PS5 than on PS4 based on these numbers. Miles Morales is like 50GB.

while using newer higher quality assets
I don't remember that being the rhetoric when they were talking about getting rid of duplication, but I didn't buy it when it was being thrown around originally either.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Do we know how much usable space the Series S has yet? I wonder if there'll be anything this gen that literally can't be played on a Series S because it's too big for the hard drive :P

Series S games won't balloon in size bc they'll be designed for SSD and not using 4K textures and stuff, plenty may actually be smaller in size than what you currently get on Xbox One X

I don't remember that being the rhetoric when they were talking about getting rid of duplication, but I didn't buy it when it was being thrown around original either.

whoever was throwing around that rhetoric either didn't know what they were talking about or not considering higher quality assets taking up more space. no one ever officially promised smaller game file sizes next gen

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
These are the first two games for the PS5, Miles Morales was developed with PS4 in mind and Demon's Souls dev also likely started long time ago. It's understandable games won't take full advantage of the SSD yet and will be about the same size as current generation.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
You can, you just won't be able to play them.
That was my bad. I read an article from an Aussie gaming site this morning about not buying HDD's and they said it was unclear if you could transfer PS5 games to a HDD so I was unaware that you actually could do that (I knew you couldn't play them from that HDD).

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm considering they're proper 4K assets, Demon's Souls at 66GB and Miles Morales at 50GB doesn't seem too bad. At least not as bad as I was expecting.

My main worry though is what's going on with the 3rd party games such as CoD and Destiny... those already take up gnarly amounts of space.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
yeah Cerny said they need to be somewhat faster than the PS5's internal SSD in order to function the way it does with its unique I/O interface. For at least the first year or two yeah, expansion SSD for PS5 will be more expensive than the Xbox's proprietary option.

I'm not even considering it. 800GB is honestly plenty for more than a few games at a time (I don't play Call of Duty & GTA and such very much) and I don't mind moving them around in storage. Just gonna use my current external HDD for storage, pick up a couple external SSDs on the cheap when I can.
Yeah I mean I have had literally no problems on ps4 500 gb. Storage isn't huge to me because it's a second console, maybe tertiary device even behind pc

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
I wish the USB-C port was on the back. I'd like to plug in my external drive using that instead of the other USB ports but having a wire sticking out of the front is sort of unsightly. :\

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Miles have the PS4 versions duplicate files. Demon's Souls is the only PS5 only game, and 50gigs for a 4k game is pretty nice. Miles with the Spider-Man remaster likely has the old way of games made for HDD in it's file layout, though maybe they don't, Miles at the least. This could be one of many ways they built Miles for PS5 by not having file duplication in it.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wish the USB-C port was on the back. I'd like to plug in my external drive using that instead of the other USB ports but having a wire sticking out of the front is sort of unsightly. :\
They are both rated at the same speed. USB-C might have power delivery though. Perfect for PSVR2

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
I don't remember that being the rhetoric when they were talking about getting rid of duplication, but I didn't buy it when it was being thrown around originally either.
What rhetoric are you referring to? I don't recall any that says games were going to be smaller than current Gen.

Feb 23, 2019
Day 1 for MM and DS will take up around 13% of the HDD space

add some cross gen games and that gets up to 25%

probably be 2-3 years before I think I'll need to expand (where it gets annoying deleting games)

No biggie honestly

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft games are going to be even worse. I swear all the first party games are close to 100GB. I actually put off downloading stuff like Master Chief Collection because of it.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Killzone Shadowfall, a launch PS4 game, was 38GB

Killzone Shadow Fall™

Online servers for Killzone Shadow Fall including Intercept Mode will shut down on 12th August 2022. All online features for this game including online multiplayer modes will cease on that date. You will still be able to play and enjoy this game in single player offline modes. However, from 12th...

An increase from 38GB to 50GB is actually pretty decent all things considered.

According to IGN, the PS4 actually had ~407GB of usable storage, so Killzone took up 9.4% of that.

Assuming ~100GB off the PS5 SSD, Miles Morales at 50GB would be 6.9% of usable space.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly sure they mentioned more flexibility on installs next-gen, so beat the single-player, delete it, keep the multiplayer.

Probably won't be possible for every game type, but it should help for certain genres.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
My thoughts exactly. No need to duplicate assets anymore yadda yadda
Uhm, what Cerny and co said was true, because you are saving space without duplicated assets. However a game like Spiderman didn't have 4K assets and this changes on PS5.
I wonder if ps5 Spider-man still have that duplicate asset since you know, crossgen games
No. There is no reason to duplicate assets iirc.
What NVME drives are approved
Nothing is approved currently.
Cerny talked about the elimination of redundancies in the context of loading speeds, not file sizes.
He meant both and it's true. The issue at hand is that PS4/Pro didn't have high quality 4K textures, while PS5 has those. If you own a Xbox One X you know some games were bigger on this console, because it had more usable RAM than all other consoles and some developers put their 4K textures in the port.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Series S games won't balloon in size bc they'll be designed for SSD and not using 4K textures and stuff, plenty may actually be smaller in size than what you currently get on Xbox One X

whoever was throwing around that rhetoric either didn't know what they were talking about or not considering higher quality assets taking up more space. no one ever officially promised smaller game file sizes next gen
What rhetoric are you referring to? I don't recall any that says games were going to be smaller than current Gen.

I googled around and I guess I remember it wrong. I specifically remember thinking "lol no one is going to make smaller games"

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I googled around and I guess I remember it wrong. I specifically remember thinking "lol no one is going to make smaller games"

it's definitely been repeated by people on this forum a lot so you've seen it before, just not from anyone at Sony

I think It's going to be a 10-12 hour game

that used to be "normal" In the ps360 era lol

Probably, but it'll be packed with challenges and stuff like the first game I bet, so maybe more like a 20-30 hour game to platinum. I welcome a more concise experience than Spider-Man PS4, its length was my biggest issue with it.