• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Idk but the writing he gets for his movies has been outstanding.
I think it's his creativity. See Sicario versus the pretty lackluster sequel. Denis is just inspired. Who the hell makes a sequel to a cult hit and possibly even one ups it? I think Prisoners might be his best. It's one of the best thrillers I've seen, but also manages to be a pretty good character piece for both Jackman and Gyllenhal. All the characters are well realized. Maybe that's his gift, making characters that the audience can relate to, that the audience can engage with.

Yea he's got something.....

Picking the right screenplays that plays to his strengths could be it too, absolutely. Not wavering into a desire to crowd please. Respectful to source materials.

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely deserves it. Prisoners and Arrival were amazing. BR was solid, enemy and Sicario i didn't like as much but they were still fucking beautifully shot.

Oct 26, 2017
He did some TV but then he struggled to get a feature off the ground. He even tried to do the studio franchise thing and do World War Z 2 but that never went anywhere.
I feel that's different from traditional view of "director's jail". His lack of features imo is more so due to his own sense of perfectionism and trying to find the right project to work on.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
I feel that's different from traditional view of "director's jail". His lack of features imo is more so due to his own sense of perfectionism and trying to find the right project to work on.
Actors on Mindhunter said Fincher likes doing over 40 takes for a single scene sometimes. So the perfectionism also translates to his tv shows.

Mindhunter is godlike because of that tho.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Not a lot of competition when it comes to directors. It hasn't been a director-led decade for Hollywood.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Actors on Mindhunter said Fincher likes doing over 40 takes for a single scene sometimes. So the perfectionism also translates to his tv shows.

Mindhunter is godlike because of that tho.
I would die if I was part of production or acting for that lol

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
This guy is the bees knees, the real deal, top dog, etc.

I really enjoy his work as much as other directors are celebrated more on this board, whenever I see him get props I'm pleased.

Oct 27, 2017
He's really really great. I never even READ Dune (and barely remember the TV adaptation), but I'm really excited for it.

Still get emotional every time I hear "On The Nature of Daylight" from Arrival.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Inception, tdkr, intersteller, dunkirk.
br 2049, enemy, sicario, arrival and prisoners.

im kinda ok with this. dunkirk and tdkr did nothing for me.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
That's not the Russo Brothers.

Seriously though, I don't know if I'd put him at the top, but he's certainly up there.

Sephiroth

Oct 26, 2017
Well deserved. Every movie has been a must see.

I gotta be honest tho, I can't wait for Dune but I want more Detective Loki stories!

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
What an incredible run of films he's had. Unbelievably excited to see what he's able to do with Dune.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Enemy is such a mindfuck movie. It's been years since I watched it but still can't get it out of my head

fuck spiders

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Came for this

7qFBQTh.jpg

Lionheart

Oct 26, 2017
He's no Nolan but I liked Enemy, Sicario, Prisoners was alright and Blade Runner...well that is in my top 10.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Prisoners, Enemy, and Blade Runner are definitely some of the best movies of the past decade. Sicario is great too. Didn't really care for the last act of Arrival but it was still good. Well deserved title in my opinion.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Him? Such a boring pick. If you're going to pick a man that's had mainstream critical success, at least go with someone interesting like Richard Linklater. (Not saying he is the best, but a better choice. Also, no I'm not suggesting him just because of Boyhood.)

CassCade

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
He very much deserves it and I am pleased to see Enemy ignored, more people should watch Incendies though, one of the best films I've ever seen.

Monkey_Riah

Banned
Jun 10, 2019
Well deserved. He's the best in the business. Dune is his dream movie to create so I believe it will be his greatest work.

Nimurai

Oct 28, 2017
Him? Such a boring pick. If you're going to pick a man that's had mainstream critical success, at least go with someone interesting like Richard Linklater. (Not saying he is the best, but a better choice. Also, no I'm not suggesting him just because of Boyhood.)
How is he not interesting? He is by far the best choice for this decade. Who else is even close?

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong Denis but at least they picked the right dude since they went with a dude and not the superior Denis

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Totally deserved. Not only is he amazing at original content but he's even amazing at producing sequels to cult classics that, under normal circumstances, fans wouldn't be happy with regardless.

I still can't believe he pulled off a sequel to Blade Runner.

I'm not sure I'd call a movie starring Jared Leto to be "totally satisfying" to all fans of Blade Runner.

Also I think there are multiple parts of the movie that make it lesser than the original.