BlakeofT

Oct 30, 2017
My personal list of fixes
3. Why not just another of the same weapon? That would be a good way for me to be excited about my 17th better devils.

10. Please no. I'm still tired of every kill being a snipe. Can't belive they thought shot package was broken but left snipers alone for the most part.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy! If we're playing the anecdote game: I can't get anyone to want to jump ship back to Destiny 1 for the life of me (And with my experience with PS4's matchmaking for strikes, I have been trying). My girlfriend's curiosity with Destiny 1 starts and ends with...
  • The CGI cutscenes for Taken King and Rise of Iron.
  • Interesting bits of lore and environments that are re-used or mentioned in Destiny 2 no matter how briefly (I.E. Felwinter Cliffs with the observatory and what's beyond that weird dead-end by the observatory, what's Rasputin?).
Like I've told her about how reputation used to work, how much narrower and deeply defined you can build a character with gear and passive talents to excel with certain loadouts, how you can have utterly nuts base cooldowns on your abilities with proper stat balancing, and how having random perks on equipment makes the grind that much more evergreen compared to Destiny 2.

She's just not biting though, because that sort of grind is simply unappealing to her. She likes being able to swap around weapons as freely as she does without feeling like she's being penalized for it because of how much broader "Kinetic" mods are over like Hand Cannon reload speed, or needing to dump three hours into leveling an exotic before it's actually exotic. She's not willing to level a character up from level 1-40, hit 340 item level and still not have a single sub-spec maxed out no matter how much freedom that gives her build. She sees the mess of icons that are littered across every map and feels no inclination to want to run all that content because man, she does not think the Patrol Zones I've been running through are that interesting in the first place (But she's really quick to make fun of the fact that Fast Travel and in-game maps don't exist).

... She does love Ghost Ghost though. That almost broke her.

a8GVza2.jpg

I have to wonder how much of that's the same console-manufacturer politics that is keeping PS4 Minecraft players sequestered from the rest of their community.

I mean I very much think that Destiny 2 could have done a better job of appealing to that kind of person without alienating those who like the depth.

For example you could speed up the ability to get such and such gun, but still give it random rolls (but get rid of the bad ones this time). I doubt your girlfriend would mind if she merely got a competent gun and didn't get the good roll.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
The problem with people discussing population is that it lacks informed context. We don't have global population metrics, we don't have well-established expectations for how a large release population decline should look like to show this is aberrant or a concern. It's merely brought up as a justification for why some are dissatisfied, and without those contexts, and without comparing apples-to-apples, is essentially sophistry.

Right, but you're basically proposing they undo almost every thing that distinguishes this game from the first. Wouldn't it be better to fix its problems in different ways that please all fans, both those happy and disappointed? Masterworks felt like a taste of something in that vein.

Absolutely.. How is for instance adding 6v6 not appeasing both fans while still keeping a 4v4 for those who want it?

How would adding exclusive gear for strikes and crucible not be something everyone wants to see? Who doesn't want more gear?

Shaders being non consumable, again... Who is out there happy to use them up?

I'm speaking more on raising the quality of the game. These are things that would make for a better quality of game while playing.

Masterworks is fine... But it needs more, it's very very simplistic.

The game needs more of masterwork type additions, absolutely.. But I still stand by the fact that we need more missions, exclusive strike gear, better exotics , 6v6 etc... These things would instantly take a game that feels barebones into something a little more meaty.

This game thrives off the items we chase. So when you add in multiple gear sets to match modes, strikes etc... This incentive alone becomes a nice push.

I could sit and strike all day long for days if I'm hunting for pieces to a set, or a particular weapon. That's the type of push Diablo and other loot oriented games have and it works well.

Forged weapons is a good addition, however it still needs more and the weapons themselves need more thought. The are very simple and basic weapons with absolutely nothing exciting about them at all.

I'm all for appeasing all fans that's why I'm not saying heh remove 4v4, but rather add a 6v6 mode or two... Therefore it appeases both types of players.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
3. Why not just another of the same weapon? That would be a good way for me to be excited about my 17th better devils.

10. Please no. I'm still tired of every kill being a snipe. Can't belive they thought shot package was broken but left snipers alone for the most part.

That's fine as well but I still think to add more excitement to strikes or crucible, maybe have an item that drops that allows you to then utilize that spare weapon and change the perk of another. This adds another farm reason because then you rack up 4 or 5 of them and now you can look to change some perks.. Doesn't make it an automatic fix, a little work involved.

They just need to put those weapons back, rockets owns the heavy slot... Therfore making other types pretty useless.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm optimistic that 2018 will be a better year for Destiny 2's player experience. I've come to accept that it's the norm now that the first several months (maybe even the first year) are always going to be awkward for GaaS titles as they grow into their communities. I feel like the same was true for The Division, Destiny 1, and so on.

Only took three years for people to stop harping on SF5!

Honestly man it's not worth the energy re-typing the same thing. I'm on your side btw. Just let the scenario play out. Someone's getting egg on their face eventually.

As someone who played a lot of Street Fighter 5 and Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite - It's not worth arguing this point. Best you can hope for with this information is that the notion Bungie needs non-stop vitriol or they'll never get the message can be put to pasture. It won't, but you can hope.

Thoughts on re-starting over on the PC version - I've noticed the majority of the public events I've played on PC no-one has a clue how to get them to go heroic. The pretty much only exception to this is the scarab tank one, generally people know what to do there but man, I jumped back in to PS4 to do the weekly refresh flashpoint and everyone is just on point on PS4, every event heroic in seconds, even the taken blight one which in general I only seem to get to go heroic 50% of the time.

On another note - I got accepted to clan SEXY on PC so thanks for that, but does anyone still play on PC from there?

Maybe it's because I know how it goes, but the only ones that consistently make me nervous are the Taken Blight events, Mercury Crossroads and occasionally the Injection Rig.

Yeeep.

OP
OP
JohnOfMars

JohnOfMars

Fighting Lion
Oct 25, 2017
Mars
Absolutely.. How is for instance adding 6v6 not appeasing both fans while still keeping a 4v4 for those who want it?

How would adding exclusive gear for strikes and crucible not be something everyone wants to see? Who doesn't want more gear?.

Masterworks is fine... But it needs more, it's very very simplistic.

You can't just add things and it not affect the rest of the game.

6v6 requires a different map design than 4v4. You can't just spawn 50% more guardians on a map for 4v4 and it be okay. You can't make one game mode that requires 50% more people and it not affect the player population of the 4v4 mode. Same reason the playlists for PvP in D2 are consolidated. You can't have people picking only one mode and it not affect the population of the others. You can't add 2 more people per side shooting and it not affect the sandbox design that's based on 4 people per side. It's all tradeoffs. You can argue that Bungie made the wrong trade offs, but you can't argue that things are just free and easy.

Strike exclusive gear was in Year 2 (and some in Year 3) and it was awful. I got a zillion grass skirts and only 1 Imago Loop. And that one Loop had terrible perks. I spent every skeleton key I ever got there and it sucked running that same strike which I hated over and over for no reward. Worse than no reward. A grass skirt. How many people enjoyed farming Omnigul? No thanks. It's good in theory, but Bungie has a terrible track record here. I'm happy with the current implementation of planetary-based rewards being as specific as needed. Ornaments are a good solution to this. More ornaments. Less RNG.

Masterworks being very simplistic is good design. They are valuable in 3 ways (stats, kill count and orbs), but none of those are mandated. Masterworks are a great thing to chase because they're nice to have but they're not required. I don't feel penalized for not having them, but I feel just a bit more powerful for having one. And it's something I can chase for a long time as I masterwork all 20 guns I regularly use.

Last edited:

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Datto O P T I M A L D P S Argos

https://youtu.be/IwWmoe-OBII

tldr:

Sunbreaker super (with exploding hammers) is the surprise winner (I usually run Striker so I'll try Sunbreaker this week for giggles)
Dawnblade still lackluster but if you're a hipster who absolutely HAS to use Dawnblade instead of the much better choices he recommends the bottom tree
Nighthawk still great
Orpheus Rig tether to keep generating orbs for those Nighthawk or Hammer throwers can make up for lack of rockets

Snipers still garbage
New cluster rocket (classical) is garbo, stick wtih Curtain Call or Sins
Cluster Rockets still amazing
Telesto / Merciless not useful
Hard Light has no damage drop off, but really doesnt make enough of a difference to care

He recommends doing 1 DPS phase because its easier to manage and coordinate

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh

6v6 requires a different map design than 4v4. You can't just spawn 50% more guardians on a map for 4v4 and it be okay. You can't make one game mode that requires 50% more people and it not affect the player population of the 4v4 mode. Same reason the playlists for PvP in D2 are consolidated. You can't have people picking only one mode and it not affect the population of the others. You can't add 2 more people per side shooting and it not affect the sandbox design that's based on 4 people per side. It's all tradeoffs. You can argue that Bungie made the wrong trade offs, but you can't argue that things are just free and easy.

Strike exclusive gear was in Year 2 and it was awful. I got a zillion grass skirts and only 1 Imago Loop. And that one Loop had terrible perks. I spent every skeleton key I ever got there and it sucked running that same strike which I hated over and over for no reward. Worse than no reward. A grass skirt. How many people enjoyed farming Omnigul? No thanks. It's good in theory, but Bungie has a terrible track record here. I'm happy with the current implementation of planetary-based rewards being as specific as needed. Ornaments are a good solution to this. More ornaments. Less RNG.

Masterworks being very simplistic is good design. They are valuable in 3 ways (stats, kill count and orbs), but none of those are mandated. Masterworks are a great thing to chase because they're nice to have but they're not required. I don't feel penalized for not having them, but I feel just a bit more powerful for having one. And it's something I can chase for a long time as I masterwork all 20 guns I regularly use.

I think some of these maps are just fine for 6v6, some of the D1 maps are even smaller and suit 6v6 just fine.. But either way it might require some work, it just needs done. 4v4 does not work for what destiny and guardians are all about.

And just because some exclusive gear in the past might have been bad doesn't mean it can't be improved. There needs to be gear that can be had doing these activities and imho the concept is a good concept but needs someone to design really cool sets of armor and exclusive weapons.

Honestly I don't know how more to respond because it's simply subjective. You like almost nonexistent changes to a weapon, I want to have fun with more.. Where do we even take that conversation?

I just think in general you're going to more or less just take what D2 is and find enjoyment. Which is fine but I believe it's way to barebones

chilledunit

Oct 29, 2017

Strike exclusive gear was in Year 2 (and some in Year 3) and it was awful. I got a zillion grass skirts and only 1 Imago Loop. And that one Loop had terrible perks. I spent every skeleton key I ever got there and it sucked running that same strike which I hated over and over for no reward. Worse than no reward. A grass skirt. How many people enjoyed farming Omnigul? No thanks. It's good in theory, but Bungie has a terrible track record here. I'm happy with the current implementation of planetary-based rewards being as specific as needed. Ornaments are a good solution to this. More ornaments. Less RNG.

I actually agree with your point regarding crucible maps, but it would be a lot stronger argument if they hadn't just cc'd Shores of Time over to D2. The Warsat launch facility in D2 plays really similar to the mercury (Crucible of Flame?) map in D1 too. The only ones I don't think would work too well 6v6 are Retribution, Vostok and the bombed out villiage one with the cabal jump jets and base on one side - those three are the worst maps anyway though.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I actually agree with your point regarding crucible maps, but it would be a lot stronger argument if they hadn't just cc'd Shores of Time over to D2. The Warsaw launch facility in D2 plays really similar to the mercury (Crucible of Flame?) map in D1 too. The only ones I don't think would work too well 6v6 are Retribution, Vostok and the bombed out villiage one with the cabal jump jets and base on one side - those three are the worst maps anyway though.

And I wouldn't be offended if to buy some time they added a few of the good D1 maps to D2 for 6v6 while taking time to design some new ones.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
All the sweaty preferred maps:

Burning Shrine
Rusted Lands
Anomaly
Firebase Delphi
Cauldron
Twilight Gap
Shores of Time (already in D2, albeit much smaller)
Pantheon (works great as 3v3/4v4, 6v6 needed better spawning)
Black Shield
Timekeeper

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Love burning shrine, Anomaly, exodus, twilight, shores, delphi... I actually really loved the complete playlist of maps in D1 Y1, some good times.

Side question, just got a purpose... How do people feel about it? Seems pretty solid tbh. Love how it fires but curious if it's something folks use that much

Oct 27, 2017
Ikora's Resolve looks great with a lot of different shaders but I think Calus's Elite is my favorite.

We should at the very least get a Exotic Ship & Sparrow collection in the vault so we can spread the love across characters.

Really wish I would have bought the Saint-14 ship to put on my Titan in remembrance of my Titan (and many others) from Destiny 1.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Ikora's Resolve looks great with a lot of different shaders but I think Calus's Elite is my favorite.

We should at the very least get a Exotic Ship & Sparrow collection in the vault so we can spread the love across characters.

Really wish I would have bought the Saint-14 ship to put on my Titan in remembrance of my Titan (and many others) from Destiny 1.

Threw that on as well. I like how it basically makes the markings into azteks like on a Trek starship, instead of a paint job.

Got the Gray Pigeon and now just waiting for the Aegis to come up to round out my D1/VOG ship load out. Vex and Traveler transmats to boot.

Sadly these seem to he dropping super rare. Have yet to see one exotic ghost drop while in the tower for anyone. They increased the loot pool or dropped down the exotic drop rate; possibly both since they'll never tell us their roll rates.

chilledunit

Oct 29, 2017
Hm? I've inspected eververse and I don't recall there being any similar to it. It's similar to a D1 ship, but nothing in D2 that I know of.

It's possible I have Ikora's resolve but it dropped with a black shader. It was a drop for me, not a purchase - bright engram I think. I'm loading in now.

Edit - yep, sorry, my mistake - it's Ikora's resolve but it looks nothing like the thumbnail. It has a shader on it. Sorry!

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd suggest holding onto Bright Dust for the moment, until the next EV/MTX event in February, instead of spending it on Ikora's ship this week. Seems like a safe assumption that they might be adding Eververse armour for that event, so try not to burn your stockpile now if you think you might want that kind of stuff in February. This is working with the assumption that you'll be able to purchase gear pieces from EV the way you were able to with The Dawning.

Oct 27, 2017
I swear the Aeon Swift gauntlets are like a virus I can't get rid of or something. I mean I don't need anything as all my characters are 335 PL with multiple loadouts for different subclasses and whatnot. I also have all the weapons I want/need at 335 PL but rest assuredly 90% of my Milestone rewards result in Aeon Swifts and a Pulse Rifle.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I'd suggest holding onto Bright Dust for the moment, until the next EV/MTX event in February, instead of spending it on Ikora's ship this week. Seems like a safe assumption that they might be adding Eververse armour for that event, so try not to burn your stockpile now if you think you might want that kind of stuff in February. This is working with the assumption that you'll be able to purchase gear pieces from EV the way you were able to with The Dawning.

It was just leaked on Reddit and elsewhere. It's all Legendary stuff, so nothing too crazy to hunt for unless you like reskins. They don't have the armor up yet though.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Problem is, when will it be sold again? Probably never. None of the exotic Season 1 ships got sold again iirc. If I'm wrong then I'll definitely hold off, but this is the ship I really want.

It was just leaked on Reddit and elsewhere. It's all Legendary stuff, so nothing too crazy to hunt for unless you like reskins. They don't have the armor up yet though.

No exotic emote? I can see that showing up.

Though we don't know what in their philosophy on eververse might change from the dawning now.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
How much are legendary emotes? I want Odder Dance when/if it becomes available and I don't want to be short on fake money dust.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
How much are legendary emotes? I want Odder Dance when/if it becomes available and I don't want to be short on fake money dust.

Pretty sure 800.

Also, uh spoilers if you don't want to see what (presumably Eververse) loot is in Crimson Days:

DTHxguUXUAA_JXD.jpg:large

No exotic, well really anything means I can rest easy buying the Ikora ship. Well, that is unless next week they sell selfie, because it will be physically impossible to save up for it. I sincerely hope they don't.

The shaders look like they could be alight.

EDIT: I just actually bothered to register what those last two items are....huh. Not sure.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Pretty sure 800.

Also, uh spoilers if you don't want to see what (presumably Eververse) loot is in Crimson Days:

DTHxguUXUAA_JXD.jpg:large

No exotic, well really anything means I can rest easy buying the Ikora ship. Well, that is unless next week they sell selfie, because it will be physically impossible to save up for it. I sincerely hope they don't.

The shaders look like they could be alight.

EDIT: I just actually bothered to register what those last two items are....huh. Not sure.

Matthew-McConaughey.gif

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Prometheus skin icon looks promising.

And I really don't like the current Wardcliffe Coil ornament tbh. It's just like, here it's purple now. So hopefully that one will be pretty decent.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Oh boy, I think I just hit the wall officially.

Booted up, got super apathetic and closed it within 2 minutes. I really need some purpose and I'm struggling to find enough to play for the last week.

> I'm maybe 10 total items (weapons + armor out of the 250 or so slots) away from everything being base 330.
> I have 39 Masterworks and there are only 3 that I think I want that I still don't have (and enough shards to make 1).
> I have all the exotic weapon and armor pieces, all but 1 of the emotes I believe, half of the exotic ships/sparrows
> I have full prestige armor sets, and all the other armor pieces that I like/wanted

I'm just not sure what's left for me to play for beyond just the general fun of it. I don't have a PvP crew of regulars, so Trials isn't much of a go and regular Crucible is kinda meh. I just...it's hard to find things to do when there are so few things to do to upgrade yourself in a game like this.

Maybe I should become a raid Sherpa or something and teach. Or just play something else.

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Oh boy, I think I just hit the wall officially.

Booted up, got super apathetic and closed it within 2 minutes. I really need some purpose and I'm struggling to find enough to play for the last week.

> I'm maybe 10 total items (weapons + armor out of the 250 or so slots) away from everything being base 330.
> I have 39 Masterworks and there are only 3 that I think I want that I still don't have (and enough shards to make 1).
> I have all the exotic weapon and armor pieces, all but 1 of the emotes I believe, half of the exotic ships/sparrows
> I have full prestige armor sets, and all the other armor pieces that I like/wanted

I'm just not sure what's left for me to play for beyond just the general fun of it. I don't have a PvP crew of regulars, so Trials isn't much of a go and regular Crucible is kinda meh. I just...it's hard to find things to do when there are so few things to do to upgrade yourself in a game like this.

Maybe I should become a raid Sherpa or something and teach. Or just play something else.

I'm with you, did some of my titan milestones as I have got weeks now on all 3 chars... At 334 with everyone because I can't get the items I need to bump 335 like my titan mark etc... And I just sat there after I turned them in thinking at this point what am I even doing right now.

I think and probably not a popular opinion but I think we just get an overload of gear.. I just don't see how it can be sustained month after month week after week when you have engrams coming in so many directions.

That's just me tho.