Best in slot weapons and crafting guide for new/returning players
  • super-famicom

Avenger
    Oct 26, 2017
    So, what are the resources to look at to figure out what guns are good? I'm going to want to play the Final Shape, and have access to Witch Queen and Lightfall right now, but no seasons.

So basically, all the major DLCs, but no seasonal content. I don't really want to jump into the seasonal stuff, because I did get really into the 30th anniversary and it just killed all momentum I had for witch queen. I just finished the main story there, and am about to finish the Lightfall story.

Here are some resources you can check out. Keep in mind that these are just (experienced) players' opinions and that you or anyone else might not fully agree with. But it's a good starting point. I came back to the game in the spring and found these to be pretty helpful:

(NOTE: this spreadsheet is not up to date but I included it anyways because you can at least see where weapons can drop from)
    docs.google.com

Destiny 2 Best in Slot Legendary Weapons (S20)

Best in Slot Legendary Weapons Auto Kinetic Slot,Element,Craft,Source,Use,Auto Energy Slot,Element,Craft,Source,Use,SMG Kinetic Slot,Element,Craft,Source,Use,SMG Energy Slot <a href="https://www.light.gg/db/items/484515708/rufuss-fury/">Rufus’s Fury</a>,Strand,RoN,PvE/PvP,<a href="https://www.l...

Also, if you have the 30th anniversary pack, the shotgun and hand cannon from Grasp of Avarice dungeon are both great. All of the craftable weapons from Dares of Eternity are very good (the breech grenade launcher Pardon Our Dust with Auto Loading Holster and Disorienting Grenades is incredibly useful when running harder content). The craftable weapons whose patterns you should have gotten when doing the intro to crafting quest at the start of Witch Queen are very good too: Ammit AR2 is an incredible workhorse auto rifle for solar builds and is also excellent in the Crucible, Taipan is a great linear fusion for bosses. Lightfall weapons are great too. Getting the crafting patterns was an extreme chore but got fixed this season so it should be easier. If you like hand cannons, Round Robin is great, and Iterative Loop is an incredible fusion rifle.

For Vanguard weapons, get some engrams, go to the Legacy Gear option and then buy Hothead. That's one of the current meta rocket launchers and you'd want to get Auto Loading Holster and Explosive Light on it. Run Nightfalls and try to look for a Hung Jury, which is an incredible scout rifle. You can also go to the Dreaming City destination and run some of the Well public events and get a decent kinetic auto rifle (Tigerspite), which has served me well as a workhorse in a lot of content, as well as Vouchsafe, a very very good Void scout rifle.

Check in with Banshee at the Tower every day; he sells two pools of weapons, one that rotates on a weekly basis (with fixed rolls for the entire week) and another pool that rotates daily, with rolls changing twice a day (although lately this season the rolls haven't changed). He has recently been selling Retrofit Escapade, which is one of the best machine guns, after it has been unavailable for a long time.

Also, when you bought Lightfall, you should have also gotten the current season at the time you purchased it. If you bought it at its launch, then you should have access to Season 20, which have some amazing weapons that you can craft.

Last edited: