• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I am in at launch if no annual pass. If there is an annual pass then I will wait again for the inevitable sale just like Forsaken and its annual pass. That is how I jumped back into D2.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah....but the smallest of small vocal minorities want spaceship fighting in the game. While people end game starved want vendor refreshes and dungeons. This would be the lowest thing on the priority list.

Would having a medicore spacecraft mission keep you playing 6 months to a year long? If not then it's not worth doing

Why wouldn't there be space combat equivalents? Vendors for tons of weapons and ships and more.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine they'll be an annual pass to go with this too. I didn't mind the pass tbf. Gambit sucked but Forge was OK and this new season looks great fun.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They sure do know how the milk their customers. Annual passes should include the expansions or vice versa, having both is some scummy shit.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Definitely down for some more moon adventures and activities, especially if Bungie applies some Forsaken-like creativity toward the new location. Hopefully Bungie still has some big announcements for D2 beyond this leaked new expansion DLC. While new content is cool (its really the bare minimum), but D2 could really use some substantial system level updates and UI clean up.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Then the annual pass would just be more expensive and people would complain.

Do you complain that WoW and FF14 are scummy when they don't include expansions in their subscription?

Destiny these days is a lot more mtx monetized than something like WoW though. I just booted D2 back up for the first time since the last dlc came out, and I saw the store had been overhauled to showcase A LOT more cosmetics that you can only purchase with real money

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
It feels like it's too late for me to jump back in. Stopped playing at the end of vanilla D2.
Will be back for D3, though.
That being said, I always loved the Moon in D1.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Destiny these days is a lot more mtx monetized than something like WoW though. I just booted D2 back up for the first time since the last dlc came out, and I saw the store had been overhauled to showcase A LOT more cosmetics that you can only purchase with real money
You haven't seen the MTX store of WoW...

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a game that is HEAVILY monetized: paid base game, paid expansion, monthly sub, cosmetics, paid character boosts, paid appearance changes. What Destiny does is pretty much run of the mill for service games nowadays.

I'm not a fan of WoW's monetization one bit. However those pets and mounts are the result of them slowly being added over a period of more than a decade. Destiny 2 has way more cosmetic stuff, and it's been around for a quarter of the same time. And on top of that it also has lootboxes.

I really don't think it's even comparable

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not a fan of WoW's monetization one bit. However those pets and mounts are the result of them slowly being added over a period of more than a decade. Destiny 2 has way more cosmetic stuff, and it's been around for a quarter of the same time. And on top of that it also has lootboxes.

I really don't think it's even comparable
The massive inclusion of paid cosmetics in WoW did not begin until recent years.

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Yes it did? Like I said, the first cosmetic mount came out like a decade ago, and they've been slowly adding more ever since, same with the pets
Yeah of course because it's an older game. Bottom line is: Destiny's monetization while outdated and not entirely consumer friendly, is also not out of the ordinary compared to other similar games. The biggest negative change on MTX this season is that the things you get for free from gameplay are completely old stuff from year 1, everything new is separate individual purchase, and only a select few is bright dust purchasable.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah of course because it's an older game. Bottom line is: Destiny's monetization while outdated and not entirely consumer friendly, is also not out of the ordinary compared to other similar games. The biggest negative change on MTX this season is that the things you get for free from gameplay are completely old stuff from year 1, everything new is separate individual purchase, and only a select few is bright dust purchasable.

It being an older game doesn't really seems relevant though. You're claiming that there's been a massive rise in the cosmetic mtx content in wow in recent years. Which isn't really the case based on the release dates I could find for the various mtx pets and mounts, unless our own definition of "massive" is very different.

And what you're describing with regards to everything from the new season being something sold mostly for money, is extremely different from a game like WoW.

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
Stopped playing after beating the first DLC of vanilla D2.
Would this expac be a good re-entry point?

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stopped playing after beating the first DLC of vanilla D2.
Would this expac be a good re-entry point?

Probably, Forsaken is basically half the game as it stands now and the annual pass while being different than old expansions, does add a healthy amount of endgame and fun exotics. I assume whatever the new expansion with the previous DLC costs will be worth it.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then the annual pass would just be more expensive and people would complain.

Do you complain that WoW and FF14 are scummy when they don't include expansions in their subscription?

Because they're the same kinds of games, right? Destiny is the only game in this category that does this stuff and some of you lap it up like that's the way it should be. You accepting it doesn't make it any less ridiculous.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a good time for me to jump back into destiny . I feel I am so far behind now it would take forever to catch-up .

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Newest expansion has a quest that has you end up with gear that puts you at the level needed for the new content, so it's not too bad.

I'm lost with all the add ons - expansions etc , if I just have the d2 base game is there a single upgrade that gets you up to date ? Maybe I'll just wait for this one .

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
I'm lost with all the add ons - expansions etc , if I just have the d2 base game is there a single upgrade that gets you up to date ? Maybe I'll just wait for this one .
Yes, Legendary Collection or Complete Collection, but I would suggest waiting for now, a sale might be coming considering E3 and the imminent announcement of the new expansion.

Laurel_McFang

Feb 17, 2019
It sounds like Bungie is listening and decided on a big expansion as annual pass only was not popular. bigger ? is how will they fix crucible? trials?

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
As said in the other thread I was setting myself up for disappointment and while a new expansion I think is positive if it is near the caliber of Forsaken, I will be really disappointed if they do not announce they are bringing D1 forward into D2 and then will essentially make it a hub for all future destiny content going forward.

I would love to replay D1 on PC and imagine when they release D3 if they did this that it effectively had all the content from D1 and D2 within the same game because D3 is essentially a $60 expansion to the main destiny hub effectively making it a true lite-mmo

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
I might start playing again but prob not worth buying any season pass?
If you already have vanilla you already have first two dlc whether you purchased or not.

Forsaken + annual pass is $40
Shadow keep + 4 season passes [aka annual pass 2019] is this years deluxe edition for $60
Shadow keep alone is $35

If you already own forsaken I think you can buy it's annual pass for $15

Come September, you won't need to buy forsaken bundle or standalone annual pass 2018 to be up to date with everyone (we're still in the last season of forsaken annual pass content drops). After September you can purchase seasons a la carte, I think they said you don't need to technically own shadowkeep to participate in individual seasonal content. Forsaken and annual pass has a lot of meta weapons for both PvP and pve, so if you want that have at it.