• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Speaking to Inverse about his career, Detective Pikachu star, Justice Smith, who played Pikachu's newfound friend Tim Goodman in the film, said he doesn't know if a sequel is happening. He's not exactly sure if a sequel is definitively not happening, but he's buried his hopes for such a movie.

"I would love to participate in Detective Pikachu 2," Smith told Inverse. "I don't know if it's going to happen. I think we have to just kind of bury our hopes. I don't think it's going to happen. I really hope so though. Honestly, I'm such a huge fan, who knows, who knows? I hope so."

IGN

Sonic won

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that makes sense given how the movie ended

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
>launch at the worst possible time
>still made nearly half a billion dollars

>no sequel

man fuck them

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It was a weak kids film carried entirely by the novelty of seeing Pokemon in live-action. With the novelty gone, the sequel would probably be a turbo-bomba.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It's really weird to me that they made a movie out of Detective Pikachu, which i thought was the dumbest fucking idea, it actually ended up being decent and made a lot of money and there's like zero hype for a sequel

Antoo

May 1, 2019
pretty awful movie that coasted on the novelty factor of its visuals which ranged from pretty great (Pikachu) to awful (Gengar)

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think a sequel makes sense based on the story. But another movie in the Pokemon universe needs to happen.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, the movie doesn't need a sequel anyway. Just make a movie about Pokemon tournament instead with DP characters making a cameo.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's ok. They should continue this series by combining random Pokémon with increasingly unlikely professions.

Lawyer Meowth
Baker Shuckle
Chiropractor Toxicroak

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
I really needed to see more chonk Pokémon in that CG fur. Still think it's gonna happen in the future.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Movie ended on a solid enough note. Didn't think there was much need for a sequel.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird to me that they made a movie out of Detective Pikachu, which i thought was the dumbest fucking idea, it actually ended up being decent and made a lot of money and there's like zero hype for a sequel
Only really reason to make a Detective Pikachu movie is to go cheap and keep things some what on a small scale and make it just a detective movie with a Pokémon skin

and yet for some reason they didn't do that. There's barely any investigation or mystery clue solving plot to it at all and they sunk a bunch of money on big CGI Pokemon mewtwo battles anyway.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Hot take but I felt like it did the game's story a disservice by making in a whole "fate of the world" thing (among other complaints). Much more excited for the next game.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't finish it, despite the better VFX compared to Sonic. Sonic was a much better movie.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Pretty odd considering it did great box office and the movie industry will keep pumping out sequels to most things that sell. Also given that Pokemon is a huge international franchise.

I don't play Pokemon but I saw the movie and enjoyed it. Would watch a sequel.

kowhite

May 14, 2019
It was a much better movie

I mean, Detetive Pikachu made more money, it just cost more too.

How the heck was the worst possible time?

I presume he means cause it was soon after Endgame. I...don't think that had that much impact on Pikachu, other movies have both made more money in the same weekend as that initial weekend. Pikachu basically did what it was gonna do. Outside of opening weekend on truly massive movies I don't think competition is that impactful.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
Movie might have a conclusive ending, but there's still hope for a Detective Pikachu Reboot

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Shame, I enjoyed it, but does it really need a sequel? Just do a movie set in that world

Gravidee

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there needs to be a sequel especially given how it ended. But I would like another live action film set in the Pokemon universe.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird to me that they made a movie out of Detective Pikachu, which i thought was the dumbest fucking idea
I think it was one of those space-brained ideas that they couldn't just do a classic mainline game/anime style story and had to make something more "Hollywood" (read: talking cartoon and bland human sidekick).

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'm honestly stunned legendary hasn't made another announcement of a new Pokemon movie. You'd think they'd make one based off RBY or something by now? Hell, I'm wanting a PMD movie. Give me a crazy idea that plays out like tokusatsu and I'll be in love

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I thought it was a pretty average movie with some awesome fan service, a mediocre second act, and a neat ending. Fine without a sequel but I liked it more than Sonic.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing they wanted to maybe reveal/release the sequel game first (yeah, the one everyone forgets about :p)

They were previously planning some type of sequel, but maybe it didn't get past the planning stage.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
They announced a sequel to the game forever ago and nothing ever came of that.

I'd say the same thing about BotW2 and Metroid Prime 4, though. Nintendo announced a lot of stuff WAY ahead of when they should've. I'm sure it's still being worked on, but add COVID issues that didn't help last year.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how it ends there isn't really much room for a direct sequel
unless they found some dumb way to merge detective dad and pikachu together again, which isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

It would be more interesting just to tell different stories in that same world.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only great things in the movie were the Mr. Mime and Ditto scenes.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Film is good, but there's a lot that could've been better.

As a Pokemon fan it's an 8/10 but just on it's own it's 6.5/10 at best.

I still can't believe it didn't do bigger numbers given the Pokemon brand power.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
A sequel would be really forced from a narrative perspective. Still not sure if it was better or worse than Sonic.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the film was overall bad.

but the worst part is that they made it a "save the world" story which was completely unnecessary. Should've kept it in much smaller scale then that.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they're working on a reboot as we speak with Danny Devito as Pikachu

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's so weird that WB/Legendary would give up on adapting an IP as massive as Pokemon after one meh movie. I guess they could instead be doing a different take on the IP instead of a Detective Pikachu sequel, but we haven't really heard much going on if that is the case.