• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
but the worst part is that they made it a "save the world" story which was completely unnecessary. Should've kept it in much smaller scale then that.

They also turned the whole original point of Pokemon (pet battles) into an illegal underground cage match for some reason. Its like if the Sonic movie had the message "Speed kills" thrown in.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty mediocre movie, so I'm too bothered. Justice Smith was a solid lead, though.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno how you continue the story really. If you were to do another pokemon movie, you'd probably make it something more closer to the mainline games or the anime series next.

I felt the film would have been a lot better if they kept to their Detective Mystery formula and had a Knives Out style ending we're the villain is logiced to defeat. But I guess people gotta see big explosions and have a dumb final battle sequence with perhaps one of the worst takes on
Mewtwo I've seen, why they thought to go with the realistic speaking with Bill Nighy's voice. It just really doesn't work, and the pokemon merging just comes right out of no where as well.

But hey, if you wanted a sequel, you probably should have seen it more to make the 1 billion dollar gross a thing. As is though, I'm not going to miss out a sequel to this. I'd much rather have a different take anyway. Gimme a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon style movie, that would be ace.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
The timing of when they relased the movie was so stupid...

it is a good kids movie the detective pikachu does not need a sequel but I hope they explore a live pokemon movie again.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Detective Pikachu is the best Pokémon related anything I've engaged with in like 10 years. So I hope there is a sequel. Or at least another movie in the Pokemon universe.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
A Sony/Nintendo Cross Project? Well, it's wild. But don't say it can never happen!

Even Blue Sky is better at keeping the original look and feel of existing characters (ie. Peanuts) than Illumination. I don't even know what to expect from the Mario movie that's happening. I guess Mario has been 3D for long enough that it could work but still...

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Just make a live action movie based on Ash and season 1 of the anime and watch the money pour in.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
>launch at the worst possible time
>still made nearly half a billion dollars

>no sequel

man fuck them

Literally. It was sandwiched between the biggest movie of all time (at the time) and like the biggest animated movie franchise and still managed to do really well. Got good reviews and great fan feedback + it was trending on Netflix when it released. Like clearly the franchise has potential they just messed up their released date. Trailers got over 40 million and 70 millions.

I hope it's because they are waiting for the second game, but you would think these would be made at the same time to coincide.

Nov 3, 2017
Wouldn't it make more sense that TPCI and the movie studio are waiting for the release of Detective Pikachu 2 on the Switch so that they can then adapt that into a sequel movie?

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
pain
eternal pain
The movie itself might not have been ''WOOOOW'' or anything but the pokemon world being presented that way was a dream coming true for me, it would be sad as fuck not continuing from there, even if is with another cast of characters and story.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I enjoyed Detective Pikachu for what it was (I enjoyed the first half but then it got pretty ehh).

Never forget this thread though
www.resetera.com

Which movie will do better at the box office- Toy Story 4 or Pokemon: Detective Pikachu?

Toy Story 4 is a brand new entry in one of the, if not the, most beloved movie franchise of all time (certainly on the animated side of things). It's by Pixar (almost always a sign of success), and it's bound to do well as a result. Nonetheless, some factors against it include it being a fourth...

Jul 5, 2019
The movie had an 150 million budget + marketing costs (which from what I've heard, usually double the overall budget) and only made a little bit over that box office wise. I honestly don't know how much of that was Avengers Endgame and how much of that was "middling reviews and word of mouth," but it was probably both.

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't want a sequel, considering how the first one ended.

We'll probably get a different kind of a Pokemon movie

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I missed seeing it in theaters, but watching it after I enjoyed it but would mtn say it needed a sequel. Would still be interested in another Pokémon film though.

I imagine the issue was film budget and box office. It likely ended up just breaking even after other aspects were considered.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
>launch at the worst possible time
>still made nearly half a billion dollars

>no sequel

man fuck them
$430m off a $150m budget is extremely far from impressive. That's the exact same budget as Jurassic World, with 1/4th the gross. And blaming Endgame and calling it "the worst possible time" is a stretch when Endgame had pulled in most of its final gross already and you're talking about wildly different movies.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I hope they do another Pokemon movie if not Detective Pikachu. It wasn't an amazing movie (although I really liked it personally), but it proved to me that Pokemon themselves actually work really well in a live action setting. They looked amazing and it made me want more.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of agree that the story doesn't really have any place to go. I think if there's another Pokemon live-action movie they'll have to figure something adjacent out.

That said, the one thing I really wouldn't care to see is a traditional Pokemon movie with some 10-year-old kid battling gyms to face the final four. It's already a tired story in the games, and you want to take the most interesting part of the game out (all the interactive/battling bits) to focus on the dull part? While also mostly ignoring the stuff that made Detective Pokemon (the game and to an extent the movie) great, the funny/cute/etc. interactions with Pokemon in a mundane setting? I would so much rather keep the Ryme City-style setting with Pokemon interacting with humans on a regular basis in the big city.

Last edited:

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The trailer was dope. Never saw it though lol

I hope TPC gets to keep the models for the monsters because they look incredible. Maybe the Switch 10 can render fuzzy Pikachu

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'd like to see another movie within the game universe, there's something nice about the Pokémon and human interactions that don't involve your usual Pokémon battles.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Movie was whatever, but I thought the world and art direction was really incredibly done. Would've liked to see more. I don't think there's any indication of more Pokemon movies in that world.

RXM027

Dec 18, 2020
$430m off a $150m budget is extremely far from impressive. That's the exact same budget as Jurassic World, with 1/4th the gross. And blaming Endgame and calling it "the worst possible time" is a stretch when Endgame had pulled in most of its final gross already and you're talking about wildly different movies.
Considering that the typical marketing budget is usually 1.5 or 2x the production budget, and that WB wouldn't receive all of the $430 million gross, is it safe to assume that the movie either barely broke even or lost money? In that case, it's no wonder why they aren't interested in a sequel. Even with the Pokémon IP, at best they broke even.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Just a trilogy following Ashes journey to the Elite 4. Live action, og characters. Nostalgia + a good cast director. Billion each movie easy.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on Sonic being a lot better, didn't see that coming, but that's what happens when Detective Pikachu has a truly horrible 3rd act

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed on Sonic being a lot better, didn't see that coming, but that's what happens when Detective Pikachu has a truly horrible 3rd act

They're both around the same level of mediocre kids movies which pander to nostalgic adults, but Sonic legitimately annoyed me. They basically took the worst traits of cartoon Sonic and amplified how obnoxious he can be while trying to present him more like a lost child.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe not detective pikachu, but more live action Pokémon is absolutely happening

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine without a direct "detective" sequel but I would like another live action movie in that same visual style and tone.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering how big Pokemon is I wonder why the movie didnt do better. I -think- it's because it's a spin-off rather than it having the traditional "Beat gym leaders -> fight the elite four" formula but I don't see how that would be done in movie form anyway.

I really did enjoy the movie though, the visuals were on point