• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kass

Oct 27, 2017
It has more role playing than a lot of games that are called "RPG" simply because they have a bunch of numbers that go up. It also shows how meaningless the label has become.
I agree, RPG has kinda become synonymous with levelling sysyems, skill trees and gear upgrades, which feels reductive.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
but how does it compare to the ultimate RPG, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, kinda dumb at first but RPG's don't neccesserily mean leveling systems and loot. In fact, a lot of non RPG's adopted them as mechanics, but it doesn't make them RPG's.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Cool, even though it definetly is an adventure or interactive story game. I guess given the breath of choice someone could argue it being role playing too but it doesn't mesh well with the other entries in the genre.
I can see that too but the thing is that all these narrative/choice based games on the one hand give you a lot pf freedom in terms of choices like D&D does BUT on the other hand they don't let you create your own character, all the characters are fixed.
So even looking it that way it's still a stretch saying Detroit is an RPG and I'm saying this as a huge Detroit fan :P

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Tony Hawk on the other hand does not have any choices for you to make and doesn't even follow a story...I think xD?
But the character creator is always an RPG thing even if the game itself is not an RPG.

The timeline says otherwise
DCvHSBr.png

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... RPG has a very specific connotation in gaming. Regardless of what it means literally. This is kind of silly but it's just an awards show so wutevs

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think one can argue it is an rpg, though it doesn't have all the trappings of a traditional rpg game (IE character stats/attributes, gain exp, etc).

However from the perspective of an actual rpg where your can take any of the characters and then choose how you want them to act out their roles, what choices they make, all of t hat in turn (to me) is why it can be considered an rpg.

I mean lets take a step back and look at where rpgs came from, D&D, one of the main points of rpgs like D&D and others is just that, that you create a character and then you choose what you want them to do. The main difference here being that it's not set up against you choosing your characters "Stats" and things like that.

On the flip side one could argue it's more of an rpg then some other "rpg" games are that are more linear in nature and don't allow you to really make choices when it comes to the story and things like that (Horizon, Monster Hunter World, God of War, etc).
Rpgs as tabletops arent equivalent to rpgs as video games

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I heard this awards show was a massive disaster which is a shame because the more encouragement Australian game development gets, the better.

I mean they couldn't even get judges who know what a RPG is. The award should have gone to Tetris Effect.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Rpgs as tabletops arent equivalent to rpgs as video games

That's literally where rpgs as video games came from.

Rpg's are not defined by their "combat" and such, it's a very open genre that can have many variations within it.

I mean you got great turn-based rpgs with deep character choices/dialogue, then you have real-time combat games w/choices (IE Mass effect), on the flip sid you have rpgs that offer little choice to you as a player on how the story or character you're playing unfolds (IE God of War). You can build up his skills and get loot, but the story and things are linear and offer you really no room to make Kratos play how you, as a player, want in regards to that.

So if those games are rpgs, why then can Detroit not be considered an rpg?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't have stats, but it does choice and consequence better than a lot of actual RPGs. Certainly closer to RPG than Action/Adventure, and it doesn't fit into any of the other categories they had.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Makes sense. You make choices that define your character directly and there are many different endings. It's more of an rpg than Horizon:ZD or GoW.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently this game has 40 DIFFERENT ENDINGS. Is there any RPG in the history of video games that has so much choices and different outcomes available?

Also what constitutes an rpg anyway? Many diehards don't consider many generally accepted rpg's even rpg's because they're linear games that don't give you choice/different outcomes based on how you play, yet here is a game that probably has more than their favorite "real" rpg's.

Would it be a really real rpg if it had stats, skill trees and magic?

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Finally someone uses the definition correctly. It's DnD without combat, it's more an RPG than most RPGs

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
How so? I must have been missing all these other games that let you take a character and then make a ton of different choices on what they do and how the story changes based on these actions like Detroit does.

Most games outside of Detroit or rpgs do not let you make "choices" like it does, and certainly don't let you make ones that constantly alter how the story and characters unfold based on said choices that you have those characters make.
So telltale's games are rpgs but the witcher 3 isn't?

Deleted member 47318

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 1, 2018
I mean, it fits the literal definition of role playing much more closely than what most games which casuals refer to as "RPGs" nowadays fit the traits of the actual genre. Just the presence of an experience system, some ignorable stats and maybe even a skilltree does not turn what it clearly an action-adventure game into an RPG.

Hell, given the non-linearity involved with the branching choices Detroit might actually be closer to the WRPG genre as well.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This awful dumpster fire winning anything is ridiculous to begin with, but RPG is just that extra zing that makes the punchline sing.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
So telltale's games are rpgs but the witcher 3 isn't?

Where did I say The Witcher 3 wasn't?

Also yes, one could argue games from Telltale like TWD and others that let you make choices and have dialogue through which you can make choices also would lend it to being considered rpg in nature. A traditional rpg? no, but certainly rpg elements that could be considered in the same way Detroit: BH is being considered an rpg for this award.

I mean lets take for example a game like Undertale, which is considered an rpg, yet it has many elements that make up adventure games and such in regards to puzzles and other elements.

Then there is the combat in it, which doesn't really play like your normal rpg combat either.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
THEY don't know what an RPG is only WE know.
Except literally every connotation of the term outside of videogame has a large part in playing a role of character and making choices that alter the story and way interactions work with the player.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I always felt like the crux of an RPG was that your character's knowledge, skills, etc make the impact moreso than the player's. Having lots of choices isn't core to it, but is nice. Having a lot of loot and skills and other ways to develop a character is good too. But in the end, I find it useful to largely draw the line between winning because *I* am good at the game versus winning because *the character* has gotten stronger and more capable.

Detroit is a choose-your-own-adventure book in game form, not an RPG.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean lets take a step back and look at where rpgs came from, D&D, one of the main points of rpgs like D&D and others is just that, that you create a character and then you choose what you want them to do.

The differentiating point between D&D and its wargame/skirmish predecessors was that the role-playing game had the player develop and fight with a single character in place of an entire army/platoon. Choice came into it to some degree, as you could choose to pick a lock or bash in the door, but interactive storytelling was pretty far from Gygax & co's interest.

We really shouldn't rely on tabletop games to define video game terms.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Detroit is not and it having decision making doesn't make it an rpg. Decision making is an aspect of an rpg, but it doesn't make it one. There's clearly a difference if you compare it to something like Dragon Age:Origins where in addition to choices, you can define every aspect of them down to their name, gender, background, race, class, etc.

Last edited:

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Where did I say The Witcher 3 wasn't?

Also yes, one could argue games from Telltale like TWD and others that let you make choices and have dialogue through which you can make choices also would lend it to being considered rpg in nature. A traditional rpg? no, but certainly rpg elements that could be considered in the same way Detroit: BH is being considered an rpg for this award.

I mean lets take for example a game like Undertale, which is considered an rpg, yet it has many elements that make up adventure games and such in regards to puzzles and other elements.

Then there is the combat in it, which doesn't really play like your normal rpg combat either.
Tw3 was an example dude and the discussion are more complex than this

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
People say "all games are RPGs if Detroit is one" but how about the traditional meaning that an RPG has leveling, skills, crafting, customization etc.? Few games offer as many impactful choices to role-play as Detroit does but virtually any action-adventure game can be called RPG by the stats etc. definition.

The old definition of RPG is no longer meaningful when Dead Rising by all definitions can be called one. That series has stats, leveling, skills, customization, crafting, healing items, upgrades etc. Saying Detroit is an RPG is no worse.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Apparently this game has 40 DIFFERENT ENDINGS. Is there any RPG in the history of video games that has so much choices and different outcomes available?
Well...
Granted that one will inevitably draw ire from 'not true rpg' crowd as well.

Would it be a really real rpg if it had stats, skill trees and magic?
I think people just like to associate genres to mechanics, even though its never been the perfect mapping. Until Dawn is every bit the survival horror Silent Hill 2 is(actually more, since survival is never really in question in sh2) but good luck marketting it as such.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It's certainly more of a role playing game than Monster Hunter World, which won best RPG at the Game Awards.
Hold on, at least MHW has a character creator and an inventory screen.

Is there a fixed definition of what an RPG is?
It's kind of split into two genres, but I think most would agree that a WRPG is a game that attempts to create a video game experience resembling D&D (or any other tabletop RPG) while a JRPG is a game that takes more cues from Dragon Quest 1.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RPG's aren't known for having countless endings, that's a visual novel thing, so this question is pretty pointless.