• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
(By the way, if you are going to argue about RPG definitions by bringing in D&D, you also must acknowledge that Detroit is closer to Adventure definitions and CYOA books - that also come from RPGs, sure - than tabletop RPGs)

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
wut36ch2.jpg

Can I correct Wikipedia and cite the AGAs as a reference?

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
There was and then people started arguing that the role-playing in RPG needs to be taken as simplistic as possible, so they would argue that if you play a role it is a role-playing game. Some serious, some trolling. Add in people who tried to find ways in which Fallout 2 was an RPG but Final Fantasy 7 was not and we get this cluster fuck of muddy as shit definitions of RPG.

People like to over complicate things. RPGs are about using character stats to define your character. If your stats say you can't hit worth a damn then guess what you can't be a fighter. If your stats say you can't talk very well then good luck talking your way our of a fight and so on. In a good RPG the character attributes define the limits on what the character you are playing is capable of. Some games give you the freedom to create those characters and some give you predefined characters, but most of the good ones follow that simple rule.

So going by your definition then Zelda games are not rpgs either.

clickKunst

Dec 18, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Australia had a vision - what if we created a video game awards show where the winners are decided by people who don't really play video games?

And I'll be damned, the bastards actually pulled it off.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
It has more role playing than a lot of games that are called "RPG" simply because they have a bunch of numbers that go up. It also shows how meaningless the label has become.
This. As somebody who grew up on pen and paper roleplaying games, the numbers and systems were a means to an end, not the entire point.

Detroit presents a lot of choices for the player to make, and many are far more about defining "who" the player character really is. Not how much XP and time they've invested in health points and dexterity and whatever the fuck a person's level is.

Last edited:

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dems fightin words.

Do you consider Horizon: ZD an rpg then? Where is this magical threshold where an rpg is an "rpg" and then it isn't defined by? Having skills? If so then that would mean the new Tomb Raider games are rpg's if you go by that.
haven't played Horizon yet

but I have never thought of Zelda as RPGs to myself ever since I played the original one in 1986

(I have not really played a Zelda since Ocarina though. I bought WW but absolutely despised the graphics/art so I returned it literally the day after launch. I bought Twilight Princess but only played like 30-60 minutes and never got past the tutorial)

and Tomb Raiders are not RPGs either, I place them in the same category as Zeldas

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
haven't played Horizon yet

but I have never thought of Zelda as RPGs to myself ever since I played the original one in 1986

(I have not really played a Zelda since Ocarina though. I bought WW but absolutely despised the graphics/art so I returned it literally the day after launch. I bought Twilight Princess but only played like 30-60 minutes and never got past the tutorial)

and Tomb Raiders are not RPGs either, I place them in the same category as Zeldas

Ok, so if you don't definite an rpg by having skill tree's and such, nor by having choices and ways for your character to alter the story and how it unfolds, then what makes an rpg to you?

Does the Zelda games not being considered RPGs make them worse some how?

lol no, just Zelda being an rpg or not has been a heated debate since the series started, lots of people get bent out of shape over it being an rpg or not being an rpg (I don't really care how anyone sees it personally).

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
If choices were all that matter most visual novels would be consider RPGS because they have many different endings depending on what you pick. I can end up with the tsundere girl, or maybe the hot teacher, or maybe be murder by the childhood friend because I decided to go the harem route, or maybe end up jailed up in a cage because the yandere girl doesn't want me interacting with other girls anymore.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, so if you don't definite an rpg by having skill tree's and such, nor by having choices and ways for your character to alter the story and how it unfolds, then what makes an rpg to you?

The way i see it a game is an RPG when the stats play a major role in determining the outcome compared to player skill. I don't care how skillful you might be as a player if your character doesn't have the charisma he can't smooth talk his way into places, if he doesn't have the strength he can't fight, if he doesn't have the lockpicking skill he ain't picking that lock, and so on. We can even go back to more straight forward RPGs and say if you character is level 1 he ain't beating that end boss.

People like to say that the stats ain't the point and point to their pen and paper days and maybe they are right but the stats and the rules around them make it a game. If you take out those than you are just a bunch of people doing improv, which might be fun but the stats and the system around them make the game part of Role-Playing Game.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The way i see it a game is an RPG when the stats play a major role in determining the outcome compared to player skill. I don't care how skillful you might be as a player if your character doesn't have the charisma he can't smooth talk his way into places, if he doesn't have the strength he can't fight, if he doesn't have the lockpicking skill he ain't picking that lock, and so on. We can even go back to more straight forward RPGs and say if you character is level 1 he ain't beating that end boss.

People like to say that the stats ain't the point and point to their pen and paper days and they are right but the stats and the rules around them make it a game. If you take out those than you are just a bunch of people doing improv, which might be fun but the stats and the system around them make the game part of Role-Playing Game.

So going by that, then Mass Effect wouldn't be an rpg according to you?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
So going by that, then Mass Effect wouldn't be an rpg according to you?

Well since you are asking me, from what I remember of the first one it would easily fall under RPG in my book. As stuff like hacking for example is tied to skills if I remember right. As for the other games, people might be able to argue about as Bioware decoupled skills from stuff. I haven't actually given much thought to if the latter games are RPGs or not. They kind of got grandfathered in in my mind. Interesting.

Anyway I said people because the days of arguing what game is or isn't an RPG are behind me. Mostly because it is a waste of time and people go out of there way to find edge cases for something that would otherwise work 99 percent of the time. That definition I gave you is for my personal use of what I consider to be an RPG and if I ever make an RPG it is the standard I would use.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no. First off, that's not what an RPG is, and secondly, by that definition Detroit is the best game you could think of?

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
So, these awards are all fan voted, but the real issue seems to be that the people running the show made the decision to not vet the games/publications/People that were nominated, choosing instead to just let games that don't fit win awards.

Detroit isn't an RPG, Octopath shouldn't be in the handheld section, Hollow Knight is a 2017 game (regardless of 2018 ports) and the winner of publication of the year was involved in the creation and sponsorship of the awards.

As an Australian, it's a bit frustrating to see this being the awards show that presents itself as representative of people who play games here.
The big red flag for the whole event for me is Fallout 76, arguably the most critically panned AAA game of 2018, getting voted game of the year, in an event that is partnered with Bethesda, organised by a company that does marketing for Bethesda in Australia. Like that doesn't seem suss at all.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I m just happy it won something .the game got hate for no reason.its amazing and my GOTY. A touching journey to remember for years to come .

Congrats to the team