• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Folks who are predicting lower scores (79 and below)--did you play the demo? If so, what from the demo leads you to think that?

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
I'm going to go with 83-85.

The demo was legitimately thrilling and the voice acting and presentation were pretty great. The clips from the sequence with Kara look just as good. There is some good buzz about the first few hours of the game, so I bet the reviews will be pretty solid.

Spazgadget

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not terribly concerned about a short turnaround on reviews for this game - sometimes it means the game is garbage, but that's not the sense I'm getting for Detroit.

I think it's difficult for a game like this to really kill it in metacritic scores, mainly because some percentage of gamers just genuinely don't like this kind of game. Some outlets are likely to give it a 4 because "it's just a choose your own adventure", regardless of how great an example of a branching narrative story-based game it is.

Personally, I love the genre, and have it pre-ordered. If my experience with QD games is any indication, I'll probably love it, warts and all.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
No way it's above 79 unless it has really good writing, which doesn't happen often with David Cage.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda rare for PS4 exclusive games to be under embargo 24H before the release, right ?
No, reviews come out at different times, it all depends on the game. Sometimes, game cannot be reviewed earlier because Sony has to wait for gold master, or patches. IMO, this is also very easily spoilable game, and many people online want to attack QD games in any way they can. Just look at any thread here or on old forum.

I think it is quite fractionating how Corey somehow slowly managed to push community into protecting users from spoilers. It did help that every single reviewer begged everyone to stay unspoiled, even me.

Oct 25, 2017
I would guess something like 82-83. I think people will in general appreciate the visuals, the storyline and structure of it all (the VN-like event graph will probably find some praise), but I think a lot will come down on it for effectively not really doing anything innovative on a micro level with the gameplay itself: it's still quicktime events, essentially, and that's not going to fly for some people hoping for a more active participation in the action.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
This is a game I know I will like no matter the scores (I mean unless it turns out to be the worst game ever or something lol - which based on what was shown so far and the demo available I am sure is not the case).

Still, I can see it scoring in the 75-80 range. It will still be very similar to the other QD games and I am sure the "more of the same" complain will come up eventually. Also, its appeal seems limited to a more niche audience that really likes heavily story driven games, making it hard to impress most of the reviewers that already dislike these kinds of experiences (that already happened with Beyond Two Souls actually).

Excited to play it nonetheless. I am confident it will be a good game.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That tech demo still gives me chills.

When she yells "I'm scared"
giphy.gif

Yeah man when she says I'm scared all I can see if the guy on the other end of the mike wide-eyed, chainsmoking like a motherfucker at the Idea of the andriod being scared before shipping her off unchanged.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I could swear he wasnt the main writter? I think I read in a thread here on Era
he's not the main writer technically, but it's his script primarily

he handed over the direction and editing of the script to another person

they could technically add whatever they want and cut out whatever they want

BuBu Jenkins

Oct 27, 2017
80-85, this seems like QD's most ambitious game yet and a vast improvement over the mediocre Beyond Two Souls

KrigareN-

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I think it has more to do with the type of game it is than Sony's confidence.

I don't think this genre is 90</= material.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
This industry needs to move away from review embargo's, free the press!
Movies and books also have review embargos [and dates vary widely, from launch day to few weeks before release]. This has to remain this way because not everyone gets the product at the same time, and it is fair to offer everyone a same chance to attract fans to their game coverage.

In a extreme case, I got MGSV review code one month after the game came out [and I'm a massive MGS fan, so I patiently waited and endured my torment].

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Pretty confident about this. Gonna be their best reviewed game, but won't set the world on fire like GOW

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Hell no, if the game gets less than 90 on Metacritic I'll record a video of me eating this post printed on a paper.

It's QD's most ambitious game, and remember that Heavy Rain got 87 on Metacritic. Fully expect it to review well. You guys are crazy.

Those type of games never get 90 meta. let's just hope it's good.

BluePhoneBox

Oct 30, 2017
78 - 81.
Reviewers will criticize the game for being "too short" for a $60 game, and for too many of the decisions points feeling like they don't really matter to the way the story unfolds.

Regardless, I will almost certainly pre-order it. :D

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like people are more able to see the bullshit in David Cage's games these days, so I expect the score to be more representative of the game's quality than those of his previous games.