• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
This doesn't sound that far away from what Splinter Cell was doing with it's PvE multiplayer. I'd give it a shot.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I love immersive sim games for many different reasons and one huge one is that they are singleplayer only and this helps those games tremendously
What I don't want a immersive sim game to be is being multiplayer so yeah, I'am not a fan of this future of that genre of games
In my mind, the next step is for them to be open-world because right now they are all basically hub-based ..
And Fallout New Vegas is mostly a RPG with some immersive sim elements and Cyberpunk 2077 has immersive sim style quest, mission and environment like design that offers many playstyles, ways and paths but still is mostly a open-world RPG..
So yeah, give me some story driven open-world immersive sim games like, right now please :)

fade

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Spector to me has earned at least a try no matter my apprehension level.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, that's an Extraction Shooter, not an ImSim.

I mean, it could be good, but it feels like OtherSide is in "Please Investors and keep people on the payroll"-mode now. I mean, I'd imagine Spector would love to be focused on the Art side of things right now, but after System Shock 3 got lolnope'd by every publisher they approached...

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I actually agree.

Game sounds cool. Like invasions in Souls but with more thought put into it besides just lagstabbing people trying to coop.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Ok where is my System Shock 3 ?

They sold their license for it to Tencent when they were unable to secure backing from any other publisher, and then shortly after Tencent booted them off development of it, and presumably Tencent shitcanned everything when it became apparent it couldn't be GaaS'd-Up combined with it being NightDive that actually owned the IP.

I remember one of Tencent's PR accounts going-loud about "We own System Shock now!" only for them to retract the statement when NightDive gave them a gentle tap on the shoulder to inform them of the contrary.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They sold their license for it to Tencent when they were unable to secure backing from any other publisher, and then shortly after Tencent booted them off development of it, and presumably Tencent shitcanned everything when it became apparent it couldn't be GaaS'd-Up combined with it being NightDive that actually owned the IP.

I remember one of Tencent's PR accounts going-loud about "We own System Shock now!" only for them to retract the statement when NightDive gave them a gentle tap on the shoulder to inform them of the contrary.

I didn't know this. This sucks.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
That's one way to instantly make me lose interest in whatever you're making.

CosmicGP

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
WAT? The next step for immersive sims is... multiplayer?

What about, open worlds with actual simulations and physics or whatever behind everything like the grass, wind, water, etc? NPCs including animals with their own "AI" routines, etc?

Sounds more like a side step to me.

Their game would sound a lot more interesting to me if they let players pose as one of the myriad NPCs they're talking about, instead of all of them being the "main character". Of course that sounds way too hard to do.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I'm willing to eat crow, but I 100% believe he won't be able to pull this off properly. It either won't be an immersive sim, or it will be a disaster. I simply don't think he has the funding/time to be able to iterate on this to the point of solving the obvious design choices that will suck the fun out of the game.
The issue with adding multiplayer is that the systems that you create can now be a negative very quickly based on how the other player decides to play. Multiplayer people want to win, and fair-play is rarely part of the equation.

If this was Co-op though... I would be interested again.

Sha_96

Jan 22, 2019
Please stop wasting resources into multiplayer games that will die within months of release :(

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
This just sounds like pr speak to sell his current game and not what an "actual" next step for the genre would be.

Bengraven