War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
I dont remember a single thing about the game, I have to replay it with all DLC

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Loved HR but never did get around to this until a couple years ago on Playstation and was very impressed. Exploring Prague was interesting and there were lots of neat secrets and sidequests to work through.

It did occasionally get irritating with the backtracking and constant patrols, but you get abilities to help mitigate that eventually somewhat(still a relative constant as you zigzag districts constantly). Also some abilities felt a bit OP where at times even on highest difficulty I could stealthily deal with most anything, but I did pretty much max out everything by doing all side content, so my power level was kind of expected I guess. Still, I did always feel like I was engaging with the tools and abilities to bypass various patrols without just clicking a "win" button either. I had to always be mindful of what I was doing, so credit is due.

Great game and an engaging story and setup. Highly recommended and I still need to play the DLC stuff which I hear is as-good if not even stronger than the core game.

Jul 18, 2020
I really, REALLY love this game and I lump it together with Prey because both are sci-fi masterpieces that everyone should play. Finish Jensen's story!

OP
OP
Gonzito

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
Why was this game considered a huge disappointment at the time? I loved HR but I remember the general sentiment was that the sequel was not worth playing. Was it all the shitty pre-release dlc and pre order stuff that soured people? I remember that was a big deal at the time lol

it was because of the microtransactions that square enix implemented in the last moment along with cut content, but the game was always amazing and these microtransacitions actually had zero impact in the game because you could get all these items in the game by playing, but you know internet loves negativity and many people didnt buy the game because of it

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I think the poor sales of MD killed this series, not SE.

I liked MD but I didnt love it. It's a fun immersive sim but not a remarkable one imo.

CosmiKu

Jul 9, 2023
Square Enix mismanaged this series, and now it's suffering a fate worse than death: Embracer has it.

If we even get a sequel, I expect quality to nosedive.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It's the only game I can think off that had balls to put the biggest story point/twist as a completely missable and optional thing most players won't ever notice.

bHbYpB5.jpg

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
I remember the reaction to Human Revolution being "holy crap, this team came from nowhere and made a proper Deus Ex game, what a miracle". Then they did it again with Mankind Divided, and people were like, "Yeah, but it's just another Deus Ex game". As if we were drowning in them.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The game was so good and I liked that the plot was condensed and not a clusterfuck like HR.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE did I mention LOVE this fucking game!

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! It hurts it couldn't cook for longer and it seems we'll never get the conclusion to Jensen's story. Eidos Montreal finally nailed the Deus Ex gameplay in this game. The level design is just so fucking PHENOMENAL and the Palisade Bank Heist and the DLC Heist mission are just so goddamn amazing it's incredible.

And more importantly, as touched on above, they actually commit to a non-lethal playstyle. You can beat the game without killing a single person. And no bullshit, oh I tranquilized them and so they're knocked out as opposed to shooting them. Yes, that exists as an option. But what I mean is you can get through the majority of the game as an actual Ghost, meaning never knocking out a single guard, never getting seen. A complete ghost. I cannot tell you how fucking satisfying that feels. And the limited boss encounter also sticks to this multi-facted design where a stealth build can either incapacitate or just talk down even the main bosses; preserving you playstyle.

Why can't I get this in other games?!?!

OP
OP
Gonzito

Gonzito

Banned
Apr 5, 2022
Spain
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE did I mention LOVE this fucking game!

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! It hurts it couldn't cook for longer and it seems we'll never get the conclusion to Jensen's story. Eidos Montreal finally nailed the Deus Ex gameplay in this game. The level design is just so fucking PHENOMENAL and the Palisade Bank Heist and the DLC Heist mission are just so goddamn amazing it's incredible.

And more importantly, as touched on above, they actually commit to a non-lethal playstyle. You can beat the game without killing a single person. And no bullshit, oh I tranquilized them and so they're knocked out as opposed to shooting them. Yes, that exists as an option. But what I mean is you can get through the majority of the game as an actual Ghost, meaning never knocking out a single guard, never getting seen. A complete ghost. I cannot tell you how fucking satisfying that feels. And the limited boss encounter also sticks to this multi-facted design where a stealth build can either incapacitate or just talk down even the main bosses; preserving you playstyle.

Why can't I get this in other games?!?!
Man I love to see so much love for this game in resetera, this is great

Sazed

Aug 21, 2023
Mechanically and aesthetically it's fantastic, and what levels are there are well-designed, but all the complaints about the narrative being cut short really hold water. Last time I played I was in shock by how the majority of the game and most of its memorable moments all exist within the side quests. A lot of the main quest is "fly here and talk to someone" with very little of the more standard infiltration levels that make up the previous game. I think by the time you reach the halfway point in MD you've only really infiltrated like one large enemy base, where as by the same point in the HR you had done it like 4 times by then.

The strange thing is that HR isn't even really a longer game? Like they take the same amount of time to play but I just feel like I'm doing sooo much more when I play HR.

It's such a shame because the game really does play so well. You just want more of it so you can start using your abilities more and then it ends.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
Mankind Divided is fantastic. I wish Human Revolution was on PS4/PS5 'cause I would've replayed both by now

UltraBoom

Sep 17, 2023
Does it work properly on PS5 now ? I tried to get into it twice and it crashed both times.

Has anyone managed to play it without problems on PS5 ?

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
I loooooooooooved this game. My PC struggled to hit 1080p/60 at the time so I need to make time to revisit this with my 4090. Any idea if it supports ultrawide?

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
It also has some of the most insanely detailed worlds I've ever seen in a game.

Still better than a lot of similar games today.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It also has some of the most insanely detailed worlds I've ever seen in a game.

Still better than a lot of similar games today.

For comparison, I really enjoy Cyberpunk's narrative. But I really don't see the actual benefit for Night City being so massive and a GTA sorta copy. The "small" but densely packed hub design that Deus Ex goes for is just FAR more rewarding and memorable. Like, who cares and remembers all the empty space and highways in Night City? Whereas I know every inch of Prague like the back of my hand and every vendor and person that exists within it.

Apr 23, 2019
I'm glad the sentiment has improved over time, the game's not perfect but I felt it didn't get its due at release. A massive achievement for immersive sim design and I'd sacrifice just about any upcoming game for a follow-up.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Why was this game considered a huge disappointment at the time? I loved HR but I remember the general sentiment was that the sequel was not worth playing. Was it all the shitty pre-release dlc and pre order stuff that soured people? I remember that was a big deal at the time lol
Because the game's story feels like part one of a bigger whole and has no satisfying conclusion. The game's story is building towards Rab'iah and we never even get there.

That's not to say Mankind Divided is a bad game, far from it, but it does explain some of the negative sentiments at launch. I think people now can appreciate the game for what it is more than dislike it for what it isn't.

Jun 5, 2023
Loved this series and the second game was pretty good. Adam Jenson is a pretty cool character as well. This Sam Coe shut ain't it.

Fugo

Nov 16, 2017
Agree with the OP. Executive meddling cut the plot in half, but gameplay and atmosphere are awesome. Played it 3 times through!

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
I know the hub map gets a lot of praise, but I thought it was almost too dense. The first time I played the game, I played it like any other immersive sim and compulsively searched every nook and cranny, broke into every apartment, read all the emails on every terminal, crawled around in every ventilation duct… and eventually started to find it all very aimless and boring. There's a lot of stuff to see but not much of it is all that compelling. It made me appreciate how purposeful the maps felt in the first two games by comparison.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Great game, incredible music, plays well, just overall a great improvement over the first game. A real shame that the story just sort of ends after what feels like the conclusion to act 2, though.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
The writing is a complete and total mess (inexcusably so in spots) and the game feels like it ends at the beginning of its third act, but Prague is one of my favorite immersive sim hubs ever. It's so densely detailed and full of connecting paths and quests, it's wonderful.

Bizkit Krueger