• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing. A store with a spyware included for free. Great competition. On top of buying crowdfunded games now they are actually even breaking the laws, at least in EU. Well done! Truly the competition the gaming needed.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
Shocking news that Tencent's game client would collect your data. EGS, Tim Sweeney, and Sergei can all go suck a lemon.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
404 the usual Epic 'supporters' not found.

This is clearly a GDPR violation. But knowing Epic, I bet they know it and ready to pay the fine. It's nothing for them.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
If it's important data that users don't want easily accessed or shared by 3rd parties then my expectations are not weird at all.

That data is encrypted on their servers. But they leave it decrypted on your personal disk. I don't know why but maybe because they don't want to decrypt file every time they write something in it.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
If it's important data that users don't want easily accessed or shared by 3rd parties then my expectations are not weird at all.
It's not that this data is particularly important and Valve should guard it - But it's important when it's being accessed without my authorization. The fact I didn't buy a guard dog, doesn't mean you're welcome to my house if you can break my lock.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Ok finally found what I was talking in my post:

fJ9dyaMR9XJjlChDlY4_Go07iHXse7Pi-acBL6oz61g.png

Epic stay classy.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018

Yet they have been caught scraping way more than what he suggests and they have preemptively without permission lifted these things from apps that aren't even their own.

That was the exact response I expected from them as well to be honest, shady as hell.

Also, someone asked some very valid questions to that post (which I know for sure Epic will not address.)

1. Why does EGS make copies of Steam files (encrypted or not) without requesting explicit consent from users? "We can import your Steam friends" is not the same as "We will make copies of your Steam data from your local computer". Not to mention that from your explanation it appears this file is copied before the user chooses to import friends, and even if they do not choose to import friends at all. Other services offering linking to Steam use official APIs via Web browser - why do Epic not do this?

2. How did Epic collect the data enabling them to state the percentage of Fortnite players who use Steam? Is it through the above documented silent "process enumeration" method? If not, how did Epic obtain this data, and did they obtain user consent to do so?

3. Steam asks explicit permission before conducting their hardware survey, and before sending any of the collected data to Valve. Why do Epic not ask for user granted permission before collecting this data? This would appear to be a violation of GDPR regulations in Europe.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Didnt they know that over half of users of Epic Store didnt have steam installed? its obvious they are collecting data

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Ok finally found what I was talking in my post:

fJ9dyaMR9XJjlChDlY4_Go07iHXse7Pi-acBL6oz61g.png

Epic stay classy.
This has been addressed since the first week of EGS launch in here. People simply never really pay attention to it.

I'm guessing that's how they know that "Half of Fortnite players don't have Steam installed"

https://www.pcgamesn.com/steam-users-fortnite
And people were already aware back then.
davidsstrail • 2 months ago
So is the Epic Games Launcher collecting information on what programs people run then?

Indeed. And that kind of penalty is probably nothing for Epic with Fortnite money.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
It's not that this data is particularly important and Valve should guard it - But it's important when it's being accessed without my authorization. The fact I didn't buy a guard dog, doesn't mean you're welcome to my house if you can break my lock.

So you're okay with something being very easy to steal, but mad when it gets stolen. I get it I guess. It's like some kid thinking his bike will be okay sitting on the lawn, while they run to the bathroom for 2 seconds, and then being extremely disappointed when it gets stolen. I'd rather Valve just not leave this stuff on their front lawn I guess.

How many other people are scraping this data that you don't know about? And do you care? Or only if they are caught doing it?

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
So you're okay with something being very easy to steal, but mad when it gets stolen. I get it I guess. It's like some kid thinking his bike will be okay sitting on the lawn while they run to the bathroom for 2 seconds, and then being extremely disappointed when it gets stolen. I guess I'd rather Valve not leave this stuff on their front lawn I guess. How many other people are scraping this data you don't know about? And do you care?

So you say you aren't victim blaming.

So why don't you stop doing the sterotypicsl victim blaming?

You literally have not stopped doing it since you arrived 12 pages ago,

You haven't even once mentioned the topic on hand OR the Epic update.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait Jim video for this.

Is the type of corporate business behaviour that he surely can't leave at the table.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If it's important data that users don't want easily accessed or shared by 3rd parties then my expectations are not weird at all. "But everyone does it this way" isn't the response I expected here...
Presumably it is because apps don't wander out of their directory, especially apps as high profile as Epic. But yes, it should be encrypted to a degree though why it's not? Who knows.

Is the type of corporate business behaviour that he surely can't leave at the table.

He'll ignore it. He ignored everything else Epic in his rant about Steam moderation and curation.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
So you're okay with something being very easy to steal, but mad when it gets stolen. I get it I guess. It's like some kid thinking his bike will be okay sitting on the lawn while they run to the bathroom for 2 seconds, and then being extremely disappointed when it gets stolen. I guess I'd rather Valve not leave this stuff on their front lawn I guess.

How many other people are scraping this data that you don't know about? And do you care? Or only if they are caught doing it?
I mean... Wh... OK. Do you have all your data on your PC encrypted? Because I guess you're leaving it out on your lawn otherwise, it's as if you don't care that any program on your PC can just look at it and steal it.
Or do you expect from honest programs to not go around your My Documents folder making copies of whatever your have saved?

Kathartic

Alt-account
Banned
Mar 4, 2019
And i suspect they can use those data as a power move in "negotiations" with devs, right?

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
If it's important data that users don't want easily accessed or shared by 3rd parties then my expectations are not weird at all. "But everyone does it this way" isn't the response I expected here...

There is such a thing as "industry best practices guidelines" .
It is implied that any software you have knowingly put on your PC will not access another software's specific file directory without your permission and knowledge.

To follow your burglary analogy, to encrypt this non-sensitive (but valuable to competition) data would be akin to locking your bedroom every time your doorbell rang, just in case there's an armed robber there getting ready to knock you out- it's an extra precaution you would not reasonably be expected to have to take.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Original findings + Epic response

More than enough for Jim to make Jimquisition Special about Epic using EGS to breach trust of their users / clients, doing data privacy breaches and then using that mined data to "compete" etc.

Will he finally rake EGS for... anything?

Evon

Oct 25, 2017
Austria
So you're okay with something being very easy to steal, but mad when it gets stolen. I get it I guess. It's like some kid thinking his bike will be okay sitting on the lawn, while they run to the bathroom for 2 seconds, and then being extremely disappointed when it gets stolen. I'd rather Valve just not leave this stuff on their front lawn I guess.

Nobody should steal that kid's bike.

Nobody should scape personal data without my permission.

Just because people still do doesn't make it any less illegal. The problem is not the kid or me, it's the people stealing/scraping.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Same here, I only had the client installed in February 2018 when I played Fortnite for a bit. Since their snooping apparently only started in June or July 2018, I am not directly affected and can't report them. Otherwise I would. EU citizens affected by this should really report them to their national data protection authorities. They are the ones that can actually put pressure on Epic.

That sounds awful. I will see how long it takes them for my request. Legally they have to delete all data within a month and if they don't, I will certainly report their violation of the GDPR to my national data protection authority.

Well I live in the EU and they certainly didn't care about violating the law when I tried to shut down my account, I am tempted myself now to report them, I still have all the emails and dates and how long it took for them to close my account as well.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

He has a convenient blind spot for all the anti consumer stuff Epic has been pulling, despite being an obsessive hound when anyone else does it. He makes a lot of money from shitting on Steam, so shitting on a store that's so anti-steam might be cognitive dissonance for him, and he's propped up the EGS just to keep shitting on steam.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
So you say you aren't victim blaming.

So why don't you stop doing the sterotypicsl victim blaming?

You literally have not stopped doing it since you arrived 12 pages ago,

You haven't even once mentioned the topic on hand OR the Epic update.

How is this victim blaming again? The reality is people steal shit. Telling Valve to make it harder for their customer's information to be stolen is what then? Telling people to be careful because of reality is what exactly? Victim blaming, apparently...

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not a lawyer. I would like to ask a general question. Isn't it very common that lot of service providers that use your information have privacy and data collection policies that include items like this? Like isn't this tame compared to the kind of information Google or Microsoft are ripping out of your machines at any given moment?

Again, I only glanced at the Wikipedia article for the GDPR. It seems like as long as it disclosed to you that personal data is being collected and you click that "I agree" button on any of these digital forms, then it is legal.

Privacy is important and Epic should release a more detailed explanation of their processes and intent, but I don't see why the ire is so concentrated?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
goddamn epic, the hell are you doing

RIP any goodwill they built up recently
He has a convenient blind spot for all the anti consumer stuff Epic has been pulling, despite being an obsessive hound when anyone else does it. He makes a lot of money from shitting on Steam, so shitting on a store that's so anti-steam might be cognitive dissonance for him, and he's propped up the EGS just to keep shitting on steam.
fwiw he said the Metro moneyhat stuff was scummy

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a violation of the very basis of the GDPR, that any company must disclose in full the data it's collecting and make the user agree to it before doing so. This is not holding up more than five minutes in front of a court.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yikes, pretty happy I refused to install EGS. I can honestly say I expected something like this which is exactly why I haven't and never will.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Again, I only glanced at the Wikipedia article for the GDPR. It seems like as long as it disclosed to you that personal data is being collected and you click that "I agree" button on any of these digital forms, then it is legal.

Privacy is important and Epic should release a more detailed explanation of their processes and intent, but I don't see why the ire is so concentrated?

They harvest and mine your Steam data did you agree to it or not.

That alone violates GDPR.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Also if they are just checking for our Friends list to merge accounts

Why is the temporary file so fucking big? 100~ mb is not needed to transfer my friends list.

Deleted member 5596

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not a lawyer. I would like to ask a general question. Isn't it very common that lot of service providers that use your information have privacy and data collection policies that include items like this? Like isn't this tame compared to the kind of information Google or Microsoft are ripping out of your machines at any given moment?

From what I'm aware regarding GDPR, data collection must be performed with our explicit consent for every piece of info. You can't put a large mambo jambo document with an "I agree" button at the end anymore. You have to clearly specify which data you are getting from the user and for what will be used for. Epic clearly violated this.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they make a preemptive copy also of the credit card data stored by other apps on your PC, just in case you want to add one to the store and save some time.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

They are specifically targeting information related to their direct competitor. Under false pretenses and without appropriate disclosure.

Edit: I am not willing to assess the legality of this, but it certainly appears at the very least immoral to me, given their answer.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Epic's behaviour really does seem to indicate that they firmly believe they have a mandate to do anything and everything required to succeed in toppling Steam, and the media appear content to encourage them.

PC Gamer, RPS et al, I look forward to your thorough, balanced and hard-hitting coverage of these shenanigans.

I do get the impression that some outlets hatred for Steam and their curation policy is making them turn a blind eye to what Epic is doing because they want a competitor at any cost.

It is very strange that these outlets aren't up in arms about this because honestly how Epic have been behaving is anti-consumer and really not good for PC gaming in general, now these things have also come to light it really is impossible to ignore unless you are actively trying to.

I would go as far to say that they have a responsibility to highlight what is going on and condemn it.