• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
delistedgames.com

Devil Engine delisted on Steam amid legal dispute among its creators [UPDATED]

[UPDATE 02/24/21] Devil Engine and its soundtrack are back on Steam. Protoculture Games LLC announced the game’s return on February 22nd. The Baileys (operating the alternate @Protocultgames …

I remember seeing the release of the flashy 2D shooter, Devil Engine, on Steam and Switch back in 2019, but I wasn't aware of the ongoing turmoil within Protoculture Games until it was recently delisted on Steam. Protoculture was originally involved in the public allegations of bad management and alleged sexual harassment from publisher Dangen Entertainment and its former CEO Ben Judd, in 2019. Having settled that dispute and "amicably" parted ways from the publisher in January of 2021, Protoculture took over handling the game on Steam and Switch.

But another battle has been raging between Devil Engine programmer and team lead, Tristan Chapman, and the duo behind the game's art and music, Thomas and Joseph Bailey. Much of this has moved into confidential legal territory but the gist of it is that the Baileys, and other developers involved in the game's creation, didn't approve of the "inflammatory and increasingly false accusations" that Chapman posted to the Protoculture Twitter account in the past. There have also been allegations that they were not justly compensated for sales of Devil Engine. All this has led the pair to leave Protoculture, taking ownership of the game's music and art with them, resulting in the game's delisting from Steam on February 3rd, and ongoing legal proceedings.

As it stands here in late February, the Baileys appear to be through negotiating, settling for nothing less than the art and music in Devil Engine being completely replaced. Meanwhile, the latest statement from Chapman and Protoculture Games LLC promises a "reasonable settlement with everyone involved" but also closes with a warning that they will "respond appropriately […] according to our legal rights" should anyone stand in the way of the game. This… could be a long fight.

For people who are unaware that anything was happening, check out the Dangen stealing from indie devs thread: https://www.resetera.com/threads/da...bbing-indie-devs-updates-threadmarked.154748/

Tomo815

Banned
Jul 19, 2019
What a complete farce. "the Baileys appear to be through negotiating, settling for nothing less than the art and music in Devil Engine being completely replaced". They must be pretty pissed off to have got to this point. Maybe they feel 'robbed' in some way.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Fuck... I was waiting for the expanded content. I hope they work this out soon and maybe find a pub that takes care of them better.
This is already far away removed from any publishers issues it seems, if Devil Engine is gonna come back in any way it seems to be with completely different art and music (if you can call it Devil Engine anymore at that point), it doesn't seem like the artists/musicians want anything to do with this anymore.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
This is already far away removed from any publishers issues it seems, if Devil Engine is gonna come back in any way it seems to be with completely different art and music (if you can call it Devil Engine anymore at that point), it doesn't seem like the artists/musicians want anything to do with this anymore.
I already edited my post. Thank you.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
This mess is enough to give anyone, in the thick of it, a headache at the very least.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all mixed up. So this isn't related to the older story of the publisher doing shady shit, but now its the lead programmer vs the art and music people? Wasn't there something about that at the end of the last thread too?

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm all mixed up. So this isn't related to the older story of the publisher doing shady shit, but now its the lead programmer vs the art and music people? Wasn't there something about that at the end of the last thread too?
There was, this is kinda related to the previous story about the publisher, in that the lead programmer was, according to the other people on the development team, constantly lying about the situation with the publisher and kept breaking NDAs regarding the situation.
www.resetera.com

Dangen Entertainment Robbing Indie Devs? (Updates Threadmarked)

EDIT for new page: What a mess.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sinoc posting his co-workers private emails on 4chan is messed up. I hope he loses the rights to the game. It's MikeZ all over again.

Oct 27, 2017
The drama over this game is insane. I know dangen had plenty of dirt under the hood but they also clearly had a mess on their hands with this one making for a shit tornado

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been following this for a few years and I am still confused. Is Tristan and Sinoc the same person?

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
It is truly a shame that one of the best games the SHMUP genre has ever witnessed is now only remembered because of bullshit like this.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
As shitty as Dangen/Ben Judd apparently are, Sinoc always came across as a piece of shit. Wouldn't surprise me if there was some fuckery going on with him.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still have no idea who to support in all of this shit, so I'm holding off purchasing on either Switch or PC, despite wanting it on both platforms. 😭 It looks and sounds so nice!

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
Only just finding out about this. Imagine getting out of a huge publisher beef ending up pissing off your own co-creators.

38a.jpg