• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nero: "Dante, I'm already a demon"
Dante: "Uhhhh we established that 10 years ago"

It's funny how "V has come to" seems to apply to DMC5 as well.

I feel like Nero vocally expressing his grudge against Vergil in this trailer already makes this a better tale of revenge than MGSV was. If they were doing this MGSV style it'd be Nico super mad at Vergil and Nero just kind of being an errand boy the whole game :P

GZ and TPP handle themes of revenge and phantom pain extremely well. From many angles and often going all out instead of pussy footing around.

DMC5 wishes it could be even half as good in that regard.

I would be so down for this. Thankfully, unlike The Phantom Pain's Kaz, we know Nero's not lost the rest of his personality.

You can still see some of the old Kaz with his burger experiments on Code Talker but other than that his personality shift does make sense both for his character and the story. And it connects directly into the MSX Metal Gear (?) where he called Big Boss a monster etc.

Last edited:

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017
TFW you realize Dante is pretty old and Nero is probably a millennial

tumblr_pa86u0eiNa1vycg1so1_1280.jpg

Is that Maximilian

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
You can still see some of the old Kaz with his burger experiments on Code Talker but other than that his personality shift does make sense both for his character and the story. And it connects directly into the MSX Metal Gear (?) where he called Big Boss a monster etc.
I was so relieved to get those burger tapes cause that was the only bit of the old Kaz that we got. And yeah, I know it made perfect sense given the story, but it still disappointed me that we only got to see that old side of him in one series of tapes. Would have been nice if we got a little more than that.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was so relieved to get those burger tapes cause that was the only bit of the old Kaz that we got. And yeah, I know it made perfect sense given the story, but it still disappointed me that we only got to see that old side of him in one series of tapes. Would have been nice if we got a little more than that.

True but honestly if you want more of that then just listen to the Peace Walker tapes again on youtube, there is a ton of that stuff in that game and its really good. It didn't need a round 2.

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Seriously, it was kind of weird seeing realistic military/police in the DMC universe. What must be going through their poor heads?

The idea that Nero/Dante are completely oblivious that the rest of the world doesn't operate on The Rule of Cool is hilarious and I hope actually stays, especially with the more realistic setting

Last edited:

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Man, the more I think about it, the more I realize how fucked up Nero most be in DMC5. Like seriously just picture this:

"You are a member of Order of the Sword. An organization that specializes in protecting people from demons.

Due to a string of events, you realize that others in your organization are demons trying to open the hell's gate on a stupid quest to rid the entire world from demons.

Along the way to stop them you'll fight a bunch of powerful demons, awaken your inner devil, fix and acquire one of the most powerful weapons/swords in the world (that you later on realize was used by Sparda's first born), fight with Dante the other son of the legendary Sparda twice, get his approval to use his brother's sword, realize that you are also a descendant of Sparda, beat the leader of the Order who has Sparda's power/weapon and save the girl you love and probably the entire world in the process.

Dante trusts you with Yamato for good. Sends you a Devil May Cry neon sign so you could start your own demon hunting business. You put the sign on a van and get on to demon hunting, making Dante proud and earning a living.

Several years have gone by since then. You are a pro at hunting demons now. You've managed to built a nice home for yourself and your lover close to sea.

One day when you are at home, the safest place in the world for you and your loved ones, someone/something sneaks up on you in your garage where you are fixing your van. He rips off your devil arm (the main source of your power) in mere seconds with his bare hands and leaves you bleeding to death. Your lover hears the noise and comes to see what has happened and all you can do while crawling towards the hooded demon/figure is to scream "KYRIE, GET BACK INSIDE NOW" totally helpless to do anything if the demon was to attack your lover.

A demon comes to your house, in your garage, rips off your arm (and steals the weapon that was trusted to you by Dante in the process) and all you can do is scream and beg/pray that he doesn't hurt your lover.

Even after you survive this attack, even if your lover survives this attack, how can any of you feel safe anymore? How can you live like this anymore? How can you not look over your shoulder every single second, expecting said demon to come back and finish the job? How can you even face Kyrie anymore? How can you ever feel safe again?"

-------------

Like, damn dude. No wonder there are a bunch of dream catchers in the van. Nero probably still has nightmares about what happened that day.

I really hope they touch on this and show what sort of mental damage Vergil's attack on Nero must've done to him. He probably felt extremely helpless in that moment. That must've had a huge impact on his relationship with Kyrie and their life as a couple as well.

I know I'm most likely setting myself up for disappointment here, but man they can do a lot of cool stuff with this.

Nice post.
Also you forgot that after some years, Dante become more silen and serioust with so many fucked up jobs he done and he end up in Hell in the end of Devil May Cry 2.
However his mood change after meeting the Demi-Fiend in Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne. And Escaped the Alternative reality.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, the more I think about it, the more I realize how fucked up Nero most be in DMC5. Like seriously just picture this:

"You are a member of Order of the Sword. An organization that specializes in protecting people from demons.

Due to a string of events, you realize that others in your organization are demons trying to open the hell's gate on a stupid quest to rid the entire world from demons.

Along the way to stop them you'll fight a bunch of powerful demons, awaken your inner devil, fix and acquire one of the most powerful weapons/swords in the world (that you later on realize was used by Sparda's first born), fight with Dante the other son of the legendary Sparda twice, get his approval to use his brother's sword, realize that you are also a descendant of Sparda, beat the leader of the Order who has Sparda's power/weapon and save the girl you love and probably the entire world in the process.

Dante trusts you with Yamato for good. Sends you a Devil May Cry neon sign so you could start your own demon hunting business. You put the sign on a van and get on to demon hunting, making Dante proud and earning a living.

Several years have gone by since then. You are a pro at hunting demons now. You've managed to built a nice home for yourself and your lover close to sea.

One day when you are at home, the safest place in the world for you and your loved ones, someone/something sneaks up on you in your garage where you are fixing your van. He rips off your devil arm (the main source of your power) in mere seconds with his bare hands and leaves you bleeding to death. Your lover hears the noise and comes to see what has happened and all you can do while crawling towards the hooded demon/figure is to scream "KYRIE, GET BACK INSIDE NOW" totally helpless to do anything if the demon was to attack your lover.

A demon comes to your house, in your garage, rips off your arm (and steals the weapon that was trusted to you by Dante in the process) and all you can do is scream and beg/pray that he doesn't hurt your lover.

Even after you survive this attack, even if your lover survives this attack, how can any of you feel safe anymore? How can you live like this anymore? How can you not look over your shoulder every single second, expecting said demon to come back and finish the job? How can you even face Kyrie anymore? How can you ever feel safe again?"

-------------

Like, damn dude. No wonder there are a bunch of dream catchers in the van. Nero probably still has nightmares about what happened that day.

I really hope they touch on this and show what sort of mental damage Vergil's attack on Nero must've done to him. He probably felt extremely helpless in that moment. That must've had a huge impact on his relationship with Kyrie and their life as a couple as well.

I know I'm most likely setting myself up for disappointment here, but man they can do a lot of cool stuff with this.

You'll get this sort of tone in Devil May Cry the day Cory Barlog reboots it.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Seriously, it was kind of weird seeing realistic military/police in the DMC universe. What must be going through their poor heads?

The idea that Nero/Dante are completely oblivious that the rest of the world doesn't operate on The Rule of Cool is hilarious and I hope actually stays, especially with the more realistic setting

I think it makes the world more relatable. DMC games have always taken place on secluded areas. Castles, island towns, towers etc you don't get a sense of where.

With the DMC5 trailer you know its our Earth (you see American flags on the darts in the van ) and it takes place during modern times in a fictional Red Grave city. Its basically Racoon City. I wonder if DMC and RE take place in the same world? Nero saying something like "better this city is overrun by demons than zombies" would be pretty funny.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The last thing DMC needs is to take itself 100% seriously or to have 10-minute long Kojima-tier diatribes. Give me fun-loving cut-scenes that are succinct, explosive and paced with the quickness.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
The last thing DMC needs is to take itself 100% seriously or to have 10-minute long Kojima-tier diatribes. Give me fun-loving cut-scenes that are succinct, explosive and paced with the quickness.

I agree with this. The reason DMC3's scenario works so well is because it lends itself to just working in a video game format. All the plot points, characters, and happenings in cutscenes are very video game-y and easily translate to gameplay. I think DMC has some pretty good lore, but that's the last reason I play it. I play it for the tight action gameplay and the fun, over the top action movie bullshit.

I don't mind if it wants to dig a little deeper, but I'm scared it would take away from what DMC is. But if done well, I would welcome it.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
We already know the fun and over the top action cutscenes are in, so I don't think you have to worry about that at all.

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know which one is the bigger asshole, DMC2 Dante who won't save innocents if it's tails, or DMC1/4 Dante who won't save innocents if they got the wrong password.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know which one is the bigger asshole, DMC2 Dante who won't save innocents if it's tails, or DMC1/4 Dante who won't save innocents if they got the wrong password.
Dante's coin in DMC2 doesn't have tails tho. Both sides have heads on them. So when he flips the coin he has already decided to help that person.

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017
This is an interesting video. Especially the part about the city at the end of the trailer (Dante part) being the same city from DMC2.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
This is an interesting video. Especially the part about the city at the end of the trailer (Dante part) being the same city from DMC2.

Gotta agree with pretty much everything theorized in this video. The DMC2 connections, the logo towed to Mundus, all stuff I've tossed up as theories as well. If this stuff turns out to be true, my happiness could not be contained.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

He definitely makes a good case for the sake of Dante being post-DMC2, and largely aligns with my own suspicions for such. And considering how much they've been reaching deep into old DMC works and re-purposing it for their own storyline (Nell Goldstein, Morrison, Dante liking strawberry sundaes, etc.), again and again, there's really no excuse for them to somehow not salvage DMC2 and make it work.

I still dunno how I feel about the possibility of Mundus, himself, coming back, even if it certainly does seem likely that he could be involved (re: Vergil Angelo ripping off Nero's arm, etc.). But I certainly can't deny that he'd be a perfect way to cap off the "Sons of Sparda" storyline for good.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I hope that scene after him on the bike is him pulling up to an old timey soda shop and ordering a sundae since he's been away for so long.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
I think DMC5 is completely unrelated to DMC2 which is probably not considered canon in Itsuno's universe anymore. The fact that they promote the game as a direct sequel to 4 it's a prime indication. Otherwise they would have to explain Nero and Vergil's absence from 2, plus Dante's return from hell.

I don't expect them wasting game's plot explaining old irrelevant lore instead of fully focusing on what happened after Fortuna incident.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I think DMC5 is completely unrelated to DMC2 which is probably not considered canon in Itsuno's universe anymore. The fact that they promote the game as a direct sequel to 4 it's a prime indication. Otherwise they would have to explain Nero and Vergil's absence from 2, plus Dante's return from hell.

I don't expect them wasting game's plot explaining old irrelevant lore instead of fully focusing on what happened after Fortuna incident.

Seeing as how at the end of 4 Dante just wanders off and the language for this game says his whereabouts are unknown, slotting 2 between them almost happens naturally. Nero has to be like, "where the hell have you been all this time?" And Dante pops off with something like, "hell, don't worry about it". That is literally all that needs to be said to canonize 2.

Additionally, Vergil's return and what's going on in Redgrave could wind up being connected to Dante's time in hell.

We don't need to dwell on 2 much to work it in and tie the entire series together.

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing as how at the end of 4 Dante just wanders off and the language for this game says his whereabouts are unknown, slotting 2 between them almost happens naturally. Nero has to be like, "where the hell have you been all this time?" And Dante pops off with something like, "hell, don't worry about it". That is literally all that needs to be said to canonize 2.

Additionally, Vergil's return and what's going on in Redgrave could wind up being connected to Dante's time in hell.

We don't need to dwell on 2 much to work it in and tie the entire series together.
I honestly expect Dante to say "I've just been through hell" at some point and that's all we're getting.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I'm aware. I meant in the context of the post. Trelll was listing things that Capcom's brought from the anime into actual canon and then mentioned the strawberry thing among those others too.

Believe it or not? The Project X Zone games. While those games themselves are definitely not canon, Itsuno allegedly was consulted about Dante's (and Vergil's in the sequel) characterizations in both games in order to make sure they were legitimate, and matched the characters as he saw them. So, when Dante got antsy about his strawberry sundaes being raided in PXZ, I took that as safe confirmation that Itsuno still was honoring that much about Dante's character that stems back all the way to the old Gokeida novels. Much like how Nell Goldstein has just been reaffirmed as canon again, if the engravings on E&I didn't indicate such.

It makes the difference between something like that, which Itsuno oversaw and approved, and MvCI, where it's known that Itsuno wasn't even consulted, and the expressed disappointment, thereof.

I honestly expect Dante to say "I've just been through hell" at some point and that's all we're getting.

Yep. I honestly hope that Lucia can be salvaged, as well, but even that may be a longshot if they just want to finally get past DMC2 and basically do more to say "this was a thing, NOW, MOVING ON~".

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017

I'd honestly be thrilled with that. 1 line is good enough to put the cliffhangery end of 2 to rest and finally move the story beyond that point.

Maybe it's some dumb need of mine to actually see Dante back after 2, but it's something that's bothered me since I finished that game way back when.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
Probably that way. But i hope they tackle dmc2 questions at the simplest way possible.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Believe it or not? The Project X Zone games. While those games themselves are definitely not canon, Itsuno allegedly was consulted about Dante's (and Vergil's in the sequel) characterizations in both games in order to make sure they were legitimate, and matched the characters as he saw them. So, when Dante got antsy about his strawberry sundaes being raided in PXZ, I took that as safe confirmation that Itsuno still was honoring that much about Dante's character that stems back all the way to the old Gokeida novels. Much like how Nell Goldstein has just been reaffirmed as canon again, if the engravings on E&I didn't indicate such.

It makes the difference between something like that, which Itsuno oversaw and approved, and MvCI, where it's known that Itsuno wasn't even consulted, and the expressed disappointment, thereof.
Ooh, cool! Thanks, didn't know about all this.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Devil May Cry is at it's best when it gut punches you with serious moments in between charming, off the wall quirky charisma. It's why Devil May Cry 3 worked so brilliantly.

Oct 25, 2017
Was this little tidbit mentioned?
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/06/21/famitsu-devil-ma
Also, before heading to the city during the events shown in the trailer, Dante left someone behind. That's likely relevant to the yet to be revealed third playable character.
Wonder what that means

DMC2 can be explained as a boring Tuesday for Dante. Nero, Trish, and Lady are killing demons some where else and no enemy is strong enough to take Dante down leading to him not giving a fuck. :p

Son of Sparda

Oct 25, 2017

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Itsuno is now making every piece of DMC media canon. I love it.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
So I have the games and am replaying them and after that's over I intend to rewatch the anime since I own that as well. Are there any other good canon/likely to be canon things I should check out?