• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Untitled-2.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=win&filter=globaltopsellers

Also the game is sitting for a whole week at number 1 position on amazon uk. Next week's UK chart will be interesting. I'm quite happy for itsuno, he deserves it. Other day watched the toco toco video and when he said it's aging now and thinking about how many games can make befoe retire, it made me sad. What a great video game director.

Should be in OT. :)

Plum

May 31, 2018
So I'm going through the demo again and, to be honest, it does feel quite good when you get some of the higher combo scores. Just got an S Rank in one of the encounters and I'm quite pleased with myself.

My question now is whether I should play through the other games before going into this one? I've got them all downloaded on my Xbox so I don't need to spend any more money.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It feels kinda weird that Devil May Cry get's so much recognition suddenly when the previous games always felt kinda niché. But maybe that's just because marketing buzzes that are common nowadays weren't a thing when 1-4 released.

DMC was never niche between 1-4. 2M per game was solid during the PS2 era. 1 created a genre and saw dozens of copycats, and many more borrowing aspects from it. It was, as cliché as it is to say it, arguably the Dark Souls of that gen.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm going through the demo again and, to be honest, it does feel quite good when you get some of the higher combo scores. Just got an S Rank in one of the encounters and I'm quite pleased with myself.

My question now is whether I should play through the other games before going into this one? I've got them all downloaded on my Xbox so I don't need to spend any more money.
Just don't play 2

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I find REALLY those reviews generous... I really don't see anything special about DMCV, sorry.

I played the demo and for me it's the same old shcool gameplay ( still not on par with Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta ). But that's not my main issue. My problem is that uninspired level design and those areas so small ( thise corridors and invisble walls, in 2019, come on now...). Just look at what Sekiro does. THAT'S the game I'm waiting for really ( and Bayo 3, I lost face in a Ninja Gaiden 4...).

Yes I like Nero and V looks so cool, but I'm disappointed Capcom didn't go for something more ambitious. This looks like a game of past gen with a current look. I'll give the game another try but I'll wait for a price cut or a sale. My eyes now are on Sekiro for now :)

Oct 26, 2017
That's especially true for those that can't help but take a condescending tone with me (seriously, if you think I'm wrong just say so, I don't need to be talked down to like a child).

I've got the demo open and it does at least explain what Exceed and Ex-Act are. I would never know what the hell "Enemy step" is, though
Seriously dude what do ya want people to say when you are failing to understand clearly explained and basic concepts.
  • You get a description of what the move does
  • How to execute the move
  • A video of the move being used
like any other new players fail to understand what this move does^

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Honestly, only play DMC3.

Slixshot

Oct 27, 2017
I find REALLY those reviews generous... I really don't see anything special about DMCV, sorry.

I played the demo and for me it's the same old shcool gameplay ( still not on par with Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta ). But that's not my main issue. My problem is that uninspired level design and those areas so small ( thise corridors and invisble walls, in 2019, come on now...). Just look at what Sekiro does. THAT'S the game I'm waiting for really ( and Bayo 3, I lost face in a Ninja Gaiden 4...).

Yes I like Nero and V looks so cool, but I'm disappointed Capcom didn't go for something more ambitious. This looks like a game of past gen with a current look. I'll give the game another try but I'll wait for a price cut or a sale. My eyes now are on Sekiro for now :)

Have you played the full game?

Oct 25, 2017
... but man... the Bayonetta trolls... obnoxious. Some people just can't help themselves, huh?

Fine, I'll change to a DMC avatar at some point >:(

lmao bayo 2 suddenly trash huh. Sounds like people trying to bolster devil may cry more because of their insecurities

I'm the biggest Bayo fan around and Bayo 2 is still trash. Not for a casual playthrough mind you, it's a fantastic little set piece rollercoaster game, but as a high end entry in the genre? Laughable.

He had nothing to do with that one, go figure!

Last edited:

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hearing the story is good is a pleasant surprise

NoirLamia777

Jan 13, 2019
Was going to wait for a sale to pick this up later in the year but I have a free weekend so shit gonna pick it up friday after work. Reviews are great.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017

Sekiro is a completely different type of game so it's weird to compare the two imo. That said, Sekiro looks amazing as well.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Watched Eurogamer Spain's Video Review. They emphatize that the game tries to make the characters look cool with lots of cutscenes, that the story is nothing special and that V is not that fun compared to the other 2 playable characters. Their say that the game tries to "compensate" with good graphics and lots of story sections a gameplay that is nothing new and doesn't feel as good as other classic action games.

I'll see this weekend, I love the genre and DMC 3/4 are games that I enjoyed a lot.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018

I am not a fan of DMC ,bayonetta or character action games either but you have to realize that all of the design choices in this game are very deliberate.

This game ,by design,is not meant to have the features you're looking for.

I am saying this as someone who isnt buying this game. Your critique misses the point.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017

What does Sekiro do?

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
I did manage a couple parry attacks, just didn't look as good as in the camera angle wasn't how I wanted it XD. I just got to this boss though, fight was amazing, will definitely be replaying a few more times, try out different stuff. :D

I'm playing on PC mostly maxed out, in the GIF apart from slow down and zooming in to cut out the HUD, all I've done image wise is increase the brightness/contrast a touch, at full HD and 60fps it's better looking than the small GIF, it's definitely one of the best looking games I've played.

Quick question Sunhi, does the game have ultrawide on PC?

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
thank you - love the sunhi gifs but not so much the twitter links (deleted my twitter account recently so the built it browser functionality doesn't work anymore)
Here it is in gif form.

SunhiLegend

You the best

Y4TtTM0.gif
Thanks!
I was just uploading the higher quality version to link here, usually try to make 2 versions, one for Twitter and another to post on here which doesn't have the size limit so can be larger. I know a lot of people don't use twitter plus some GIFs are too large, can't compress enough without losing too much quality. Anyway here's the link to the higher quality version.
https://i.imgur.com/IL4A0r8.gif

Oct 25, 2017
What level of spoilers does the IGN review contain? I consider anything not in the demo a spoiler, lol. Is it safe to listen to without watching or does it mention specific game mechanics? Why am I even asking I am on a media blackout zzz.

Pre-loading on PC now, on the other hand! Looking forward to decrypting taking longer than just downloading the game when released instead.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Arttemis I see you liking my comment over on Destructoid. This felt like a good moment to revisit the old stomping grounds.