• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
My first S Rank in my current DMC3 playthrough (as Vergil) is Vergil 3 on Hard.

Like, what?

EDIT: Oh Nelo Angelo DT feels so good

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
At that point though, just go back to the DMC3 system with DMC4's style switch.

The option to choose between 2/3/4 weapon switching systems is the ideal for me. I don't want to be stuck with only one system because some people prefer something else. Options and quality of life improvements should be a major focus of every DMC game going forward.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Well I just reached mission 12 in DMC4SE and holy shit, playing as Dante was embarrassing. I'll need to pour in a lot of time to get used to quickly switching styles... or even just doing so decently. I was panicking so much. Eugh.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You get used to it. It doesn't take that much time before switching styles becomes more natural. Royal Guard is the trickiest one to get used to.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
You get used to it. It doesn't take that much time before switching styles becomes more natural. Royal Guard is the trickiest one to get used to.
Hope you're right about that. Then again, I did get used to Nero again fairly quickly. Dante's much trickier, though, since he's got style and weapon switching too.

I hope I won't suck as much with the other three...

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Hope you're right about that. Then again, I did get used to Nero again fairly quickly. Dante's much trickier, though, since he's got style and weapon switching too.

I hope I won't suck as much with the other three...
The others are much easier to get a handle on, though Trish's moveset changes and lack of mobility can be tricky. Same with Lady's emphasis on guns and lack of mobility as well. They both make up for it in zoning and raw power. Vergil is all around much easier.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The option to choose between 2/3/4 weapon switching systems is the ideal for me. I don't want to be stuck with only one system because some people prefer something else. Options and quality of life improvements should be a major focus of every DMC game going forward.
But that's not how the post was worded. You were saying that you wanted a vastly more complex and bigger system. Switching between multiple systems is one thing, having one massive one as you suggested feels overbearing.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The others are much easier to get a handle on, though Trish's moveset changes and lack of mobility can be tricky. Same with Lady's emphasis on guns and lack of mobility as well. They both make up for it in zoning and raw power. Vergil is all around much easier.
Well, that's a relief. He's the one I want to play as the most. Lady seems really tricky, though, because of the switch up between melee and ranged...

Oh, I'm having trouble with the lock-on, though. I can't seem to switch it when I'm already targeting something? I'm playing on Steam with a DualShock 4, if that helps.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Well, that's a relief. He's the one I want to play as the most. Lady seems really tricky, though, because of the switch up between melee and ranged...

Oh, I'm having trouble with the lock-on, though. I can't seem to switch it when I'm already targeting something? I'm playing on Steam with a DualShock 4, if that helps.
Switching is L3. And Vergil's not as easy as Nero. Regardless, Dante's the most difficult character

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Switching is L3. And Vergil's not as easy as Nero. Regardless, Dante's the most difficult character
Yeah, I figured. Weapon switching makes things more complicated for me.

I'm pretty sure I've tried that before... But I could be wrong. Will give it another try then. Thanks!

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
It took a while for Lady to click for me, but once she did I was SSSing all over the place. Never did quite get the hang of Trish, I always end up doing that upside down spinning kick move more than anything. That or golfing with the Sparda.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Vergil is so good he's like a difficulty override, where playing him cranks down the difficulty a notch or two.

But that's not how the post was worded. You were saying that you wanted a vastly more complex and bigger system. Switching between multiple systems is one thing, having one massive one as you suggested feels overbearing.

Not me, although the complex system the other poster talked about was basically what a 4 weapon switching system would be. There are a few different ways of doing a 4 melee/4 ranged weapon switch system, and that's another thing that could be included. Personally I don't approve of having only one system, complex or no.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It took a while for Lady to click for me, but once she did I was SSSing all over the place. Never did quite get the hang of Trish, I always end up doing that upside down spinning kick move more than anything. That or golfing with the Sparda.
Lady is easy to get big style ranks because she does so much damage to so many at once. She just lacks the mobility which can make bosses rough.

Trish is odd because she has two melee sets, and a third when she doesn't have Sparda. I'm amazed that they didn't give her Air Raid and/or Charge Shot. For some reason I have more difficulty with her Pandora than I have with Dante's.
Not me, although the complex system the other poster talked about was basically what a 4 weapon switching system would be. There are a few different ways of doing a 4 melee/4 ranged weapon switch system, and that's another thing that could be included. Personally I don't approve of having only one system, complex or no.
My bad. I apparently can't read names.

Still, multiple systems is fine, but I don't think having something as complex as that as a starter, or the only system, is a good idea. Part of what makes DMC good is that the system is accessible, but there's a lot of depth that makes it tough to master. Dante in DMC4 is very obtuse if you're a first timer with DMC as a franchise (as I was).

Last edited:

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I've been wondering about this topic for while and I wanted to get some opinion.

Do you guys find DMC games difficult? If not, do you think DMCV would/should have tougher enemies (on base difficulty)?

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I like the difficulty just fine, but I hate getting ambushed by enemies just out of sight of the camera. Assaults are the worst with their diving and burrowing moves and when they're turned into Chimeras, you got yourself my most hated enemy in the game.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I've been wondering about this topic for while and I wanted to get some opinion.

Do you guys find DMC games difficult? If not, do you think DMCV would/should have tougher enemies (on base difficulty)?
Yes, but not unfair, so it doesn't feel difficult. Does that make sense?
I like the difficulty just fine, but I hate getting ambushed by enemies just out of sight of the camera. Assaults are the worst with their diving and burrowing moves and when they're turned into Chimeras, you got yourself my most hated enemy in the game.
Chimera Assaults are shitty. It's why I hate the Untouchable secret mission so much.

But enemies always make specific sounds before they perform certain attacks, so you gotta listen.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

There should be 3 difficulty modes like there almost are.

Easy mode: This is for people who are just in it for the story/characters. Make it so easy that my grandmother can beat it without a stretch.

Normal mode: Aimed at the casual but regular gamer these days. Not coddlingly easy but they will die here and there.

Devil Hunter/Hard mode: This is actually pretty damn hard. Even long time DMC fans will be challenged and die quite a bit.

This way people can play what they want. Reviewers can play on normal and feel like a bad ass. People who want challenged can be challenged.

Also throw in Turbo/Hardcore modifiers for even more challenge.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
The difficulty is scaled perfectly. At least in DMC3/4.

The biggest downer when it comes to DMC4 is that the bosses are like, still pretty easy. Credo, Sanctus, and Bael/Dagon especially. Echidna, too. Honestly, the bosses in DMC4 are kinda lacking.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Hey man. There is a DMC Chinese mobile game in the making: https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...combat-revealed-mobile-china-exclusive.12647/

Also stay safe with all of the unrest and stuff.

<3
Thanks man.

Damn how the hell did I miss that thread. Those reactions on the first page lmao

it would be a great help if you guys could mention my name in any DMC related thread. I have access to internet once or twice every week and it's tough to follow every thread without being mentioned.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Man I do hope flux makes a return from DMC3. I mean, yeah Nero has that breaker move at the beginning, and Lady doesn't even have a DT, but rather a straight up explosion, but the brothers and Trish don't have anything. Flux adds a lot of depth to DT, which the more and more experience and time I get from the franchise, probably has more depth than any other similar mechanic in an action game. I'd say the Viewtiful Joe franchise is the only other one that does this, since it's a core gameplay concept to remain transformed. Maybe Bayo2, due to the multiple uses of the magic meter, but I honestly can't think of any other character action games that utilize their DT equivalents with such depth. And there are a lot of games like this.

Take Vergil's Nelo Angelo DT from DMC3, or Nero's Yamato DT in DMC4. Just really great by basically crafting whole new move sets.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Vergil's and Trish's DT activations actually have similar effects to Nero's,

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
From a lore perspective, it is a nice touch that all the Order of the Sword bosses (Credo, Agnus, Sanctus) all have some variation of Summon Swords or a Summon Swords technique.

And I also just noticed that the Order's symbol is supposed to be the Sparda sword
Dante's still doesn't.
That's weird to me. The depth the DTs add to these characters is just something that's fascinated me recently, but is it something.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
From a lore perspective, it is a nice touch that all the Order of the Sword bosses (Credo, Agnus, Sanctus) all have some variation of Summon Swords or a Summon Swords technique.

And I also just noticed that the Order's symbol is supposed to be the Sparda sword

That's weird to me. The depth the DTs add to these characters is just something that's fascinated me recently, but is it something.

It's because they didn't add anyhing to Dante or Nero. The others' DT's had to be coded individually so I guess that was something they decided to add for 4SE.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Hi guys.

I've been playing the DMC HD collection on PS3 this weekend. I've finished DMC1 on normal and hard, and enjoyed it a lot. Right now I'm at chapter 4 on Dante Must Die difficulty and Nero Angelo is beating my ass but I've got an S rank in the previous 3 chapters, which is a morale boost considering how pedestrian my performances were on hard and specially normal. Still, I'm finding it more frustrating than fun because, while I know what strategy I have to pull to the bosses in order to succed, I'm still not good enough to do it reliably, so I fail a loooot of times, and considering it's the third playthrough, I'm thinking giving it a breather, and return later once I finish 2 and 3.

I'm amazed at how the game has just teached me how to properly play through the course of the game however. It's so satisfying to do things well in places where you previously struggled, and at a higher difficulty no less. And even then it still throws you new things to force you to mix it up with things like regular enemies getting devil trigger states. The mechanics have been surpassed and the camera is terrible, but it amazes me how right they got it the first time, it's still an absolutely spectacular game today.

Now unto DMC2.... Hopefully it will be brief, but I doubt it will be painless.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
DMC1 the ORIGINAL Souls game.

With Nelo Angelo you really want to maximize your Devil Trigger usage. Don't try to do any fancy, whenever you are in DT you can break his guard so just go ham on him. When you don't have DT, play it safer, jump to avoid his attacks and build meter with the Grenade launcher or taunt. A well timed Magma Drive (the uppercut with Ifrit) can also break Nelo Angelo's guard.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I mean this one:

235783-L-LO.jpg

The PS3/360 one, for comparison:

latest

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Because DMC1 is in the center, and therefore the focal point. Then you have it going chronologically left to right.

You know what would be cool? If like, in DMC5, they go to Hell, right, but hear me out: Then Vergil fights DMC2 Dante, because time in Hell is weird and in my head Vergil would be making his way to the heart of Hell or whatever to gain ultimate power to rule Hell and destroy all the demons and claim dominion, where Nero will fight him as both of their final bosses: Nero vs Vergil. Also Lucia should team up with Vergil for funsies. I should really just play Lucia's campaign in DMC2 to say that I have played every single playable character in the franchise.

My story idea for DMC5 that I posted in the leak thread months ago:
Vergil will be in hell, where Dante and Nero will both have to go to kill Mundus. Nero (with Lady) and Dante (with Trish) will split up: Nero to go rescue Vergil and Dante to defeat Mundus. It will be revealed that Vergil is so far gone that he believes that the best way to beat Mundus is to take his power and absorb it himself so as to finally be strong enough to protect those around him and ultimately surpass his father. Nero will be forced to fight and ultimately kill Vergil. Dante will finally destroy Mundus. With Vergil dead and Mundus destroyed, Sparda's legacy has completely been fulfilled and the cycle broken.

Vergil's story will be him working through Hell on his own path to destroy Mundus, ultimately attempting to absorb his power and being destroyed by Nero.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Vergil would never get worked by Nero.

In reality Vergil has been training hyperbolic time chamber style in hell all this time. Dante too busy eating Strawberry Sundaes, reading Playboys and eating pizzas while hunting weaksauce demons... Vergil been getting buff in hell. When they finally meet, Vergil going to smack both Dante and Nero down to size. It's going to have to be a Vergil vs Dante + Nero showdown for him to finally fall (in additional to Vergil's own ego).

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

In reality Vergil has been training hyperbolic time chamber style in hell all this time. Dante too busy eating Strawberry Sundaes, reading Playboys and eating pizzas while hunting weaksauce demons... Vergil been getting buff in hell. When they finally meet, Vergil going to smack both Dante and Nero down to size. It's going to have to be a Vergil vs Dante + Nero showdown for him to finally fall (in additional to Vergil's own ego).
I mean, we don't know how powerful Nero will get and how messed up Vergil is given that he exploded last time he was seen.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's the Japanese cover for the previous one as well.

dmchd5.jpg

Huh, I'd never seen that before. I'm sure it is just their way of giving the big dog DMC1 pride of place on the box art, but I can't resist razzing Capcpom every now and then :P

I want to see Punished Vergil pulling some straight up ridiculous shit when he jumps out of Hell. I want him effortlessly fighting off Dante, Nero, Lady and Trish all at once, then laying them all out in one slash and telling them he was only using a fraction of his power. "There's a new Lord of Hell, Dante, and he's coming. If this is all you have, you don't stand a chance..."

*CUT TO LATE TITLE CARD*

Devil May Cry V

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
So has anybody had issues with weapon switching in 4SE (Steam) when using a DualShock 4? I'm kinda hoping it's just my controller because I plan on getting a new one later this month. I'd also like to think that that's why I'm not playing as well as I'd like with Dante, but I honestly just suck. I don't know why, but I didn't have a hard time at all back when I played the original. And I was playing with a keyboard for Pete's sake.