• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Some of those textures look like they haven't been touched up. Reminds me of the latest RE4 remaster.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
CAPCOM could've pick a better screenshots for DMC2, but this...
main_img02.jpg

Really?????????

Think of the poor dude that had to play DMC2 to get the screenshots man. Give him some slack haha

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
I actually love all the development stories for the DMC games from being a resident evil reject to DMC2 where the creator has no idea it was being made. Such a storied franchise really hope DMC 5 is coming

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As expected, it looks like a basic port of the old HD Remaster from these screen shots. It doesn't look like they have made many (if any) adjustments / improvements for current gen consoles.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
This bare minimum effort really isn't the way to kick off the triumphant return of DMC this year. DMC HD was a perfectly average HD remaster last-gen, but standards have risen since then and if they're really just putting out the same thing again at 1080p it's really going to stick out. I mean they didn't even bother to re-do the games' menus for HD the first time.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
Not really a fan of barebones hd remasters, but I haven't played Devil May Cry since the 4th release, which is what, ten years or so? So I'm excited to play them again. Now I have to ponder if playing DMC2 is worth it just for completion sake, as I only remember the feeling of being astonishingly bored while playing it, and that there were demonic tanks and helicopters in the game. I don't remember anything else so I'm kinda curious to experience that sense of bitter dissapointment all over again.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
These are just straight up bad screenshots in general not saying anything to the quality or resolution they were taken in.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't have the PS3 collection so I am going to buy it. 33€ is not bad for three games I haven't played in a long time and want to play again.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i kind of like it in a way. that era is old enough to have its own nostalgic charm with a simple upres

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This really looks like the most barebones release possible. It wouldn't be surprising if they forgot to switch prompts from start and select to options and touchpad.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Man I almost forgot about the Kalina Ann glitch. Doesn't the grapple straight up not work at all? What a bummer.

SnakeyHips

Oct 31, 2017
Wales
Yes, disappointed with that one too.
I guess wanting an Onimusha HD collection is a bad idea.
Okami; however, is amazing!
Games with an "art style" like Okami and Wind Waker would great when upscales. Games which are just models with textures like DMC don't really benefit as much and sometimes can look worse but still glad to play DMC3 again.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Uh, what were people expecting? A Crash or SOTC level overhaul? It's just the PS2 games in 1080p with widescreen support, and Capcom never really promised anything more. The point of this collection is to make these games available on PS4 and PC for the first time (3 is already on PC technically, but it's a terrible port IIrc). Now, these games not being made available through BC on X1 (for the folks that still own their X360 copy of the collection) and this collection not supporting PRO/X is terrible, and these things are very much worthy of criticism.

I just don't agree that this "barebones" release is something that should be lambasted, at least as a PS4 owner who could no longer play these games on my current platform of choice without this collection being a thing (now, if I could play my PS3 copy on PS4, that would be a different story, and I would have no interest in this). I think preservation and wider accessibility for Classic games like this (at least when they are no longer available on current platforms) is always a good thing. $30 is reasonable for 3 games as well, Imo.

Acquila

Oct 26, 2017
I guess at least we get to play DMC1 on PC.

Not sure if DMC3 had touched up textures, otherwise the original PC release was already mostly fixed (and made tons better) thanks to mods. Here's to hoping this new release lends itself better to mods though, like higher res textures. The original release crashed whenever you tried to inject bigger textures.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't agree that this "barebones" release is something that should be lambasted, at least as a PS4 owner who could no longer play these games on my current platform of choice without this collection being a thing (now, if I could play my PS3 copy on PS4, that would be a different story, and I would have no interest in this). I think preservation and wider accessibility for Classic games like this (at least when they are no longer available on current platforms) is always a good thing. $30 is reasonable for 3 games as well, Imo.

It's not "barebones" with inverted commas, it's just straight up barebones. Not even bothering with any kind of Pro/1X support? I mean, I can't really think of how they could put less effort into this, short of just leaving it at 720p.

I mean, $30 is reasonable, but this isn't exactly praiseworthy. Why not increase the budget, sell if for $60 and do a decent job of it? I'd happily pay it.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Got it on ps2 and PS3

Can never get tired of these games.

Gonna get it again on pc

Those screenshot choices though...

Wandu

Oct 27, 2017
I am still picking this up. I get to retire my PS3 copy and will replay this on PS4!

CrackPebbles

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like upscaled DMC alright

I've bought DMC3 like 6 times already across various platforms i'll buy it again for PS4, sure.

topplehat

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Did someone actually look at these screenshots and say "yeah these are the ones that will build up hype"? Seems like they could've picked better ones.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what everyone was expecting here? Looks about as good as I expected it to considering they're uprezzed PS2 games. Nice and clean.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hmmm. These games aren't aging graphically as well as I thought. Outside of maybe DMC3 which still sticks out in places.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
When you don't want to do any actual work, but also don't want Sony to take a chunk of the profits for doing a PS2 conversion lol

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's not "barebones" with inverted commas, it's just straight up barebones. Not even bothering with any kind of Pro/1X support? I mean, I can't really think of how they could put less effort into this, short of just leaving it at 720p.

I mean, $30 is reasonable, but this isn't exactly praiseworthy. Why not increase the budget, sell if for $60 and do a decent job of it? I'd happily pay it.
Personally, I'm very happy we're getting all these terrible barebones ports from Capcom. It means that I now have the ability to play the entire DMC series, almost the entire RE series, every Street Fighter ever, Okami, almost every Mega Man, and Dragon's Dogma all on my PS4. These games all being available on PC also means they're far more future-proof than ever before as well, due to the nature of the platform.

If Capcom invested in full on remakes, Crash/SOTC style, these games would've taken much more time and money to develop and release, if all of them ever even got that treatment to begin with. The reality is that if they'd taken the approach you suggest, we wouldn't have gotten so many ports from them so quickly (if we got them at all). So, for me, this is praiseworthy. I'd have loved to get something more, sure, but having the ability to play all these Classic Capcom games on my current platform is fantastic, and something I'm personally very happy about.