• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

• Same size as 360 and PS3
  • Some areas have dynamic resolution while docked, ranging from 1080p to 900p
  • Portable not dynamic, 720p fixed
  • Some effects and shaders were exchanged from 360 version and seem to have low quality and/or resolution
  • Audio is confirmed to be worse than last gen versions although same game size
  • Game has vsync enabled and targets 30 fps. While not perfect, it's way better than last gen but as a tradition, it also has framepacing issues

Last edited:

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like worse version of the game all around and even drops fps on handheld so can't recommend it there. No redeeming qualities but still good to have, and we got Solaire Amiibo out of it.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that audio...

This just seems to be a really bad port overall.

Framepacing with the ocasional drops and the audio are two of the biggest issues.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like worse version of the game all around and even drops fps on handheld so can't recommend it there. No redeeming qualities but still good to have, and we got Solaire Amiibo out of it.
The redeeming quality is portability. It's the entire Dark Souls in your hands. People tend to forget how miraculous this whole console experience in portable mode is.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's a much, much better version than on 360/PS3 and that's the main point here. It's obviously worse than PS4/One (unless you didn't like the new changes on visual quality), but a good portable experience.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
I mostly play Switch games portable, and it seems that the portable version is not bad at all, mostly holding at 30 fps. But I will probably get it on PC though. 60 fps for an action game is still the priority.

Still haven't played a single Souls title. So I am pretty excited to pick it up soon.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
The redeeming quality is portability. It's the entire Dark Souls in your hands. People tend to forget how miraculous this whole console experience in portable mode is.

It's a much, much better version than on 360/PS3 and that's the main point here. It's obviously worse than PS4/One (unless you didn't like the new changes on visual quality), but a good portable experience.
Yeah, it has better framerate and resolution than last gen but then again that audio and effects? Seems like only people that really have no other means to play the game other consoles or any kind of PC should get it, or either those who must have it for portable.
I don't see what's miraculous about portables though, heh.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
effect*. Only one is affected, that you'll only notice on two spots. It's otherwise the same for all the others.
Dragon fire, Quelaag, Fog door, that's 3 mentioned in the video.
I mean, that's fine. I think it's the best way to play games for me and I'm sure others think the same.

To each their own, but being portable is still worth remembering when talking about selling points.
Definitely, I know there's lots of fans of portable consoles that only play that way, which is why I said it's good to have in first place too.
I don't like portable because it's just a lesser experience if you're not relaxing in front of big screen to me, plus they're all really uncomfortable but each to their own.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So seems like a failry decent port ruined by audio quality. It sounds absolutely awful even with my poor hearing, like you're playing the game through a crappy phone speaker. I hope it sells well because it's clearly important for the Switch's long-term third party support but, damn, Bandai Namco and Virtuous (if they're the ones behind the audio quality) have done literally everything in their power to make this an unattractive proposition.

Nov 4, 2017
Oh lordy, that audio. Ugh.

However, if you're a die-hard Nintendo tragic who won't try other platforms, or if you live a lifestyle where a portable console is the only way you can fit gaming in, this seems like a respectable option. I wouldn't choose it over PS4/Xbone remaster or Prepare to Die edition on PC with DSfix, but I might pick this up down the track if it ever hits bargain basement prices.

Deleted member 3700

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it has better framerate and resolution than last gen but then again that audio and effects? Seems like only people that really have no other means to play the game other consoles or any kind of PC should get it, or either those who must have it for portable.
I don't see what's miraculous about portables though, heh.
I have a gaming PC hooked to a TV but still many often prefer to play games on Switch for portability. I have varied demands from different genres, but many games do work better on handheld rather than sitting in front of a big screen (according to my preference), like most indies. It is no miraculous, just suiting one's demands.

I would prefer to play Dark Souls on PC though.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Which effect is it? I haven't been able to watch the video yet but I'm gonna guess fire.
Fire and lava had the bloom removed, which makes them look a lot simpler, even though the mesh seems identical.

qiqkca9.gif

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
A handheld playing games almost on par with 13 year old home console hardware is closer to typical than miraculous.

It's not almost on par, it's far superior in most respects. Far higher resolution and average framerate, the only downgrades seem to be audio and the fire effect.

Fog door isn't a downgrade though. It's a different effect.

Yup, fire.

Gotcha, sounds like a problem with bandwidth affecting alpha.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that audio...

This just seems to be a really bad port overall.

Framepacing with the ocasional drops and the audio are two of the biggest issues.

While the audio is a disappointment it performs better than last gen versions and it's running on the Switch no less. How that's a 'bad port' is beyond me

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Fire and lava had the bloom removed, which makes them look a lot simpler, even though the mesh seems identical.

qiqkca9.gif

Oh interesting, that's not the problem I would've expected. That sounds more like a design choice than a hardware issue, I didn't think bloom would be terribly taxing.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
  • Game has vsync enabled and targets 30 fps. While not perfect, it's way better than last gen but as a tradition, it also has framepacing issues
I still don't understand why From doesn't get more shit for this. Do they not care about the framepacing issues? Do they not think it's a problem? Is their engine so terrible that it cannot be fixed? Since this port was developed by another studio, it almost makes me think that it's the latter answer. In which case... learn a new engine for fucks sake. It was bad enough that it never even got addressed in Bloodborne but to have the same issue persist in Dark Souls III was mind blowing.

Snkfanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Such a shame about that audio, if they fix that in the future I might consider it but it killed my desire to have it.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Seems to play good in portable mode, which is why you should this version in the first place. Guess it's this remaster for me + importing the trilogy on PS4 for revisiting 2 and playing 3 for the first time.

But first RDR2.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
lol @ the buttons confirming/canceling being swapped around depending on which menu you're in.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Shame there isn't an option to download a large file for uncompressed audio, there's enough complaints about the quality that I think many would take the tradeoff of 4GB storage space for the improvement

Oct 25, 2017
Souls veteran here, having dropped the PS4 version shortly after release (my own fault, due to time constraints and the fact I was being silly and started two save files simultaneously), I was hoping to egg on and support those getting the Switch version.

But there's no OT.

It is a game that is built with community in mind, the early days of a new Soulsborne game is hard to describe but it is absolutely crucial to new players and those with prior experience that they share their stories. Hell, there's a mechanic built in to leave messages for fellow travellers.

But there's no OT.

We should have got the game at release of the original Remasters. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the first announcement was in the Direct from around Januaray? And then the remastered version for all platforms was revealed and it was then confirmed Switch was also getting some form of that version. We didn't get it with the others of course, and nobody gave us any information so rumours and guesses became almost fact. The games are known for their yearly 'Return to...' community meet-ups, the release of the Switch version should be treated as the same.

But there's no OT.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need the Switch online pass for this do you?

I know some like the invading thing and whatnot, but that's not my thing.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Shame there isn't an option to download a large file for uncompressed audio, there's enough complaints about the quality that I think many would take the tradeoff of 4GB storage space for the improvement

The audio quality doesn't have anything to do with file size. The game is the same exact size as it was on last gen consoles with the exact same assets and they didn't have the audio problems.

It's also likely on an 8GB game card since the file size is 3.9GB and a formatted 4GB card doesn't have that much usable space. Although maybe the reported file size factors in the formatted space? Who knows.

Either way the file size/card size is not a valid reason for these audio issues.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Funny how a 360 game has some higher quality effects lol

thats hardly driveby, its true. Alpha effects are worse on the switch and its funny/ interesting

Still gonna get the version, but the only thing that's keeping me from dayoneing was the audio bug.

And watching the best sellers in the eshop, it seems this version is not doing so well :/