• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Is it "much, much better" than the 360 version? It seems like compared to the 360 we have notably worse effects and audio, but higher res and more consistent framerate (but still not fully consistent and we still have frame pacing). To me, it's disappointing that a 360 game is only mildly improved, and in some cases even degraded. This system is supposed to be notably stronger than a 360.

A 720p - 900/1080p and a much more consistent framerate is most definitely "notably stronger" performance than the previous generation. You've also got to remember that it's doing so on a console smaller than the case Dark Souls on the 360 came in.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it "much, much better" than the 360 version? It seems like compared to the 360 we have notably worse effects and audio, but higher res and more consistent framerate (but still not fully consistent and we still have frame pacing). To me, it's disappointing that a 360 game is only mildly improved, and in some cases even degraded. This system is supposed to be notably stronger than a 360.

Again, it's only one effect that's downgraded, not "notably worse effects". It has a better res and a MUCH better framerate, and it vastly improved compared to the 360 version.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
Its been solid besides the hideous sound but I also got up to the dragon breath and... yeah.
realisticfire2hes2.png

Reminds me of this:
47602_4_metal-gear-solid-mod-unlocks-hidden-dlc-items_full.jpg

I sincerely hope for a patch for this stuff and an excuse on why this was like this in the first place. (But we're not getting the latter)

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
More consistent is underselling performance improvement. 360 absolutely chugged in parts with framerates even dipping into the mid teens. I'd also say going from below 720p to 1080p dynamic is more than a "mild" improvement.

Both those are frankly huge, plus in game upgrades to QOL and online. One weaker fire effect isn't even worth mentioning on that scale, the only comparably big issue is audio.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is actually amassing a nice little collection of PS360 ports. Tales of Vesperia, Okami HD, RE Revelations 1-2, Valkyria Chronicles, Dark Souls, etc. It's a smart move given Switch's performance profiles so hopefully we see the trend continue.
Nintendo got so lucky everybody was porting their last gen stuff anyway and probability is a big selling point.

Deleted member 37739

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
"'Running on the Switch no less''

So you're telling me that they've managed to get a last gen game to run on better hardware? Shocking.

It has:

Framepacing Issues
Ocasional framerate drops with the most common ones being in boss fights
Some missing/worse effects and other things like the moon in the Sif fight
Terrible audio quality

Outside the framerate not dropping as low as the 360/PS3 version there's not much going for it and it even goes back to do some things worse. The original on last gen isn't that much of a high bar to beat given that ran pretty terrible but this is barely an improvement in some areas.

Yeah, I do feel like 'running better than last gen' isn't really something anyone should be crowing about - last gen versions were atrocious.

Seeing the drops in boss battles is a bit of a turn off for me though - might wait and see what the patches deliver.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you people are either completely nuts or just trolling, this video plus almost all of the reviews have praised this as an excellent port.

And honestly I agree, it feels better than even PTDE with DSfix to play. It looks better, controls are more responsive, performance is more stable, and it's on a portable to boot.

Outside of the audio issues and the A/B nonsense this is an excellent port.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Based on these responses it seems like a glass half empty/half full scenario. Depending on your own personal perspective you will see this port/remaster in a negative or positive light.

I think it looks quite good and the responses from those who have actually played it on this board seem quite positive.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Why is this deserving of a warning? Are we not allowed to point out how lame of a port this appears to be(in docked mode)? ffs

Fragile fanboy ego? I wish mods had as heavy a trigger finger when it comes to Steam/Valve threads.

I agree, seemed like a fair point to have a laugh at how ridiculous it is. Like MoTN running at 30 on Switch when it was 60 on 360. The "Remastered" in the title should have a big fat asterisk.

Last edited:

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you wanna play semantics, sure, but when the remaster was first shown most people complained about how the fog doors looked now and I also find them better looking how they went before (and how they are on the NSW version) than how it is on the new version.
Not semantics. You just need to read the article. Still a downgrade at least in comparison with the PS4/XBXone.

~Fake

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I do feel like 'running better than last gen' isn't really something anyone should be crowing about - last gen versions were atrocious.

Seeing the drops in boss battles is a bit of a turn off for me though - might wait and see what the patches deliver.
I think a more agressive dynamic resolution could fix that.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Fragile fanboy ego? I agree, seemed like a fair point to have a laugh at how ridiculous it is. Like MoTN running at 30 on Switch when it was 60 on 360. The "Remastered" in the title should have a big fat asterisk.
MOTN is apparently a bug as it'll run 60fps fine if you move from docked to undocked until you hit a loading screen.

Not semantics. You just need to read the article. Still a downgrade at least in comparison with the PS4/XBXone.
We knew Switch was using the base assets from the outset. This isn't a downgrade.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It didn't even receive the 60fps bump yet still has to make tons of compromises. That to me is lame on a console 2 times removed from the original.

Yeah people need to realize that DF leans on the overly positive side when doing analysis. Even when they're reviewing something that runs horrendous they rarely use harsh language or in the switch's case they really let a lot slide because of its portable factor. Even in Doom's case they went on and on about how amazing it was but all I saw was how compromised it was. They merely choose to go with the glass half full side of things and that's fine.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus that audio...

This just seems to be a really bad port overall.

Framepacing with the ocasional drops and the audio are two of the biggest issues.

How is a much higher resolution. A much, much more stable 30fps than the last gen versions with V-Sync and the ability to take the experience on the go a "bad port overall" lol?

It's definitely got it's bad points like the audio and the lower quality effects (the frame pacing is par for the course with FROM's engine) but it's hardly a deal breaker for most especially when it has that killer feature of being able to take it portable.

People see and hear what they want to in these comparisons I guess...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It didn't even receive the 60fps bump yet still has to make tons of compromises. That to me is lame on a console 2 times removed from the original.

Which tons of compromises? The one missing bloom effect from the fire and lava? And the weird audio issues that have literally nothing to do with file size but are apparently a common issue with Virtuous ports?

Everything else is either an upgrade or the same. Two compromises.

The audio is really bad, and I hope there's enough pressure on Bamco to do something about it. Even if you've never played the game before, it's clear just how low the sample rate is, making it sound like that Virtuos got their audio assets from Kazaa or something.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
This turned out better than I thought. I own the PS3 version with the DLC and also the Xbox One version for my Xbox One X and PS4 version for my Pro.

I do prefer the lighting of the original, so now I'm seriously considering getting the Switch version as a replacement for the PS3 version, so I don't have to put wear and tear on my PS3 Slim's HDD. Switch is Dark Souls seems like a better experience than the PS3/360 versions with the same assets. Higher resolution in docked mode, and even in portable mode, its still 720p most of the time, (whereas Xbox 360 and PS3 versions are technically sub-HD). And with a much more solid 30fps framerate on Switch in either mode, that's a big deal. If they can fix the audio issues, it'll be as good as it gets for portable and Nintendo TV console Dark Souls.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The audio is really bad, and I hope there's enough pressure on Bamco to do something about it. Even if you've never played the game before, it's clear just how low the sample rate is, making it sound like that Virtuos got their audio assets from Kazaa or something.
Yeah the audio is frankly terrible. Did StarLink Switch, the L.A.Noire remasters or FFX/X-2/XII HD have this issue? I've never heard it specifically pointed out regarding Virtuos work before and they've worked on like everything?

Last edited:

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
What is "platform trolling"? Is that like saying anything negative about a platform?

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Was looking forward to portable souls despite having already played it on PC but I'm not getting this until they fix the audio.

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So, Switch portable is slightly better than PS3 in some ways and significantly worse in other ways. About what I expected.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The redeeming quality is portability. It's the entire Dark Souls in your hands. People tend to forget how miraculous this whole console experience in portable mode is.
Having last gen games on current gen portable is just expected at this point. Pretty basic stuff.

Good that the port focused on stable performance, but holy shit at that audio and that fire effect. They get extra time but still fell short on some key points. The Outlook on having the entire trilogy on the go don't look so good right now...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
So, Switch portable is slightly better than PS3 in some ways and significantly worse in other ways. About what I expected.

This is extremely incorrect? It's significantly better in terms of resolution and framerate, worse in terms of audio and one particular bloom effect missing.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah people need to realize that DF leans on the overly positive side when doing analysis. Even when they're reviewing something that runs horrendous they rarely use harsh language or in the switch's case they really let a lot slide because of its portable factor. Even in Doom's case they went on and on about how amazing it was but all I saw was how compromised it was. They merely choose to go with the glass half full side of things and that's fine.

One person's "overly positive" is another's "not flagrantly hyperbolic." I dare say their positivity draws from a professional and technical knowledge of what's possible, tempering their expectations from the outset, much unlike the ignorant internet masses.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Not really.

Slightly better resolution (significantly better docked), significantly better performance, significantly better tearing (as in none), slightly better QOL (trading multiples, revised descriptions, etc), slightly better online (4p -> 6p).

vs

One slightly worse effect (lacking bloom), significantly worse audio, confirm/cancel input fuck up.

Even undocked Switch is a big step up in most ways from PS3 and almost every technical way visually. The issues it does have with audio and A/B are bad though and sort of perplexing given there's no clear hardware limitation.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
It looks fine for me for portable -- will play on PC if I need a much better version. I'm about to go out and pick it up for Switch so I finally have an excuse to finish the damn game. So many runs crushed by fate. No longer.

What is "platform trolling"? Is that like saying anything negative about a platform?

Saying something negative about Switch or Switch games.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Does the video comment on the god awful HD rumble implementation? Games like this where you have equips in both hands ought to be the games that get the best use out of the effects, but they instead tend to just crank up the high-pitched hard rumble instead.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a good version. And people talking about last gen game, personally i dont think its bad that we can get basically that quality in portable factor now (technology wise, its possible to get even more than what Switch offers as well, but that will cost more money, but at least the technology exist).

I'm also curious if we will ever get a definitive answer regarding the reasons for the delay and the audio issues.

Deleted member 13628

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not really.

Slightly better resolution (significantly better docked), significantly better performance, significantly better tearing (as in none), slightly better QOL (trading multiples, revised descriptions, etc), slightly better online (4p -> 6p).

vs

One slightly worse effect (lacking bloom), significantly worse audio, confirm/cancel input fuck up.

Even undocked Switch is a big step up in most ways from PS3 and almost every technical way visually. The issues it does have with audio and A/B are bad though and sort of perplexing given there's no clear hardware limitation.
Not really interested in docked mode since I already bought and played a dramatically better docked version of the game 6 months ago. The point of Switch is portability so that's what I look at.

1280x720 vs 1024x720 is not a major difference. Framerate is more stable, but outside of Blighttown I don't remember framerate being a big issue on the PS3 version. Same exact assets but ironically significantly worse effects at times. The audio is pathetic on the Switch, that's just not arguable. And I'm not someone who really cares about sound quality in general, but even I can't ignore this. Agree about the better online, but that's about the only part of this that actually feels like a "remaster".

I'll just say if this is the best DS1 can run on the Switch, then forget about DS3 ever showing up.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

What tons of comprimises are you talking about? Sounds like hyperbole.

Not dropping to almost single digits fps is only "slightly better" now? Okay.

The point of Switch is portability so that's what I look at.

1280x720 vs 1024x720 is not a major difference.

720p native resolution on the portable display looks vastly better than 720p on your big 1080p or 4k TV.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Not really interested in docked mode since I already bought and played a dramatically better docked version of the game 6 months ago. The point of Switch is portability so that's what I look at.

1280x720 vs 1024x720 is not a major difference. Framerate is more stable, but outside of Blighttown I don't remember framerate being a big issue on the PS3 version. Same exact assets but ironically significantly worse effects at times. The audio is pathetic on the Switch, that's just not arguable. And I'm not someone who really cares about sound quality in general, but even I can't ignore this. Agree about the better online, but that's about the only part of this that actually feels like a "remaster".

I'll just say if this is the best DS1 can run on the Switch, then forget about DS3 ever showing up.
Not effects, effect. As in one singular, it's the same assets too just missing bloom.

The big issue is audio, the game looks and runs better than PS3 did, significantly at times too.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Why shouldn't they see things differently due to the portable and small-form-factor nature of the Switch? Should they just ignore the work put in by development teams and instead judge the console based on the standards of machines many times bigger and more power-hungry than Nintendo's?

As for them "letting a lot slide"... how? Can you point me to any videos where they 1) don't show a relatively comprehensive look at a game's framerate and 2) don't specify that things may change in areas later down the line? I can only think of their Fortnite on Switch video myself and, unlike your assertions, that actually made the game look worse than how the main game-modes played.

Out of curiosity, is this the first time we've had a remaster that's effectively had two different versions made available? I really can't think of another situation like what we've seen here with the PS4/XB1/PC version and the Switch version.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Does the video comment on the god awful HD rumble implementation? Games like this where you have equips in both hands ought to be the games that get the best use out of the effects, but they instead tend to just crank up the high-pitched hard rumble instead.

I have actually noticed some well implemented HD rumble functions. Getting hit with lightning damage gives you the normal rumble from being hit but also leaves you with a low "tingling" effect for like 3-4 seconds afterwards which I thought was kinda nice.

I have set the HD rumble to 2 though, the default 10 is just ridiculously bad.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
The only reason there are no big improvements and audio quality is bad is that file size. It is 3.9GB so they can fit it on 4GB cartridge.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Out of curiosity, is this the first time we've had a remaster that's effectively had two different versions made available? I really can't think of another situation like what we've seen here with the PS4/XB1/PC version and the Switch version.

It depends on what you determine as a "remaster" but I'd argue that the Vita and PS3/360 versions of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection are quite different to one another. Not particularly in graphical fidelity (outside of resolution, of course) but more in controls and, well, the fact that the former version doesn't have Peace Walker.

The only reason there are no big improvements and audio quality is bad is that file size. It is 3.9GB so they can fit it on 4GB cartridge.

Nah, that doesn't excuse the massive drop as the 360 and original PC version (which included the DLC) were both under 4GB as well. It's an issue with Virtuos' other ports as well so this is likely a case of Virtuos not being able to do proper sound porting than simple compression.

It depends on what you determine as a "remaster" but I'd argue that the Vita and PS3/360 versions of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection are quite different to one another. Not particularly in graphical fidelity (outside of resolution, of course) but more in controls and, well, the fact that the former version doesn't have Peace Walker.
Hey, it's a technicality! But yeah, I'm more interested in the clear build differences that we see here.

As it's been pointed out, it's actually a little bit bigger than the PS3/360/PC versions, which had no audio issues to speak of.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't sound like that at all. It's still 720p portable and framerate is only slightly better while some effects are worse. Seems like a fair tradeoff, bur not sure how it's "much improved".
The framerate is significantly better. Like the original ran like a N64 game in Blighttown and this version barely drops frames. Also the original was below 720p so native 720p undocked is still an improvement there. Plus Vsync (no tearing). All this versus missing bloom in a fire effect.

This isn't tradeoff, that's a false equivalency. It's an objective visual upgrade overall.