Moves

Oct 27, 2017
If ps5 games are built to take advantage of the unique I/O architecture with the SSD, it makes sense you can't put them on external storage? Unless we're talking putting them there just for storage sake and not to boot games on it.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Audio Format Priority, there is an option for DTS or Dolby, if you leave in on Linear PCM does that not just make it automatic? Seems odd to have to switch back and forth.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Also a multi-account user, I'm glad to see they seem to pull games from all accounts into the library. I would always forget where I bought particular games of PS4 and would have to go digging through various accounts, logging in and out, it was a pain.

Volkama

Oct 30, 2017
Only 10 games are installed (and not the largest; yes, I know most of them are PS4 games and they can be moved) and the memory is already half full. Sony really should add cold storage ASAP. Other than that, everything else looks great, I can't wait to try it.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen it mentioned before and John said it it too that the menu is in HDR. Does this mean the system is always sending out an HDR signal, kind of how Apple TV was doing it? I'm hoping it'll switch back to SDR for SDR games because my tv has very different settings for each mode.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Heavily debating getting an external SSD for PS4 games now due to how everything is set up

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Enjoyed his video and he took his time to explain different stuff. I like the UI design and some of the new features, even though he didn't really show them. :)
Today I learned there are no folders. Why must Sony continue to move backwards at the start of each generation? Apparently no themes either? Regardless, I love how clean everything looks and how quickly everything opens.
People wanted a new UI/OS for that next gen moment and that's the downside. Stuff like folders and me now knowing how to develop is the reason I am team #keepTheOS and just enhance it. I haven't seen a video with the cool community feature of the PS4 either.

It's definitely to early to judge, but it seems like this is missing lots of features the PS4 had, which is unfortunate. I already hated this about PS4 and Xbox One back in the day.
If ps5 games are built to take advantage of the unique I/O architecture with the SSD, it makes sense you can't put them on external storage? Unless we're talking putting them there just for storage sake and not to boot games on it.
Yep, just to be able to copy them to the cold storage. Saves massively on bandwidth and depending on your connection and what drive you use to save the game on, is significantly faster than downloading the game again.

Last edited:

AndyB1974

Oct 25, 2017
As someone still using a 1080p display, disappointed to see no sign of a system supersampling option anywhere. Means we'll be stuck using native 1080p mode in games like RDR 2, RE 7 and Genshin Impact.

OldBenKenobi

Oct 25, 2017
So we have to wait another 3 years for folders again?

really hope not! I figure this time they would add updates to the UI faster since this is based on the ps4 OS with improvements.

Maybe this is why they also kept silent for so long about their UI, it's missing key features that were available on Ps4 and they didn't want backlash so soon.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time that a web browser has been confirmed for the PS5? Its the first time that i've seen it being shown/confirmed at least (shown in one of the settings menu). Good news for me, i use the PS4 web browser quite a bit, especially for Youtube.

Sony was literally silent for 6 months so that doesn't change the way they were. Glad we getting more news now but there is no way to can ignore that period of time they chose not to share shit.
Honest question, what was the issue with this? Besides curiousity reasons (wanting to see what the PS5 UI etc. looked like). Or do you just mean that its something that could be acknowledged in the regards that it was fair enough that people wanted to see this information earlier? If so, i see your point and i agree that its fair enough to want to see this earlier, even if its just for being curious about how the PS5 will be.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Sony was literally silent for 6 months so that doesn't change the way they were. Glad we getting more news now but there is no way to can ignore that period of time they chose not to share shit.

When were they silent for 6 months? They revealed new info almost every month.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
I think the ui is really slick. It can be improved, but feels fresh but familiar, also the game section seems similar to switch as already mentioned, not bad as long they allow further updates like folders (i find it difficult to integrate elegantly with the current icon distribution)

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
As someone still using a 1080p display, disappointed to see no sign of a system supersampling option anywhere. Means we'll be stuck using native 1080p mode in games like RDR 2, RE 7 and Genshin Impact.
I'm curious about this myself and have asked Dark1x for analysis. Perhaps the PS5 does this behind the scenes without presenting a user option?

Also, RE7 natively supersamples for 1080p displays.

Is this the first time that a web browser has been confirmed for the PS5? Its the first time that i've seen it being shown/confirmed at least (shown in one of the settings menu). Good news for me, i use the PS4 web browser quite a bit, especially for Youtube.
How come you don't use the YouTube app?

haklong

Oct 27, 2017
I did not quite get it.
Can you adjust HDR to work like it did on PS4? I hate how static content (like OS) looks in HDR and I don't want to run SDR games in HDR container.
Will I have to turn it on and off like I am doing in Windows 10?

I hope you can change that too. I can't even watch Netflix on my Xbox or PS4 because of that HDR container. First thing I disabled on my Apple TV 4K.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Folders and themes are gone

tumblr_mjomohl5Wn1rvj7ibo1_250.gif

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe this is only news to me, but you aren't allowed to back up saves via usb? I just read that in the DF article. I mean...what?

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY

Honest question, what was the issue with this? Besides curiousity reasons (wanting to see what the PS5 UI etc. looked like). Or do you just mean that its something that could be acknowledged in the regards that it was fair enough that people wanted to see this information earlier? If so, i see your point and i agree that its fair enough to want to see this earlier, even if its just for being curious about how the PS5 will be.
When were they silent for 6 months? They revealed new info almost every month.
Look up recency bias.

Now that we have news everyone is all gravy. Sure I am happy like you all I mean we now have constant news but its because its November. We are 1 week away from launch. People joked Sony would do this and they did lol.

But yea after their Feb Cerny talk we bare got jack. It was an unbearable period of time for all of us that wanted some semblance of the console. We weren't even asking for game drops, just anything. I mean MS had revealed the SX by last December.

(Were the Wired post and gdc thing that different?) It seem seemed like forever until we got some details on June. But it would take until late October to get further info as well so we have been waiting for a lot of things up until now.

I guess it doesn't matter now (again recency bias) but compared to PS4, we were held like a bunch of wet noodles for such a long time.

gifyku

Aug 17, 2020
the amount of water carrying for Sony omissions on this forum is frankly embarrassing. Corporations are not your friend for the 3452nd time.

If you are paying 499 bucks, expect better for features that are actually listed on the box. Hopefully my PS5 plays well with my Sony DN1080 receiver which has major problems with hdmi switching; dont want to have it compounded with PS5 hdmi weirdness on top

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This reminded me that really need to make a Japanese account. I'm always afraid I'm gonna get banned, even though I know a ton of people make regional accounts.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that I noticed was when he started up Miles Morales, it loaded instantly because he already had it up and running, similar to the way you can return to the home screen on PS4 and leave a game running in the background.

But I didn't see any kind of indication that the game was running like that? Nothing that pointed it out and would allow you to close the game like you could with PS4? Or does it just always keep your last game in memory until you play something else?

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
People are going to enjoy this thing a lot.

The QoL improvements are great. Yes, I'm aware of things that will be improved. Appreciate the greatness though.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Look up recency bias.

Now that we have news everyone is all gravy. Sure I am happy like you all I mean we now have constant news but its because its November. We are 1 week away from launch. People joked Sony would do this and they did lol.

But yea after their Feb Cerny talk we bare got jack. It was an unbearable period of time for all of us that wanted some semblance of the console. We weren't even asking for game drops, just anything. I mean MS had revealed the SX by last December.

(Were the Wired post and gdc thing that different?) It seem seemed like forever until we got some details on June. But it would take until late October to get further info as well so we have been waiting for a lot of things up until now.

I guess it doesn't matter now (again recency bias) but compared to PS4, we were held like a bunch of wet noodles for such a long time.

Mark Cerny talk was in March. They revealed the controller in April. Revealed the box in June. Another showcase in September. Revealed the UI in October. There was the teardown and box art and others minor reveals in between. Where's the 6 months of silence you're talking about?

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Some glaring omissions and odd choices aside, it looks at least usable. I'm guessing they just ran out of time. I'm hoping Sony are more active in the UX development this generation. Was extremely slow progress last gen.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
We need a PSA on this. I had to idea and randomly read this here.
I asked him to confirm it on Twitter. Once we get something more concrete, from someone who has a PS5, I don't mind starting a thread.

The only reason for changing this is so that people don't have their TVs flash between SDR and HDR so often but Sony should have an option in the settings.

AndyB1974

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about this myself and have asked Dark1x for analysis. Perhaps the PS5 does this behind the scenes without presenting a user option?

Also, RE7 natively supersamples for 1080p displays.

How come you don't use the YouTube app?
Weird, I played through and finished RE7 for the first time a few months ago and it wasn't natively downsampling then. Screenshots with system SS set to on look notably sharper in comparison and the fan kicks in, System SS set to off and fan is near silent. This was v1.06, maybe they've patched it since I played.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Today I learned there are no folders. Why must Sony continue to move backwards at the start of each generation? Apparently no themes either? Regardless, I love how clean everything looks and how quickly everything opens.

FFS Sony!! How hard is to keep in basic functionality like folders. How long will we have to wait to get back folders? Years??

nicoreese

Jan 18, 2018
One thing that I noticed was when he started up Miles Morales, it loaded instantly because he already had it up and running, similar to the way you can return to the home screen on PS4 and leave a game running in the background.

But I didn't see any kind of indication that the game was running like that? Nothing that pointed it out and would allow you to close the game like you could with PS4? Or does it just always keep your last game in memory until you play something else?

Yeah, no indicator. You can close games just like on PS4 with a press of the Options button and then "Close application", I saw that in another video. Also interesting to note: PS5 games don't have changelogs anymore in the UI.

Wil348

Oct 25, 2017
It all looks so quick and streamlined, I love it. Lack of folders and some other missing functionality is a shame but I'll live.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
Don't like that it seems to be the exact same file format and managing with a ps5 skin and a few new cool features like activity's that hopefully get used ?

the lack of any cold storage option and VRR just seem a ridiculous Thing to leave out I assume it's easily patched ?

giant bomb video mentioned how the "copying" is still a thing too when moving things around and patching although a lot quicker- does this also mean the needing way more space to download something than is actually needed is still a thing?

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Some glaring omissions and odd choices aside, it looks at least usable. I'm guessing they just ran out of time. I'm hoping Sony are more active in the UX development this generation. Was extremely slow progress last gen.

Agreed. And after a few years (maybe 3 or 4) it wound up mainly being just stability updates. It'd be nice to see continuous improvements instead.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Weird, I played through and finished RE7 for the first time a few months ago and it wasn't natively downsampling then. Screenshots with system SS set to on look notably sharper in comparison and the fan kicks in, System SS set to off and fan is near silent. This was v1.06, maybe they've patched it since I played.
It seems that game has 2 ways of downsampling... at 1080p it downsamples from 2240x1260, and I guess if you force downsampling it will downsample from the 1800p checkboard. The game does natively downsample though, this game just happens to downsample different depending if you force downsample or not. I've never seen any other game do this, so its interesting.

from VG tech " The PS4 Pro when outputting at 2160p renders at a resolution of 3200x1800 using what appears to be a form of checkerboard rendering. When outputting at 1080p the PS4 Pro version downsamples from a native resolution of 2240x1260 to 1920x1080. The PS4 Pro when outputting at 2160p has noticeably worse depth of field than the PS4 Pro outputting at 1080p."

nicoreese

Jan 18, 2018
One thing I wish for is a better organization of the library. It seems they still put game demos and Alpha/Beta versions in there. I would like a filter for that stuff like full games, demos, betas. John mentioned at 2:47 that games that have been played from disk, but are not currently installed, show up in the library as well. Hopefully you can delete them, otherwise you will end up with a huge library of non-existent games when you sell physical games after playing.

I'm also wondering if PS4's "Hide Item" option is still available on PS5, where you could click Options on a game in the library and hide that.

I also wish they would put stuff like PS+, media gallery and Remote Playing somewhere else instead of in the Games tab. Maybe a separate Apps tab in addition to Games and Media?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's largely fine, inoffensive UI. Not a fan of hwo some new elements like activity cards are displayed, it looks cluttered and way too confusing. Party management is still a mess too.

Did we ever find out if PS5 has something akin to Quick Resume, in that it can be used for multiple titles?