• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
great video, the game was very special visually

that console generation visually speaking was split into 2 halves for me

pre-KZ2 and post-KZ2

KZ2 was basically the beginning of what the rest of that gen was going to be striving for

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
That was pretty evident to me this year. I'm studying a lot of racing games from last gen (trying to build my own racing game), and the first thing I said when I booted my PS3 to play some Motorstorm, I said, holy shit i don't remember that much aliasing. Specially in the dust effects due to alpha transparencies.

Its pretty evident there's no AA solution in the first title. Just a raw pixel with some post effects (lens flare is pretty evident).
Motorstorm is actually 2*MSAA.
But as I said earlier, MSAA implementation back in those days were pretty terrible, especially at the onset of 7th gen because of introduction of new lighting techniques.

Alpha jaggies were common on PS3, due to bandwidth limitations. They tried to get around it by first rendering at a quarter resolution and then applying MSAA, but they were still really bad looking.
MSAA itself was an issue on PS3 due to bandwidth issue so for the most part it was absent in most PS3 games or seen in the form of QAA, in cases where Xbox games would have 4*MSAA the PS3 version likely had QAA/2*MSAA. And the alpha jaggies would be present due to the quarter resolution itself. Killzone 2 did a pretty decent job imo, iirc it did some sort of ditherring while rendering at quarter res then applied a gaussian blur to it.

One of the most fascinating ones was Heavenly Sword that had 4*MSAA on and 8*AF on PS3 while having an HDR lighting pass (LogLuv they called it, which was then built and improved upon in Uncharted and God of War games later on). Highly impressive but the game still looked rather jagged, blocky and muddy due to relatively poor assets.

MLAA was such a boon for PS3 last gen, think The Saboteur was the first game it popped up in. Funny enough, surprisingly a lot of people don't know that SMAA is basically enhanced MLAA that works on subpixel details.

Last edited:

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Great video, as always.

Really liked Killzone 2, 3 was fine as well and Liberation, but I actually never got into Killzone Shadowfall.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Great video as always, super well made and entertaining. Thanks John.

About the game, I never got around playing the SP but I played a LOT of the MP. I even got into the closed beta and I remember having a huge blast using the super overpowered rocket launcher, no pun intended.

Leveean

Nov 9, 2017
And the alpha jaggies would be present due to the quarter resolution itself. Killzone 2 did a pretty decent job imo, iirc it did some sort of ditherring while rendering at quarter res then applied a gaussian blur to it.
Unfortunately Killzone 3 had more transparencies at 1/16 res which doesn't hold up nearly as well. Then you had Gran Turismo 5 have all transparencies at 1/16 res and they turned into horrible distractions anytime they are on screen. A smart idea to render different parts of the scene at different resolutions but eventually it isn't worth the visual trade off..

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That was pretty evident to me this year. I'm studying a lot of racing games from last gen (trying to build my own racing game), and the first thing I said when I booted my PS3 to play some Motorstorm, I said, holy shit i don't remember that much aliasing. Specially in the dust effects due to alpha transparencies.

Its pretty evident there's no AA solution in the first title. Just a raw pixel with some post effects (lens flare is pretty evident).
Yeah, there weren't a lot of AA solutions available back then - much of what we see today simply didn't exist yet. It was usually MSAA or bust.

Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, there weren't a lot of AA solutions available back then - much of what we see today simply didn't exist yet. It was usually MSAA or bust.

Even this generation things could be rough near the start. 2016 and especially 2017 onwards feels like when people really started to nail image quality with better forms of TAA and such. Arkham Knight looks incredible but the IQ and maybe facial tech are the two points of weakness.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Once you get a hold of the heavy/control latency filled aim and movement, KZ2 is an absolute mad blast of fun experience on warzone!

TheForgotten

Oct 27, 2017
This game will always hold a special spot for me, This was the first time a game clicked for me with the online multiplayer.

I kinda want to replay the story again, but i lent it to a friend and never got it back. would of loved a remaster on PS4

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
After watching the full video , the game has aged extremely well.i feel it has aged better than.uncharted 2 or God of war 3 which were juggernauts .

That's a crazy accomplishment

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
One of the worst games I bought TBH, that lag was unforgivable and I remember some people selling it as "realistic". I didn't play it online, maybe that would have changed my opinion.

Acewon

Oct 2, 2018
Great video. It still looks good today, amazing atmosphere. I loved the multiplayer, warzone is such a great gamemode.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Always amuses me with Killzone that Joe Dever reused the Helghast name from his Lone Wolf series but changed what they are.

Apparently Sony once sent him a letter asking if he'd stolen the name from an old fantasy series lol

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately Killzone 3 had more transparencies at 1/16 res which doesn't hold up nearly as well. Then you had Gran Turismo 5 have all transparencies at 1/16 res and they turned into horrible distractions anytime they are on screen. A smart idea to render different parts of the scene at different resolutions but eventually it isn't worth the visual trade off..
Funny enough I don't remember much of Killzone 3. It was so forgettable. I am surprised to be reminded that Killzone 3 had more alpha heavy scenes because heavy smoke and particles are what I remember Killzone 2 for and I remember being disappointed in Killzone 3 for taking a step back in the area.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Most first person games don't render the gun and hands you see from the FP perspective in the game space but a virtual space.
Think of it as slapping a 2D animated UI on top of the overall image. It's why you can often get your nose up to the wall in FPS games and the gun doesn't disappears inside the wall and still looks disproportionate against objects upclose. Some games render the gun models in the game space itself and in those games you'd see the character lift the gun up or point it downwards when you are close to the wall.

Some games have an actual character model in the game world with basic animation so as to keep something grounded in the game world and then just delete the model and replace the hands and legs with virtual ones, so the animations of the gun/hands/legs you see is never in sync with the animation of the model that's actually present in the game that's casting shadow in the environment (battlefield games are an example of this, so is rainbow Six Siege). Some games don't bother with any of that and just have the gun and hands be visible and remove everything else from view and don't bother with fake legs either.

Whereas some games (very very few games) have the exact same model that's present in the game world be displayed from a first person perspective (Star Citizen)
I could kiss this paragraph.
Funny enough I don't remember much of Killzone 3. It was so forgettable. I am surprised to be reminded that Killzone 3 had more alpha heavy scenes because heavy smoke and particles are what I remember Killzone 2 for and I remember being disappointed in Killzone 3 for taking a step back in the area.

I only ever played KZ2 - so I was not missing much there in 3? I remember being disheartened that they reduced motion blur intensity and the near FOV depth of field intensity after they initially showed that ice level at its reveal. The game looked rad there.

Also, who does not love muzzleflash shadows? A game I think everyone should look at if they like the KZ2 feel is honestly metro exodus to a certain extent. Weighty movement, meaty guns and first person animation. It is just not clausterphobic at all like the previous games or KZ2. Well... most of the game at least.

I really think that KZ2 popularised near weapon depth of field when not in iron sights, which is something I love. Crysis 2 had it after KZ2, Metro 2033, Medal of Honor 2010, Wolf: TNO, Far Cry 3 I think, and probably countless other games.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Can't believe they didn't release a 1-3 trilogy remaster yet. They would look great today in 4K HDR. At this point I imagine that 1 would just need a complete remake.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Even this generation things could be rough near the start. 2016 and especially 2017 onwards feels like when people really started to nail image quality with better forms of TAA and such. Arkham Knight looks incredible but the IQ and maybe facial tech are the two points of weakness.
Well most games just used FXAA at the start, I think it wasn't until Infamous Second Son that we started to see a trend of using a temporal element with its SMAAT2x. Although Ryse used SMAAT1x and it was a launch title.

•79•

Banned
Sep 22, 2018
South West London, UK
Booted it up last night after watching this. I just can't get on with the controls. It feels muddy and loose. Trying to aim down sights feels like there's a weight dangling on a wire tied to the end of the barrel.

At least with Red Dead (and GTAV) you could adjust the dead zones and aim acceleration. No such luck here though.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

I only ever played KZ2 - so I was not missing much there in 3? I remember being disheartened that they reduced motion blur intensity and the near FOV depth of field intensity after they initially showed that ice level at its reveal. The game looked rad there.

Also, who does not love muzzleflash shadows? A game I think everyone should look at if they like the KZ2 feel is honestly metro exodus to a certain extent. Weighty movement, meaty guns and first person animation. It is just not clausterphobic at all like the previous games or KZ2. Well... most of the game at least.

I really think that KZ2 popularised near weapon depth of field when not in iron sights, which is something I love. Crysis 2 had it after KZ2, Metro 2033, Medal of Honor 2010, Wolf: TNO, and probably countless other games.
My issue with Killzone 3 was basically the reduced intensity of motion blur, the less persistent smoke, overabundance of daytime level (I really noticed the LDR lighting due to this), pared back destruction model, and disappointing multiplayer.

Also honestly, I hated Metro Exodus, but due to game design issues than anything else. Presentation wise it's phenomenal and I wish I had an rtx card.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I played through the first level the other day through ps now, it still looks great and I got hit with a ton of nostalgia as soon as the music kicked in in the menu. I'd jump on a remaster immediately.

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
This video was excellent and make me wanted more.

Just pop in my ps3 disc, unfortunately it pop disc error, ah damn

KZ3 running though

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Didnt F.E.A.R also have muzzleflash shadows? At least, as far as I remember, there would be a clone shadow techno dance whenever I got up close with a machine gun and went berserk.
Hell yeah it does. Doom 3 does too if you force the command. Maybe even the OG chronicles of riddick?

I wonder what the first game to have it was now. We have to do more "origin of effects" videos on DF - super fun to search out obscure titles with one little effect.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah it does. Doom 3 does too if you force the command. Maybe even the OG chronicles of riddick?

I wonder what the first game to have it was now. We have to do more "origin of effects" videos on DF - super fun to search out obscure titles with one little effect.
It's so bizarre that games still don't actively use something that's one of the most distinctive elements of shooting a weapon. So many current gen game don't even have the muzzle flashes as light sources, let alone have them cast shadows.

Oct 30, 2017
Ahhh the memories with this game.. still to this date one of the best FPS games I've ever played.

From Original Killzone to this, it was the work of god.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It's so bizarre that games still don't actively use something that's one of the most distinctive elements of shooting a weapon. So many current gen game don't even have the muzzle flashes as light sources, let alone have them cast shadows.
Yeah, Right?
I really also think it subconciously grounds your shooting in the world. Makes it feel less virtual and point and click always.

I adore it so much.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know I would be down for an "origins of effects" thing.

Seriously. So many of the little things started disappearing from games around that era, for performance reasons I guess. F.E.A.R's sequels never again had the bombastic light shows and particle effects, Crysis after 1 never had the same level of physics/destructibility, and as this video shows, KZ3 just didn't have all those extra flourishes 2 had. It sucks seeing it, games feel just that little extra ..... flat.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
LOved that game. SP and MP.
Had so much fun. I would love a remake or a sequel or prequel. Gritty.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not a huge KZ fan, but I rewatch that target trailer from time to time. It's still entertaining.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I know I would be down for an "origins of effects" thing.

Seriously. So many of the little things started disappearing from games around that era, for performance reasons I guess. F.E.A.R's sequels never again had the bombastic light shows and particle effects, Crysis after 1 never had the same level of physics/destructibility, and as this video shows, KZ3 just didn't have all those extra flourishes 2 had. It sucks seeing it, games feel just that little extra ..... flat.
I think it's more due to changes in design direction.
Look at Farcry 2, it has world simulation with growing foliage that you can break, etc but none of that in FC3 and even less in FC4...in FC5 it's completely absent and you can't even break something unless you run over it at which point it just disappears rather than physically breaking. No one goes for simulation anymore, it's why when a game goes for stylised simulation in BoTW it becomes revolutionary (granted it implemented the simulation into the game system itself in an interesting way, but it wasn't the first).

Crysis' destructability is a weird one, I think the latter games were more advanced in its destruction and foliage interaction but it didn't have the shanty houses to destroy. If you remember those shanty houses were the only destructible buildings in the game along with palm trees, they just repeated it over and over. I remember the foliage moving in the wind as a helo approaches in Crysis 3 and the shockwave from explosion affecting everything too.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, Killzone 2 was the reason why I purchased a PS3. I walked into a GameStop and saw the game running there, the graphical effects grabbed my attention and decided to go for a PS3 (had a 360 and Wii up until that point).

Since the PS3 wasn't new by then, I had the change to purchase a lot of great games for very little money (like uncharted 1, Dead Space and many others)

KZ2 was a cool technical showpiece for the time, but besides that I can't say I would replay it again or buy a remaster. Game itself is just ok imo

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Bluepoint games should handle a PS4 collection of KZ1 2 and 3. That would be amazing.

Let's not forget the amazing Killzone Mercenaries on Vita. That game is witchcraft compared to some of the games released on it (COUGH RESISTANCE)

Sep 12, 2018
There's a small circle of inmates who are working overtime to turn that asylum into the PlayStation subreddit that some once thought it to be, so expect things to get even sillier than they were back in those days.
Kinda hard topping the crap they were spouting and which Bishoptl eventually banned me for(I said there were no Killzone 2 for PS3 assets when they started claiming the trailer was ingame assets but sped up) he came back with concept art(for the cancelled PS2 version at that and banned me) )

Oct 25, 2017
Great video.

Killzone 2 was a great tech showcase, but gameplay-wise I really disliked the game.
I think I gave it a 4/10 on my HLTB.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

I really think that KZ2 popularised near weapon depth of field when not in iron sights, which is something I love. Crysis 2 had it after KZ2, Metro 2033, Medal of Honor 2010, Wolf: TNO, Far Cry 3 I think, and probably countless other games.

I knew you'd comment on the muzzle flash lol. It's true, it really adds so much to the presentation, and it's excellent in Metro.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more due to changes in design direction.
Look at Farcry 2, it has world simulation with growing foliage that you can break, etc but none of that in FC3 and even less in FC4...in FC5 it's completely absent and you can't even break something unless you run over it at which point it just disappears rather than physically breaking. No one goes for simulation anymore, it's why when a game goes for stylised simulation in BoTW it becomes revolutionary (granted it implemented the simulation into the game system itself in an interesting way, but it wasn't the first).

Crysis' destructability is a weird one, I think the latter games were more advanced in its destruction and foliage interaction but it didn't have the shanty houses to destroy. If you remember those shanty houses were the only destructible buildings in the game along with palm trees, they just repeated it over and over. I remember the foliage moving in the wind as a helo approaches in Crysis 3 and the shockwave from explosion affecting everything too.

Sure was cool riding a jeep up and off the hill only to land square on top of one of those shanties and squashing everyone inside :( Pretty sure Crysis 1 also had foliage blowing around heli's and their shockwaves.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
This reminds me - when Killzone 3 was revealed they totally released PC version screenshots hehe
10816987204_14ea1dd643_o.jpg

10816878286_dd9c0a916c_o.jpg

This was before they reduced motion blur intensity and near weapon depth of field intensity - which I think happened after the open beta. People like always complaining about that stuff even though they are W R O N G.

Does KZ3 have SSAO? I do not have a PS3 handy at all to check.