cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
That's not very much.

Fire Emblem Heroes made $10 million more from just 2 countries (US and Japan).
dragalia-lost-revenue-first-two-weeks.jpg

While Fire Emblem Heroes is by far, Nintendo's (not Niantic's) most successful mobile game, it's also pretty middling in terms of the overall market.
This doesn't seem apples to apples, though. This is counting "Player Spending". Didn't FE Heroes and Super Mario Run launch as paid products with MTX? I'm not actually that familiar, though.

Some people are also speculating that it might be delayed/canceled in China because the community manager criticized Winnie the Pooh.
Yea when this first popped up, I was like.. wait they got banned from social media?? I imagine it will be fine in one week's time.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
That's super low. That's no Genshin or FGO numbers.

Higher than Mario Kart, lower than Call of Duty. MK was 13m first week, COD was 17m first week, and Diablo was 14m. Pokemon Go was 50m and Genshin Impact was 60m, which I think might be the two highest first weeks ever.

There was no world in which this was ever going to compete with those two games. Not even two of the highest selling console franchises ever could do it.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Fire Emblem Heroes is F2P gacha.
Oh even at launch? I thought I remembered them messing with the model later on. Interesting. My bad.

FE Heroes, Nintendo's most successful mobile game by far has almost hit $1billion in February 2022, after 5 years. The equivalent of 16.6m full priced $60 games. Thanks to the iOS/Play Store 30% cuts, Nintendo actually took back ~$650m in revenue. Which is like 11m $60 sales. In comparison, Three Houses was the best selling FE game in franchise history and sold just over 3m copies [not all at full price].

I've not thought too much about mobile game economics, but it does seem interesting - and cut throat. Always on the knife's edge of relevance, even at the top, but there is certainly money to be made.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Compared to their overall spend relative to other successful mobile games such as Pokémon go this seems to be effectively nothing.

Note I don't dislike the game. I haven't played it yet.
I feel like if your initial point of comparison is Pokemon Go then saying it is "effecitvely nothing" overall is really disingenuous though.

I don't know how big Diablo is in China, doesn't feel like it is but maybe it will salvage the game. But at this moment, if you simply extrapolate the numbers for the full year, Diablo IV will make more revenue in the first year, and that's not why you move into predatory microtransaction-driven games. And while you need whales to drive revenue, instead of going viral DI received a ton of backlash, so not sure it can keep up it's launch revenue
I'm not entirely sure why people keep bringing up Diablo IV, it's a game that is coming out within the next year or whatever, what does that have to do with Diablo Immortals two week launch window? Is the point trying to be made that they should have not made DI and instead put additional resources/time into D4?

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I feel like if your initial point of comparison is Pokemon Go then saying it is "effecitvely nothing" overall is really disingenuous though.

I'm not entirely sure why people keep bringing up Diablo IV, it's a game that is coming out within the next year or whatever, what does that have to do with Diablo Immortals two week launch window? Is the point trying to be made that they should have not made DI and instead put additional resources/time into D4?

You can disagree with an opinion without either side being incorrect or non-genuine.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
You can disagree with an opinion without either side being incorrect or non-genuine.
I'm well aware.

I think it's inherently disingenuous to call DI's revenue "effectively nothing" and have the point of comparison be what is likely a top 1% grossing game in the history of mobile games(just a guess off the top of my head)

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
thats great for launch but lets see how they'll retain the flowing revenue overtime.
Many people in my server are starting to realize the difference between a F2P and whale in shadow war n other activities

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
If we do a dumb calculation it's like if the game sold 400,000 units in two weeks. Elden right did 12 million copies in a month.

Yea, this doesn't look that good (and I do know it's a dumb calculation on many levels, but still...)

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
If we do a dumb calculation it's like if the game sold 400,000 units in two weeks. Elden right did 12 million copies in a month.

Yea, this doesn't look that good (and I do know it's a dumb calculation on many levels, but still...)

the goal for games like this is to make hundreds of millions over years. again, Genshin Impact did 60m in a week. That's also not Elden Ring numbers, yet Genshin Impact has made multiple times more than Elden Ring by now.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
That's not very much.

Fire Emblem Heroes made $10 million more from just 2 countries (US and Japan).
dragalia-lost-revenue-first-two-weeks.jpg

While Fire Emblem Heroes is by far, Nintendo's (not Niantic's) most successful mobile game, it's also pretty middling in terms of the overall market.

FEH just released Summer Edelgard so it's about to triple that :p

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Blizzard still hasn't done any meaningful "communication" about the issues with the game, so they are either more than happy with how it's doing or they are all-in with China and that western money is just a nice bonus.

For what the game is and how hellbent everything is designed around forcing user engagement and monetization it feels quite weak.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
the goal for games like this is to make hundreds of millions over years. again, Genshin Impact did 60m in a week. That's also not Elden Ring numbers, yet Genshin Impact has made multiple times more than Elden Ring by now.

I just don't see the viability long term. Genshin has longevity, it took over cosplay scenes in anime conventions and has high social media engagement.

Diablo Immortal on the other hand is just bombarded by criticism from big youtubers and streamers which is just going to translate to negative words of mouth. Even after the barrage of initial bad press, it's the indifference towards this game that will eventually put the nail in its coffin.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see the viability long term. Genshin has longevity, it took over cosplay scenes in anime conventions and has high social media engagement.

Diablo Immortal on the other hand is just bombarded by criticism from big youtubers and streamers which is just going to translate to negative words of mouth. Even after the barrage of initial bad press, it's the indifference towards this game that will eventually put the nail in its coffin.

This will never be at the scale of Genshin. What they likely want to reach longterm is Call of Duty Mobile. Will this game recover from the bad press? No idea, but the launch numbers aren't really an indication of anything.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
24 million in 2 weeks is mad. The fuck you lot saying "not that great"???
I personally assumed the horrific, layered monetisation combined with the massive following for Diablo could have translated into a much bigger number. So while 24M is no pocket change figure, it also feels like there was potential for it to be sat in a better spot.

Instead of quitting the game and deleting it from my computer, I could have chosen to spend a little money if I thought what I was offered was fair and worthwhile, to support their efforts and allow me to continue playing and spending in an ongoing fashion. But they're way the wrong side of the line and should have done better; lived up to the game's appeal and legacy, and monetised parts of the game that don't interfere with the core looting/reward mechanics. Then that 24 number might have been larger and stay larger for longer, and the player base wider and the word of mouth less problematic.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
All I'm seeing is that they made back all of their investment and then some (likely) in 2 weeks. And most of what comes going forwrad is nearly pure profit.

That's all I'm seeing. And I'm sad.

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
LOL as much as i hate these kinda games its such an eye opener to see the chasm between the game enthusiast POV and the masses.

Anko

Oct 26, 2017
YuriLand
People comparing a gacha that literally takes seconds to roll against a gacha rift that takes 5 mins. Of course it's gonna be lower because it is slower. 24mil is crazy. Fuck this shit. I will never let myself fall into the gacha trap ever again.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
With more than 10 million players that revenue seems low.

Blizzard will probably make some changes on the microtransactions for the worst in future updates/content.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Great info.

I think Diablo Immortal is not only a flop but eastern market won't exactly bail it out too. It's not anime or moba for starters.

This flop plus the negative words of mouth will inevitably affect Diablo IV.

Blizzard isn't exactly an unknown in eastern markets, particularly China. And I assume that market is a major reason why Immortal exists in the first place.

It's likely not going to do Genshin numbers but it's a way too early to pronounce this a flop. The first week massive revenue almost never happens in mobile, regardless of the eventual success.

Manac0r

Oct 30, 2017
UK
DELETED - Was charged twice for two transactions - Blizzard said it was Google's problem, Google said it was Blizzard. Got bounced around like cheap piñata so yeah some of that $24 Million is mine.

Wolfapo

Dec 27, 2017
Playstore here (Android) and it has a 4.4 score from 562 thousand reviews
5 million downloads
It's 2.6 stars in Play Store in Germany at 600k reviews right now.
If it can't get 4+ stars in most important markets, it's not doing well. Not for this IP.

Would be interesting to see the comparison between regions in terms of Review scores. I think it is quite an interesting metric to see how acceptable the monetization is.

All I'm seeing is that they made back all of their investment and then some (likely) in 2 weeks. And most of what comes going forwrad is nearly pure profit.

That's all I'm seeing. And I'm sad.
I would be surprised if this game cost only $24 Mio. to make.
It's probably a lot higher and with the Marketing associated with it, I wouldn't be surprised if the costs were above $50 Mio.

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
I know who's never gonna spend a cent on a mobile game. Even if you release it on PC, it's still a mobile game so to me it doesnt exist.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
It may seem like a lot of money in a vacuum, but it really isn't compared to other game launches in the same gaming space. That's it. Considering the huge hit they took in PR, this turnout is really unimpressive.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There is a reason these types of games keep coming out, there are way too many rich people and people with gambling addictions these types of games prey upon. It's never going to end as long as people keep pumping money into them.
It is wild empires are built or maintained around these few these days.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It may seem like a lot of money in a vacuum, but it really isn't compared to other game launches in the same gaming space. That's it. Considering the huge hit they took in PR, this turnout is really unimpressive.

it's more than mario kart, which was considered a great launch. it's a few million less than call of duty, which was also considered a great launch. i mean yeah it's not on the level of Genshin, a generation defining game in terms of outreach, or Pokemon Go, which was also a generation defining game and played by EVERYONE.