• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Launch predictions

• Both smooth: minor hiccups, overall totally fine

Votes: 148 38.0%
  • Early: smooth, Full: rough

Votes: 72 18.5%
  • Early: rough, Full: smooth

Votes: 68 17.5%
  • Both rough: error 37, queues for hours, servers on fire

Votes: 101 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Amzin

Oct 25, 2017
Rares are still useful in D3 to upgrade them to random legendaries / sets but yea otherwise they are actually just the most inefficient way to get salvage mats.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There's no reason for rares to remain useful in the endgame. That wasn't the case in D2 or D3 after their expansions and patches.

It's one of those weird things - every Diablo game launches with rares being the best in slot in the end game, and everytime they change that because it simply isn't fun sorting through endless items and comparing stats constantly.

rares are definitely useful and can be better than dropped legendaries if you're trying to min max. you can ignore them as a casual player but no committed player is going to overlook the option of getting a 2/2 drop and the ability to perfect it

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
rares are definitely useful and can be better than dropped legendaries if you're trying to min max. you can ignore them as a casual player but no committed player is going to overlook the option of getting a 2/2 drop and the ability to perfect it
rares cant roll uber affixes or be masterworked so in the current iteration they are definitely useless

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
you get a perfect rare. you temper it and add a legendary affix to it and masterwork it. it can't have uber rolls but those are random drops and you're not going to keep on grinding them to get your build going. the uber gear only comes into play when you're trying to perfect your existing build.

rares will be less useful if you're looking to perfect your gear but not irrelevant to endgame by any means.

also this is a PTR and everything is subject to changes based on feedback and performance

Can you no longer turn a rare into a legendary with legendary aspects?

you can

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
you get a perfect rare. you temper it and add a legendary affix to it and masterwork it. it can't have uber rolls but those are random drops and you're not going to keep on grinding them to get your build going. the uber gear only comes into play when you're trying to perfect your existing build.
I think with the reduced affixes, you are pretty fast at that point. in the PTR I already am, I only look at legendaries with greater affixes, everything else does not interest me anymore
rares I don't think I ever looked at on the PTR, their only use in the endgame is salvage

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
rares I don't think I ever looked at on the PTR, their only use in the endgame is salvage

Honestly if there was an option to auto-salvage rare items once I felt like they were no longer useful I would love that. Or do like blue non-ancestral/sacred items did before where once you get to WT3/4 they no longer drop and you just get the mats from them that drop. Dunno how well that would work if it was a toggle for people to choose, though. Maybe make it take affect after you re-log or change WTs or something.

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I think with the reduced affixes, you are pretty fast at that point. in the PTR I already am, I only look at legendaries with greater affixes, everything else does not interest me anymore

Yes, PTR is a different story because you're starting at 100 and have access to infinite high tier legendary gear and crafting mats.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, PTR is a different story because you're starting at 100 and have access to infinite high tier legendary gear and crafting mats.
starting with season 4 you will only get ancestral 925 gear from monster level 95+, and you don't really start with a lot of mats on the PTR, I ran out in the first few minutes with testing the new systems a little bit.

obviously until you reach that point you will use rares, sure, at least in the weapon slots

the more I play the PTR the more I understand why they did thiy, though, it really is a lot more comfortable to identify good gear. you do not even need to check for good aspects anymore since they all go in the codex. it's really a great improvement
there comes a point where you can scarp all rares without looking at them, after that a point where you scrap all legendaries without greater affixes without looking at them
legendaries with greater affixes need different colors, though. that'r pretty much the biggest complaint I have so far with the itemization
crafting is way too expensive, though, but I feel thats because they increassed the legendary drop change for the PTR, in the live version you won't find so many good items you want to craft so fast

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that rares eventually become obsolete in the end game. I doubt it'll start that way, since you likely won't have perfect legendaries and the PTR won't show this if you're boosting to 100, since the end game starts well before that.

A big aspect of the update is to have less loot to examine and less time spent looking at loot. At a certain point, not having to look at rares or even legendaries is a good thing. We'll be looking for legendaries with the greater rolls, which they've made stand out when it drops. This is like the end-end game of loot though and before that I expect to still find rares worthwhile.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Necrobros what skills are must haves? First time playing. I hear bone spear is really good.
Corpse Tendrils and Corpse Explosion are incredible for crowd control and damage, respectively, and Blood Mist is one of if not the best defensive skill in the game. But I haven't played Necro since launch so my insight might be outdated.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
From watching most of the YT people it seems like the changes on the PTR are pretty good. Hopefully whatever theme S4 ends up being is fun and well done too.

I think I'll melt my eternal stash full of rares and legendaries, they'll all be obsolete after S4 so no point keeping any of them around.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
I'm a bit worried about the veiled crystals (the amount) when it comes to imprinting, rerolling, tempering, etc. while it is nice that they streamlined and limited costs (gold) for rerolling, the crystal costs seem out of hand. It's ok if you have to farm some stuff in order to get the best possible gear and everything, but I really don't want to farm days and days just to partially finish one character so to say. Together with the mats farming for Duriel/Andariel I don't think this will be a lot of fun (for me at least) and to be fair, Blizzard said that they will check their data and feedback and then decide if they make some adjustments to these values (so there is still hope). Also you just start out with a certain amount of mats on PTR, the experience will be different if you played from 1 to 100 maybe/hopefully. I know a certain amount of grind is part of these games, but I'm not the biggest fan, especially if you need one thing for everything you wanna do. Raxx had to create like 50 chars with deleting and boosting or more just to reroll some item values on one piece of gear... ;) I ran out of mats myself very quickly as well, couldn't even try everything I wanted or imprint aspects that I wanted on one chars (though I didn't create/del chars on PTR like Raxx did ^^).

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit worried about the veiled crystals (the amount) when it comes to imprinting, rerolling, tempering, etc. while it is nice that they streamlined and limited costs (gold) for rerolling, the crystal costs seem out of hand. It's ok if you have to farm some stuff in order to get the best possible gear and everything, but I really don't want to farm days and days just to partially finish one character so to say. Together with the mats farming for Duriel/Andariel I don't think this will be a lot of fun (for me at least) and to be fair, Blizzard said that they will check their data and feedback and then decide if they make some adjustments to these values (so there is still hope). Also you just start out with a certain amount of mats on PTR, the experience will be different if you played from 1 to 100 maybe/hopefully. I know a certain amount of grind is part of these games, but I'm not the biggest fan, especially if you need one thing for everything you wanna do. Raxx had to create like 50 chars with deleting and boosting or more just to reroll some item values on one piece of gear... ;) I ran out of mats myself very quickly as well, couldn't even try everything I wanted or imprint aspects that I wanted on one chars (though I didn't create/del chars on PTR like Raxx did ^^).

Every time I hit 100 I have had practically infinite veiled crystals. Pretty sure this won't be an issue unless it really costs way too much. This past season I have 1.6k crystals and I think that's on the low end.

Jun 1, 2021
it's always confused me when people worry about the veiled crystals economy. I too have always had plenty. Granted with the lower frequency of drops I'd hope Blizz have balanced around this. But I would presume they will just drop as frequently as they do now but just as pure drops rather than the need to salvage.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Every time I hit 100 I have had practically infinite veiled crystals. Pretty sure this won't be an issue unless it really costs way too much. This past season I have 1.6k crystals and I think that's on the low end.

it's always confused me when people worry about the veiled crystals economy. I too have always had plenty. Granted with the lower frequency of drops I'd hope Blizz have balanced around this. But I would presume they will just drop as frequently as they do now but just as pure drops rather than the need to salvage.

I feel like this past season I was pretty starved for crystals. I think S2 was better because you got loot vomits from the vampire activities but for this season I don't think the vaults have been near that level.

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I've only been playing for a few days but man this sucks not being able to connect to the servers. First time this has happened to me.

I have the house to myself and just want to drink some beers and kill shit.

šŸ˜¢

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I spent a lot more time on the PTR than I itended because the frozen orb sorc is so much fun
I changed my mind a bit about a few things
I am no longer concerned that rares are now instant salvage, I really appreciate it. it makes it so much easier and faster to identify items that are upgrades, sidegrades or salvage/sell. the only thing that is missing here is a better way to see what items have greater affixes, because these are the new chase and it's great, but you need to see them immediately on the ground, the map and in the inventory. apparently they will do that then the season launches.
of course this impression might change on live because the chance for legendaries is increased on the PTR.

the new endendgame is super grindy with the masterworking, but I suppose that is is the point. grind for a few hours for that little 1% more.

the rare material situation: I used to think it might be different on live when you have many of them from leveling, but I don't think that anymore because you really burn through them fast. since this is the biggest complaint from players I think they will nerf that, but I hope not too hard, because I still want to have a reason to do content outside the pit, especially because the helltides are really really good now. the frenzy mechanic is great, the hellborne are great, the mini events are great, the maiden boss is great and I am also really appreciating the MMO-lite aspect of the open world more and more. it's just cool to see other players and their builds.

I think the last fun content of the game are now the nightmare dungeons. the problem is of course you still need to do them for the glyphs.
I hope they do continue to make them more fun and maybe give them more rewards. I think something fitting would be a guaranteed aspect upgrade in the codex and a temper recipe.
they could do something with the legion events too.

all in all I am still very impressed that this massive overhaul of the game is already that big of an improvement in it's first test release. the "fixes" they need to do are just small, cosmetic and adjusted numbers.

I am actually the most excited about the tempering. tying this to recipes you find means they can add new, crazy and fun ones every season.
D4 does not have big skill trees like Last Epoch has, instead it ties the fun skill changes to the itemization, the unique and legendary aspects and now the tempering recipes. I like that a lot.

I also think I am going frozen orb again in season 4, first I planned necro, I might still do that, but frozen orb is incredible fun and devastating

Last edited:

ThatRebel

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Got the game through GamePass and enjoying it so far. Beat campaign with a tornado druid then rolled a season chain lightning sorcerer. Sorcerer definitely feels more fun. Hit 50 then jumped to W3 last night. My main experience is with D3 and it felt more concrete in what you were looking for as far as gear goes. This one, it feels like you're not looking for actual specific gear, just better gear to put your desired aspect on. Is that mostly correct or am I missing something?

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Got the game through GamePass and enjoying it so far. Beat campaign with a tornado druid then rolled a season chain lightning sorcerer. Sorcerer definitely feels more fun. Hit 50 then jumped to W3 last night. My main experience is with D3 and it felt more concrete in what you were looking for as far as gear goes. This one, it feels like you're not looking for actual specific gear, just better gear to put your desired aspect on. Is that mostly correct or am I missing something?
no to the first one, you definitely need spezific gear with spezific affixes, however there so so many of them that that takes a lot of time
yes to the second one, you look for good yellow items to put aspects on

both of that will change in may with a big itemisazion rework

Naru

May 11, 2019
New Game Pass player here as well. Played through the campaign with a Necro but thought it was pretty boring to play. Started a seasonal Rogue after that and skipped the campaign and the game is way more fun now. Both in play style and the freedom what you can do.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Started my first Diablo a few days ago and now at level 17. It's a great experience and combat/loot system is so addictive and I think it'll be one of those games that I'll play for +100 hours!
I have some questions:
1. Is there any ability to unlock for more dashes? I think I had 2 dashes a few hours after starting the game, but now I have only one again! Is it related to equipment and armors we use and some of them give more than a dash?
2. Is it possible to get coins to buy things from mtx shop with doing missions? Or we can get them only by paying real money?
3. I saw 2,3 characters with usernames(?!) in a location and we fought enemies together. Were they real gamers and I should expect that more? Just in unique places or it's possible to see random people in main missions too?

Ruthless

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
1. The mobility preset on your boots determine what you get - faster dash cooldown, multiple dashes, etc. Look for boots with '+2 dodge charges'.

2. You can earn some platinum (premium currency) from progressing the paid seasonal pass.

3. You will encounter them in open world locations apart from towns, but not in dungeons or when you're doing campaign missions.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1. The mobility preset on your boots determine what you get - faster dash cooldown, multiple dashes, etc. Look for boots with '+2 dodge charges'.

2. You can earn some platinum (premium currency) from progressing the paid seasonal pass.

3. You will encounter them in open world locations apart from towns, but not in dungeons or when you're doing campaign missions.
Thanks. I should pay attention more on items and their details, not just number of their main powers!

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Man we still have more than a month until S4, feels like S3 is dragging so much and lasting forever.

I might mess around with some of my eternal characters for fun while waiting for S4. Clean up my stashes to make room for the new items.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Just a question since I never played a Diablo game with seasonal content. After reaching level 50 you just continue the same stuff basically until you reach max level? I am asking because if there are 50 more levels to gain, there is no real reason to upgrade anything. I apply one or two needed aspects for my build and that is it. You still go through the gear so fast that there is no point to min/max anything. Right? This is the " mid or end game". Nightmare dungeons and the other stuff to level up and get up to date gear on the way to 100 that you will replace every few minutes or so?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just a question since I never played a Diablo game with seasonal content. After reaching level 50 you just continue the same stuff basically until you reach max level? I am asking because if there are 50 more levels to gain, there is no real reason to upgrade anything. I apply one or two needed aspects for my build and that is it. You still go through the gear so fast that there is no point to min/max anything. Right? This is the " mid or end game". Nightmare dungeons and the other stuff to level up and get up to date gear on the way to 100 that you will replace every few minutes or so?
The loot replacement cycle continues with notable curb from 50-70, though you'll want to finish the seasonal tasks and start focusing more on Tree of Whisper tasks, Helltide farming, Legion events, etc so you can build up an ample supply of materials to summon the bosses in endgame, around level 80+.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
is this game just completely borked on gamepass?

Installed it, was playing fine. Came back later... "An internal error occured", tried a half dozen fixes.

Reinstalling now, but not a good start...

EDIT: re-install worked, hopefully that won't happen again!

Last edited:

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Been playing this through game pass, the campaign has a ridiculously slow start but picks up the pace a lot towards the end. Looking forward to getting into the post-game stuff.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there some kind of glitch going on with seasonal activities giving grim favors that doesn't seem to count when you kill enemies or complete objectives? Played twice today where the counter for killing 100 constructs kept resetting and where I had to kill an herald twice when you only need to kill it once... Never had this issue when I played earlier when the season was brand new.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I started a Barbarian and chose the recommended Seasonal option. This is my first time playing. My character will move to the Eternal realm at the end of the season right?

Not too worried about this for now as I'm just enjoying the gameplay, but I'm a big fan of transmog and visual customization, is there good looking free gear to chase? I had a look through some articles and videos of Barbarian outfits you can find in-game but none of them even come close to the paid skins (which are all so expensive).

Anyone got any examples of their free transmog Barbarians at all? Would love to see what's possible here without spending.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I started a Barbarian and chose the recommended Seasonal option. This is my first time playing. My character will move to the Eternal realm at the end of the season right?

Not too worried about this for now as I'm just enjoying the gameplay, but I'm a big fan of transmog and visual customization, is there good looking free gear to chase? I had a look through some articles and videos of Barbarian outfits you can find in-game but none of them even come close to the paid skins (which are all so expensive).

Anyone got any examples of their free transmog Barbarians at all? Would love to see what's possible here without spending.
I'd recommend to not spend anything, at least until you unlocked all the free transmogs by salvaging the gear you find.
when the game released, I'd say the free transmogs were just as good as the paid ones. they just added almost 0 free new ones and tons of paid ones over the year. the paid ones are certainly flashier, but that does not mean better.
this is my free transmog from back in the beta. but you should find them all on youtube
5vVV0v2.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'd recommend to not spend anything, at least until you unlocked all the free transmogs by salvaging the gear you find.
when the game released, I'd say the free transmogs were just as good as the paid ones. they just added almost 0 free new ones and tons of paid ones over the year. the paid ones are certainly flashier, but that does not mean better.
this is my free transmog from back in the beta. but you should find them all on youtube
5vVV0v2.png
Oh I'm not buying anything at these prices, just want to know if there's anything I like to work toward.

I've found some videos and articles as I said, but not sure if they're comprehensive.

The above is pretty nice, thanks for sharing.

Sasha Nein

Oct 29, 2017
Is there some kind of glitch going on with seasonal activities giving grim favors that doesn't seem to count when you kill enemies or complete objectives? Played twice today where the counter for killing 100 constructs kept resetting and where I had to kill an herald twice when you only need to kill it once... Never had this issue when I played earlier when the season was brand new.

Yes, unfortunately it does seem pretty buggy. Had this happen a few times, where the icons on the map (or the text on them) are flickering. It's as if the game thinks there is an objective to do, so you get like 3/100, and then the objective disappears. It re-appears and therefore your progress has reset. It seems to happen for all of the Tree of Whisper objectives in one area. I found going to a different area fixed it sometimes.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been playing tons of Diablo 4 since it hit Gamepass and just now remembered gaming hangouts exists. Playing a Barbarian and having a lot of fun. Did the capstone to wt4 a few days ago at 66 and now that I'm 73, just starting to reliably survive in wt4 without getting exploded by ranged but it still gets hairy sometimes in big groups.

Haven't messed with the season story much since finishing the campaign, just clearing out the map. I missed like 90% of the Lilith altars so doing that and trying to finish renown for the paragon points before season 4.

Is it worth doing the campaign story at this point?

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, sorry, meant the seasonal story. I've done a bit of it but mostly been filling out the stones with the world content. With less than a month to go, wondering if Its worth messing with. I guess it's the only chance to do it though
Yeah, it's definitely worth a play through. I rather enjoy the plots, but with there was more to it.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I am currently playing though the campaign and am at level 41. I have some exotic armor with very useful perks that is becoming increasing underpowered. Is there any system in the game to either transfer those perks to new armor or to increase the base of these armor pieces (beyond upgrading at the blacksmith)?