Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
After the newest trailer showed off a lot of references to KH3D and KH BBS I've seen a small section of comments decrying these inclusions

"Why are they acknowledging all these people I don't give a shit about?"

I mean what did you expect? That the games would simply ignore all the plot developments in those games because you thought they were spinoffs unrelated to the "main games"?

Even Kingdom Hearts II picks up where a non numbered entry left off

hqdefault.jpg

14.jpg

And this applies to many other franchises, I find it weird. Why would they spend so much time building stuff up just to ditch it?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
There's a collection with basically all the games out on PS3 and Ps4. They didn't spend a decade building up the story to ditch it. KH2 focuses heavily on the GBA game so it's not like it's new to the franchise.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
People think because there's no "number" behind the entry, it's not canon or some bullshit side story.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People over estimate how much that stuff matters.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird to expact that because CoM was clearly a KH1 sequel while 3D majorly move the plot about almost everyone in preparation to KH3.

In fact, only Re:Coded didn't add a whole lot about KH's story

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I presumed everything in the 1.5/2.5 remasters would matter, why else would they bother?

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Wasn't COM something Nomura hadn't planned on and just decided to make it the story of how Sora ended up in the cocoon thing anyway?

Regardless, they shouldn't call it Kingdom Hearts 3 if it'll be a requirement to play the non-numbered games. However, I'm guessing they'll be able to summarize it like they did the first game and COM in KH2, so people are jumping the gun.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CoM and BBS are legit sequels. They could have actually carried a number if they wanted them too.

But DDD is something you can read the Wiki about though. Important stuff happens but not a lot of it. It's also not a very good game.

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People over estimate how much that stuff matters.

It certainly matters on an emotional level which is a big thing considering this is a series that loves pulling people's heartstrings. That scene with Vanitas and Sora in the trailers means absolutely nothing to people who didn't play BBS while it was amazing for everyone who did.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
I only played the numbered entries because I wasn't invested in that story enough to play the mobile games.

If KH3 plays heavily on the events of those games, then I'm not gonna bother picking up the game since I would just be lost.

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that there's precedent for a bad story telling thing is not a good justification for it.

Like 1/6 of people who will buy KH3 will have played BBS or DDD and they're going to be really confused by the story.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
KH3 definitely can't just write off non-numbered entries into the series. Everything is so insanely interwoven.

I haven't played through a single entry all the way, but I can tell there is no "spin-offs" in Kindom Hearts. Each entry adds more to the plot or background, but also seems to create more plot issues which then need to be addressed in a future entry.

hank_tree

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It certainly matters on an emotional level which is a big thing considering this is a series that loves pulling people's heartstrings. That scene with Vanitas and Sora in the trailers means absolutely nothing to people who didn't play BBS while it was amazing for everyone who did.

Sure. I didn't say it was meaningless. Just less important than people tend to claim here and elsewhere in the internet.

Kucan

Nov 4, 2017

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You are correct. For the people whose last game played was KH2, they will feel confused, but I think that is acceptable since Sora is also confused within the scene after saying Vanitas's name.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It is what it is. I don't know why anyone would defend it like it isn't convoluted as fuck but it is what it is.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sora, Donald and Goofy do not know who he is, so it doesn't really matter. If you played CoM, you get the added benefit of that history, but if you only played KH2, that's fine too.

Except Riku remembers everything and it's even implied that the Riku Replica might return as well.

And? I guarantee anyone who plays KH3 will be just fine skipping Chain of Memories.

You really don't think they might be just slightly curious where half of these people are coming from?

Why that one guy looks like an evil Sora, why are there two Roxas', or how half the Orginization is even alive and not evil anymore?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Except Riku remembers everything and it's even implied that the Riku Replica might return as well.
We're not going to be following Riku all game, so I don't think this is a big deal.

You really don't think they might be just slightly curious where half of these people are coming from?

Why that one guy looks like an evil Sora, why are there two Roxas', or how half the Orginization is even alive and not evil anymore?
They'll be as curious as Sora is, and they will get an explanation just like Sora

Deleted member 4609

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that there's precedent for a bad story telling thing is not a good justification for it.

Like 1/6 of people who will buy KH3 will have played BBS or DDD and they're going to be really confused by the story.

So if they renamed KH3 to KH6 would it suddenly stop being a bad story telling thing? These games have never been marketed as spin-offs and they've made quite an effort to have them available on the most relevant modern platforms to the release of KH3 (lol XBO though). Not exactly their fault that people have dumb prejudices about sequels, though releasing them on such an absurd array of platforms originally is.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that people with that kind of opinion still exists after all of those years is crazy, It's pretty known right now that there's no spin-off in the series and the only difference between the numbered ones and the others is that the numbered get number because they are on consoles and the others get subtitles because they are in handheld

I played all the games and I understand plenty well the story. It's really simple to comprehend the basics of it and even the most advanced part.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
DDD is something you can read the Wiki about though. Important stuff happens but not a lot of it. It's also not a very good game.

I've seen this a few times today and I'm sort of glad. I could not get into DDD despite TWEWY being my favorite game in the last 12 years and also loving Tron. It remains with Recoded as the only non mobile KH games I've not beat.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
If you're asking why people wanted/thought that it's because the story is a cluster-f if you include them all.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit don't know what to expect from the story of KH3.

I've only played 1, 2 and Birth By Sleep(and 2.8) each of them at release time. I've heard that the bigger picture is a mess but I just hope they don't overcomplicate things too much.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're asking why people wanted/thought that it's because the story is a cluster-f if you include them all.

The story always included them, including in KH3. There's 0 reason for it not appearing in 3. If you guys think like that, you need some common sense since this is being build for years now.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i wouldn't mind if the handheld games weren't so poor, the HD collection just shows how bare bones they are compared to the main 2

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I didn't say it was meaningless. Just less important than people tend to claim here and elsewhere in the internet.

The story has never been that important because it's not like the actual games are complex. People can easily read a story summary for BBS or 3D and get caught it and be fine. The problem comes for the fact that text doesn't provide any emotional attachment towards characters and scenarios which is why people recommend to play every game or at least watch the cut scenes movies if you really want to get the most out of KH3.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
DDD is the direct lead-in to KH3 and very important to the story. If you're not going to play it, you should at least watch a movie version on youtube.

RichieMythic

Oct 27, 2017
England, UK
I only played the numbered entries because I wasn't invested in that story enough to play the mobile games.

If KH3 plays heavily on the events of those games, then I'm not gonna bother picking up the game since I would just be lost.

Yeah, I was thrown for a bit of a loop with Kingdom Hearts 2 but managed to just about it understand it by the end. If they pull the same thing with KH3 though I'll give it a miss, I don't have the time or will to sift through mobile games to understand the plot of what is ostensibly supposed to be a "1-2-3" series.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Having never played any but the mainline games, I'm replaying the series right now and watching the trailers i have no clue what the hell is going on

At this point, this shit doesnt matter to me...its Final Fantasy x Disney
It still boggles my mind and i'm grateful this is still a series

Last edited:

Azuran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was thrown for a bit of a loop with Kingdom Hearts 2 but managed to just about it understand it by the end. If they pull the same thing with KH3 though I'll give it a miss, I don't have the time or will to sift through mobile games to understand the plot of what is ostensibly supposed to be a "1-2-3" series.

It's never been a 1-2-3 series.

KH3 is actually Kingdom Hearts 10

Oct 26, 2017
So if they renamed KH3 to KH6 would it suddenly stop being a bad story telling thing? These games have never been marketed as spin-offs and they've made quite an effort to have them available on the most relevant modern platforms to the release of KH3 (lol XBO though). Not exactly their fault that people have dumb prejudices about sequels, though releasing them on such an absurd array of platforms originally is.

The entire problem was all the platforms. Collection remakes never sell as much as original games and BBS was sold on the PSP when software sales on PSP had fallen off a cliff outside of Japan. Not many people are going to have any idea of what happened in BBS because few people bought it.

It would be like Avengers 6 being based heavily on a 2015 Hulu exclusive movie.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I'm legit don't know what to expect from the story of KH3.

I've only played 1, 2 and Birth By Sleep(and 2.8) each of them at release time. I've heard that the bigger picture is a mess but I just hope they don't overcomplicate things too much.
Watch the new D23 trailers, both Monsters Inc and the theme song trailer. They give a better picture of what we can expect the story to be like.

Nomura also said it will tie up everything in 1.5 + 2.5 and 2.8 and every character will get a conclusion, no loose ends, no plot holes, no cliffhangers.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The story always included them, including in KH3. There's 0 reason for it not appearing in 3. If you guys think like that, you need some common sense since this is being build for years now.

Well I would ask that you hold off on the "you guys need some common sense" angry thing. The story really is a confusing mess (even if you have played the games in question) regardless of how long it's been in the works. Considering if you only played the numbered games you would need 160 hours+ of external content and an additional guide to explain it all that can be a bit intimidating. At least for me I'm not upset they're including it but I think it would have been better off had they not have and was holding out a tiny bit of hope that they wouldn't.

Last edited:

Neufr0

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah the important part of 3D's story is nearly at the end. You can just spoil yourself everything on wikipedia.
3D
That time travel bullshit tho

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is this game has to be accessible for newcomers if its a confusing mess its not gonna sell that well

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
At the end of the day you can jump into KH3 even if you only played the numbered titles. Of course you will be missing out on a bunch of stuff but 1) they most certainly will have some sort of summaries for people who want to read them (DDD and 0.2 both had that type of thing, KH3 certainly will with a ton of people jumping in) and 2) it's not exactly GRRM tier of character depth. It's obvious who the clear good guys and bad guys are and you can take it as it comes.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
The fans are responsible to a large degree. I can't even begin to describe the amount of "You dont really need to play that game" that is said for some very important games in the series.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
The thing is this game has to be accessible for newcomers if its a confusing mess its not gonna sell that well
You underestimate the fanbase. It's going to be one of the top sellers of the holiday season, I guarantee it. They released 1.5 + 2.5 and 2.8 for the purpose of catching up on the story before KH3.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People will only know if it's a confusing mess or not if they buy it, which will count for the sales. KH3 is absolutely going to surpass the past ones in console because of Disney and Pixar appeal along KH hardcore fans and old fans that played only the first and second.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the new D23 trailers, both Monsters Inc and the theme song trailer. They give a better picture of what we can expect the story to be like.

I watched both of them and it seems okay for the most part

I have no idea who the dude with the pink hair from organisation 13 is tho.

and neither does Sora

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I love it when game series have a full-blown continuous story without feeling the need to start every new game with a clean slate. I feel like that is really rare in games, because a sequel has to always account for new players. But series like KH and MGS are just like "Fuck you, play every game!" and I love it. Especially now that every KH game is on one console there is no excuse.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I watched both of them and it seems okay for the most part

I have no idea who the dude with the pink hair from organisation 13 is tho.
He's from Chain of Memories, Marluxia. He was the mastermind of the organization before we learned who Xemnas was. He was one of the first few organization members killed but basically:

He forced Naminè to rewrite Sora's memories (or said he would force her to be locked away lonely with no one) and made a fake evil clone of Riku named Riku Replica. They've been hinting at Marluxia returning for quite some time, behind Axel he was one of the fan's favorite organization members. In the D23 trailer, Riku says "The other me" and that might be strongly hinting at Riku Replica making a return.

Sora doesn't remember Marluxia because Naminè erased his memories from Castle Oblivion. But they've hinted that somehow he could get those memories back because they're still inside his heart or something.

Last edited:

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I just feel bad for the poor Xbox One players. At least everyone who has the PS4 has an option to play all the games. Tbh, though, aside from Dream Drop Distance messing things up I really wouldn't say the series was THAT convoluted. A little, sure, but easily enough to understand after a paragraph or two.