Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
I just feel bad for the poor Xbox One players. At least everyone who has the PS4 has an option to play all the games. Tbh, though, aside from Dream Drop Distance messing things up I really wouldn't say the series was THAT convoluted. A little, sure, but easily enough to understand after a paragraph or two.
I'm an Xbox One player (to support the KH franchise on a new platform obviously and if it ever comes to PC I will buy it even though I don't have a gaming PC to support it on new platforms) but I played all previous games. But yeah I understand, not everyone played them.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You really don't think they might be just slightly curious where half of these people are coming from?

Why that one guy looks like an evil Sora, why are there two Roxas', or how half the Orginization is even alive and not evil anymore?

Yeah if they are curious they can go back. But it's not required reading ahead of time.

pqvqs

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I understand that the release on mutiple portable consoles was a painel for people that didn't like/have those. But they kinda of fixed that with the collections.

But I do have a question for the people arguing the "spin-offs" should be left aside: should a company give the finger to their fans who have been buying all their games and hoping to see the conclusion of the story they've been following for years just so that potencial new players don't feel left out?

Of course I'm ignoring that this is a Nomura game and that he does whatever the hell he wants with his games. Which is the reason that some people like him and some don't imo.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I understand that the release on mutiple portable consoles was a painel for people that didn't like/have those. But they kinda of fixed that with the collections.

But I do have a question for the people arguing the "spin-offs" should be left aside: should a company give the finger to their fans who have been buying all their games and hoping to see the conclusion of the story they've been following for years just so that potencial new players don't feel left out?

Of course I'm ignoring that this is a Nomura game and that he does whatever the hell he wants with his games. Which is the reason that some people like him and some don't imo.

The company gave you the finger the moment they pushed fans to buy multiple systems to tell fragmented stories. I am absolutely certain it will hardly matter to comprehend KH3 outside of the flavor text

Rai_11

Nov 7, 2017
I remember when Nomura literally referred to BBS as KH 0. So basically at that moment I told my friend (also a huge KH fan, but not as big as me), to STFU and play it.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Playing the other games isn't going to make the story make any more sense. Trust me, I went through the whole PS4 collection. Just finished Dream drop, it doesn't get less murky.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
I doubt most people saying this had much interest in the game in the first place. It's just one more thing you can whine about on message boards.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I just feel bad for the poor Xbox One players. At least everyone who has the PS4 has an option to play all the games. Tbh, though, aside from Dream Drop Distance messing things up I really wouldn't say the series was THAT convoluted. A little, sure, but easily enough to understand after a paragraph or two.
what's never made sense to me is all these remasters that are exclusive on Ps4. If the next full fledged installment is multiplatform then why aren't the remasters?

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
Playing the other games isn't going to make the story make any more sense. Trust me, I went through the whole PS4 collection. Just finished Dream drop, it doesn't get less murky.

And I just went through the collection and, aside from a few plot holes, feel like I understand everything fairly well. I'm not suggesting that the story is simple; Dream Drop Distance alone puts that idea to rest. But the plot only becomes complex when it's attempting to justify really, really goofy story elements. I'd forgive you if you didn't understand why Nobodies return to their normal selves after being defeated, but if you played through the whole collection I'm sure you understand the most important character arcs. There's no way you missed the importance of Namine's regrets in Chain of Memories, Axel's realization in 358/2, or Aqua's depression following BBS. None of these are really addressed in KH1 or KH2 and I highly doubt a couple summary paragraphs will be enough.

Of course, all of this only matters if you care about the story of Kingdom Hearts. If you only give a damn about the gameplay then I could see why you wouldn't be worried about playing all the side games.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Way more than half of the story is in COM/Days/BBS/DDD They're probably more important than KH2 was.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017

It's weird that they couldn't put either of the collections on Xbox One. I'm gonna hop in having never played any of the franchise before. It's gonna be a glorious mess.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Yep. Same thing happened with Metal Gear Solid and Snake Eater, the game became about the prequel.
That was exactly the comparison I was thinking of. Portable Ops (Never understood if it was canon or not, but either way, it's definitely piggybacking off of MGS3) , 4, Peace Walker... hell, even 0.2 is pretty much Ground Zeroes: KH Edition.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that they couldn't put either of the collections on Xbox One. I'm gonna hop in having never played any of the franchise before. It's gonna be a glorious mess.
I feel like the Xbone version is doomed to fail or at least undersell. They haven't done much to build a KH audience on that platform

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Re:coded is the only one I go...ehh, you don't even have to look this one up.

DDD...shitty worlds and questionable decisions aside is very important to the story.

Days...isn't super important but its a movie on the recent collections anyways.

BBS...is literally the basis of the entire franchise at this point.

CoM...is very important to KH2 and a lot of the nonsense that happens in DDD.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that honestly cares enough about KH's story to complain should have known how important 3D and BBS were to begin with.

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 3 is more of a sequel to Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance than it is to Kingdom Hearts 2 (especially since we've had 2.8 sequels to KH2 released over the years).

Those who ignore the other games or still think they aren't important are not going to like KH3 because it is a game that isn't really being catered to them. I mean, this trailer had characters from CoM and Birth by Sleep, and touched upon where one of those characters is now residing. Those games are important, y'all!

Macs

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No, but i didn't expect Square to exclusively put the last 10 years of the story of such a famous franchise on games for handheld systems.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
No, but i didn't expect Square to exclusively put the last 10 years of the story of such a famous franchise on games for handheld systems.
Might be misinterpreting what you're saying, but Square hasn't kept the last "10 years of the story" exclusive to handhelds. Those games are available on PS3 / PS4 right now.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
This shouldn't be a problem. They released 1.5, 2.5, and 2.8 for a very obvious reason.

Jan 11, 2018
I don't get how you can claim to be interested in this series and not at the very least have also played Birth by Sleep. Bigger game than KH1 and more original worlds and content than KH2.

(It's also the best KH game by far, imo).

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
i agree OP. Every title outside of coded is super important. i've seen RECOM, birth by sleep, DDD and KH2 all referenced in this one trailer alone

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
One hopes they'll at least include a recap. I have no interest in playing the side games.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The non-numbered entries have a lot more significance than you'd expect from any series. Even the mobile game has as much story relevance as something like 358/2.

Other series tend to fill in the gaps with books (Witcher and Halo probably being the biggest examples)

Macs

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Might be misinterpreting what you're saying, but Square hasn't kept the last "10 years of the story" exclusive to handhelds. Those games are available on PS3 / PS4 right now.

Sorry, should have been more clear. What i meant is i never understood why Square waited 10 years to make a new numbered entry for main systems, and instead focused on continuing the story on handhelds.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd basically be kidding yourself if you have a grasp of the story with only playing 1 and 2 when 3 is gonna include stuff from the other titles as well. We got the collection for a reason.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Actually I expected Kingdom Hearts III to grab my controller and beat the living daylights out of me over the head for not playing the non-numbered entries lol.

Good thing I did!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I expected the non-numbered games to tie into III once I saw how much CoM (and ReCoM) tied into II.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's Disney, it should be simple, you shouldn't need to follow 3 collections to understand what's going on. The games should be more stand alone actually.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I will continue to do what I have always done when I pick up a Kingdom Hearts game: button through the story bits as quickly as I can so I can get to the gameplay. I'd prefer if KH3 didn't address any of the non-numbered games (in service of presenting a story that is even remotely accessible), but I never expected that to be the case. I've made my peace with that.

malyse

Community Resetter
CoM and BBS are legit sequels. They could have actually carried a number if they wanted them too.

But DDD is something you can read the Wiki about though. Important stuff happens but not a lot of it. It's also not a very good game.
What level of trolling is this? Skip CoM not DDD.
The thing is this game has to be accessible for newcomers if its a confusing mess its not gonna sell that well
Actually all they need to do to sell well is have a trailer with Frozen in it.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, should have been more clear. What i meant is i never understood why Square waited 10 years to make a new numbered entry for main systems, and instead focused on continuing the story on handhelds.
The main dev team for Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts 2 were caught up with Versus XIII. They had to go help XIII and XIV when those games were in dev so Nomura, to continue the KH series, had to work with other studios to develop the games. The studio making non-DS games, the Osaka team, only had PS1 / PS2 / and handheld game experience and worked on BbS (stopping to remake Re:Chain of Memories for the PS2 its 2007 release) and then in Dream Drop Distance.

After the fiasco of Versus XIII, that studio was still caught up with Final Fantasy XV and so Square Enix and Nomura decided to make the Osaka team the official Kingdom Hearts team and they finally green lit Kingdom Hearts 3. It is the first console game they have developed since Re:Chain of Memories for the PS2 so there has been a big learning curve but they have done well so far.

So yeah, basically there was no HD console dev team available so Nomura just worked on with other dev teams until it was time for KH3.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

I'm convinced Square doesn't care about the sales of that version. At least release the remasters digitally. No excuse not to, and at this point they've lost the right to complain about poor Xbox sales.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I didn't expect it.

Luckily I'm probably past really caring. The story is ridiculous anyway, so I'll just be along for the ride. I'm there for whimsical nature of the games, the Disney shit, FF cameos, and the fan service.

All that keyblade war bullshit and Sora's power of friendship crap... I think I'm too old to care. This game took for fucking ever to come out, and I have outgrown the hype.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Give me a lengthy cut scene summing stuff up and I'll be good.

And why do people feel bad for the "Xbox one players" when they probably have ps4's as well. (especially on this site)

I purchased the HD remix of 1&2
I have zero interest in the other games on that disc.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I think people are used to meaningless spin offs in Western properties that have no connection to the main story. The Kingdom Hearts series is basically an anime with non linear storytelling elements (358/2 Days and Birth by Sleep) that is told across various consoles and games. That's the deal. You can't complain that you didn't have a GBA or PSP especially now that all those game stories have appeared in Final Mixes.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
If KH3 tries to deal with that shit in any detailed way , it won't have any story of its own.

There isnt enough time or resources in one game to address that mountain of BS.

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why wouldnt they think that? Even playing all the main games and skipping stuff like coded and 358/2, Kingdom Hearts 3 is the sixth game in the series despite having a 3 on the cover.

Its not like it matters to the sales or fambase. KH2 starts after Chain of Memories changed the status quo of most major characters, killed half of organization 13, and introduced major characters like Axel. Plenty of people just figure it out.