• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
It would have been better had the game not used the 2D Mario schtick so much before.

I still got emotional though. Theres something about unbridled happiness in certain games that makes me emotional.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I definitely didn't cry, sorry OP, but it was a great moment and one of the most memorable from Odyssey.

Still a bit bitter that the New Donk level in Smash doesn't really reference the festival as much as it could have.

Cocolina

Oct 28, 2017
When the camera pulls back and I saw that I'm actually playing through Donkey Kong I felt a sense of elation that I hadn't felt before. But I didn't cry. I've never cried at a video game.

Oct 25, 2017
No. I thought the sequence was pretty unremarkable. I sniffled playing Champion's Road in 3D World though. That was much better.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I did not cry, but yes it did get me a tad bit emotional considering I have been player Mario games since I was old enough to pick up a controller starting with the NES original.

The ending sequence with Bowser got me pretty good, too.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
No, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It was cool, and nostalgic, but I would have loved an extended version with allusions to Sunshine, 64, etc.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Close, yeah. Chuf dropping the all-out hatred for it on the newest Rebel FM made me cry harder though.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not, but that whole scene was a feeling of pure nostalgia for me, and I was just grinning from ear to ear the whole time.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I liked the whole set but it didn't really do anything for me. Cool and a nice homage, but nothing that evoked an emotional response.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Not even close. It was cool to see, but crying seems a tad much.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No... and my first console was an NES.

I didn't realize this was something that made people emotional. I definitely smiled though.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No but it's was great.

My mate completed the game but somehow missed it lol. I thought it was one of the main story moons?

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if there are any Sega kids who get emotional thinking about Vector Man

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was my favorite setpiece, if it can be called that, of any game I've played or seen this gen. It didn't make me cry though

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, but media very rarely gets me to cry. I got chills tho, which is about the best that it could have done

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but mostly for real life reasons. I was in a really bad place in my life when they were running commercials for this game that played this song, and I really enjoyed them. So when I ended up getting around to playing the game it brought me back to those feelings

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Nope, but I get that everyone has different things that make us emotional. I cried happy tears during Persona 4's credits roll for example.

It's nice that the festival was so special to you.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I tear up at a lot of games, like Xenoblade 2 just this week, but this seemed more like a fun joyful moment than an emotional nostalgic one.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I think the word you are looking for is emotional.... because I certainly did feel very happy and sad it was ending but I certainly did not cry.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I chose Sega over Nintendo as a kid, so no. Zero nostalgia or emotional investment for Mario on my part.
This. I thought it was cringy because it's trying really hard to pander to a love of Mario which is almost nonexistent to me except for Mario 64.

If this was a modern 3D sonic paying homage to old sonic games the tables would be turned and everyone else would think Sonic and Eggman having a rap battle or running with orca whales while crush40 shreds would be cringy too I bet.