CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I think it will have legs and do well. The multiplayer isnt even out yet, and there will most likely be more single player DLC.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Premise of this thread seems kind of poorly researched.
giphy.gif

Not all, but some of these "TLoU2 overwriting well known gifs" are definitely cursed.

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The PS3 game was a new IP that gained a ton of popularity over time. The PS4 has shown immense growth in terms of sales with Sony's first-party IPs, and TLoU2 was a known quantity. To think it should sell around the same ballpark as the original on PS3 is weird.

The game's legs were heavily impacted by awful word of mouth, and I say this as someone who considers it easily a top-5 game of the gen.

Let's do this talk after 6 years

After we have the final sales

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will have legs and do well. The multiplayer isnt even out yet, and there will most likely be more single player DLC.
Multiplayer could bump sales, definitely. I am curious if it will be a standalone spinoff game at this point though. Like the relationship between Apex Legends and Titanfall kinda.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It heavily dropped off in sales after the first couple of weeks/month. Like, some of the worst legs for a huge game of its kind in a long time. We're talking sub-100k NPD in August bad.

I think Sony and ND are happy it had such a big opening because the negative word of mouth on social media and the YouTube algorithm were amazingly awful; however, it will have a second wind on PS5 with the MP and whatever enhanced version/patch they put out.
The MP game will be a standalone game tho.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Of course not, and NPD only tracks USA

In Brazil it sold more than SM and GOW (and we love GOW here, it sold more than SM)

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
Lol damn this thread is really funny.

Omg to think tlou2 was going to outsell the first one in much less time, on less systems and compared to Spider-man. Common sense people

Deleted member 15360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How so? We don't have much info to go off of, that's for sure. All we can do is go off of old numbers, look at NPDs and speculate. Not a ton more research that could have been done, I feel.

NPD is only us only , it's a extremely story driven game hence front loaded and released extremely late gen

Compared the sales of any late gen games and you'll get an answer

Let's wait for ps5 port and a PlayStation employee has posted already

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol damn this thread is really funny.

Omg to think tlou2 was going to outsell the first one in much less time, on less systems and compared to Spider-man. Common sense people
Totally not the premise of the thread. Talking sales trajectories and expectations, not total sales (that would be silly given the big gap in time between releases).

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I won't compare it to Spider-Man because it's rated Teen. Tlou2 will be one of the best selling matured-rated games of all time.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I mean, how it "performed" would come down Sony's internal projections and expectations for sales, which they are unlikely to ever reveal. It sold extremely well by general standards, and made Sony a bunch of money.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fandoms have been super weird regarding sales this year.

RER3, FFVIIIR, and now TLOU all quickly had worry/concern.

Any thing we've seen on TLOU has absolutely pointed at it doing amazing, even better than VIIR which also did great.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Last of Us 1 sold around 20 million. Uncharted 4 sold at least 16 million. So yeah.

On 2 platforms and after many, many discounts after several years. TLOU2 has been out for 4 months. Not sure if the bundles are being included in there or not as well. Hell, my second PS4 came bundled with TLOU remastered.

TLOU2 has sold really well and will continue to get additional shots in the arm for its longevity including:

- Price reductions
- The PS5
- The TLOU series on HBO will get a LOT of new eyes on the franchise just like what happened with The Witcher
- TLOU2 Factions will give the franchise another marketing boost.

In the long run I don't see why it couldn't match TLOU at ~20 million units sold.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
I highly doubt it is; TLOU 2 will have legs for days. Games that sells 4 million it's opening week and being the 3rd highest grossing PlayStation games(US) just don't fall off a cliff. I'd even expect a boost with the Holiday season and the PS5 coming out. and you know there's going to be a PS5 enhanced version as well.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On 2 platforms and after many, many discounts after several years. TLOU2 has been out for 4 months. Not sure if the bundles are being included in there or not as well. Hell, my second PS4 came bundled with TLOU remastered.

TLOU2 has sold really well and will continue to get additional shots in the arm for its longevity including:

- Price reductions
- The PS5
- The TLOU series on HBO will get a LOT of new eyes on the franchise just like what happened with The Witcher
- TLOU2 Factions will give the franchise another marketing boost.

In the long run I don't see why it couldn't match TLOU at ~20 million units sold.
The HBO series is actually a really good point I didn't consider. That will probably cause a big spike for both games whenever it gets released.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
What I don't understand is why is it not charting anymore? Neither in NPD nor PSN digital sales, etc. It feels like it dropped like a rock. In comparison, Ghost of Tsushima seems far more leggy.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I don't understand is why is it not charting anymore? Neither in NPD nor PSN digital sales, etc. It feels like it dropped like a rock. In comparison, Ghost of Tsushima seems far more leggy.
GoT's legs have been really impressive. Seems strong word of mouth has helped it.

Oct 25, 2017
It took God of War over a year to sell 10 million, it's been only like 4 months since TLOU2 broke every record playstation has for launch games sales.

I wouldn't be worried.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Part 2 feels like it came out years ago. Also what's up with no holiday advertising for TLoU2? I remember Spider-Man getting ads way after release

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can confirm TLOUII is doing/has done extremely well. The next time a figure is announced expect to be astounded. This game has done tremendous numbers and I couldn't be prouder.
I believe you, but it's interesting looking at NPDs and PSN digital charts and seeing it absent at this stage after release. Again it's all guesswork to some degree and an attempt to piece together an incomplete puzzle.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Honestly, I wouldn't even be mad if they decided to re-release it with proper work on an update for PS5 that includes the MP mode. For $40-$50 I'd happily bite considering how full of quality the original release was. We'll see what they do.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The game sold 4M copies in 3 days. The game costed $59 for the standard edition. Assuming the worst case scenario, the game had a revenue of $236M just with preorders and initial sales. But let's face it...many people bought the $70 and the $170 collectors edition sold out so it did much better than that.

The game is also the 3rd most successful for Sony in the USA...ever. That says it all.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shouldn't we compare to TLOU1's first few months of sales?

It'll get a PS5 rerelease and sell at least 13-15 million lifetime.

Which is, you know.....FINE.

OP
OP
ToddBonzalez

ToddBonzalez

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't we compare to TLOU1's first few months of sales?

It'll get a PS5 rerelease and sell at least 13-15 million lifetime.

Which is, you know.....FINE.
I thought about comparing it to TLOU1's initial sales, but the PS3 sold significantly less units than PS4, so seemed somewhat apples and oranges.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
If it sold more than Horizon Zero Dawn (which seems to be the case considering that tweet only mentions Spider-Man and GOW) then it's on track to be or already is a 10M+ seller. It's doing fine.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't read too much into it dropping off the top charts. Games are selling unbelievably well in 2020, so the charts are more competitive than ever.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Hell no lmao

Its still the 3rd best selling game of the year. And lol at trying to compare it to TLoU1 which was on 2 platforms and has been out for 7 years

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
I think compared to Spider-Man among other reasons (brand alone), Part 2 had gamegate shit to deal with be sexist and misogynist internet hate which includes fighting off "bad" word of mouth spreading online. Am I alone thinking Part 2 suffered due to outside forces not really because the game itself is controversial or something like that?