Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I couldn't get Gen IV games to work at all with an unsecured phone hotspot for whatever reason. So I just set up a WEP hotspot using Linux and it worked great

gbatemp.net

How to setup a WEP hotspot on Ubuntu 19.10

So I've been looking around and I haven't seen any tutorials on setting up a WEP hotspot to use for the Nintendo DS connection. So I thought I'll make...

I don't have linux unfortunately...

just found the login for my router, but I can't select 'no encryption' for my guest network or normal network. So I guess that's it for Celebi and Jirachi.

I've gotten everything from BW/B2W2 though, lots of pokemon I never had.

ryodi

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
No. Mystery Gifts are linked to your save file not the cartridge so as soon as you delete the save file to start a new game you can download all of the Mystery Gifts again.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So does anyone know how does this work? Are these events being kept in a server? I don't understand how it's possible, since the data isn't saved in the game, it has to be saved and uploading from somewhere. And how long will this last for?

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
So does anyone know how does this work? Are these events being kept in a server? I don't understand how it's possible, since the data isn't saved in the game, it has to be saved and uploading from somewhere. And how long will this last for?
It's been up for a year at least. Basically people have set up a server that is hosting the events. You just put in the specific DNS and can then have the mystery gift sent you you just as if you were on NWC on the DS. Most of these were handled at the game level rather than the system level, so you had to set up separate WiFi connect aettings. This just takes advantage of the game/system and makes it think it's accessing whatever servers Nintendo set up. If you google around, you will find there are lots of games using similar processes to send items or run multiplayer servers again. I imagine it will be up for a long time but would do things sooner rather than later.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
So there is someone maintaining a server, right? Isn't that expensive? Especially if people are using it to actually play online rather than just downloading a few files, I wonder how did they make this affordable.

Argond

May 30, 2020
Is it normal to get only one gift per day?
The last time I used this, I was able to get all gifts at one day

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is it normal to get only one gift per day?
The last time I used this, I was able to get all gifts at one day
Should be able to just keep getting mystery gifts as many times as you want. Depending on the game you can have up to 3-12 cards stored at a time. Then you have to go in game and redeem the items. Then come back and clear the cards to get a new gift. I had no issues getting them all right away.

Argond

May 30, 2020
Should be able to just keep getting mystery gifts as many times as you want. Depending on the game you can have up to 3-12 cards stored at a time. Then you have to go in game and redeem the items. Then come back and clear the cards to get a new gift. I had no issues getting them all right away.
I don't mean that, I know how that works.
For example: Today on Platinum I can only get the shiny-Pichu-Event. If I try to receive a new event, I can only get the shiny-Pichu, no matter how often I retry it

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I don't mean that, I know how that works.
For example: Today on Platinum I can only get the shiny-Pichu-Event. If I try to receive a new event, I can only get the shiny-Pichu, no matter how often I retry it
Ohhh...that's weird. I haven't tried in a while so not sure if something weird has happened with the server. Doubt resting your settings would change things from the server side, but might be worth a shot.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Going to dig out my copy of White 2 and give this a go at some point - If I start a new save, how far do I need to progress?

Is there also a region availability list for the Pokemon listed in the OP?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Going to dig out my copy of White 2 and give this a go at some point - If I start a new save, how far do I need to progress?

Is there also a region availability list for the Pokemon listed in the OP?
Not very far. I think you just need your starter and access to the Pokemon Center.

You could cross reference with Bulbapedia/Serebiis list of 2011/2012 events. They have PAL listings.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I apologize for the large bump to this thread, but I figured this was the best place to ask my question since it's related to the topic of "getting old events in Pokémon".

Has someone made something like this work for the 3DS-era games yet (XY, ORAS, SM, and USUM)? I'm starting to go back through the pre-Switch games on a bit of a nostalgia trip. There are a lot of events I missed out on, so I was just wondering.

EDIT: Also just want to say that I did try searching online elsewhere before I posted here and didn't see anything, so if it does exist and should be obvious, then I'm sorry lol.

Last edited:

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
I apologize for the large bump to this thread, but I figured this was the best place to ask my question since it's related to the topic of "getting old events in Pokémon".

Has someone made something like this work for the 3DS-era games yet (XY, ORAS, SM, and USUM)? I'm starting to go back through the pre-Switch games on a bit of a nostalgia trip. There are a lot of events I missed out on, so I was just wondering.

EDIT: Also just want to say that I did try searching online elsewhere before I posted here and didn't see anything, so if it does exist and should be obvious, then I'm sorry lol.

A number of them were through codes AND region locked, so I'd imagine it'd take a lot more effort than connecting to a custom server :(

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017

Nothing like the Gen 4/5 stuff that I'm aware of.

If you hack your 3DS and install PKSM, you can generate Event Pokemon (it has a database that has Wonder Cards created for many of them).
PKHex also can do something similar as well.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
Just tried on Black and it worked right away, but it took a couple tries on SoulSilver before it would connect. Glad this is still active.

konakona

Jul 5, 2019
Hello friends, I apologize for replying to a thread as old as this one, but it seems to me that this is the best place to ask this: Can I obtain the Liberty Pass with this method? Or is it reduced to events where only actual Pokémon were distributed?

I've been trying my luck using Kaeru WFC (Primary and Secondary DNS: 178.62.43.212) and have managed to get the Sping 2012 Reshiram (I'm using Pokémon White), the February 2012 Mewtwo, and the Movie 14 Victini, among other Pokémon (mainly from World Championships events). However, I've no idea if I'll be able to grab a Liberty Pass this way. Should I give up on it?

Thank you friends.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
Hello friends, I apologize for replying to a thread as old as this one, but it seems to me that this is the best place to ask this: Can I obtain the Liberty Pass with this method? Or is it reduced to events where only actual Pokémon were distributed?

I've been trying my luck using Kaeru WFC (Primary and Secondary DNS: 178.62.43.212) and have managed to get the Sping 2012 Reshiram (I'm using Pokémon White), the February 2012 Mewtwo, and the Movie 14 Victini, among other Pokémon (mainly from World Championships events). However, I've no idea if I'll be able to grab a Liberty Pass this way. Should I give up on it?

Thank you friends.

OP lists it towards the bottom of the Gen 5 section: "Liberty Pass (Item to meet Victini)"

So you should be good to obtain it.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
Thank you for the reminder on this! Collecting some Black 2 mystery gifts right now. For anyone trying to do the same, these DNS settings are working for me:

Primary DNS = 178.62.43.212 (defaults to 178.062.043.212 so I think either work)
Secondary DNS = 000.000.255.255

I believe there's a slightly different list of gifts between Black 1 and Black 2? For instance I was never able to get a Genesect in Black 1 (or maybe I just got unlucky).

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Love this bump. Hope these are still working. Was able to get these and the DQ9 stuff years ago from this thread. Irritating that it takes so long to get to the point you can use these in all the games though.