• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

UPDATE: It's official (lol)

After previously canceling its in-person E3 2022 event, the ESA has now informed its partners that there will be no digital event equivalent this year either - meaning E3 2022 has fully been canceled.

The news broke via a tweet from Razer PR lead Will Powers, who said that an email had been sent out announcing the cancellation of a digital E3 event. IGN has independently verified the contents of the email as well.

The ESA had initially planned for an in-person E3 event this year after having no event in 2020 due to COVID-19 and a digital one in 2021. However, this was canceled in January, with the ESA at the time unable to make a public statement on whether or not there would be a digital equivalent. According to sources speaking to IGN at the time, discussions around E3 had been fraught throughout the year, with third parties normally involved finding the ESA's ongoing silence regarding their plans frustrating.

Sources connected to the event tell IGN that discussions about a possible digital equivalent have been ongoing ever since, but without strong momentum to drive them. Instead, the ESA seems to be making plans to regroup for a larger comeback in 2023.

IGN has reached out to the ESA for comment.

Last edited:

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Ehh, theres so many one off events happening every other month that e3 feels kinda pointless

Mar 23, 2018
Quite frankly, while it was good to have all kinds of games showing up there one week a year, I believe this is for the better unless a better organization shows up to handle all of it.

This, on the other hand, I don't like a bit. I almost always regret staying up to watch it. It's a slow show where, mostly, expectations are not met and, IMO, not good enough to become the gaming announcement event.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Geoff's power grows.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Not unexpected, but still disappointing news. E3 week was almost like a holiday for me. Hoping the publishers have some of their own keynotes over the summer.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well shit. For all of it's flaws, E3 was still miles ahead of any of it's competitors.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
In all honesty, who cares. Hopefully Keighley doesn't make a show that drags like last year's summer whatever that was.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Hopefully Summer Games squishes the amount of days it lasted. Cause having it all over months was not nearly as exciting nor memorable to me as a week long event.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
As a primary Nintendo fan e3 hasn't really meant anything anymore as long as there is a direct announced for June.

Wonder if Nintendo will do some demo booths this year with masks for safety.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
How is that a rumor?
It literally says it's official in the Tweet lol
Anyway, not surprised since E3 has been irrelevant for some time now
I still hope everyone just does presentations around that time anyway cause it's cool to see all those projects at one time

Neo_ladeen

Jul 26, 2020
Do I have to sit through 1382387 different events again? I guess I will just watch Xbox and be done with it this year, do not feel the energy to keep track of all of them.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
E3 has lost a lot of relevance due to how people consume media - why plan out this elaborate stage show or get an expensive booth when you can send a copy of your hardware/game/etc to someone with 100k+ subs.

That's not to say I won't miss the "hype" of having these potentially huge announcements that are saved for such a big event, but eh - it was only huge for the big players, and EVERY ONE OF THEM is big enough to do their own thing, on their own time, and possibly just pre-tape the whole thing to avoid accidents...so why even rely on E3?

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man. End of an Era. Kinda sad.

If Geoff wants to replace it he's going to have to step up his game. He might be able to do it though.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I totally love having a week's worth of announcements stretched across 4 months.

/s

Babu93

Feb 9, 2021
I know there will be plenty people posting indifference or smarmy comments. But honestly, I've always thoroughly enjoyed E3 week and I think we're worse off without it.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Dang, sad days. E3 itself is whatever, but having all the events and reveals within a week of each other was something else. The so called "Summer of Gaming" was absolutely terrible with content being spaced out over months.

Hopefully MS can still bring in a good show in June, and hopefully next year E3 can return in some form.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
No surprise.

Fuck Keighley though.

That TGA speech about Activision followed immediately by a David Cage game was clownshoes.