• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being on a gaming enthusiast forum and being happy E3 is cancelled...
Considering that no in-person event is planned anyway it hardly makes a difference for us whether the announcement shows are labeled E3, Summer Game Fest or something different altogether.

Porygon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mexicali
I liked to attend to get exclusive merchandise for my friends and play some stuff

I guess people here would also be happy if Gamescom, Summer Game Fest and Tokyo Game Show disappear or is just a totally random hate boner for E3?

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
I mean with no e3 this really only affects the smaller companies no? MS, Sony, Nintendo all do their own shows and then EA and Ubisoft typically have their own as well.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I never understood why this place hates E3 so much. I don't care about the actually event. But all the press conferences from the major publishers happening within that 5 day period of each other was always one of my favorite times of the year. The summer of gaming or whatever, didn't come anywhere close to that.

the funny thing is is they were in the e3 threads. Hating things is the new norm for whatever reason now.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Time for Geoff to come through again, just keep it all within a couple of weeks please

Oct 27, 2017
Bummer. I know it's been a shell of itself but I still wish and look forward to June conferences and season. It used to feel like a super bowl type hype period for all games.

Please just hand over the name license of e3 to Geoff or something please. I miss the days when I had 1-2 weeks of gaming news to looking forward to in the summer, I know we still get stuff but it's so spread out and you never know when things will drop

In 2019 my wife and I set out to do two travel dreams before trying to have a baby, which were go to e3 and go to Europe. Suffice to say Covid ruined both of those damn. Looks like I will never see an E3 in person, I don't even care if it's a smaller version. Oof

Stath

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Mar 4, 2022
I'm just surprised E3 has been able to keep shambling along for so long, especially after already considerably sizing-down in the past. It is something that I've nonetheless consistently looked forward to for gaming announcements, but those would just come anyway, especially when the major companies have their own digital presentations that they use now.

And I'd rather skip any Keighley shows in favor of just reading the news after. The Game Awards are painful to sit through—I'm completely done with those.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Which show are you referring to?
Summer Games Fest hasn't even been around that long
It also brought the goods last year tbh. First real look at Elden Ring and that was cause of Geoff's great relationship with the dev
That was the singular thing anybody cared about from the Summer Games Fest. Everything else was E3. Summer Games Fests have gone 0/2, and I don't have confidence that Geoff can turn it around.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All I do is win, win, win no matter what, got money on my mind, I can never get enough

flintheart-glomgold-duck-tales.gif

This gif of Glomgold gleefully twerking on a coffin works on a number of levels.

Connope

Mar 6, 2022
Considering that no in-person event is planned anyway it hardly makes a difference for us whether the announcement shows are labeled E3, Summer Game Fest or something different altogether.
To us the difference is the concentration. Keighley's events have encouraged things to spread out more, but E3 encourages everything to be done over one week. E3 is the same to me whether it's online or in-person, but there being a central E3 time slot makes it more likely that companies will have their events during that time slot, which I enjoy.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can someone remind me what the deal is with Keighley and e3 is? I remember there being bad blood but idk I can't recall what was going on, i dont pay attention to that stuff too much.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Man the ESA just completely lost all their power/good will/whatever huh

I do really miss having E3 as just a week with a whole bunch of announcements all at once. Felt like a big event. I hope something similar can still be done

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
So we found out who is more powerful between the 'E3 needs to die' and 'movie theaters need to die' delegations.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Communication via the ESA started to go out earlier in the week to partners about the cancellation.

Now to see how the ESA will publicly respond to the cancellation...

TheCommonDan

Oct 27, 2017
I'll never enjoy any Game announcements/showcases as much as E3 week. Plenty of fond memories of the megatons and watching reaction videos.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Always liked having that condensed few days of reveals and conferences. So I'll absolutely miss E3.

Really hope Geoff can narrow his stuff down to that sort of window. Having stuff spread out over weeks is lame.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Pouring one out for the gaming highlight of the summer.

Unless Keighly can recapture that magic with a set of coordinated events in a short time span, I do not see this as a good thing at all.

E3 was always the news oasis in the desert of game announcements, and with that gone without a suitable replacement is just going to mean a slew of middling gaming "events" scattered at random intervals, which may easily fly under the radar for those of us who do not have the time or ability to catch all of them.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Dunno why they even annoucned it would happen when everyone was sure it would not happen.
All that was false hope from the start. And tbh, was never going to be the same E3 as before, anyway.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just don't do that awful summer of gaming again. Do it in a week with the big conferences up front.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean with no e3 this really only affects the smaller companies no? MS, Sony, Nintendo all do their own shows and then EA and Ubisoft typically have their own as well.
It's not as if those smaller companies don't get a spotlight in those Console Publisher shows either. If anything they make up the bulk of announcements in Directs/SoPs/Inside Xbox, while exclusives are the highlights.

And that's not even factoring in The Game Awards.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Can you imagine being Geoff Keighley? All that power.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
The guy is a very good organizer, him and his team are completely capable of putting on a stage show big enough for multiple pubs
My only request is that they get it done in one night or over a few days

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
E3 was always something I greatly looked forward to every year but I think the industry has significantly changed in a way where doing smaller events and game unveils closer to launch just makes more sense for game companies. It allows them to market their games when they feel it's most appropriate and beneficial to them.

I had some wonderful memories with past E3 events. I still remember how blown away by the initial Zelda: Twilight Princess reveal. E3 will be greatly missed by me but I understand that the market environment has changed and smaller, more controlled events (ie: Nintendo Directs) often times make more sense and are also much easier to plan out and avoid live show mistakes.

I imagine we will still get some fantastic smaller scale game events sprinkled throughout the summer and fall seasons and I'm looking forward to those. :)

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to survive the triple gutshot of

•Publishers learning how to successfully hold and market their own events thanks to the internet
•A global pandemic
•The rise of Geoff Keighley, the industry's most ambitious man