Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Era and the old place used to be my E3, I never bother to watch any of the presentations and just wait for stuff to be posted. Im perfectly fine with reacting to hype moments on VOD if the news interests me enough.

When you follow sites like GB and EA and watch all their people head out to the venue and set up there it's a different feeling, sad that it's going to be lost forever

I miss the Gerstmann drive
Once covid is over(ish) there is no doubt there will be one E3 where they try to bring that energy back only to realize they actually hated it all along.

Oct 27, 2017
I miss E3, but the version of E3 I remember from the height of my interest in the industry in the mid-2000's and early 2010's.

Like a lot of things about the industry, the landscape has changed a lot since then. I think this is the final nail for whatever E3 could even be at this point.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Just give me my usual June Nintendo Direct

I don't give a shit about anything else

Mohsenix

Mar 31, 2018
If only there was a way for publishers to show off their stuff without being tied to a shitty organization.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Need someone to shop Keighley stepping over ESA/E3 a la Iverson over Tyronn Lue

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
E3 has been nothing more than a banner for publishers to do press conferences under for years. Let it die.

(Please Nintendo give us a June Direct still)

opticalmace

Oct 27, 2017
oie_EL0dZdQlBrD6.jpg
Lmfao

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
That's too bad. The Summer Games Fests have been kinda bad, and I can't say I care for Geoff Keighley.

Remember when he barely called out harassment in the industry and then announced a Quantic Dreams game a few minutes later?

Hopefully with E3 gone, SGF is actually good for once, I guess. 🤷‍♂️

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why this place hates E3 so much. I don't care about the actually event. But all the press conferences from the major publishers happening within that 5 day period of each other was always one of my favorite times of the year. The summer of gaming or whatever, didn't come anywhere close to that.

This. I could give two shits about what the thing is called or who runs it, I just loved having a week to look forward to every year where all the biggest news dropped and everyone was talking about the same thing.

Oct 25, 2017
The spread out strategy makes sense for devs though. More time to create trailers/demos/vertical slices and less chance of getting drowned during E3 week.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Good.

Why does the ESA need anyone's support again? Companies are finding better and cheaper ways to showcase their games in June and throughout the year.

DarrenM

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna be weird not saying stuff like "maybe it'll be at E3" . Guess it's SGF now.

Hopefully all the platform holders/publishers have their showcases around the same time. I miss having that week of solid news and trailers like E3 had.

roguebubble

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 8, 2018
Hard to argue against E3 being dead at this point (or on death's door at least). I do wonder if next year Geoff will try to do an in-person event or stay strictly online with SGF since Gamescom, PAX and other events still exist

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Hell yeah!
vWyJ5Oy.png

Gonna be weird not saying stuff like "maybe it'll be at E3" . Guess it's SGF now.

Hopefully all the platform holders/publishers have their showcases around the same time. I miss having that week of solid news and trailers like E3 had.

I will try to refer to Summer Game Fest as the Dorito Pope Event. Although I'm betting that will just call it Keighley's show.

Haubergeon

Jan 22, 2019
The writing was on the wall for E3 being officially for-reals done for a long time now, so this isn't a surprise, though it's still sad. I'll miss it.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
This pretty much means Geoff Keighley is now officially King of Video Games.

You don't have to like him, but you DO have to respect him. I hope everyone on this board can understand that.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So it's official now?! Sad to see E3 shut its doors completely.

Everyone is talking about Summer Game Fest, but Gamescom will probably be the biggest winner here.
E3 just left Gamescom, which will be held physically this year again, the spot of most important gaming trade event (where companies, press and gamers attend) of the year. It had pre-covid already been the biggest exhibitors and visitors-wise, but was always second fiddle to E3 as that had already snatched all the biggest announcements and game showcases from it already.
It'll be interesting to see how Gamescom will make use of this opportunity.
Good for Cologne though. :)

Last edited:

Syinn

Jun 14, 2021
I'll miss e3. I hope this doesn't lead to new info droughts. The hype towards e3 and leaks were exciting.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I'll miss E3 but honestly most years were disappointing compared to the hype.

The biggest thing that I'll miss is the theatrics behind all the conferences even if they never quite met my expectations outside of 2015.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
was e3 even anything last year? i dont remember. like, i watched some presentations but was that "e3" or just companies doing their own thing over a weekend in june?

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
E3 was really hype few years ago but since only MS, EA and UBI were left it was bound to happened along with covid