diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So is the idea that this will improve Keighley's output? All of his shows have been dreadful imo. Feels like gameshows are just going out the door

Rösti

Oct 25, 2017
While I cannot confirm this definitely at the moment, I can mention that several affairs surrounding E3 (2022) have been in a disarray for quite a while. Personally I think it is the best for E3 to be cancelled for some time so a full-fledged renewal can take place.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
8e6
You know what to do Era

Oct 28, 2017
Give me the Microsoft Presser, Treehouse Live and whatever Devolver Digital was going to do and I don't care what you call it.

However, the industry press seemed to benefit from having E3. The Easy Allies of the world and such seemed to give better coverage and interviews from being live on the show floor.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Great cant wait to have 12 diff shows all at random times and days. /s

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Welp. Shucks.

...time to bring back the E for All trade show! The time is ripe to make a comeback!

I'll miss it but if Keighley's show actually carries things going forward, it's just going to feel like the same show with a different name and management.

Not a fan of the ESA in particular, especially when they doxxed all their attendees 3 years ago.

I don't hold as much disdain for E3 in its final years like some, but uh...yeah. After that fiasco happened, I'm kinda good with E3's dissolution. Ain't surprised at all about Grubb's tweet explicitly stating everyone having way more trust in Keighley than the clowns at ESA. The death of E3 is what the latter deserved.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
I absolutely LOVE E3, and I hate half the responses in here to this news, lol. E3 was a major event in my life for what seems like forever.

When am I going to get to see )#$U@)$@*)@(#$#)($ Forza Motorsport??????????????

(deep breaths)

Is Microsoft/Nintendo/Sony doing something in place of E3?

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Sources connected to the event tell IGN that discussions about a possible digital equivalent have been ongoing ever since, but without strong momentum to drive them. Instead, the ESA seems to be making plans to regroup for a larger comeback in 2023.

revive-hes-alive.gif

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
used to pretend to be sick so I could skip school and watch E3 all day.

good times.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
When you follow sites like GB and EA and watch all their people head out to the venue and set up there it's a different feeling, sad that it's going to be lost forever

I miss the Gerstmann drive

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
E3 was and will always be the best event for the industry.

Never liked how Keighley handled events in general, and now that he also 'owns' Gamescom, well, it sucks.

We deserve better.

Fucking money.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
wait they want to come back big in 2023? didn't they say the same shit last year?

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I'll always miss prime E3 as a consumer. It was like Christmas. Sounds like it was miserable for the industry though.

Mar 29, 2022
IGN confirmed it:

www.ign.com

E3 2022 - Digital and Physical - Has Officially Been Canceled - IGN

After previously canceling its in-person E3 2022 event, the ESA has now informed its partners that there will be no digital event equivalent this year either - meaning E3 2022 has fully been canceled.

The news broke via a tweet from Razer PR lead Will Powers, who said that an email had been sent out announcing the cancellation of a digital E3 event. IGN has independently verified the contents of the email as well.

The ESA had initially planned for an in-person E3 event this year after having no event in 2020 due to COVID-19 and a digital one in 2021. However, this was canceled in January, with the ESA at the time unable to make a public statement on whether or not there would be a digital equivalent. According to sources speaking to IGN at the time, discussions around E3 had been fraught throughout the year, with third parties normally involved finding the ESA's ongoing silence regarding their plans frustrating.

Sources connected to the event tell IGN that discussions about a possible digital equivalent have been ongoing ever since, but without strong momentum to drive them. Instead, the ESA seems to be making plans to regroup for a larger comeback in 2023.

Oct 27, 2017
Quite frankly, while it was good to have all kinds of games showing up there one week a year, I believe this is for the better unless a better organization shows up to handle all of it.

This, on the other hand, I don't like a bit. I almost always regret staying up to watch it. It's a slow show where, mostly, expectations are not met and, IMO, not good enough to become the gaming announcement event.
I think you're confusing the Summer Games Fest and The Game Awards?

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but did we. Keighly is great but his shows are stuffed with filler and ads galore. Hopefully he'll be able to cut some of that if more publishers come to his shows, but until I see it I'll reserve judgement.
Yeah, seriously. if publishers are all going with him they should be able to put in some money so we don't need as many ads all over, but maybe that's what they want

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I too love gaming news being spread out and decentralized so that it becomes impossible for people who work for a living to keep track of things, resulting in anything without a major 1st Party backing going under the radar.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'll miss E3. Even if the constant comparisons which showcase was better were tiring, it was cool to see what's in the pipeline for the next 12-18 months. So many surprises and iconic moments we will not get in these digital showcases, too.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Even Geoff's thing doesn't make a lot of sense. it's just a bunch of companies doing their own events in the Summer, and Geoff just kind of putting his name on it lol.

E3 will hopefully be back as an in-person convention next year.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
the rise of streaming + publishers/devs learning how to do their own conferences because of that was an inevitable death of E3. it died years ago

conventions themselves only make sense for ones like gamescom that will always be relevant. the format E3 had was old and couldn't compete with the changes

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I just don't see the point of companies paying someone when they can nowadays just manage their conferences/Directs themselves.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hope whatever geoff does as a replacement ends up being a good substitute.

Edit: Yeah...its just summer game fest... lets see if it improves this year.

b8e6bd5f8d88bf48d4122666619cb42d.png

There's a typo on the website and everything.

Edit 2: Already fixed. Good job.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I really wish we could get people to tune into an awards show without needing to essentially combine it with E3.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Eh we're still going to get announcements so who really cares? We'll still get a big Direct and an Xbox + Bethesda thing and it'll probably all happen in the same week. Just wrapped up a bit differently.

To be honest, Keighley's probably better at it than the ESA anyway. He's not perfect (needs to vastly improve the pacing of his shows) but he gets more right than wrong.

Will be interesting to see how many people they can convince to come back next year if they try to do an in-person thing again.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
They are actually due to the lack of audience. In additon, I like seeing dudes present their porduct to the audience, what's the fucking point for public speaking courses. Man, you zoomers lucky.

Lol I mean it still happens. Sony has their single game focused directs where devs present the work. But hey, I think the gamescom event and SGF will have an audience so there's something just for you 😉