Harmony

Dec 1, 2019
Japan
Not sure if it was shared already, but I found this tweet reply earlier and I thought it was worth sharing:

Last year's SGF felt quite sparse because of how long it ran for, so I'm hoping this year will be better

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Keighley pulls out so someone competent takes over then. His game awards are unwatchable as is but his summer games thingy is an active reason for me missing releases. Spreading them over more than a few days don't work

I do like Keighley too but his formats are just too much. Ads everywhere and very little substantial info

Apr 12, 2021
Well that sucks!

E3 week was one of the best times of the year, now it's all split up and everyone has their own thing, at their own time.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That sucks. E3 was my Christmas. I hope it comes back next year. Keighley's show doesn't have that feeling of a grand event.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Like gaming magazines, I agree E3 doesn't make much sense anymore for anyone in this age, but I still liked that "E3 week" feelings.

StarStorm

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't paid much attention to E3 in years. Oh well. Really doubt E3 is coming back in 2023.

Keighley growing more powerful with each passing year.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares.
Let each company host a direct-like stream to announce its lineup. A much better format imo.
Those big events are a waste of everyone's time and money

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I can understand why developers and publishers prefer the Summer Fest, because it actually gives their games time to shine, as opposed to having them drowned between all the big games in only a week time.

That's the main thing that most people don't seem to understand, (most) developers and publishers didn't like the old format.

I like Geoff, he seems a genuinely good guy so this could be in worse hands, definitely.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
Back in my school days taking exams, getting off for summer vacation and immediately looking forward to E3 are some of my most cherished memories 😔

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
E3 replaced the Summer CES in Chicago

Keighley replaced E3 with Summer Games Fest

I'll replace Summer Games Fest for myself by watching trailers of new game reveals only on the YT channels of devs/pubs.

Edit: Hours of E3 1995

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I think I am in general over these live events, as I feel nothing over losing E3. I prefer to wake up to trailers/blog posts than sit through shit to get to actual games at this point.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Back in the day E3 was basically like Christmas for me. Haven't felt that way in a long time - either because everything has moved to one-off digital events or announcements, or because I'm getting old

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
E3 felt like christmas to me, no matter how much people justify not needing it i'll miss the classic E3's. Having all that big gaming news in a week felt amazing, you'd be chewing it off for months and by the time you're done gamescom is around the corner.

This current fragmented approach with publishers is so underwhelming because they space out their big announcements having underwhelming ones to take place.

Oct 27, 2017
The current approach certainly sucks. Multiple micro events that may or may not happen, it just translates to regular news during the summer.
There's no sense of "holy shit can't wait until i see them bombs dropped in the following three days" That's sadly gone. But hey, at least i got to experience it while it lasted.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I spend like 10 hours a day on ResetEra dot com and had never heard of Summer Games Fest until this thread. Not excited that E3 is dead and whatever Keighley's thing is replaced it.

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
The ESA sucks and I understand why publishers would want to move away from E3, but this is still a shame. The actual even was great, and in general I enjoyed E3 a lot more than any event by Keighley so I have my doubts summer games fest will be a good replacement.

Hopefully he can prove me wrong.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it was shared already, but I found this tweet reply earlier and I thought it was worth sharing:

Last year's SGF felt quite sparse because of how long it ran for, so I'm hoping this year will be better

"Less than a month" is still too long, if it means three or four weeks. Gotta either get it down to a fortnight, or schedule at Euro friendly times, but I can't do a month of late nights; I'll just skip stuff and catch the news on twitter in the morning.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I just need Nintendo to do their usual direct an I'm probably good. Hope they don't decide to change the timing since E3 is no more.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine for most people that as long as Keighley can get a big showcase from most big publishers to show during the same week, the E3 feeling should remain. Don't know if he has that clout.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, as long as that SGF thing-y is not an absolute mess like its always been I dont see the issue!

but lord... please fix The Game Awards because last years was almost unwatchable, super underwhelming AND super messy when Keighley dragged Activision but still showcased a fucking Quantic Dreams game lmao

Oct 29, 2017
I'm actually sorry for people who think this is a good thing.

E3 hasn't been the besr in the past few years but it was hardly terrible. And no matter how competent Keighley is, SGF was nowhere close to E3. It was a website which aggregated events, it was never as interesting as E3 even in its worst years.

E3 was great because it was a single week, not drip-feeding and having countless events. If SGF solves that, great. I doubt it though.

It was absolutely brilliant and one of the greatest highlight of my summers.

It's a tragedy that it's gone.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I think my favorite year, not pertaining to any game reveals specifically, was the E3 Bear year. That shit was funny. 😆

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just heard about this, and thought it was only a matter of time, especially after Sony stopped attending E3 years ago, and after the big E3 data leak. Can't say I was looking forward to the rebranding plans either, as they were planning to devolve E3 into a fan festival where gamers can meet "influencers" and such. It had cringe written all over it. RIP E3.

Zaiven

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 12, 2019
I have to say, it is weird seeing so many people on an enthusiast gaming forum not only be okay with the end of E3, but almost celebrating it. Very, very, very different from how it used to be.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
I'm actually sorry for people who think this is a good thing.

E3 hasn't been the besr in the past few years but it was hardly terrible. And no matter how competent Keighley is, SGF was nowhere close to E3. It was a website which aggregated events, it was never as interesting as E3 even in its worst years.

E3 was great because it was a single week, not drip-feeding and having countless events. If SGF solves that, great. I doubt it though.

It was absolutely brilliant and one of the greatest highlight of my summers.

It's a tragedy that it's gone.

Wasn't E3 also very difficult for devs because they'd have to divert their staff and dedicate time they could be using to build their games to put together demos and presentations instead?

I feel like I recall more than a handful of devs commenting on what a stessful time the months leading up to E3 were for them. Extra crunch and all. Yeah, I guess it's bad for our hype, but I'm not going to lament the loss of anything that makes life worse for the people who make our entertainment.

Richard Booth

Verified
Jan 4, 2018
This broke my heart. Although I found E3 last year to certainly be weird (The social media section for passing around business cards was nearly empty and the appt scheduling portion of the app was clunky), I found it to be a cool way to hold the event. It wasn't nearly as fun as being there, but it was fun nonetheless.

I did find it funny however that it was cancelled the same day I sent in my media request forms and credentials.

Richard Booth

Verified
Jan 4, 2018
Baffled by people saying good in here.

E3 was one of the highlights of the year for us gamers.

I always loved going to E3. Lots of handshaking and networking. Last year's digital event was a bit sloppy as far as how difficult it was to navigate the app. Media wasn't given nearly enough time to become familiar with it and it honestly wasn't easy to use (especially when trying to get appointments, not many companies used the in-house scheduler that was in the app), but the idea of what it could be was there and I was really looking forward to seeing how the ESA improved the app this year.