• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
1564469298-capture-d-ecran-2019-07-30-a-08-47-57.png

53% digital (doesn't include PS+ games). Was 43% a year ago. From Sony latest financial release. Likely to go below 50% next quarter with more big releases but the fact digital managed to exceed physical for 3 months is impressive. Though it was worth a separate thread since it got overshadowed by the shipment and the 100 million news.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I have rather rapidly converted to Digital Only....

The exception being if there is a fire-sale price or pricing error on physical copy.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Still prefer physical but I've bought a lot of games digitally this gen, more than ever before. Hopefully the average game sizes don't jump to 100GB next gen

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
and with BC , PS5 will be off to an amazing start. IMO next gen will not be hard reset due to this uprising of digitals and ecosystem this gen

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Even a guy like me with a huge CD and bluray/uhd collection is digital for games. I just don't have the space, and don't care for the artwork much. Plus they are utterly useless to me.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Even a guy like me with a huge CD and bluray/uhd collection is digital for games. I just don't have the space, and don't care for the artwork much. Plus they are utterly useless to me.
I'm the opposite. I don't care to collect movies and albums really since I only have space/money for one hobby and video games took precedence.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
With the way sales of physical books, magazines/newsprint, cds and dvd/blu-ray have completely cratered over the past decade, it's little wonder that the games industry is following suit.

People's habits regarding the delivery service of entertainment products has been turned on its head with the advent of digital media.

Seems like a completely natural evolution.

You can still buy physical media for most all entertainment sectors, but I imagine much like books & records it will be relegated to niche enthusiast circles over time.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
With the way sales of physical books, magazines/newsprint, cds and dvd/blu-ray have completely cratered over the past decade, it's little wonder that the games industry is following suit.

People's habits regarding the delivery service of entertainment products has been turned on its head with the advent of digital media.

You can still buy physical media for most all entertainment sectors, but I imagine much like books & records it will be relegated to niche enthusiast circles over time.
I'd that that book sales are still pretty healthy, CDs took a massive hit though. The difference this time is that unlike with music when the industry was resisting the transition, the video game industry is actually trying to push digital sales.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
I have bought a lot of digital this year - but only for Indy games not otherwise avail on disc. Also, I wonder if PS+ full game downloads are included in that study as they are "purchased"?

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I owned a PS4, I had like 10 physical copies and 100 digital games. Now on my Xbox, I own like 20 physical and 480 digital. Digital is the future, for better or worse.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017

Physical books are far from niche. Music, oth, is a very different story.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
When best buy and Amazon dropped their launch day discounts I didn't have any reason to stay with buying discs. I never trade in games and I never loan out games

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This generation has been a turning point for me. Out of the hundreds of games I own on current-gen consoles, less than 30 are physical I think, and even most of those are promo copies or deals that were far better than digital could offer for many more months, like that time I bought some recently released Xbox One games for like 10 Euros a piece at a flash sale at Games Week in Milan or when I've found a GameStop that was closing forever that day and thus had every item with enormous sales. Other than that I avoid physical nowadays.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I bought some physical games on PS3 to save HD space.

On PS4 there's absolutely no reason.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd that that book sales are still pretty healthy, CDs took a massive hit though. The difference this time is that unlike with music when the industry was resisting the transition, the video game industry is actually trying to push digital sales.

Maybe there's some kind of resurgence that I'm unaware of, but all I've seen is mom & pop bookstores closing shop (a long time ago) and big retailers like Barnes & Noble downsizing in more recent years. There used to be like at least 10 B&N multi-level stores in the immediate DC metro area. Now there's only like 2 or 3 I think.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Best news!
Thanks to me getting a lot of discs stolen and rebuying those digitally. Finally got Ryu ga Gotoku Ishin Jpn Vers. on the PSN Asia sale!

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Almost completely digital now. Only buy physical if I'm not sure about a game and may want to sell it.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Same with me. Dunno why I could of saved so much money lol

I definitely realize I have not only spent more money, but also can not resale either. I have seen many offers of cheap physical games since I went digital only in 2016. I choose to look at it as though I pay a premium for the convenience of never having to swap discs, or never even needing a disc. It's a premium I'm willing to pay.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what the digital future cheerleaders might say I do not see this as good news.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
It was inevitable. And this is why backwards compatibility will be so crucial going into next gen. It's a huge built-in advantage. People expect their digital purchases to carry over [to new versions of products] these days.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been all digital since my GCU expired in feburary. The only physical games I get are for my favorite series like team yakuza games.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
I'm the opposite. I don't care to collect movies and albums really since I only have space/money for one hobby and video games took precedence.
Well yeah I can see that. Getting shit to put this stuff on is a nuisance to me, especially steelbooks, which need heavily built shelves.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all in for digital... deep sales and convenience cant be beat. Roll on, PS5

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Well, it was unavoidable, I will ride the physical train while it last tho, it just feels so good to look at my switch physical collection every time I go into my room

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
People investing in the Playstation ecosystem at such a high rate bodes really fucking well for the PS5. Google and MS are being aggressive with their value propositions, but will it be enough to entice people to give up their games libraries, saves, PS+ collections, friends, peripherals etc..?