orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
"the future is here"

More like finally catching up with the times.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
People investing in the Playstation ecosystem at such a high rate bodes really fucking well for the PS5. Google and MS are being aggressive with their value propositions, but will it be enough to entice people to give up their games libraries, saves, PS+ collections, friends, peripherals etc..?

I jumped back to Playstation after mainly using a 360 last gen and sinking probably more into that ecosystem than I have this gen, so yes it can happen.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I think every game will be "streamable" next gen.
Yeah, this came from Sony 2 months ago

D7DvUxCWwAAQdL0.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I stick to physical for series that I'm already invested in but for multiplayer games and series with low personal investment I have no problem going digital.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely realize I have not only spent more money, but also can not resale either. I have seen many offers of cheap physical games since I went digital only in 2016. I choose to look at it as though I pay a premium for the convenience of never having to swap discs, or never even needing a disc. It's a premium I'm willing to pay.
Yeah pretty much. Plus digital sales in Europe are pretty good.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I jumped back to Playstation after mainly using a 360 last gen and sinking probably more into that ecosystem than I have this gen, so yes it can happen.

Different times, different situations. Digital was new, building strength last gen, it boomed this gen. Also the XB1 didn't have 360 BC out of the gate.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I buy most games digitally though day 1 full-priced games are still mostly physical since it's cheaper.

Seeing a game for 69€ on PS Store when it's 50-60€ at physical stores is weird, I wonder why there's not a 10-20% discount for pre-orders.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not much point to physical media now if you've got the internet for digital. Manuals are paper-thin, and discs are merely security passes that save you no storage space.

It's also probably only a matter of time before they start releasing SKUs without disc drives, leaving BC only available through digital.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I'll only get a PS5 at launch if it offers full BC from PS1-PS4, otherwise I'll just wait.

PS4 certainly, PS1-3 not so sure. I am not an expert, but previous PlayStations had different type of CPUs and hardware in general, bc is not that simple to achieve with good performance. Perhaps with the power of PS5 that won't be an issue - but we may never get PS1-3 BC, no matter how long you wait. Of course, I could be completely wrong here.

Personally, not an issue for me, since PS4 was my first PlayStation ever :) But, I guess if you have some good PS3 games that you want to revisit....

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017

I mean yeah if Sony completely shits the bed with a PS3-like (or XB1-like) reveal for the PS5 or something. If it's just a regular box for 4/5 hundred and without any major shifts, theres no way Sony doesnt maintain its momentum with user retention. People are hundreds or thousands of $ deep on a collection they cant take to gamestop, it's the same situation you see where people are locked into the Apple ecosystem

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
PS4 certainly, PS1-3 not so sure. I am not an expert, but previous PlayStations had different type of CPUs and hardware in general, bc is not that simple to achieve with good performance. Perhaps with the power of PS5 that won't be an issue - but we may never get PS1-3 BC, no matter how long you wait. Of course, I could be completely wrong here.

Personally, not an issue for me, since PS4 was my first PlayStation ever :) But, I guess if you have some good PS3 games that you want to revisit....
I've got over 200 PS1 games, over 200 PS2 games and almost 200 PS3 games. Unfortunately my CECHA01 PS3 broke, I still have a PS1, PS2, PS3 (slim) and PS4 but it'd be nice being able to play everything on one console.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
My Ps4 Pro won't read discs anymore unless I beat the crap out of it so yeah, they're forcing me to go digital.

May 22, 2018
This guy will continue to buy physical copies 99% of the time. If they want someone like me to eventually go all digital, then I want the ability to resell my game license like I can with a physical disc, or at the very least gift it.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
I've got over 200 PS1 games, over 200 PS2 games and almost 200 PS3 games. Unfortunately my CECHA01 PS3 broke, I still have a PS1, PS2, PS3 (slim) and PS4 but it'd be nice being able to play everything on one console.

Of course. It would be nice, of course, and for your sake I hope we get it - but I wouldn't be surprised that we don't get BC for earlier generations. I don't think Sony has a purely business reason not to include it, meaning it's probably too costly to do it in terms of making a good enough emulation.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Give up your rights for convenience! Give up your rights for convenience!

Physical is still cheaper on the whole and you actually own your games. I'm glad that Sony will still support physical next gen.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I will embrace it once digital prices come down. No way I will spend €70 on a digital game if I can walk 5 minutes down the road and get it for €60 of the disc version.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Went digital a few years ago and haven't looked back. Still selling some of my physical games now I had so many and the space it saves. Not sure why I didn't do it sooner as I jumped on digital reading instantly.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these companies don't let you return digital games after buying them. So it's weird to see people responding positively to these news that digital sales are booming.

Haven't the EU been pushing back on this? I can't imagine no refunds for digital lasting forever.
I personally think it's great because it means an inevitable reduction in the production of plastic.

That doesn't necessarily mean it's better for the environment. It takes a decent amount of energy to handle all those downloads.

I'd actually be really interested to look at the break down of what method of playing games is more eco friendly.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
This guy will continue to buy physical copies 99% of the time. If they want someone like me to eventually go all digital, then I want the ability to resell my game license like I can with a physical disc.

I think this is a reasonable viewpoint. Instead of expecting Sony (and others) to hold on to physical forever - which is probably unrealistic - consumers should put pressure on these companies to allow transfering digital copies to others. I'm not saying they would agree (of course they won't), but that is the real issue here. And who knows, given enough pressure.... governments may bring regulation that requires them to do so (I think this is the only way). But with a future that is most certainly 100% digital and probably streaming, too - I think we should push for this instead of insisting on physical media for all eternity.

ShinyKyurem

Jul 11, 2019
I guess the recent increase of better digital games deals on PSN has contributed to it, but I don't think it's necessarily a good thing. I'm all physical but I think both formats can and should coexist as long as possible so everyone would be happy.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely don't like where we're heading. At least I'll save money since I don't like to spend on digital games unless they're dirt cheap. Will never ever buy a full priced game digitally on a console.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Some of these companies don't let you return digital games after buying them. So it's weird to see people responding positively to these news that digital sales are booming.

I think people shouldn't be negative towards digital sales themselves (there are certainly some benefits there), but towards the practices you mention. No-refund policies are not inherently tied to digital. It's up to governments to ensure you can get digital refunds, just like anything else.

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Definitely don't like where we're heading. At least I'll save money since I don't like to spend on digital games unless they're dirt cheap. Will never ever buy a full priced game digitally on a console.

But, surely, that won't be a choice, sooner or later. How long before there are no more physical games? Better to insist on fixing the issues with digital games (full ownership, refunds, returns, transfer of ownership, not being able to 'loose' them) than trying to halt the future. Look at it this way: holding on to physical is a battle that you'll loose sooner or later. But if enough people push their governments to regulate digital ownership, we may actually get somewhere.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Considering Sony and Microsoft have done everything they can to reduce the advantages of physical games this generation, this isn't surprising. I'm a little surprised it took this long, if anything.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Other than resale/trade in functionality, physical has been useless for years now. The majority of games, especially on PS4 and Xbone, require so many patches and updates that the physical disc provides on its own provides almost nothing of value. That's not to mention how many games require an online connection.

I've been buying digital more and more, especially for games that I know I'd like to hang on to. It's great. Is there a chance that at some point in the future it'll bite me in the ass? Probably, and I honestly just don't care that much

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
But, surely, that won't be a choice, sooner or later. How long before there are no more physical games? Better to insist on fixing the issues with digital games (full ownership, refunds, returns, transfer of ownership, not being able to 'loose' them) than trying to halt the future. Look at it this way: holding on to physical is a battle that you'll loose sooner or later. But if enough people push their governments to regulate digital ownership, we may actually get somewhere.

Agreed. Steam already solved most of these issues, but consoles are behind.

ThaNotoriousSOD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there's some kind of resurgence that I'm unaware of, but all I've seen is mom & pop bookstores closing shop (a long time ago) and big retailers like Barnes & Noble downsizing in more recent years. There used to be like at least 10 B&N multi-level stores in the immediate DC metro area. Now there's only like 2 or 3 I think.

People still buy hard copy books, they just order them online. I think there's obviously a decent chunk buying ebook versions, but it's no nearly the extent music has gone.