• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017

Team Ninja return with its signature fighter – Dead or Alive 6 - the first built specifically for Xbox One and PS4 systems. John covers all consoles and PC in this all-in-one tech breakdown. How much of an upgrade is it compared to the last game? And how well does it hold to 60fps on the weaker consoles? Let's find out.

Join the DF Patreon, support the team more directly and get pristine quality video assets: https://www.digitalfoundry.net

Subscribe for more Digital Foundry: http://bit.ly/DFSubscribe

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched this yet but shout out to DF for this coverage. Been playing on PC and it's got its hiccups but it's absolutely gorgeous.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Another game on X1 base that is just dreadful.

I wonder if the ESRAM + ddr3 is the huge problem here, as the discrepency in shading power makes you think X1 would be fine with dyanmic res.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Another game on X1 base that is just dreadful.

I wonder if the ESRAM + ddr3 is the huge problem here, as the discrepency in shading power makes you think X1 would be fine with dyanmic res.
Perhaps they're designing their Xbox port around X now as the lead. Which unfortunately makes it tricky when it comes to the S due to the different memory architecture.

Summary
OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
TL;DW. The video has a lot of neat stuff not mentioned here, so do definitely give it a watch.

- All console versions have low quality post process AA and low texture filtering.
- All consoles have "Graphics" and "Performance" options.

Visuals:
- XBX: "Graphics Mode" Native 4K but performance takes a hit.
- XBX "Performance" Mode: 4K HUD w/ native 1080p 'game'
- PS4 Pro: Max resolution 1080p native (including HUD) in both Graphics and Performance modes
- PS4 Pro "Graphics" mode has improved AA and shading
- Base PS4: "Graphics" mode is 1080p which compares favorably against PS4 Pro
- Base PS4: "Performance" mode is 900p
- Base Xbox: "Graphics" mode is 1080p but performance takes a big hit
- Base Xbox: "Performance" mode uses dynamic res from 720p to 900p
- PC: Always runs in borderless window even when choosing Full Screen.

- HDR is available only on Xbox consoles. PS4 and PC do not have it
- Majority of story mode relies on low quality/resolution FMV videos

- Loading times between matches are longest in the series yet outside of PC (w/ SSD)
- Visually speaking PC version is "the version to play"
- PC version settings are bare bones (resolution, shadow, objects, effects only)
- Xbox versions looks darker (higher black levels) compared to rest.
- PS4 Pro and XBX have enhanced features over base (Foliage and other small details)

Performance:
- XBX Performance mode: Locked 60 FPS
- XBX Graphics mode: 35 to 40 FPS. Remarkably jerky. Even on FreeSync, it doesn't feel smooth.
- Pro's Performance and Graphics both turn up solid 60 FPS.
- Base PS4: Quality mode drops to 40's
- Base PS4: Performance is mostly solid but can drop during cinematic attacks (doesn't really effect game play)
- Base Xbox: Graphics mode has terrible frame rate and can dip below 30 FPS
- Base Xbox: Performance mode is mostly 60 FPS during battles but can drop 'like a stone' on some arenas

- Higher end PC (w/ RTX Cards) Pretty much locked everywhere.

- On Input Latency "One of the slowest fighters to date with 7 to 8 frames of lag"

Verdict: Solid experience on all devices except the base Xbox One. Which is "DOA"

Epilogue: Fuck that $90 season pass.

Last edited:

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that S performance really is nuts. Just a bad experience on there overall.

Oct 27, 2017
Great video as always, John :)

I run the game like a dream at 1080p/60fps, with slight drops (58 fps) during character intros with a i5 8400, 16GB RAM, and a GTX 1060 6GB

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
Solves the PS4 Pro's "Graphics vs Performance" mystery

Still baffled as to why only Xbox has HDR support

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 Pro optimization is disappointing and base Xbox One not even managing to hold 60fps in performance mode at a much lower resolution than the other systems is inexcusable though. Solid 60fps needs to remain the standard in fighting games.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
He has a good point though, the game will age quite well going into next gen if they have BC.

I personally think both base consoles are in an unacceptable state for a fighting game, but the base Xbox One is just a disaster. I bet some of the story exclusive levels tank the visuals even worse too judging from how much they impacted my computer's performance.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
On the topic of visual improvements from DOA5 to DOA6, I made these direct comparisons of Rig's character model in the returning stage "Sweat". Directly compared, and nost just going by memory of how the game looked (especially when its the memory of the already improved PS4 port of DOA5), there are very significant improvements:

47327716991_20030a63be_o.png

46604736304_56fc2a283a_o.png

47275224772_8ce1711ab6_o.png

Characters are also so much more expressive during fights now.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. I agree with the video that DOA6's art style benefits big time from higher resolutions, maybe due to inadequate AA on 1080p. I hadn't seen any complaints of input lag like when Tekken 7 launched for PS4. Weird turn out.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So graphic mode on Pro has better AA and still maintains 60 fps? what is the reason of performance mode then?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Man that is depressing, surely the devs can do better than this ?

3D Fighting games and their engines have not been all that great this gen. Struggling to hit even 1080p on base machines, struggling to hit 60fps or a weird inbetween where nether performance or visuals are perfect on the mid gen machines.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
On the topic of visual improvements from DOA5 to DOA6, I made these direct comparisons of Rig's character model in the returning stage "Sweat". Directly compared, and nost just going by memory of how the game looked (especially when its the memory of the already improved PS4 port of DOA5), there are very significant improvements:

47327716991_20030a63be_o.png

46604736304_56fc2a283a_o.png

47275224772_8ce1711ab6_o.png

Characters are also so much more expressive during fights now.

That looks indeed like a good improvement, although I always though that the dudes weren't as detailed in 5. I remember 5 having skin pores and such more detailed than in 6 (may be wrong here).

Also, 6 may have some kind of yellow hue but 5 had red burnt skin lol

Oct 29, 2017
Looks like a pretty poorly optimised game in general. The Xbox One S version is absolutely shameful (like, Bayonetta PS3 bad), while the 4K mode on Xbox One X is basically unusable.

PS4 Pro and base are ok, but still far from anything impressive.

PC probably doesn't run all that well outside of stupidly high-end and expensive setups as well I'm guessing.

Poor show all round.

Perhaps they're designing their Xbox port around X now as the lead. Which unfortunately makes it tricky when it comes to the S due to the different memory architecture.

If that were the case, you'd expect better performance from XboneX. 1080p 60FPS/4K 30FPS is still woeful for a fighting game...

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So graphic mode on Pro has better AA and still maintains 60 fps? what is the reason of performance mode then?
I'm almost wondering, and it's probably wrong, if it's not even Pro enhanced. Perhaps there is dynamic res that rarely if ever appears on PS4 base? So both modes just run at 1080p on Pro. The lack of 4K HUD, for instance, surprised me.

Probably nonsense, though.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
I'm almost wondering, and it's probably wrong, if it's not even Pro enhanced. Perhaps there is dynamic res that rarely if ever appears on PS4 base? So both modes just run at 1080p on Pro. The lack of 4K HUD, for instance, surprised me.

What do you mean by this? That the improvement for both AA and shaders happen to be the same for the base PS4 version between performance and quality as well?

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Damn shame that outside of Capcom, not many other Japanese developers are fully utilizing Pro/X.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
What do you mean by this? That the improvement for both AA and shaders happen to be the same for the base PS4 version between performance and quality as well?
Yeah, that's true. It's just that the difference is so insanely small that I almost wondered if I was seeing things or if it was tied to res. Like I said, probably nonsense. It just doesn't feel properly Pro enhanced when playing.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

There must be a Pro enhancement or performance mode on PS4 Pro would also be 900p like performance mode is on base PS4, right?

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I never 'like' videos on YouTube and I doubt many other people do either, but for John, we should all upvote this one!

OP
OP
chandoog

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
There must be a Pro enhancement or performance mode on PS4 Pro would also be 900p like performance mode is on base PS4, right?

Unless there's a dynamic resolution toggle and the Pro's specs allow it to always remain at the top end of it ( Maybe that's thinking too much lol )

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Probably right. I was theoretically thinking there is dynamic res that doesn't trigger in performance mode on a base but does so on Pro.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Also, 6 may have some kind of yellow hue but 5 had red burnt skin lol

Yeah, both games have kinda unaesthetic lighting. One is dark, dull and reddish, the other one is overly bright and has a noticable yellow hue.

Here's by the way another direct comparison of Ryu's hand in his default ninja suits:

n0bw7iicidcmkbyzg.jpg

Character models were definitely improved. One has to zoom in a little to fully appreciate it. ;)

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I skipped DOA6

I cannot support mediocrity. This is DOA5 Remix..and prob even worst.

I am glad many voted with their wallets as well.

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Yeah, that's true. It's just that the difference is so insanely small that I almost wondered if I was seeing things or if it was tied to res. Like I said, probably nonsense. It just doesn't feel properly Pro enhanced when playing.

Makes sense. I haven't seen the video yet nor have I played the game, but I assume that by doing those comparisons for a living can make you over-analyse some of it sometimes, like chasing a ghost or something :)

Thanks for the analysis! I will definitely watch it later tonight!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
A bit disappointed that they could not get the 1X running smoothly. the 1080p60 is nice but they surely could have pushed to 1440 or just added more graphical options for the 180p mode. Even with that nice 4k mode, you're at a disadvantage if you play people at 1080 60.

Expected more out of a DOA game. Ho hum, back to SC6 for now then.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Just watched the video, lots of details and info as usual! What a shame about the X1 version.
Just a few bits though:
- The loading time bit is a bit weird. It's obviously the slowest in the series, but still faster than games like Tekken and Soul Calibur (or most fighting games this gen to be honest). Would have been interesting to see a comparison about this, as adding a VS screen doesn't really solve the issue.
- Speaking of Soul Calibur, while costume materials indeed look better in this one than in DOA, in no world does Soul Calibur 6 look more impressive globally than DOA6 (or any fighting game this gen), that was a weird nitpick.
- For the usual season pass critic: yeah it might seem like a bad deal. It's still cheaper per costume than any fighting game on the market, and you can buy anything individually if needed (still for cheaper than any other fighting game). And you can ignore it too, as said in the video.

Anyway, really hoping that TN keeps patching it over the next few months, especially the input delay that they will hopefully fix sooner than later, just like SFV and Tekken 7 had to be updated on that side.
Really cool footage of DOA2 at the end too! I'd love a DF Retro on the series, DOA2 Ultimate (the Xbox version) still looks amazing to this day, and other games in the series were really impressive.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
I hope they patch the full screen issue on PC. Everytime I launch it in "full screen" the resolution isn't scaled correctly (evident in small black borders on screen shots) so I have to go in settings and switch to borderless and then back to full screen, because 1. That'll fix it and 2. Borderless crushes the colors for some reason.

Also, as a long time DOA player, why is everyone freaking out about the season pass price now? There were SEVEN of these for the last game, lol.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, both games have kinda unaesthetic lighting. One is dark, dull and reddish, the other one is overly bright and has a noticable yellow hue.

Here's by the way another direct comparison of Ryu's hand in his default ninja suits:

n0bw7iicidcmkbyzg.jpg

Character models were definitely improved. One has to zoom in a little to fully appreciate it. ;)

Yeah models looks like the biggest improvement although it's also the less noticeable think, seems seems to be done from scratch instead o5 improved from 5 (faces are totally from 5 but probably higher poly too)

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Soul Calibur, while costume materials indeed look better in this one than in DOA, in no world does Soul Calibur 6 look more impressive globally than DOA6 (or any fighting game this gen), that was a weird nitpick.
Really? I loaded up SC6 right after DOA6 and it was like jumping to next-gen. I feel like it looks SIGNIFICANTLY better overall even though DOA6 also still looks great in its own right.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Really? I loaded up SC6 right after DOA6 and it was like jumping to next-gen. I feel like it looks SIGNIFICANTLY better overall even though DOA6 also still looks great in its own right.
It's of lower quality in terms of model quality, environment quality, loading times (on console at least), resolution... It looks like a closer jump from SC5/LS in many ways.
But it has indeed better materials, input latency, lighting (which really doesn't help DOA's look).

edit: not saying it's a bad game or looks bad to clarify, just that I have a hard time seeing how it'd look better than any other fighting game in 3D this gen (DOA6, SFV, T7, KI, GG). Well, it looks better than KOF XIV, but...

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
DOA6 looks much better than SC6 imo but I never really liked the visuals of SC6. I always hated the blurry backgrounds.

Overall it's my favorite 3D fighting game this gen and my favorite DOA yet. Even the music is great. Graphics mode should run fine on Xbox Two.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
My guess the reason they included the 4k Native for Xbox One X is to future prrof it for the next Xbox. Technically the next Xbox should run it at 60fps with no issues and no further patching required.

Love to heart Darkx and Digital Foundry thought about this.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's of lower quality in terms of model quality, environment quality, loading times (on console at least), resolution... It looks like a closer jump from SC5/LS in many ways.
But it has indeed better materials, input latency, lighting (which really doesn't help DOA's look).

edit: not saying it's a bad game or looks bad to clarify, just that I have a hard time seeing how it'd look better than any other fighting game in 3D this gen (DOA6, SFV, T7, KI, GG). Well, it looks better than KOF XIV, but...
Hmm, interesting. I've only played SC6 on PC myself but I thought it looked insanely good. DOA6 has a very last-gen+ look to it in comparison which is kind of neat in its own way. I honestly feel like SC6 is the best looking 3D fighter out there right now. It's pretty much tailor made for my tastes in visuals.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So basically premium console are almost ignored. ...I mean 4k with unstable fps on the X or 1080p for all. Well at least on the X they tried something. Pro is almost ignored like the other recent rally car game. Sony should push more developers to achieve as minimum higher CBR res on the Pro via toolkit. Their uninterested attitude with such stuff is annoying as hell as pro owner. But with the ps5 so close, they will care even less.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
(faces are totally from 5 but probably higher poly too)

Yes, even though they reused the exact same look for many characters from 5 they still pumped more polygons in them for a more rounded look:

More polygons are making the profile (especially the chin) rounder:

46647965414_a2c0fe835b_o.png

The hair (the two weird buns) got significantly more polygons as well:

33495017548_bd0e5ec3ae_o.png

Since Soul Calibur 6 was mentioned in here, that game did not improve the base models of any of the characters from SC4 or SC5. They have the same low polygon faces, hands, feet etc.