• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

Summary:

if no one wants to do a summary, I can do one
  • DF Retro for FF7 will be coming later this week
  • lots of motion blur and bokeh
  • Alex thinks it looks better than Advent Children (it does)
  • materials and lighting seems better better in FF7R
  • FMV and realtime transition is near-seemless
  • Lost Odyssey was the last time they recall such a seemless transition
  • AO, Bloom, particles, PRAISE UNREAL ENGINE
  • no camera motion blur but lots of per-object motion blur during gameplay
  • TAA as in pretty much all UE4 games (Dictator said in another thread that UE4 and other engines can't work without TAA)
  • shadows has ghosting due to TAA
  • hair dithers at low res and when characters are far away
  • transparent textures are noisy up close
  • FF15 doesn't have as much post-processing
  • FF7 has dynamic and baked lighting
  • FF15 has a real time GI and real-time ToD
  • indirect lighting is baked in FF7
  • direct lighting is real-time
  • game has fixed ToD
  • lots of detail in the environment design
  • opening mission has a lot of detail like modeled brick walls and floors
  • PS4P, 2880x1620 (lowest 1368p)
  • 10 hours of recorded footage, literally 5 instances of frame drops
  • only drops one frame
  • PS4 1080p, couldn't find lower resolution
  • base also performs practically flawlessly
  • spikes when beginning combat or loading new area
  • texture quality is really uneven
  • after the reactor/town section, texture quality becomes really uneven
  • lots of low res textures, unknown if it's a bug or engine limitaton
  • ay yo, why Cloud's apartment door texture so uggo?
  • texture variety might be the cause of low texture quality
  • running moves you faster than the texture can load
  • Aoife (reviewer of the game for Eurogamer) mentioned texture loading issue
  • Richard Leadbetter encountered the same issue on internal HDD and external SSD
  • Tom Morgan also encounter the issue
  • same issue with Star Wars Fallen Order (UE4 issue?)
  • SAVE US NEXT GEN!
  • still a beautiful game tho

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some of those horribly low-res textures have to be a bug. Although who knows, seems there's a lot of texture pop-in in the game.

The locked 30fps on both consoles sure is nice tho

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Very strange to see those texture issues. Reminds me of the type of thing you'd see last gen on Unreal Engine 3.0 and 3.5

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
texture problem discussion starts at 10:40. it looks so horrible. hoping for a patch until friday.

video is spoiler free btw. but they show some stuff from later chapters (i spotted stuff from ch. 8).

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Super solid performance on both PS4 and Pro, pretty much locked at 30 is great to see. Seems like the game is front-loaded and all the best looking and performing stuff is right at the start. Shame there is no 1X version to test out the extra RAM and GPU power but hopefully, they can do something about the excessive texture loading in but that is an issue with UE4. Seems like a game that will be perfect for Next-gen, since it would be able to hit 60 and higher res.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, some of those textures have to be a bug. No way this is intended, especially not in objects that you see often or in cutscenes like Cloud's door.
Popins are probably hardware constrained. Not the only game that has these problems, sadly.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Aerith's house area is riddled with texture inconsistencies. Game overall looks amazing, but the little details that you tend look scour when playing a visually amazing game tend to all look pretty gross here.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Hopefully this is addressed in a day one patch or shortly after. Sure I know its playable and totally fine but I definitely want to avoid playing it like this if possible because texture pop in is one thing but low res textures like shown in the video are something completely different.

I mean it wouldn't be the first thing that wasn't addressed in their top games so who knows but I'm praying.

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Pro runs at 30 fps@1620p variable res when needed.
PS3 30 runs at @1080p

Both pretty much locked 30, only very very minor dips.

Great showing of UE effects like per-object motion blur etc. First section looks really amazing, later zones have some fairly poor texture quality and texture loading issues (Possible bug, possibly just tech limitations.)

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I believe the doors and the walls are a texture bug, not sure about the manhole and other small texture on the ground tho

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018
The door textures are definitely a bug, they look almost unloaded. Thing is, even textures that do load (even with some delay) are 80% of the time mid-to-low res. Who knows if those are intended or not.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I read someone's early impressions here about the low res texture issues he was seeing. I wasn't expecting them to look that bad though!

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently there's a patch coming day 1 that will fix some of these texture issues.

twitter.com

Suzi on Twitter

“I spoke too soon about speaking too soon about the graphics. Apparently a patch is coming day 1. Worry not everyone!”

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I wonder how FFXV would have looked in UE4 in 2016, the engine has improved so much in a few years, but it would have been interesting. I hope to see Luminous again next gen.

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco
This game sounds like a huge disappointment...

I'll pass on playing it on Thursday and wait until Friday...

Joking aside, this is the only video I've watched on the game aside from the trailers. I passed on the demo because I didn't wanna get too hyped...

I'm now in full neck scratching Tyrone mode...

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The terrible texture have been mentioned a lot in the OT by people who got it early, it's really bad. No idea how it's possible some people haven't noticed it. No surprise that media critics hardly mentioned it either.

Oct 28, 2017
On PC at least if you run out of VRAM (video memory) in UE4 then it just completely stops loading in textures and you just get a blurry mess on the ones it doesn't.

Was a nightmare when I had a GTX690 with only 2GB VRAM, had plenty of juice but UE4's memory requirements on Fable Legends Beta meant lots of unloaded textures even when it was still running at 60fps.

That's what I'd guess was the issue anyway.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I think this game suffers heavily from "demo-worthy polish". They made sure the early sections were really presentable and slacked on the remainder of the game, because that's what previews were going to show and that's good demo material, and I think that's a shame.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I hope John also talks about the PC version of the old FF7 version in the retro episode and how bad it is, especially when it comes to the "seemless" fmv to gameplay transition. First, I could always say there will be an fmv because my odd was spinning up, then it was trying to adjust the laser where it needed to be and it took seconds with the same basically being choppy or outright pausing until the data from disc was ready. Not to mention the unbelievable low resolution of the fmv which was even worse to see then the low resolution pre rendered environment.
I couldn't believe how much better it was on PSX once I saw how that game ran.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think this game suffers heavily from "demo-worthy polish". They made sure the early sections were really presentable and slacked on the remainder of the game, because that's what previews were going to show and that's good demo material, and I think that's a shame.
Its an odd one because those weren't even the only sections demoed; to the press at least. They previewed chapters 5 and 7 as well - do those chapters suffer from similar texture issues I wonder? Because that would be very odd overall in terms of having that variable quality throughout the entire game at the expense of what Square deemed 'set piece' moments.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
The terrible texture have been mentioned a lot in the OT by people who got it early, it's really bad. No idea how it's possible some people haven't noticed it. No surprise that media critics hardly mentioned it either.
It's so bad that I can't take anyone who doesn't notice it seriously. Does DF mention if they reached out to Square about a possible patch? Chapter 8 didn't look like this in the trailers from what I remember. Might need to go back and check.

Mindman

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A day 1 patch would have been out by now, if they had one. There won't be one, but I hope this a bug. I mean this game is 100 GB or whatever for a reason: Textures.

Glassboy

Oct 27, 2017
The texture issues are unfortunate. It was the worst in chapter 8 so far. I'm currently on chapter 13. Definitely something that needs to be fixed. It takes you out of the game. I didn't think it was terrible until chapter 8 when it directly affected my enjoyment of the game.

master15

Nov 28, 2017
Another great analysis. Disappointed to hear about texture bug, I hope they do remedy this. This would be my first FF experience but might wait until they fix this.

LowParry

Oct 26, 2017
Look at it this way. People have played and beat the game. Day 1 patch comes in and fixes textures. Guess what they'll do next? Hard Mode time :D

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The textures are really bad. No idea that got past QA to be quite honest. Especially when some cutscenes actually point the camera at a door someone is going into, it's right in front of you and is really distracting. Hope there is a day 1 patch to remedy this.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
This has to be a bug right? No way they were okay with it looking that bad during QA.
But who knows?

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Another great analysis. Disappointed to hear about texture bug, I hope they do remedy this. This would be my first FF experience but might wait until they fix this.
Are people really going to wait to play this because of a door texture??

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Are people really going to wait to play this because of a door texture??

I've played through most of every game and this isn't just your usual random bad texture that every game has. It's literally terribly blurry LoD and environmental textures constantly visible during any day time chapters. There are close up dialog cutscenes where the entire door or wall texture behind the NPC is just one big blur.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Even the Easy Allies review commented on the texture issue and pop-in, which surprised me cause they weren't really showing it in the video but it must've been obvious enough to comment on it.